RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

COVID-19: Winter 2021-22
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 12/21/21 6:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
Pharmacists are quitting.

https://www.wishtv.com/news/local-news/pandemic-causing-pharmacists-to-leave-the-industry/

Pharmacies are also closing. CVS recently announced they are closing 900 pharmacies in the near future, and RiteAid is closing 63 locations.

Hmmm. THAT'S a bit puzzling, no? I mean, I understand that they're feeling the crunch in new ways, like never before, but....I'd think the retail part of it all is still at least profitable for them. I've seen at least 2 local enterprises close recently, but not really related to the pandemic: just the old-time pharmacies that are drying up. The national chains doing it is another whole story.

As I understand it, Rite-Aid is losing money with their current model and is trying to swing to more retail and less pharmacies, and CVS is moving to health-care delivery, meaning walk-in clinics and yoga classes.

Howee

PostPosted: 12/21/21 6:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
People like getting prescriptions by mail. Some insurance companies won't cover 100% unless you get your prescriptions by mail from their preferred provider.

I thought of that factor - I implement it for some of my Rx - but I have still found my pharmacy gives me a better deal than my mail-in option provides. I thinking some of this retail decline might be regional, too, cuz small-town America needs their pharmacies.

PostPosted: 12/21/21 8:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My local pharmacy just had another pharmacist quit. His second this year leaving the owner with just himself and one of pharmacist at the beginning of the year. He's strongly considering closing on Sundays to avoid working 7 days/week.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
PUmatty

PostPosted: 12/21/21 9:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I do not understand how we are almost two years into this thing, and I, living near the center of the third-largest city in the country, cannot find a test to purchase. I know there is a significant demand right now, but how is this not figured out?

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 12/21/21 11:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
I do not understand how we are almost two years into this thing, and I, living near the center of the third-largest city in the country, cannot find a test to purchase. I know there is a significant demand right now, but how is this not figured out?

Demand has skyrocketed since this latest Delta surge began. Try Amazon.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 12/22/21 8:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

COVID deaths undercounted.

Quote:
In and around Jackson, Mississippi, deaths from heart attacks at home doubled in 2020 and are on pace to hit a similar level in 2021. The Rankin County coroner said he wrestles with family members who first argue against citing COVID-19 on death certificates, then reverse course when they learn that the federal government pays for burials of people who die from the coronavirus.

Quote:
And in Cape Girardeau County, Missouri, coroner Wavis Jordan said his office “doesn’t do COVID deaths.” Jordan does not investigate deaths himself. He requires families to provide proof of a positive COVID-19 test before including it on a death certificate.

So far in 2021, he hasn’t pronounced a single person dead from COVID-19 in the 80,000-person county.

https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/news/nation/2021/12/22/covid-deaths-obscured-inaccurate-death-certificates/8899157002/

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 12/22/21 6:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Biden is being interviewed by David Muir now. He knows so fucking little about this pandemic that it's terrifying.

Howee

PostPosted: 12/22/21 9:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
Biden is being interviewed by David Muir now. He knows so fucking little about this pandemic that it's terrifying.

You must *terrify* easily! Razz Ya, he only knows what he's briefed on, but at least he's not lying about shit at every turn....or at least, not DELIBERATELY lying. Mad

PostPosted: 12/22/21 9:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

You must *terrify* easily! Razz Ya, he only knows what he's briefed on, but at least he's not lying about shit at every turn....or at least, not DELIBERATELY lying. Mad

Then he was briefed about nothing. A lie is a lie. How can he sit up there and tell people we're doing better than last winter when refrigerated morgue trucks are being deployed again. He would have looked even more pitiful if Muir hadn't coddled him through the interview.

pilight

PostPosted: 12/22/21 9:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:

What did you expect? He's a doddering old man. He looked lost and addled during the primaries and debates and only avoided looking that way during the general election by hiding in his basement the whole time.

PostPosted: 12/22/21 11:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
Howee wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

Then he was briefed about nothing. A lie is a lie. How can he sit up there and tell people we're doing better than last winter when refrigerated morgue trucks are being deployed again. He would have looked even more pitiful if Muir hadn't coddled him through the interview.

I'd say "better" is relative: Yes, 2021's numbers exceed 2020's. 2020 may arguably be WAY off, as definitive numbers go: I know people who've been proven to have had it before we all were "informed" (like Jan of 2020), so there's that.

*I* say it's better where I am, cuz THIS WINTER, I'm triple vaccinated. PERIOD. THAT'S "better". And NO, not all lies are created equally: Did Joe ever say warm weather will blow it away? Did he say it's not all that bad, as viruses go? No. We have a "better" leader than we had in winter of 2020, cuz at least he's not an asshole. THAT'S better.

"WE THE PEOPLE" need to comprehend that NO President can single-handedly make decisions to make this go away, even though ONE president deliberately made it worse by lying to us at the very beginning, telling us "it's not all that bad." Blame Biden if that makes you feel any better, but it's not valid, imo.

Refrigerated trucks for morgues are never good, but how many bodies are of the vaccinated people? The stubborn American people - who've had better access to vaccines than any other country - are the culpable ones. I'm also surprised that no one seems to be lauding Fauci and the others who said, to much disbelief and scorn, that there'd be multiple waves, on into the coming year.

pilight wrote:
What did you expect? He's a doddering old man. He looked lost and addled during the primaries and debates and only avoided looking that way during the general election by hiding in his basement the whole time.

Rolling Eyes Oh, please. Save that tired meme for your Trump friends. Yeah, he's old. But I'd wager he's done more for America than you or I have, combined. And more Americans voted for him than any other president in history, so we know his 'strategy' worked. He was never MY first choice, but by GAWD, he's better than what we had.

That's MY definition of "better". Razz

PostPosted: 12/23/21 12:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:
Howee wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

I'd say "better" is relative: Yes, 2021's numbers exceed 2020's. 2020 may arguably be WAY off, as definitive numbers go: I know people who've been proven to have had it before we all were "informed" (like Jan of 2020), so there's that.

*I* say it's better where I am, cuz THIS WINTER, I'm triple vaccinated. PERIOD. THAT'S "better". And NO, not all lies are created equally: Did Joe ever say warm weather will blow it away? Did he say it's not all that bad, as viruses go? No. We have a "better" leader than we had in winter of 2020, cuz at least he's not an asshole. THAT'S better.

"WE THE PEOPLE" need to comprehend that NO President can single-handedly make decisions to make this go away, even though ONE president deliberately made it worse by lying to us at the very beginning, telling us "it's not all that bad." Blame Biden if that makes you feel any better, but it's not valid, imo.

Refrigerated trucks for morgues are never good, but how many bodies are of the vaccinated people? The stubborn American people - who've had better access to vaccines than any other country - are the culpable ones. I'm also surprised that no one seems to be lauding Fauci and the others who said, to much disbelief and scorn, that there'd be multiple waves, on into the coming year.

Biden certainly didn't laud Fauci, in fact he stated that no one predicted that another variant would be coming down the road. LIE.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 12/23/21 5:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OK, dead stop. We're not doing that here in this thread. The election was 13 months ago. Trump is long gone. There is always another administration. It is the bulk of our massive federal government and therefore a target rich environment for passionate discussion. There is much to criticize always. I started this thread for this exact unfortunate eventuality of a possible coming bad COVID winter. We're in it now and I will always believe that it's incredibly important that people have a place to discuss important topics outside of our own real-life circles and also now more or less offline from the pitfalls of having open and honest conversations on social media.

So NO MORE whatabout-Trump'isms in this thread. There will be no other warning. Start another thread if you want to rehash how bad of a president Trump was. This thread is about winter 2021-22 and here is where we very well might be talking about how bad of a president we have at this precise moment. That's appropriate here because this is our elected government now and this is when we are in the deepest trouble we've ever been in as citizens of this country.

To wit. That interview was nightmarish. But I'm actually not interested personally in lampooning or harpooning Biden at this moment. There are so many other things happening around this that are far more interesting than the fact that the president is demented, ill-informed, but still in possession of his own unique brand of unthinking tone-deaf disregard for human suffering.

Outside of Obama, the way the office of the presidency has fallen through the cracks most of the last two decades has been its own terrifying development in our nation's history. But it is what it is. Our country is controlled by a self-serving governmental management class and we've discussed that here and it's discussed every day by a handful of great journalistic voices and that subject is just far too broad to be helpful in this thread.

Because this thread is about helping a very small group of people, US, to try to navigate the information we're being given about this moment in the pandemic and all things therein by way of a hopefully healthy and helpful dose of shared insights and alternative viewpoints that can maybe clarify certain aspects of the realities we're all facing.

So with all that said, I feel like I've been dragged into a conversation I wasn't really up for engaging in at the moment. This has been a hard day and I'm just not up for writing a bunch of shit that's rolling around in my head along with everything else that's happening. But I'll give it a go.

The subject of failures of messaging, and MEASURES taken, etc. is, I think, a very important area to focus on. And what I'm going to present here is, I believe, one of the clearest examples of this that we could have ever hoped NOT to be provided with.

So right now, there is a battle raging (that's my characterization, I have no idea as to how heated any of this is, but I would guess it is a MASSIVE and very heated debate that is likely going on between health and science officials and the more political side of things) about the definition that our national health agencies are going to give, or continue to give, to the phrase "fully vaccinated." What that means at the moment is likely to change. Or, I should say, it is being debated at this time as to whether it is going to be changed.

This is fucking massive. And it is a public messaging DEBACLE. And I think it's fairly clear that it is most likely a politically driven issue.

But here are the FACTS. What (or who) is considered FULLY VACCINATED at THIS VERY MOMENT is anyone who had a two shot MRNA vaccine regimen, or a single shot Johnson & Johnson shot at any time since those vaccines were made available to the public. That is the OFFICIAL definition at this time of the phrase FULLY VACCINATED as it is being used in all public statements emanating from our government's public health response.

There are no qualifiers or warnings given to the public in those statements having to do with waning immunity due to the time that may have passed since a person has been administered those vaccines. Fully vaccinated is what you are if you had those shots. Stick a pin in this right here. We'll be back here in a minute.

And yet we know, if we were listening to the news a few months ago when this information was briefly reported in the press, that six months after an MRNA vaccine you would have something like 45% of the immunity the shots originally afforded you. And if you were, like me, a recipient of the J&J shot, you were all the way down to a reported 13% of the immunity afforded by that single shot.

Now I'm not a numbers person, but I am CERTAINLY capable of figuring out when there's a real problem coming my way. I'm taking these numbers right off of CNN last week. I have a picture of it on my iPhone, so trust me. But I'm going to round them off, MY WAY, for ease of understanding.

So, we are told, that 60.8% of the American people are FULLY VACCINATED. That is given the above definition of the phrase and I'm just going to round that off MY WAY to say 60%.

26.6% (I'm going to say 25% for ease of understanding the numbers) of THOSE 60% that are FULLY VACCINATED are reported to have received booster shots as of this data being reported last week.

There is, as I've already stated, NO discussion or, at least nothing coming from public health officials in terms of an official statement, regarding WANING immunity in those who are FULLY VACCINATED but not boosted.

So, for instance, I got my Pfizer shot exactly two weeks ago. Two weeks and one day ago, I was considered, and accounted for by our government, as being FULLY VACCINATED despite the fact that I most certainly had little or no vaccine immunity left in my system.

So if only one quarter of the little over half of the American people who were vaccinated earlier in the year are boosted... what are we talking about?

Let's stop playing our government's word games!

Who and how many are actually adequately vaccinated against COVID-19 in this country?

There are 330 million Americans. 60% of that is 200 million. A quarter of that is 50 million. So the TRUTH is that somewhere around 50 million Americans out of 330 million are at least as adequately vaccinated against the coronavirus as is possible.

Look, this is why I started this thread, on a couple of different levels. But I didn't make any of this shit up. I saw that boosters were the new standard of vaccinated protection. I'd heard that immunity was rapidly waning from the initial shots and that these things COULD combine to cause a world of problems come the winter months. I started this thread in mid-September. And now here we are.

You better know officials are warring over the fact that our OFFICIAL government definition for FULLY VACCINATED is a vast group of people who have basically NO remotely adequate immunity left in their system from their first round of shots. It would be LIFE SAVING INFORMATION, I AM SURE, if our government was HAMMERING this across to the public!

The truth. As it so plainly is.

But they're not doing that. And here is why.

Politics. The curse of the COVID-19 pandemic has always been politics. Our federal response to this, both administrations, their big win, is these vaccines and their success in developing them and getting so many Americans vaccinated. You all saw the circle jerk between Biden and Trump yesterday. They both enjoyed quite the happy ending, didn't they? The vaccine SUCCESS STORY is something neither one of them can let go of.

This massive federal government and specifically now THIS administration can no more now DOWNPLAY the importance of those early vaccines than they could downplay any other political or policy victory they can lay claim to. They so DESPERATELY need every win they can get. That's what's holding up the change in the definition of fully vaccinated. It should have been changed months ago. NO. You are NOT fully vaccinated, America, going into the third winter of COVID simply because you happened to have gotten vaccinated during the SECOND winter of COVID. We're only TELLING you you are FULLY VACCINATED because it makes US, the political class, LOOK GOOD.

That IS terrifying. Go through a day like I went through today, and let someone come here and dare to tell you that you terrify easily.

Let's talk about Fauci for a second. So Fauci admitted lying to the public last year. He did it to protect mask supplies for health care workers. His heart was in the right place. I've always felt that he's a good guy. Plain speaking. But I think that was a huge mistake. It's up to someone else to decide whether he should still be on the job after something like that. I'm inclined to believe he should have been retained but his public profile should have been reduced to completely invisible. Too smart to lose but not someone the American people can or should trust any more.

But I still liked the guy and thought his way of communicating information was one of his real strong points.

So two Sundays ago Fauci was on, I think, Meet the Press. And his statements were used as soundbites for the next few days on many news telecasts. But he was almost unrecognizable as a speaking mind from the person he was in 2020. His personality had completely changed. He was like someone who came from a pod in Invasion of the Body Snatchers. We all know and can hear corporate double-speak or when people's lips are moving but they're not really saying anything. Fauci was all of that, personified. He is now so careful, so corporate-speak, so NOT saying anything one way or the other, that I was stunned. And then, as if he HAD said something profound, our mainstream news media excerpted and ran his comments over and over again. Mind numbing and scary turn of events.

So yeah, there’s no question we’re being lied to. It’s happening all the time and in great big highly concerted and deliberate ways. The word games and doublespeak are textbook government truth dodges right out of Orwell. And no one can look at the totality of the response and come away believing that public health concerns were at the forefront of what drove the decisions that have been made.

PostPosted: 12/23/21 8:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
pilight wrote:

Rolling Eyes Oh, please. Save that tired meme for your Trump friends. Yeah, he's old. But I'd wager he's done more for America than you or I have, combined. And more Americans voted for him than any other president in history, so we know his 'strategy' worked. He was never MY first choice, but by GAWD, he's better than what we had.

That's the only defense of him, he's better than the last guy. Some of us have higher standards. We want somebody actually GOOD. Biden is a very long way from that.

He wasn't anybody's first choice except the DNC elders. Luckily for him that's enough in the post-Obama Democratic Party.

PostPosted: 12/23/21 12:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
That IS terrifying. Go through a day like I went through today, and let someone come here and dare to tell you that you terrify easily.

Then perhaps we can agree to DISagree on the definition of "terrifying". Cuz I AM NOT, NOR WILL I BE, terrified by this. Each and every one of our experiences is different. If what you are experiencing is terrifying to you, then God bless you with all my sympathy.

I simply will not be cowed into being "terrified" by the sound bites/misinformation/lies/truths of this pandemic. Concerned? Absolutely. But actual terror leads to a confused, reactionary mind, imo.

PostPosted: 12/23/21 1:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:

Then perhaps we can agree to DISagree on the definition of "terrifying". Cuz I AM NOT, NOR WILL I BE, terrified by this. Each and every one of our experiences is different. If what you are experiencing is terrifying to you, then God bless you with all my sympathy.

I simply will not be cowed into being "terrified" by the sound bites/misinformation/lies/truths of this pandemic. Concerned? Absolutely. But actual terror leads to a confused, reactionary mind, imo.

First, thank you for your kind words.

I think you’re taking a political characterization of a perspective on events and the shortcomings of our government’s responses at this time as people here meaning they are terrifying in the literal, immediate, flight or fight emotional sense. And you mocked Frozen for using the word in what is his criticisms of Biden. And now you’re harping heroically on this petard of your more literal reading of the word. As I’m sure I’ve said a million times here, whatever, Howee. I don’t think Frozen has ever demonstrated him or herself to be a reactionary.

And the prospect of facing what we’re going through here on my end would and should literally terrify anyone. Overall the news is very good. People are coming home or in rehab for a bit longer and enjoying cable TV and regular meals.

Except for the youngest. The English professor at Robert Morris. 59, but the baby of the family. Yesterday was an all your cards on the table day that no one ever wants to face and should terrify anyone with a family.

First we get a call from what we’re calling a patient relations person asking us what extended care facilities we might prefer Nane be sent to. We’re taking a walk in Beverly Hills and we duck into a doorway of a shop and put the very kind lady on speaker. We’re really the only contacts now for the hospitals and doctors. But in order to have and give informed input on where we would like Anthony to be sent, we have to now have, finally, that no-illusions discussion establishing what Anthony’s condition is, what it really means, and what his prospects are.

We do that out in a doorway on Canon Drive. About an hour later we get a call from one of the actual doctors, wonderfully kind people everyone, but then we get even more detail and reality established about Anthony and his condition and prognosis. He used the word ‘devastating’ three times to describe Anthony’s stroke. But the thing is, until yesterday morning, mrs jammer had hopes. She thought Anthony was going to get better. This girl goes home to Pittsburgh 3 times a year for 35 years to be with her brothers and sisters. One is already dead. And we’re learning that Anthony has like zero chance of being any better than he is right now.

They’re not even talking about sending him someplace where he’s going to get rehab. He’s pretty much past that. He’s paralyzed of course on his right side but they have him restrained because he’s not mentally aware enough to not interfere with IVs and the feeding tube with the mobility he has on the left side. That’s a graphic detail that goes across mrs jammer’s mind and heart like a shadow that will never leave. She’ll never get that picture and the thinking about it out of her head. I know. I have many of my own. And Anthony is by absolutely no means out of the woods in terms of potential imminent death. So many things can still go wrong. And, let’s face it, eventually they will go wrong. His prognosis is pretty much short term.

There were eight of these siblings. They had never lost anyone until this. People may not be terrified of a similar situation in their family for many reasons. Maybe everyone is vaccinated, etc. But replace causes with anything sudden and tragic. A plane crash or a car wreck. If you knew that next week you would be facing these things in your family you would be in a state of being terrified. You’d have to be.

One last thing. I will tell you that only when you start putting your people in the ground do you start flinging actual blame at the failures that you can, and were, so easily ignoring prior to these experiences. So many things become very clear. We have been failed by both administrations but the thing is, like a snowball rolling down a hill, the failures just keep getting bigger and bigger. The lies beget more lies and the misinformation and confusion becomes more widespread and creates mistrust and the result of all that is many more needless deaths.

Anyway.

PostPosted: 12/25/21 12:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

*duplicate*

Last edited by tfan on 01/07/22 5:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
tfan

PostPosted: 12/25/21 12:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
I'm also surprised that no one seems to be lauding Fauci and the others who said, to much disbelief and scorn, that there'd be multiple waves, on into the coming year.

You must watch Fox News because Fauci only gets lauded anywhere else. And what would be laudable about saying there would be "multiple waves" - when the first wave hadn’t ended and … never did end? Great grandpa gave the false impression it had. What actions did he recommend? Fauci hasn't even progressed beyond "mask". We now have N95 masks available for around $2.x bucks and KN95 are even cheaper, although the government would need to list the ones that aren't of poor quality. And we have surgical masks, which have pretty good filtration but don't seal well. But you wouldn't hear about wearing those from Fauci. I am surprised he and others haven't been fired for still saying only "mask".

And the issue wasn't "waves" it was variants. Variants that were more infectious and come from other countries. But we would never block them based on "experts" like Fauci because they fraudulently label themselves as scientists while opposing the scientific travel bans - viruses don't travel unless humans do - for political and economic reasons.

Quote:
even though ONE president deliberately made it worse by lying to us at the very beginning, telling us "it's not all that bad." Blame Biden if that makes you feel any better, but it's not valid, imo.

If you are concerned about people who didn't warn about how severe it would be, you wouldn't support Fauci. In January he didn't feel we had to be worried, "although the CDC will continue to monitor the situation". In February he argued against travel bans with Lou Dobbs. On February 18th he did a USA Today interview that they titled "Anthony Fauci on coronavirus: risk is 'low for the American public' | USA TODAY". And in a February 29, 2020 interview he told the public they could continue to go to malls and restaurants because the virus had not yet spread widely enough. The "scientist" actually advocated doing things that would cause wider spread of a deadly virus and cause more people to catch it.

Howee wrote:

He did lead the charge in getting Democrats to support the Iraq war. So while a lot of Iraqis and others (rise of ISIS) ultimately had to die and have their lives torn apart, he helped keep us safe from the WMDs some were going to bring in on international flights.

Last edited by tfan on 01/07/22 6:10 pm; edited 3 times in total
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 12/25/21 1:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Howee wrote:
I'm also surprised that no one seems to be lauding Fauci and the others who said, to much disbelief and scorn, that there'd be multiple waves, on into the coming year.

You must watch Fox News because Fauci only gets lauded anywhere else. And what would be laudable about saying there would be "multiple waves"? What actions did he recommend? Fauci hasn't even progressed beyond "mask". We now have N95 masks available for around $2 bucks and KN95 are even cheaper, although the government would need to list the ones that aren't of poor quality. And we have surgical masks, which have pretty good filtration but don't seal well. But you wouldn't hear about wearing those from Fauci. I am surprised he and others haven't been fired for still saying only "mask".

And the issue isn't "waves" it is variants. Variants that come from other countries. But we would never block them based on poseurs like Fauci because they fraudulently label themselves as scientists while opposing the scientific travel bans for political and economic reasons.

Variants have no international boundaries and don't come from "other countries". They come from anywhere the virus can find a host and survive long enough to mutate, predominantly in the unvaccinated. Multiple variants have already arisen here in the US.

Travel bans are political, not scientific, and one thing this pandemic should have demonstrated by now is that the US can't survive without imports from China, because they produce things we need, from toilet paper to food to medications to medical supplies. Those $2 N95 masks with the 3M labels are made in China.

tfan

PostPosted: 12/25/21 1:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:

Travel bans are political, not scientific, and one thing this pandemic should have demonstrated by now is that the US can't survive without imports from China, because they produce things we need, from toilet paper to food to medications to medical supplies. Those $2 N95 masks with the 3M labels are made in China.

I think it is the opposite - the lack of travel bans are political, not scientific. Variants travel when people travel. We don't almost exclusively not ban travel (the only ones coming after it it too late and are also too limited) because we think science shows the virus would still get here via the jet stream. Travel bans in a global pandemic should be international and intranational. Intranational bans would stop any worse variants that develop inside a country. But of course, in the west there isn't the political might to just completely shut down travel the way China did. We don't even feel it possible to shut down illegal land migration. But it still should be posed by high paid bureaucrats who claim "I am science". And then politicians can shoot it down as "draconian" or some such rhetoric. And we also aren't prepared to help all the people that would be impacted by travel bans. Although on the flip side, if the virus and variants hadn't been allowed to spread local conditions for non-travel businesses like restaurants and bars and movie theaters would have been better throughout. And we weren't prepared to help them either.

When I say "travel bans" it is with regard to people travel, not goods travel. We get a ton of goods from China and elsewhere, so those ships would come with their workers, and their workers would be strictly quarantined for any period of time they were in the country. They may not even need to leave the ship.

There are N95 masks being made in America that are $2 per 50. The government should have included funding for large manufacturing plants for them and subsidized their cost or given them away for people who had to do things like ride a subway train five days a week or work a cash register. My health care provider has only given employees, including those doing things like taking blood samples all day long, surgical masks.

Howee

PostPosted: 12/25/21 2:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Howee wrote:

You must watch Fox News because Fauci only gets lauded anywhere else. And what would be laudable about saying there would be "multiple waves"?

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Merry Christmas!!

PostPosted: 12/25/21 8:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

I think it is the opposite - the lack of travel bans are political, not scientific. Variants travel when people travel. We don't almost exclusively not ban travel (the only ones coming after it it too late and are also too limited) because we think science shows the virus would still get here via the jet stream. Travel bans in a global pandemic should be international and intranational. Intranational bans would stop any worse variants that develop inside a country. But of course, in the west there isn't the political might to just completely shut down travel the way China did. We don't even feel it possible to shut down illegal land migration. But it still should be posed by high paid bureaucrats who claim "I am science". And then politicians can shoot it down as "draconian" or some such rhetoric. And we also aren't prepared to help all the people that would be impacted by travel bans. Although on the flip side, if the virus and variants hadn't been allowed to spread local conditions for non-travel businesses like restaurants and bars and movie theaters would have been better throughout. And we weren't prepared to help them either.

When I say "travel bans" it is with regard to people travel, not goods travel. We get a ton of goods from China and elsewhere, so those ships would come with their workers, and their workers would be strictly quarantined for any period of time they were in the country. They may not even need to leave the ship.

There are N95 masks being made in America that are $2 per 50. The government should have included funding for large manufacturing plants for them and subsidized their cost or given them away for people who had to do things like ride a subway train five days a week or work a cash register. My health care provider has only given employees, including those doing things like taking blood samples all day long, surgical masks.

Omicron was identified in South Africa and Botswana on Nov 22, reported to the WHO by S.A. on Nov 24, and declared a variant of concern by the WHO on Nov 26. The first case arrived in the US on Nov 25, and cases were present in Europe, Israel, and Hong Kong by Nov 26. This is why travel bans are largely ineffective...the horse is well out of the barn and into the next pasture by the time the bans can be implemented. If S.A. had delayed reporting, like China did in 2019-20, Omicron would have been worldwide before anyone had ever heard of it. And it's pretty hypocritical for the US to be talking about travel bans when we can't even keep our own citizens from flying and cruising and frequenting large venues sans masks.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 12/25/21 10:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Since the first wave ended in my state in May 2020 we've had zero Covid deaths. And barely needed to touch a mask or socially distance in the subsequent 18 months.
Travel restrictions are the primary reason for that success.
So to say that they are political and not scientific does not gel with me at all.

PostPosted: 12/25/21 10:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Travel restrictions are easier when you don't have thousands of miles of land border with foreign countries

#NATC

PostPosted: 12/26/21 2:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Travel restrictions are easier when you don't have thousands of miles of land border with foreign countries

Sure. Though "easier" is irrelevant. The claim was that travel restrictions are political rather than scientific.
Politically they seem like a negative if anything. Politicians imposing additional restrictions on people's movement doesn't tend go down too great. According to some I've been living in a fascist state these last couple of years.
If something is political rather than scientific, IMO it's far more likely to be reluctance to impose travel restrictions.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: