Board Junkies Forums

Los Angeles Sparks 2022
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/16/22 10:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
It doesn't matter much, but I really don't get how players who didn't even average double-digit scoring in their final collegiate season can earn a Training Camp contract. Confused Like, what's the point of even extending an offer on the WNBA team's side? Extra practice players in Camp, I guess, though it still seems like a waste of money, even if small.

It depends on the player. I could make a case for 3 and D players such as Sam Thomas and Kai Crutchfield who seem able to score more when their team needs them.

I should specify, too. One reason I was so high on Kayla Jones (who also averaged below 10 PPG this year) was because she was very efficient from the field. Ditto Kai Crutchfield. Sam Thomas as you mentioned was very good from 3, and was Arizona’s premiere defender on the perimeter. All were efficient in all the right places.

Meanwhile, players like Horvat and Gordon didn’t even shoot 40% from the field, along with not scoring much. There’s just such a low chance at a future in this League for them, why bother? Confused

Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/16/22 12:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I imagine that, just like that third round of the draft you dislike so much, being in a WNBA training camp helps you get signed and paid overseas. So the teams do the players and agents a favour by at least filling out their 15 until the rest of the roster arrives. No harm in building better relationships with certain agents, and you never know which players might break out unexpectedly at some point.

Honestly, one of the major things that comes across from talking to people who actually work in the league is how much the human element affects things. From the outside it's so easy to see these players as lines of text on a page, and say why aren't teams/players/the league doing X or Y when it seems so obvious. It's amazing how often it comes down to relationships, or trust, or attitude, or generally stuff like that. If someone got cut and it doesn't make much sense, there's a decent chance that they're a dick. If someone's on the roster when they don't appear to be one of the best 11/12 players available, they're probably helping the team in some kind of character way.

Also, if you needed someone for camp who's probably going to be cut in a few days, maybe they were nearby already. Makes more sense than flying someone across the country if there's a player down the street who isn't massively different.

PostPosted: 04/16/22 12:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
I imagine that, just like that third round of the draft you dislike so much, being in a WNBA training camp helps you get signed and paid overseas.

The very overseas leagues that the W is trying to disincentivize/prevent players from joining in the future – though obviously that’s more so the stars they’re 'catering to.' And yep, being anti-3rd round is a hill I’ll always be willing to die on, with that being one of the reasons.

In an ideal world, unless you’re that unlikeable to the rest of the team, talent should win out – even while I completely get why character and relationships matter more. Things like who you know & who likes who almost always win out over who’s actually the best candidate for the job – the World of Business in a nutshell. 🙃

GEF34

PostPosted: 04/17/22 7:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
It doesn't matter much, but I really don't get how players who didn't even average double-digit scoring in their final collegiate season can earn a Training Camp contract. Confused Like, what's the point of even extending an offer on the WNBA team's side? Extra practice players in Camp, I guess, though it still seems like a waste of money, even if small.

Not everyone is going to be a scorer. Chantel Horvat for example her role was never a scorer at UCLA but she can do all the dirty work, can guard multiple position, will rebound, set screens, dive on the floor, get tips, fight for the ball, basically do all the things of a great practice player, she seems like the ideal person to bring in to training camp and maybe could earn an end of the bench spot, plus from the outside it seems like she is a great teammate and everyone loves her, so why not bring someone like that instead of someone who will not be happy with a role like that.

And in the past we have seen players who have asked to be released from teams or not accept training camp offers because they didn't want to be an end of the bench player so it seems to me the more players you can find like that the better because the college stars probably aren't going to be as accepting of just coming into fill spots till players arrive from overseas and fight for the 11th-12th spot on the roster.

SportsGuru

PostPosted: 04/18/22 9:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

Not everyone is going to be a scorer. Chantel Horvat for example her role was never a scorer at UCLA but she can do all the dirty work, can guard multiple position, will rebound, set screens, dive on the floor, get tips, fight for the ball, basically do all the things of a great practice player, she seems like the ideal person to bring in to training camp and maybe could earn an end of the bench spot, plus from the outside it seems like she is a great teammate and everyone loves her, so why not bring someone like that instead of someone who will not be happy with a role like that.

And in the past we have seen players who have asked to be released from teams or not accept training camp offers because they didn't want to be an end of the bench player so it seems to me the more players you can find like that the better because the college stars probably aren't going to be as accepting of just coming into fill spots till players arrive from overseas and fight for the 11th-12th spot on the roster.

Character and being a local player means a lot to me, I'm extremely happy Mike Thibault invited Jennifer Coleman of the US Naval Academy to the Mystics training camp. The Mystics roster is practically set but I have no doubt Jennifer Coleman will give her best at the Mystics training camp.

bballjunkie

PostPosted: 04/18/22 2:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="Stormeo"][quote="Richyyy"]I imagine that, just like that third round of the draft you dislike so much, being in a WNBA training camp helps you get signed and paid [b]overseas.[/b][/quote]

The very overseas leagues that the W is trying to disincentivize/prevent players from joining in the future – though obviously that’s more so the stars they’re 'catering to.' And yep, being anti-3rd round is a hill I’ll always be willing to die on, with that being one of the reasons.

In an ideal world, unless you’re that unlikeable to the rest of the team, talent should win out – even while I completely get why character and relationships matter more. Things like who you know & who likes who almost always win out over who’s actually the best candidate for the job – the World of Business in a nutshell. [size=16]🙃[/size][/quote]

If you buy the overseas crap, I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you. They make more than enough to cover a parking ticket WNBA fine, that was some bogus save face stuff for the Storm as both Stewie and Sue do not like the coaches.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/18/22 8:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
It doesn't matter much, but I really don't get how players who didn't even average double-digit scoring in their final collegiate season can earn a Training Camp contract. Confused

At least one player was a first round pick despite never even averaging five ppg in any of her collegiate seasons.

PostPosted: 04/18/22 9:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
It doesn't matter much, but I really don't get how players who didn't even average double-digit scoring in their final collegiate season can earn a Training Camp contract. Confused

At least one player was a first round pick despite never even averaging five ppg in any of her collegiate seasons.
She is still in the league too.😎

PostPosted: 04/18/22 10:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Stokes has been durable. Maybe that’s a trait a GM like Reeve should be taking more into consideration.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/19/22 11:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

You know as well as I do that her being a ‘Hussie’, as you say, made her an exception to “the rules.” Razz Being a great post defender & rim protector while making above 50% of her shots surely helped her cause out as well.

Again, I should’ve clarified my op to begin with, but I did at the top of this page. It’s really not as bad of a take as some on this thread are making it out to be. Surprised

Shades

PostPosted: 04/22/22 2:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder if WNBA prioritization will help make the decision easier for Kristi Toliver to retire. She’s with the Dallas Mavericks right now assistant coaching. I imagine next year would be no different unless the Mavericks don’t make the playoffs.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 04/30/22 10:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shoot your shot, Amy!!

PostPosted: 05/02/22 4:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Liz Angeles feeling the love

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/f6xuxkfKRJ0" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

PostPosted: 05/02/22 7:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Big Momma feels the Sparks will be scorers this season. All who have ears (and eyes), let them hear (and see)!

PostPosted: 05/02/22 2:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/f6xuxkfKRJ0" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

So help us out, Luuuc. Why is Liz dumping on her Aussie comrades? What did they do to her? 🤔

PostPosted: 05/02/22 7:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
Luuuc wrote:

So help us out, Luuuc. Why is Liz dumping on her Aussie comrades? What did they do to her? 🤔

I think it's just a standard case of "Oh you're dumping me? Well I am dumping you then!"
Last year when the Opals players gave management the ultimatum of either she goes or we all go, Liz coincidentally "withdrew" from the team. Since then I think it has sunk in that the team has moved on without her and won't be on their knees groveling for her to come back. Uhh, I mean they are failing to "protect and support" her. So she's trying to keep some control of the narrative.

Just normal Liz stuff. It's all good drama, and further proof that LA was the right place for her all along - just like she said all those years ago. (Can you believe it has been 11+ years?!!)

PostPosted: 05/02/22 8:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

she sounds to be in the upbeat manic phase of her swings.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 05/04/22 1:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NEWS:
@LASparks
have waived Te'a Cooper, Arella Guirantes, and Kianna Smith.

https://twitter.com/LASparksPR/status/1521915492054695937?s=20&t=mchHeT1Gy-aGL_D7KsHNeQ

PostPosted: 05/04/22 1:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Surprised, and not surprised at Cooper.

When LA traded for Carter I thought Cooper's days were numbered. When they added Canada and then Brown, I knew TC was gone.

I'm only a little surprised because I thought Fisher was high on Coop.

Last edited by zune69 on 05/04/22 1:46 pm; edited 4 times in total
lynxmania

PostPosted: 05/04/22 1:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Only surprising one there to me is Cooper. Thought Fisher would keep her around.

PostPosted: 05/04/22 2:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:
Only surprising one there to me is Cooper. Thought Fisher would keep her around.

Fisher loves him some tiny players! Yes, he has more tinies lined up to take Tea's place. Fisher seems to think that bringing in one really tall player will mitigate having so many tiny players on the court. It won't.

With Lexie Brown's size and game being so similar to Tea, I knew only one of them would make it out of camp. So, what does it mean when a player no other team wanted beats out the end of the roster? That describes most of the players on this roster (including Liz).

~rAf
Spark4Life

PostPosted: 05/04/22 5:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
lynxmania wrote:

Fisher loves him some tiny players! Yes, he has more tinies lined up to take Tea's place. Fisher seems to think that bringing in one really tall player will mitigate having so many tiny players on the court. It won't.

With Lexie Brown's size and game being so similar to Tea, I knew only one of them would make it out of camp. So, what does it mean when a player no other team wanted beats out the end of the roster? That describes most of the players on this roster (including Liz).

You sound bitter about something. Matt Barnes is that you? 🤣

boom*NNEKA*nneka

PostPosted: 05/04/22 6:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Somewhat surprised that they kept Lexie over Te'a, but it is what it is. So I think we are down to 14, including three who are either still competing overseas (Zahui B, KLS) or coaching in the NBA playoffs (Toliver). If they temporarily suspend those three and bring them back later, it looks like we start the season with the below 11

Canada/Brown
Carter/Atwell
Sykes/Walker/Burrell
N. Ogwumike/C. Ogwumike
Cambage/Nelson-Ododa

Then when Toliver, Zahui B, and KLS come back, I assume we would waive Nelson-Ododa and Brown or Atwell, assuming we can keep 12.

Toliver/Canada
Carter/(Atwell or Brown)
Sykes/Samuelson/Burrell
N. Ogwumike/C. Ogwumike/Walker
Cambage/Zahui B
Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/04/22 6:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

boom*NNEKA*nneka wrote:
Somewhat surprised that they kept Lexie over Te'a, but it is what it is. So I think we are down to 14, including three who are either still competing overseas (Zahui B, KLS) or coaching in the NBA playoffs (Toliver). If they temporarily suspend those three and bring them back later, it looks like we start the season with the below 11

Canada/Brown
Carter/Atwell
Sykes/Walker/Burrell
N. Ogwumike/C. Ogwumike
Cambage/Nelson-Ododa

You can't just do that. Temp suspended players remain on the salary cap. They would be wildly over when you include 14.

PostPosted: 05/04/22 8:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
boom*NNEKA*nneka wrote:

Canada/Brown
Carter/Atwell
Sykes/Walker/Burrell
N. Ogwumike/C. Ogwumike
Cambage/Nelson-Ododa

You can't just do that. Temp suspended players remain on the salary cap. They would be wildly over when you include 14.

You were exactly who I was hoping would respond. Thank you. I guess we have more cuts coming and will be starting with a small number of players on our opening day roster (i.e. 8 or 9)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 7 of 15

Jump to: