Board Junkies Forums

Los Angeles Sparks 2022
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SportsGuru

PostPosted: 05/30/22 9:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
There are at least 3 people in the Sparks organization that were part of the game/scrimmage. So while a lot of information is coming out now, I can't imagine those that were part of the game didn't already address before they welcomed her with open arms to the team.

Yeah, exactly. Back when it happened the word obviously spread pretty fast because plenty of players were saying things about it on social media (without any specifics, but if you already knew what they were talking about then you knew what they were talking about). So presumably the Sparks organisation also knew.
But even if they didn't (or if they're playing the charade of pretending they didn't know until now), I'm not really sure what they should be expected to do about something that happened outside of their jurisdiction like this.
For the Opals it is simple, and has already happened.
For the Sparks it is more complicated. I would imagine that it has already been addressed and dealt with.

Outside Of Their Jurisdiction

Give me a break, racial insults and bullying is outside of a Sports Team' Jurisdiction but Domestic Abuse isn't. I don't appreciate someone calling a black person a monkey. I wouldn't want Liz Cambage on the Mystics team.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 05/30/22 9:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
There are at least 3 people in the Sparks organization that were part of the game/scrimmage. So while a lot of information is coming out now, I can't imagine those that were part of the game didn't already address before they welcomed her with open arms to the team.

Yeah, exactly. Back when it happened the word obviously spread pretty fast because plenty of players were saying things about it on social media (without any specifics, but if you already knew what they were talking about then you knew what they were talking about). So presumably the Sparks organisation also knew.
But even if they didn't (or if they're playing the charade of pretending they didn't know until now), I'm not really sure what they should be expected to do about something that happened outside of their jurisdiction like this.
For the Opals it is simple, and has already happened.
For the Sparks it is more complicated. I would imagine that it has already been addressed and dealt with.

Outside Of Their Jurisdiction

Give me a break, racial insults and bullying is outside of a Sports Team' Jurisdiction but Domestic Abuse isn't. I don't appreciate someone calling a black person a monkey. I wouldn't want Liz Cambage on the Mystics team.

I wrote a too-long response to this. But the short version is:
I wouldn't want her on my team either. But the Sparks knew the deal, they made their choice, they took the risk and chose forgiveness, and that is their right.

PostPosted: 05/30/22 12:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:

I wrote a too-long response to this. But the short version is:
I wouldn't want her on my team either. But the Sparks knew the deal, they made their choice, they took the risk and chose forgiveness, and that is their right.

Yep, Nneka reiterated that in this article.

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/34009289/sparks-liz-cambage-denies-directing-racial-slur-nigerian-team-pre-olympic-scrimmage-las-vegas

Shades

PostPosted: 05/30/22 1:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Okay, now I’m seeing a couple things in a different light. Cambage got sucker punched going to the bench after the on court physicality, and that’s when words came out.

Also, Cambage was never kicked off the Opals. She received a reprimand but was still eligible for national team play. Cambage withdrew. Opals asked later if she’d be interested in being on World Cup team and she said she wasn’t. That seems to be the main motivation for the Opals to now dig this incident up and throw Cambage under the bus.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
adamj95

PostPosted: 05/30/22 2:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/kelseybone3/status/1531167889990074370?s=21&t=XN2XJAn2HV0dAXR4Cx34YQ

Quote:
Welcome to the WNBA where kneeling to protest unarmed black people being murdered by the police will cause you to lose your job. BUT being a DOCUMENTED racist and bigot gets you a second chance! ☺️

PostPosted: 05/30/22 3:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

adamj95 wrote:
https://twitter.com/kelseybone3/status/1531167889990074370?s=21&t=XN2XJAn2HV0dAXR4Cx34YQ

Quote:
Welcome to the WNBA where kneeling to protest unarmed black people being murdered by the police will cause you to lose your job. BUT being a DOCUMENTED racist and bigot gets you a second chance! ☺️

When did anyone lose their job for kneeling?

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 05/30/22 6:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Cambage was never kicked off the Opals. She received a reprimand but was still eligible for national team play. Cambage withdrew. Opals asked later if she’d be interested in being on World Cup team and she said she wasn’t. That seems to be the main motivation for the Opals to now dig this incident up and throw Cambage under the bus.

My understanding at the time was that Basketball Australia still wanted Cambage on the Opals (for obvious talent-based reasons), but the players wanted her the hell away from the team after what went down. They have no power to kick her off the team so they said it's either her or us, take your pick. And that was when Cambage "left" the team.

I'm sure BA would have loved everyone to kiss and make up in time for the World Cup that is on home soil, and assemble a team with the best possible chance of success. Personally I don't think it was ever going to happen but BA would have been negligent in their duties not to at least try.

PostPosted: 05/30/22 6:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And then everyoe seemed to get into a "you're fired" "you can't fire me I already quit"-style whine fight. Not that anything around Cambage would ever devolve into that kind of situation or anything...

PostPosted: 05/30/22 7:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We all should know by now that the ONLY thing Liz cares about is making as much $$ as she possibly can. We also know that especially bad publicity makes more money than anything else. Liz makes money from posing nude for a site that specializes in tall, athletic women. Pretty sure she's made more money since the incident and will again get a bump from bringing this back into the public eye.

Liz is the big winner here. No matter how stupid, selfish, racist she is, it all helps her get more hits on the site and more $$. I wouldn't be at all surprised if she's the one who pushed this back out into the public.

And while we're at it, the only Sparks player I'd pick for my team is Nneka. The Sparks are the only team who would sign the rest of these damaged goods. (To be honest, 3 other teams have signed KLS, but traded her at their first opportunity - 4th team in 4 years - do I hear 5?)

~rAf
bryan_february_

PostPosted: 05/30/22 8:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm disappointed by Nneka's response. Bigotry right in front of her and she's dismissive, turning the other cheek. I guess she's okay with herself (and other Nigerian people) being called monkeys as long as it's coming from her teammate. I guess that's what's really important here.. not upsetting her buddy Liz. This is the president of the WNBA Players Association, by the way.

PostPosted: 05/30/22 8:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
We all should know by now that the ONLY thing Liz cares about is making as much $$ as she possibly can. We also know that especially bad publicity makes more money than anything else. Liz makes money from posing nude for a site that specializes in tall, athletic women. Pretty sure she's made more money since the incident and will again get a bump from bringing this back into the public eye.

Liz is the big winner here. No matter how stupid, selfish, racist she is, it all helps her get more hits on the site and more $$. I wouldn't be at all surprised if she's the one who pushed this back out into the public.

And while we're at it, the only Sparks player I'd pick for my team is Nneka. The Sparks are the only team who would sign the rest of these damaged goods. (To be honest, 3 other teams have signed KLS, but traded her at their first opportunity - 4th team in 4 years - do I hear 5?)

Just so you know, Liz also catches small squirrels and sets their tails aflame for fun. Twisted Evil

PostPosted: 05/30/22 8:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jap wrote:
Just so you know, Liz also catches small squirrels and sets their tails aflame for fun. :twisted:

I heard that she kicks old ladies down the stairs for their social security checks. 'Cause, you know, she's all about her money.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Rock Hard

PostPosted: 05/30/22 9:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So who is telling the truth?🤔

PostPosted: 05/30/22 9:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:

Both and neither. The truth is surely somewhere in the middle.

PostPosted: 05/30/22 9:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

That is entirely too nuanced a take for rebkell, when it comes to the subject of Liz Cambage.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 05/30/22 10:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

So there is no spoon.

PostPosted: 06/07/22 2:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Derek Fisher is out as head coach

Fred Williams will be the interim coach

PostPosted: 06/07/22 3:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Lots of couch turnover and not a plethora of candidates out there. I wonder if any teams will get more aggressive with pursuing coaches in a post Beck Hammon salary world.

boom*NNEKA*nneka

PostPosted: 06/07/22 4:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

I am pleasantly surprised that it happened this early in the season. The way he handled late game situations caused us to cough up at least two games already. Also, good timing with Sparks only playing two games in next week and a half. I hope Williams incorporates Toliver quickly and gives Carter more minutes. Canada was abysmal against Phoenix. Granted, she was coming back from injury but she fizzled out really quickly. If I were Coach Williams, my depth chart would be:

Carter/Canada
Toliver/Brown
Sykes/Samuelson/Burrell
N. Ogwumike/C. Ogwumike/Walker
Cambage/Nelson-Ododa

I assume that Atwell gets cut once Toliver joins the team. Though I think Samuelson does a lot of things well, I reintroduce Sykes to the first five for defense, which will be needed with Carter replacing Canada in the first five. Also, I think Canada needs at least two shooters to space the floor for her so putting her in the second unit with Brown and Samuelson helps.

After my initial excitement for the season fizzled out a bit, this coaching change restores my hope. Go Sparks!
Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 06/07/22 4:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, they've got almost a week of practice to get a sense of Fred's offense. Unfortunately for them, their first opponent is going to be a rested Aces team, so they'll probably lose that one, too.

myrtle

PostPosted: 06/07/22 5:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

when you have so many me, me, me players, even with loads of talent, it's not going to be easy for any coach.

pilight

PostPosted: 06/07/22 5:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sparks waive Amy Atwell

PostPosted: 06/07/22 5:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
when you have so many me, me, me players, even with loads of talent, it's not going to be easy for any coach.

good thing they fired the GM too!

PostPosted: 06/07/22 5:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PostPosted: 06/07/22 5:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This really isn't that complicated. In games where Chennedy Carter plays 16+ minutes the Sparks are 4-1. In games where she plays less than 16 minutes they are 1-6.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 10 of 15

Jump to: