RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Liberty @ Fever - 5/16/24
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 05/17/24 10:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/-kd2GdHWVhg?si=4br-0xQs6FPNfIpY

Stephen A Smith with a harsh reality for the Indiana Fever and their fans starting at the 2:30 min mark Shocked Shocked

PostPosted: 05/17/24 11:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:
It’s almost like DT was right and not just a the mean spirited drunk everyone accused her of being.

Two things can be true at the same time.

I mean, he said "not just."

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
johnjohnW

PostPosted: 05/17/24 11:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:
It’s almost like DT was right and not just a the mean spirited drunk everyone accused her of being.

Approved!

PUmatty

PostPosted: 05/17/24 11:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing

jap

PostPosted: 05/17/24 12:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[skip.

Last edited by jap on 05/17/24 12:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
jap

PostPosted: 05/17/24 12:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Skip

Last edited by jap on 05/17/24 12:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
jap

skip

Last edited by jap on 05/17/24 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
jap

tfan wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:

Then comes the big question; will fans still be excited to see a 2-7 team with Clark?

Besides the losses, Clark isn't providing the excitement she did in college right now. Averaging 14.5 points per game in 2 games versus 28.4 in her college career. Not pushing the pace the same. I think Clark-drawn fans will lose interest if Clark in the WNBA can't come close to college Clark.

Is this really a surprise? What did you think was going to happen? Caitlin is facing players stronger, faster, quicker, and smarter than any team players she has faced to this point in her life.

When the highly acclaimed Chamiqie Holdsclaw made her rookie start in the WNBA, the idiots in the press were Christening her "the Savior of the WNBA." The veteran WNBA players didn't take that well at all and started speaking up, saying Chamique was not going to dominate anyone much less be the "Savior" of the league. Chamique, who has been one of favorite players, did very well her rookie season, winning ROTY honors. However, like everyone else before and like Caitlin, she had to deal with the rough culture shock of transitioning to the pros from.the collegiate ranks.

I am NOT a DT fan, but she was essentially saying the same things other savvy heads were already pointing out. This is not new yo basketball or any other major sport. One has to become acclimated to the higher standards of a professional league. Caitlin and the other young rookie wannabe stars will find their groove, but they will have to find it via a baptism of WNBA fire.

PostPosted: 05/17/24 12:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The league has improved quite a bit since The Claw was the anointed one. And the transition is harder for guards. The college game is a guard's game, the W really isn't.

You and Pinocchio are probably related
Full of criss-crossed fits, you lie all the time
Your tongue should be embarrassed, you're a threat to mankind
mercfan3

PostPosted: 05/17/24 2:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:
pilight wrote:
Is Sides on the hot seat already?

How many games did Jenny Boucek last in Seattle once they got Stewart? I can’t remember if she made it the whole first season or not.

The fans begging for Sides to be fired and replaced with Bluder are going to destroy this franchise Laughing Laughing

Tbh I understand the criticism of Sides to an extent.

I agree with her in that CC absolutely has flaws in her game.

But she does a lot of things well. Why not work within the strengths of your most talented offensive player in her rookie season and tell her to work on her midrange game and faster decision making in the offseason.

No one told any other superstar to not play their game, why do it to Clark?

PostPosted: 05/17/24 2:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
The league has improved quite a bit since The Claw was the anointed one. And the transition is harder for guards. The college game is a guard's game, the W really isn't.

Tell that to Sue or Arike or DT or Alana!! Feel free to add those I forgot.

PEACE & LOVE GO MYSTICS!!!!!

PostPosted: 05/17/24 2:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

greg5222 wrote:
pilight wrote:

Tell that to Sue or Arike or DT or Alana!! Feel free to add those I forgot.

PEACE & LOVE GO MYSTICS!!!!!

Three of those four came into the league at least 20 years ago. That you are going back that far supports the point.

jap

PostPosted: 05/17/24 3:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Chamique was only one example I chose, and I could have chosen from a number of sports. The point is: any rookie, no matter how talented, will require time to adapt to professional play.

PostPosted: 05/17/24 4:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm baffled as to why Sides would tell Clark to change her game when there's not a lot of down/practice time as she pointed out...Clark can work on her midrange game during the 1-month Olympic break...Also, Sides should've been more prepared considering she already knew Clark/Boston/Smith would all be starters.......Dunn dropped the ball by not going after SDS or Cloud and instead signing KLS..........It's almost as if the GM/HC are intentionally sabotaging the franchise to get another lottery pick.

pilight

PostPosted: 05/17/24 4:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Dunn dropped the ball by not going after SDS or Cloud and instead signing KLS..........It's almost as if the GM/HC are intentionally sabotaging the franchise to get another lottery pick.

Maybe she did go after them. Just because a player signs somewhere else doesn't mean your team didn't make an effort.

You and Pinocchio are probably related
Full of criss-crossed fits, you lie all the time
Your tongue should be embarrassed, you're a threat to mankind
zune69

PostPosted: 05/17/24 4:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
zune69 wrote:
Dunn dropped the ball by not going after SDS or Cloud and instead signing KLS..........It's almost as if the GM/HC are intentionally sabotaging the franchise to get another lottery pick.

Maybe she did go after them. Just because a player signs somewhere else doesn't mean your team didn't make an effort.

Diggins alluded to Indiana/Dunn not being interested in signing her.

Here is the tweet

https://x.com/SkyDigg4/status/1743389265525121040

Last edited by zune69 on 05/17/24 4:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shades

PostPosted: 05/17/24 4:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
pilight wrote:
zune69 wrote:

Hers is the tweet

What position would you have these expensive free agents play, knowing Clark is going to be your Day 1 starter? Mentor off the bench? Starting off-guards? They both probably want to be THE lead guards for their teams, so why risk not respecting these players’ desires (especially in Diggins case) and completely destroying team chemistry, as if you haven’t seen this from Diggins before?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
zune69

PostPosted: 05/17/24 5:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
zune69 wrote:
pilight wrote:
zune69 wrote:

Hers is the tweet

What position would you have these expensive free agents play, knowing Clark is going to be your Day 1 starter? Mentor off the bench? Starting off-guards? They both probably want to be THE lead guards for their teams, so why risk not respecting these players’ desires (especially in Diggins case) and completely destroying team chemistry, as if you haven’t seen this from Diggins before?

At this point in her career and after the drama in Phoenix...I believe SDS is willing to sacrifice to win a championship......SDS/Clark would've complemented one another perfectly......Opposing teams are putting their best defender on Clark and double-teaming her...SDS would've taken advantage of that...Indy also needs a defender and someone who can break down the defense off the dribble....If Loyd can get 16-20 shot attempts playing with SDS then so could Clark.....Skylar would've been perfect.

Clark/SDS would've shared ball-handling duties...Either player could facilitate/Initiate the offense and both players could score

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 05/17/24 6:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
zune69 wrote:

Thanks for sharing that wisdom.

PostPosted: 05/17/24 10:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
I'm baffled as to why Sides would tell Clark to change her game when there's not a lot of down/practice time as she pointed out...Clark can work on her midrange game during the 1-month Olympic break...Also, Sides should've been more prepared considering she already knew Clark/Boston/Smith would all be starters.......Dunn dropped the ball by not going after SDS or Cloud and instead signing KLS..........It's almost as if the GM/HC are intentionally sabotaging the franchise to get another lottery pick.

I keep seeing this but where did Sides say that she's changing Clark's game? How I heard it, she has encouraged her to take more mid range shots....aka if you're open, shoot it. Isn't that encouraging her to shoot it more? Giving her confidence to shoot it wherever?

Lastly, defense is too good and she's not athletic or big enough to pull a heliocentric type offense in the W. Encouraging her to get the ball out quickly and if necessary the ball will find her back is what's going to be best for getting her open shots.

tfan

PostPosted: 05/17/24 11:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think Christie Sides has said that much about changing Clark's game. I had heard via YouTubers that she didn't want Clark shooting logo threes. But in looking at the interview she did with Linn Dunn right after the draft Sides was talking about the rest of the team:

Quote:
"Yeah, I've been asked by some of our players, you know, what, the logo threes, how many are we gonna take? Well, how many are we gonna practice and are you gonna make them in practice? You know that's Caitlin's range. And that's what she has shown the world what she can do. Uhm, we're gonna take the best shot available for our team, across the board. But my gosh, I mean, she broke the record, on what, I don't even know that the feet is. On that shot that she took, almost forty feet. I mean, and it was a step back almost for her. So, she's got the strength and the ability to make those shots. Which makes it really difficult on how you guard her. And where you pick her up. I think you saw late, in the in the, series where people were picking her up full court just to get the ball out of her hands. Cuz they didn't even want a chance for her to get going from that range. "

Then in this media availability interview she says that Clark will come off screens open for a long two, but won't shoot it. And she wants her to shoot those. She also says that Clark has a history in college of "hanging out and dancing" (and I missed this the first time I watched it) - after she makes a pass. Sides wants her to make a decision in half a second - after Clark has passed the ball - on whether to cut or go set a screen.

Quote:
Q: "Christie when you look at Caitlin, she took two two-pointers in the first preseason game, three today. Is there a balance, what are you seeing that's kinda causing that, is there a balance you'd like to see with that. Is that something you'd like to address?

CS: "Yeah, I think she's used to some shots that she's taken in the last few years, that are just those deep shots. And, I don't know, there's times she comes off ball screens where she's open in that long two area. And we've got to get her comfortable taking that long two. Ugh, she's gonna get looks. She's gonna get open looks. .She's gotta figure out, I gave her a rule the other day. She's got point 5 seconds to make a decision. When she gets off the ball and she hits one of our high posts, somebody in the high post, she has a habit of hanging out and dancing. That's what she's done. It's these habits that we've got to break. She's got players round her now that she can get out, she can go screen and the ball's gonna get back to her. And that's what she hasn't had in the past. And that's what we've been trying to show her and explain to her."

<iframe width="453" height="806" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JEOeSCfKAaQ" title="Christie Sides on habits Caitlin Clark needs to break" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" referrerpolicy="strict-origin-when-cross-origin" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by tfan on 05/18/24 10:48 am; edited 2 times in total
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 05/18/24 12:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jap wrote:
pilight wrote:

Chamique was only one example I chose, and I could have chosen from a number of sports. The point is: any rookie, no matter how talented, will require time to adapt to professional play.

But , but , buttt….shes the savior and the greatest women’s player ever…..right?

PostPosted: 05/18/24 1:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
jap wrote:
pilight wrote:

But , but , buttt….shes the savior and the greatest women’s player ever…..right?

The idiots in the media who are always, always trying to push the next big thing and trying to provoke animosity between players by deliberately taking negative slants to anything & everything that is communicated can always be counted on to stir the proverbial pot whenever they can. It's the only way some of these media types believe can keep themselves and their silly takes on happenings 'relevant.'

PostPosted: 05/18/24 7:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DTP wrote:
zune69 wrote:

I keep seeing this but where did Sides say that she's changing Clark's game? How I heard it, she has encouraged her to take more mid range shots....aka if you're open, shoot it. Isn't that encouraging her to shoot it more? Giving her confidence to shoot it wherever?

Lastly, defense is too good and she's not athletic or big enough to pull a heliocentric type offense in the W. Encouraging her to get the ball out quickly and if necessary the ball will find her back is what's going to be best for getting her open shots.

She said she doesn’t like the logo threes, that she wants her comfortable with the midrange game, that she doesn’t like how long CC has the ball in her hands. Etc..

All things (outside of the logo threes. Leave that be) she can work on, but like..work with what she does well now. And give her homework in the off season.

PostPosted: 05/18/24 11:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:

She said she doesn’t like the logo threes

I think people misinterpreted what she said in response to a question about Caitlin taking logo threes. In this press conference with Linn Dunn she says the team asked her about logo threes and she addressed the team taking them when she said "can you make them in practice?". And then says "You know that's Caitlin's range. And that's what she has shown the world what she can do. ... So, she's got the strength and the ability to make those shots. "

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rseUxo7O3gk?si=mOlE9uKZnR-b2aom" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" referrerpolicy="strict-origin-when-cross-origin" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Quote:
that she doesn’t like how long CC has the ball in her hands.

Unless there is another quote, the "point five seconds to make a decision" Sides stated, was in reference to Clark not cutting or moving after she passed the ball. Clark was "hanging out and dancing" without the ball waiting for a pass back to her behind the arc, while Sides wants her to make a cut or set a screen.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: