RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

Let this be the last (plastic) straw debate

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
justintyme



Joined: 08 Jul 2012
Posts: 7808
Location: Northfield, MN


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/06/19 8:56 am    ::: Let this be the last (plastic) straw debate Reply Reply with quote

Let this be the last (plastic) straw debate

Quote:
What's more, plastic straws have almost nothing to do with the climate crisis. We make a mistake when we blend generic environmentalism, as important as it is, with the specific issue of fighting the carbonization of our atmosphere. They also aren't a big source of plastic in the ocean...

Meanwhile, many Republicans use the ridiculous straw bans as a way to avoid talking about the deeper crisis. The Trump presidential campaign slapped "Trump" on a packet of reusable recyclable straws -- ironically exactly the kind of product that straw banners want to promote -- to sell as a way to "stand with President Trump."...

Elizabeth Warren, on the other hand, pointed the way forward on Wednesday. She sighed when host Chris Cuomo asked her to respond to President Trump's war on energy-saving lightbulbs, saying, "Give me a break!" She argued that the fossil fuel industry wants us caught up discussing lightbulbs, straws, and cheeseburgers, when the truth is that "70% of the carbon that we're throwing into the air comes from 3 industries." She's going to start with that 70%, and then, she admits, we can turn to the other 30% and think about consumer choice. But we can't start with straws and lightbulbs.



_________________
↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
jammerbirdi



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 19934



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/06/19 2:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If this country elects Elizabeth Warren we will have turned a corner. Not on Trump, on all of them. The last fifty fucking years. Will it solve all the problems of the world or even this county? No way. It’ll probably be just a blip on the long way down to wherever the hell it is we’re definitely going. But we really need that blip right about now.



_________________
Falsehood will fly on the wings of the wind, and carry its tales to every corner of the earth; whilst truth lags behind; her steps slow and solemn, she has neither the vigour nor activity to overtake her enemy. - Thomas Francklin
cthskzfn



Joined: 21 Nov 2004
Posts: 11865
Location: In a world where a dbag like Trump isn't potus.


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/06/19 8:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
If this country elects Elizabeth Warren we will have turned a corner. Not on Trump, on all of them. The last fifty fucking years. Will it solve all the problems of the world or even this county? No way. It’ll probably be just a blip on the long way down to wherever the hell it is we’re definitely going. But we really need that blip right about now.


x_______________



_________________
Silly, stupid white people might be waking up.
tfan



Joined: 31 May 2010
Posts: 7477



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/15/19 12:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I posted in the comments section below an article on Seattle banning plastic straws. I noted that 90% of the plastic in the ocean comes from 10 rivers which poor countries are using as the place to dump trash instead of garbage dumps. The prevailing sentiment was that we (developed countries) should not criticize them for doing what we did in the past and we should instead set an example and do our part (such as banning straws).


Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin