RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Magazine Previews

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 09/20/21 3:19 pm    ::: Magazine Previews Reply Reply with quote

Lindy's

1 UConn
2 South Carolina
3 Stanford
4 Maryland
5 Baylor
6 Louisville
7 NC State
8 Indiana
9 Iowa
10 Michigan
11 Oregon
12 Iowa State
13 Kentucky
14 Oregon State
15 Florida State
16 West Virginia
17 Ohio State
18 South Florida
19 Tennessee
20 Georgia Tech
21 Virginia Tech
22 Michigan State
23 Texas A&M
24 Florida Gulf Coast
25 UCLA

AA Teams

1st
Bueckers
Clark
Howard
N Smith
Boston

2nd
H Jones
Owusu
Hillmon
Joens
Cunane

3rd
C Williams
D Miller
Cooke
Austin
Brink

PostPosted: 09/20/21 5:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not sure why Georgia didn't make the cut. Also, FSU @ 15? I don't think they should even be in the top 25. Top 4 seems right.

PostPosted: 09/20/21 6:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Re: Rankings. Organizing my thoughts by conference, sort of.

Big Ten has its highest expectations in recent years. Maryland will be elite as usual with Indiana, Iowa, and Michigan rounding out the top 10. I wouldn't be surprised to see one of the latter teams falter a bit as the season goes on but it's hard to say which one. I think it's more likely that IU/Iowa/UM split their games against each other than for one of these teams to run the table and challenge Maryland for #1. Not too sure about Ohio State at #17 after losing its starting front court to the transfer portal. I haven't heard if Taylor Mikesell will be granted an eligibility waiver for this year or not.

Big 12 is a big question mark for me. Will Baylor remain a contender without Mulkey? Will ISU live up to expectations? Is Texas reloading or rebuilding?

ACC: I would personally swap NC State and Louisville. Who will be that "star" player for Louisville this year? Georgia Tech is too low and other ACC teams are too high.

Arizona is noticeably absent of the Pac-12 teams. They and UCLA have added quite a bit from the transfer portal which could lead to some surprises. Stanford lost Kiana Williams but she played her worst basketball of the year during the tournament and they still won. So I think they'll end up winning the Pac-12. Did we learn nothing from Oregon spending the entirety of last season ranked too high? They have talent but need to prove themselves before deserving a #11 ranking.

SEC underperformed in the NCAA tournament last season and seem to have less talent this year top to bottom. But Georgia deserves to be in the top half of this list. I predict South Carolina will win all their conference games but 1 where no one can make a damn shot. (They always seem to have a few of these ugly offensive games).

Speaking of South Carolina, I predict whoever of UConn and South Carolina starts the season at #1 will lose to the other in that Caribbean tourney. Then the loser will get revenge in January.

FGCU is the preseason favorite to end up with the token #5 seed in the NCAA tourney. But I'm sure another mid-major school will surprise us.

Re: Individual accolades
It's always interesting to me that some teams in the top 10 get multiple players on these All-Star type lists while some teams don't get credited as having an individual "stand out" so to speak. And as usual these lists say more about perceived ability, usage rate, and pro-potential than how much they actually contribute to team success on both sides of the ball.

pilight

PostPosted: 09/24/21 10:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Athlon didn't even include their usual minimal two pages for WCBB. Sad

PostPosted: 09/28/21 3:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I expect Arizona to be a top 25 team this year even with the graduation of McDonald.

PostPosted: 09/28/21 4:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

osubeavers wrote:
I expect Arizona to be a top 25 team this year even with the graduation of McDonald.

That writer clearly knows very little about the Pac-12 based on their rankings, tho. No Arizona is a slap in the face honestly, UCLA should be higher and Oregon State should be nowhere...14 is ridiculous. I know they won't get the votes in pre-season but I expect Washington State to be a contender this year as well.

Texas A&M over Georgia is a real head scratcher. Ohio State at 17 is laughable and Michigan State is questionable with teams like Notre Dame, Northwestern, Ole Miss and Texas looking to crack the rankings.

PostPosted: 09/28/21 5:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
osubeavers wrote:

That writer clearly knows very little about the Pac-12 based on their rankings, tho. No Arizona is a slap in the face honestly, UCLA should be higher and Oregon State should be nowhere...14 is ridiculous. I know they won't get the votes in pre-season but I expect Washington State to be a contender this year as well.

Texas A&M over Georgia is a real head scratcher. Ohio State at 17 is laughable and Michigan State is questionable with teams like Notre Dame, Northwestern, Ole Miss and Texas looking to crack the rankings.

I know the ND backcourt will be young, but they will be dangerous by March. Miles is going to be great and Citron, to me, was the most noticeable player on that U-19 team.

Howee

PostPosted: 09/28/21 6:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can only hope that OR ends up that highly ranked. I certainly expect Top 25, tho.... Wink Kelly has some great pieces, new and old, but last year's chemistry was just....NOT. Returning only 6 players from last year's roster will present its own challenges. And, Campbell's absence will be a setback of its own.

Interesting to see FGCU in that pile. I kinda stopped following them, but glad to see they're still a force. Cool

PostPosted: 09/29/21 9:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tennessee may be surprising. It's Kellie's third year, which is usually the time things start to solidify. She finally recruited a real PG in Brooklynn Miles, Marta Suárez and Keyen Green should be back from injuries, and Tamari Key showed a lot of improvement last year and hopefully continues to improve. Rae Burrell and jordan Horston are solid leaders and some of the other new players look like good additions.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: