RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

COVID-19: Winter 2021-22
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 09/15/21 6:42 pm    ::: COVID-19: Winter 2021-22 Reply Reply with quote

So I could kick myself for not making and collecting video clips of the news coming out of mainstream sources throughout the first half of this year. CNN, and the broadcast networks and local affiliates here in Los Angeles. Because the theme, for me, would have been highlighting the mixed messages, contradictory information, cognitive dissonance of both words and imagery coming from everyone from both elected as well as government health officials, anchors and commentators, celebrities, etc.

The reason I feel that this would have been important is that it would show that the American people are quite right to be confused and angry, divided, misinformed, and exasperated, all due to the fact that they have been lied to, 'worked' meaning manipulated, as in the classic ways that con artists employ and ways in which, believe it or not, many Americans recognize and immediately balk at and then go off and tell six other people about it.

So here’s what I think now and why I'd been planning on starting this new thread on the pandemic for a few weeks. And it's gloomy. Hope I'm wrong.

Vaccines were rolled out in December of 2020. I think it's safe to say that most of the shots were given in the first six months of this year. Efficacy wanes something like 6% a month. (I just heard today.) Point is that we are now going into the winter months when viruses and seasonal illnesses like the flu are more easily spread and have traditionally done their greatest damage. We're also now coming into a time when week by week those who have been vaccinated already are bit by bit losing their immunological resistance to the virus which the vaccine had provided them.

And that's just the virus/vaccine piece of this.

There's also the sociological realities of this moment. Baffling, contradictory, divisive, all these things on steroids, and all both coolly and hotly observed by the American people, who, I will maintain until the day I die, have somewhere in their minds and communities and families the street smarts to sit back and put all these things together and say to each other, what the fuck?

Let's go back to just about a month ago. While vaccine mandates and booster shots were now starting to compete with mask mandates for airtime and the scornful downward push was, as always, making the way forward first and foremost a partisan political issue, and while the DELTA variant was raging at or near its peak, CNN and New York City held a giant outdoor concert in IDK, Central Park? I don't know where it was but it was a huge outdoor venue. Tens of thousands in attendance. The NAME of this concert? Welcome Back.

Over the weekend we saw the US Open and stands FULL of people who were not wearing masks. The theme that I heard there again was Welcome Back New York. A Budweiser commercial. Same message. I have all of this on the DVR. Don't make me make a recording of it because, you're women's sports fans, I know you saw the same thing I did.

Social distancing and mask wearing are kind of going by the wayside. But the DELTA variant isn't. In the wealthiest most publicly visible enclaves of affluence and Democratic Party loyalties, the images are of full high-end restaurants, Met Gala gaiety, full and unmasked sporting events, etc. Schools are opening and Broadway is back! And on and on.

And during all of this, I swear, just two weeks ago, when college football kicked off, there were mainstream news media reports decrying I think Alabama for its full stadiums. There is the cognitive dissonance as well as the political and media centers having it their way in terms of resuming their social lives and entertaining themselves all while punching downwards at those in red states.

And so I'm saying to you all here today that all this has resulted in a vast swath of America having lost their shit, and if they haven't completely lost their shit, they've lost their trust and their faith in elected officials and public health officials and official guidance and most certainly have seen their trust in the news media deteriorate even further than whatever low level it already was at.

Ask yourselves, how could social distancing and lockdowns matter so much last year and not matter now with Delta being 1000 times more virulent? Instead we’re getting expensive ad campaigns and prestige events like awards shows, Broadway coming back, the US Open, Met Gala and absolutely packed football stadiums.

So, combining all of these things and folding them back into the health crisis aspect that the coming winter months and the waning immunity from vaccines given now 6-8 months ago is presenting to us... I'm suggesting, if not out and out predicting entirely... that there's kind of a perfect storm brewing.

And here it is.

All of these things could spell a situation where Delta, an extremely virulent strain of COVID, is spreading like wildfire through an America where the VAST majority of the population simply doesn't have enough immunity left in their systems to prevent people from contracting the virus, spreading it, or even getting sick and dying from it.

I think that's where we're headed and that's why I think this third winter of COVID needed its own thread. I think it’s very much like we’re going to be starting back at square one with this thing.

Anyway. So I turned on the TV today looking to make sure I'd recorded the FX show Impeachment last night... and CNN was on... and I caught this segment that actually relates to some of this. It certainly describes the chaos and discord within our government right now over some of the messaging and actions that may be coming.

So again, just for those who maybe can't be bothered to watch this clip. It describes quite well the contradictory data surrounding vaccine efficacy and the chaos that has ensued within the worldwide community of scientists.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YbZXg-X0qn8" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

PostPosted: 09/16/21 1:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is absolutely must watch. Just get past the Newsom stuff and the rest of it is stunning. Posted four hours ago and no I don't contribute ideas to Rising. But at about the six and half minute mark here you'd never know it. Wink

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4ZyYQrw6ra0" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

PostPosted: 09/20/21 10:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cognitive dissonance: Emmys.

Even Seth Rogen, who presented the first award, seemed taken aback, saying the guests were packed inside a 'hermetically-sealed tent' and 'lied about it being outside.'

While the Emmys was technically considered as an 'outdoor event,' the ceremony took place inside an enclosed tent.

'Good to be here at the Emmy Awards,' Seth Rogen said. 'Let me start by saying: there's way too many of us in this little room. What are we doing? They said this was outdoors—it's not! They lied to us.

'We're in a hermetically-sealed tent right now. I would not have come to this,' Rogen said.

'Why is there a roof?' Rogen continued. 'It's more important that we have three chandeliers than that we make sure we don't kill Eugene Levy tonight. That is what has been decided.

'This is insane. I went from wiping my groceries to having Paul Bettany sneeze in my face .. so, that's a big week. If anyone's gonna sneeze in my face, Paul, I want it to be you.'

Rogen was laughing and smiling during his 76-second monologue, so it's appears that he was joking, but videos and pictures showed there was a packed crowd for the Emmys.

After Rogen's spiel and before the Emmys cut for commercial, Emmys DJ Reggie Watts clarified the record and said they're following all health and safety guidelines, the .

Then host Cedric the Entertainer said, 'It actually feels amazing in here unlike what Seth (Rogen) was talking about. It feels good. We’re all vaxxed. We had to get vaxxed to come here.'

But the celebrities were seen gathered in large groups, not wearing masks, and hugging and kissing each other, which angered some viewers who vented on Twitter.

Many who criticized the show pointed out the hypocrisy of Covid rules that apply to the average person but don't seem to apply to multi-million dollar celebrities - just as it was during the Met Gala last week.

One Twitter user posted: 'Me: why are the emmys in such a small room without masks and no ventilation during a pandemic? (30 seconds later) seth rogen: why are we in such a small room without masks and no ventilation during a pandemic.'

Another wrote, 'No distancing, no masks. Clearly a slap in the face for all the font line workers that are still dealing with the pandemic. Check your privilege @TheEmmys#Emmys.'

And another tweeted, 'No masks being worn INSIDE at The Emmys. Call me not shocked, love to preach but not practice what they preach…'

Twitter user 'Biancaisabelle' said, 'Why no masks in sight at the #emmys?! these be the same people preaching against stubbornness and stupidity in this pandemic yet... agh hypocrisy. there's seth rogen calling it out but he still came on, and w/o a mask as well. what was that? all talk, no conviction in action.'

Akinwumi Oyebade tweeted, 'I agree with Seth Rogen... WTF was the #Emmys doing packing that room in the middle of a pandemic... Sends a terrible message. Why I stopped watching hours ago.'

Randee Dawn said on Twitter, 'I am so happy for the Emmy winners but is there a reason they couldn't get a good air conditioner in this "hermetically sealed tin" (as Seth Rogen put it) they're all celebrating in? So much glowing. I am honestly fearful for everyone's vaccinated safety. #Emmys2021'

Journalist Glenn Greenwald sarcastically tweeted after the Met Gala, 'Lots of people commenting snidely on the lack of masks and social distancing in this opulent indoor event in the middle of a pandemic but -- as was true of Obama's indoor bash -- COVID wasn't invited'

'These are the sophisticated people who aren't in danger.'

President Obama's 60th birthday party last month was widely criticized for not enforcing masks, despite having hundreds of attendees.

On Friday, the Los Angeles County Department of Health issued a - that will require unvaccinated people to require proof of vaccination or wear masks inside.

According to the new mandate, the number of COVID-19 cases 'remains high' but hospitalizations and positivity rate is 'declining' or 'steady.'

The - that has been in effect since August 19 - requires attendees at an indoor event with more than 1,000 attendees or an outdoor event with more than 10,000 attendees to wear masks at all times, except when eating.

PostPosted: 11/23/21 1:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’m just bumping this.

PostPosted: 12/18/21 6:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It is surprising how we are "open" so to speak, while we still are in the middle of a global pandemic and ominous warnings are being made about the coming months. Infections were getting better last spring, but then Delta made it worse and we are still acting in many ways like the vaccines are still slowly wiping the virus out completely. This was at the NCAA Volleyball semi-finals on Thursday:

I can't tell what the percentage is masked/unmasked, but plenty of people unmasked and the ones with masks probably aren't wearing N95 (which is getting down to about $2 a mask) which should be the goto mask in a crowd. There is a weird mask being worn by coaches, officials and commentators at these games. It is black trim with silver mesh-like body that are somewhat opaque. It is like they meet some mask requirement while not actually being a valid mask and muffling voices. But I just hope we are in a situation next year where the crowd is that big at the semi-finals.

But I read about a Chipotle that is being built in the midwest that will not have any indoor area for the public. It will have outdoor seating and a pickup window and a drive through. It's like they see our endemic coronavirus future.

Last edited by tfan on 12/18/21 7:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
pilight

PostPosted: 12/18/21 6:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Omicron being less severe is at least as proven as it being more transmissible

PostPosted: 12/19/21 2:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

I read somewhere in passing (I forget where) that stated that the more transmissible it is, the less severe it is. Omicron is spreading faster than Delta or any other variant, but is said to not be as deadly. We shall see if that holds water.

This continues to be a pandemic of the unvaccinated though. In the US alone, there are about 100 million unvaccinated people. Yes, vaxxed folks get the virus, but in relation to the unvaxxed, it's a rarity. The unvaxxed are keeping this thing going and with each new variant, more and more of the unvaxxed get caught up in it.

Now push that 1/3 of the population world wide, especially in impoverished areas. That comes in to roughly 2.5-3 billion people unvaccinated. Covid is going to be with us for years.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 12/19/21 7:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hawkeye wrote:
pilight wrote:

I read somewhere in passing (I forget where) that stated that the more transmissible it is, the less severe it is. Omicron is spreading faster than Delta or any other variant, but is said to not be as deadly. We shall see if that holds water.

This continues to be a pandemic of the unvaccinated though. In the US alone, there are about 100 million unvaccinated people. Yes, vaxxed folks get the virus, but in relation to the unvaxxed, it's a rarity. The unvaxxed are keeping this thing going and with each new variant, more and more of the unvaxxed get caught up in it.

Now push that 1/3 of the population world wide, especially in impoverished areas. That comes in to roughly 2.5-3 billion people unvaccinated. Covid is going to be with us for years.

We're SCREWED if a variant comes along with the transmissibility of Omicron and the lethality of Delta.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 12/19/21 11:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hawkeye wrote:

Only 10% of Africa has received at least one dose of vaccine. Only 4% are fully vaccinated. Anyone carrying the virus can serve as an incubator for new strains to develop. We're losing the battle to get everyone vaccinated before new strains appear.

toad455

PostPosted: 12/19/21 2:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Hawkeye wrote:
pilight wrote:

We're SCREWED if a variant comes along with the transmissibility of Omicron and the lethality of Delta.

100%

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
tfan

PostPosted: 12/19/21 2:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hawkeye wrote:
pilight wrote:

Retired nurse and PhD in something, John Campbell, has been giving mostly daily videos since the start of the pandemic on YouTube. He was saying a week or two ago that he felt that Omicron was more transmissible and because of that he would be very surprised if it was as lethal as Delta. Seemed to suggest that if it mutates for one condition it would have a hard time mutating for the other. And yet, Delta was more transmissible than the prior strains and I don't recall anyone saying it was less lethal.

tfan

PostPosted: 12/19/21 4:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:

Were also screwed if a variant comes along with the transmissibility and same characteristic of - maximum transmission prior to symptoms - of the original SARS-CoV-2 virus variant and the lethality of the MERS coronavirus.

WHO reported MERS cases as of January 2020: 2519 Deaths: 866 Fatality Rate: 34.3%

tfan

PostPosted: 12/19/21 4:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Don't know about "proven" but saw this in an Economist Magazine article two days ago:

Quote:
In just a couple of weeks Omicron has probably reached almost every country in the world and is now the predominant variant in several countries, including Britain, Denmark, Norway and parts of southern Africa. A spread this rapid leaves no doubt that Omicron will soon replace Delta, the variant that currently causes most covid cases globally.

But I am confused as to how one variant "pushes out" another. I don't see why Omicron and Delta and every other variant can't keep infecting people in parallel.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 12/20/21 6:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Omicron is now the predominant variant in the US...73% of new cases in the country, >90% in some places. Cases are doubling every 2 days, which has already been noted in Europe. And yes, Delta is still infecting people, but only the minority since Omicron is much more transmissible.

toad455

PostPosted: 12/20/21 10:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

However, several experts and scientists say that, though this was a curve-ball, this should be the last wave.

pilight

PostPosted: 12/20/21 10:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
However, several experts and scientists say that, though this was a curve-ball, this should be the last wave.

It's already subsiding in South Africa

PostPosted: 12/20/21 11:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
toad455 wrote:

It's already subsiding in South Africa

The WHO, Hopkins dashboard, Worldometer websites, and multiple news organizations disagree with your statement.

tfan

PostPosted: 12/21/21 4:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Looking at the Worldometer graph for South Africa, what strikes me is how low they went after what I presume was their Delta spike. Omicron is their 4th wave. After the 3rd wave that started in May 2021, their cases went lower than they had gone after the first two waves.

I read an article that said South Africa is s not a good model for deciding how deadly Omicron is. In addition to having a young population, they have a lot of people who have already caught COVID-19. The article had an incredible estimate of 75% of the population!

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 12/21/21 3:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pharmacists are quitting.

https://www.wishtv.com/news/local-news/pandemic-causing-pharmacists-to-leave-the-industry/

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
pilight

PostPosted: 12/21/21 3:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
I read an article that said South Africa is s not a good model for deciding how deadly Omicron is. In addition to having a young population, they have a lot of people who have already caught COVID-19. The article had an incredible estimate of 75% of the population!

South Africa is a good model when they want it to be and not when they don't. They love to use it for transmissibility even though their vaccination rate is far less than half of the US rate.

PostPosted: 12/21/21 4:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:

https://www.wishtv.com/news/local-news/pandemic-causing-pharmacists-to-leave-the-industry/

Mine are hammered these days, with the vaccine requests over the top. Lots of tech turnover, at least. I took them a platter of Christmas Cookies, wishing all of them a sugar rush for the holidays. Razz

PostPosted: 12/21/21 4:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:

Pharmacies are also closing. CVS recently announced they are closing 900 pharmacies in the near future, and RiteAid is closing 63 locations.

And last but not least, doctors and nurses are quitting.
https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2021/11/the-mass-exodus-of-americas-health-care-workers/620713/

I feel like a broken record but I don't think the majority of people understand that this pandemic is breaking our healthcare system. Or they're choosing to ignore it, and then refuse to wear masks, get vaccines, or avoid large social events.

toad455

PostPosted: 12/21/21 4:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't envy any in the health care field currently. Kudos to those sticking it out, but this is going to turn into a major issue down the road as more and more older doctors and nurses retire. Same with teachers.

Howee

PostPosted: 12/21/21 5:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

Pharmacies are also closing. CVS recently announced they are closing 900 pharmacies in the near future, and RiteAid is closing 63 locations.

Hmmm. THAT'S a bit puzzling, no? I mean, I understand that they're feeling the crunch in new ways, like never before, but....I'd think the retail part of it all is still at least profitable for them. I've seen at least 2 local enterprises close recently, but not really related to the pandemic: just the old-time pharmacies that are drying up. The national chains doing it is another whole story.

PostPosted: 12/21/21 6:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

People like getting prescriptions by mail. Some insurance companies won't cover 100% unless you get your prescriptions by mail from their preferred provider.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: