Indiana Fever 2022
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
myrtle

PostPosted: 04/20/22 12:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

I don't see them giving up on Vivians either, especially since she's the truest SF of the bunch.

Hull is very much a SF - by far her best position.

By far, eh? How do you think she’ll handle the overall physicality of the position at this level? Seems like it’s a clear step up (defending opposing SFs, defending both on the wing and in the post, screen-setting, etc) from the SG position that, unless she’s been bulking up quite a bit, I’m not sure she’s muscly & athletic enough to handle – though there’s no doubt that she can mix it up, that’s not her issue.

IMO if she can't play SF, she probably can't play in the W. Her primary position in college was SF. (Lacie and Anna were the SG/PG combo) I don't think the physicality will be a problem. She's tough. OTOH defending smaller quicker guards would be much more of a problem.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 04/20/22 1:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Regarding positions, I'm curious-- Do folks here see Engstler as a 4 or a 3? On this team and in the W in general.

PostPosted: 04/20/22 1:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
Regarding positions, I'm curious-- Do folks here see Engstler as a 4 or a 3? On this team and in the W in general.

I see her as someone who may need to become a 3, but will end up playing at least part-time minutes at the 4 this year. She’s obviously a standout defensively, but at 6-1, I just don’t see how she handles bulkier 4s who are multiple inches taller than her, as well as sleeker athletic 4s who are quicker than her but still slightly taller as well.

As a 3, it may still come down to being able to defend against faster players – as well as go up against them on offense – but she’s gotten herself enough in shape that I think she’d find a way to adjust. At this point, I see her matching up with opposing teams’ SFs defensively quite well – something I couldn’t imagine for her as recently as some weeks ago.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 04/20/22 1:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:

She seems like a classic tweener to me - one of the reasons I wasn't high on Indiana drafting her.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/20/22 2:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Engstler's mostly a 3, at least until they find out whether or not that works. Especially considering I think NSmith is mostly a 4, so to play their two lottery picks together Engstler has to be a 3.

PostPosted: 04/20/22 4:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
I think Engstler's mostly a 3, at least until they find out whether or not that works. Especially considering I think NSmith is mostly a 4, so to play their two lottery picks together Engstler has to be a 3.

I'm not sure they will play much together, though if they don't acquire another true C, who knows. Engstler is much more a natural 4 IMO especially on defensive end. She played post in HS and mostly as a post in college. Similar height to Smith but with better range. As Matty says, pretty tweener-like. I don't expect her to start, at least not immediately.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 04/20/22 5:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dunn really must have had reservations about Sabally’s future (using the 4 pick on her seems like an interesting choice in retrospect keep the hope for Boston alive with a plan b in your pocket) and Hillmon, Cubaj, Cunane and Nelson-ododa’s potential because to pass on all of them multiple times and choose Egbo ahead of them on a roster clearly lacking post options seems pretty shocking when looking deeper into their roster construction.

Egbo will at least have sometime in camp to prove herself with Hatar and Coates arriving late.

root_thing

PostPosted: 04/20/22 5:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As I mentioned on the Liberty thread, Hatar is playing ahead of Dolson in Hungary. Now, this is partly due to Dolson joining Sopron in midseason. With the team and Hatar already playing well, there was no reason to mess with the chemistry. Still, it makes Hatar look more viable as a WNBA player if she's starting in front of a veteran the Liberty just decided to pay $160k per year. Smile

PostPosted: 04/20/22 5:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
As I mentioned on the Liberty thread, Hatar is playing ahead of Dolson in Hungary. Now, this is partly due to Dolson joining Sopron in midseason. With the team and Hatar already playing well, there was no reason to mess with the chemistry. Still, it makes Hatar look more viable as a WNBA player if she's starting in front of a veteran the Liberty just decided to pay $160k per year. Smile

I've been assuming Hatar would be 'viable' and would be their starter...but then what? She won't be playing 40 minutes.

Shades

PostPosted: 04/20/22 6:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
root_thing wrote:

I've been assuming Hatar would be 'viable' and would be their starter...but then what? She won't be playing 40 minutes.

That first round pick Egbo.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
myrtle

PostPosted: 04/20/22 6:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
myrtle wrote:
root_thing wrote:

That first round pick Egbo.

Laughing Laughing

Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/21/22 2:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

All I know is, Egbo making the cut and Henderson not – even if it would make sense given where each one was drafted in the Order – would feel like a crime of some sort.

I really hope they buy one of their veteran guards out. I understand why they accepted a Hartley dump, but she has no business being on this roster the whole year. New York and Brondello would surely welcome her back with open arms if she were to get divorced from Indiana and become a free agent. DRob should consider a buyout as well, especially since her deal lasts the next two years – she possibly would have even more suitors as someone who would sign for vet min.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 04/21/22 7:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

if they didn't trade with Dallas

Robinson/Henderson
K. Mitchell/J. Jones/Gorecki
T. Mitchell/Vivians
N. Smith/A. Smith
McCowan/Hatar/Coates or Egbo

after trade
Robinson/Hartley/Henderson
K. Mitchell
T. Mitchell/Engstler/Hull/Vivians
N. Smith
Hatar/Coates/Egbo (Or A. Smith if you don't mind cutting a first round pick)

PUmatty

PostPosted: 04/21/22 8:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
All I know is, Egbo making the cut and Henderson not – even if it would make sense given where each one was drafted in the Order – would feel like a crime of some sort.

I really hope they buy one of their veteran guards out. I understand why they accepted a Hartley dump, but she has no business being on this roster the whole year. New York and Brondello would surely welcome her back with open arms if she were to get divorced from Indiana and become a free agent. DRob should consider a buyout as well, especially since her deal lasts the next two years – she possibly would have even more suitors as someone who would sign for vet min.

Why would you be so opposed to Hartley on the roster?

PUmatty

PostPosted: 04/21/22 8:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:

pilight

PostPosted: 04/21/22 10:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hatar injured, likely out for the season

https://www.nemzetisport.hu/kosarlabda/noi-kosar-hatar-bernadett-hosszu-kihagyasra-kenyszerul-2888045

Quote:
Török Zoltán arról tájékoztatta a Nemzeti Sportot, hogy a szekszárdi találkozó utolsó percében térdsérülést szenvedő magyar válogatott center, Határ Bernadett elülső keresztszalagja és belső oldalszalagja is elszakadt. A klasszis magasember felépülése a tapasztalatok szerint tíz hónapot-egy évet vehet igénybe, vagyis az idei WNBA-szezonban biztosan nem kosárlabdázhat, és valószínűleg a soron következő európai idényt is ki kell hagynia.

PostPosted: 04/21/22 10:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Hatar injured, likely out for the season

https://www.nemzetisport.hu/kosarlabda/noi-kosar-hatar-bernadett-hosszu-kihagyasra-kenyszerul-2888045

Quote:
Török Zoltán arról tájékoztatta a Nemzeti Sportot, hogy a szekszárdi találkozó utolsó percében térdsérülést szenvedő magyar válogatott center, Határ Bernadett elülső keresztszalagja és belső oldalszalagja is elszakadt. A klasszis magasember felépülése a tapasztalatok szerint tíz hónapot-egy évet vehet igénybe, vagyis az idei WNBA-szezonban biztosan nem kosárlabdázhat, és valószínűleg a soron következő európai idényt is ki kell hagynia.

Well that's a damn shame. Can we just call up Boston now? Razz

In other news, Patberg has been waived. Hope she had a nice week!

PostPosted: 04/21/22 11:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

What purpose does her presence serve? Without her, there would still be veteran guards on the roster who could mentor the young ones. She honestly could be the difference between someone like Henderson making it or getting cut – or fitting in another post player, whom the team now could definitely use in the wake of Határ's long-term injury, as the post group was already terribly weak to begin with. And other than KMitchell, she makes the most $. But again, a TMitchell or DRob buyout would be fine as well. The Fever just don't need four veteran guards on the roster who would likely block minutes from other guards behind them on the depth chart.

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/21/22 11:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ok, time to hire Walt Hopkins. who needs a post anyway?

PUmatty

PostPosted: 04/21/22 11:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

What purpose does her presence serve? Without her, there would still be veteran guards on the roster who could mentor the young ones. She honestly could be the difference between someone like Henderson making it or getting cut – or fitting in another post player, whom the team now could definitely use in the wake of Határ's long-term injury, as the post group was already terribly weak to begin with. And other than KMitchell, she makes the most $. But again, a TMitchell or DRob buyout would be fine as well. The Fever just don't need four veteran guards on the roster who would likely block minutes from other guards behind them on the depth chart.

The last time we saw Hartley play healthy, she was averaging almost 15 points a game. She is one of only two players in the Fever camp who have ever done that. I would much rather take the chance that she can do that (or even something close to it) than any other guard option beyond Mitchell. If you want to get rid of a vet, the easy choice is Robinson. Even if they can't get rid of Robinson (I believe both have guaranteed contracts), Hartley has a much better chance of being a contributor now and in the future than the likes of Lindsay Allen or the collection of spare parts in camp.

This team is going no where this year, but I would rather see if Hartley can be a building block rather than worrying about which interchangeable part is sitting at the end of the bench.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/21/22 11:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

The last time we saw Hartley play healthy, she was averaging almost 15 points a game. She is one of only two players in the Fever camp who have ever done that. I would much rather take the chance that she can do that (or even something close to it) than any other guard option beyond Mitchell. If you want to get rid of a vet, the easy choice is Robinson. Even if they can't get rid of Robinson (I believe both have guaranteed contracts), Hartley has a much better chance of being a contributor now and in the future than the likes of Lindsay Allen or the collection of spare parts in camp.

This team is going no where this year, but I would rather see if Hartley can be a building block rather than worrying about which interchangeable part is sitting at the end of the bench.

But even if she returns to her high level of play pre-injury (which some players simply don't if they suffer an ACL injury midway through their career), she's only signed through this year, so why would she want to stay past that? The team will be in Rebuild Mode for at least the next two years. At that point, she'll certainly have other suitors, all of whom will be in better positions to compete/contend.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 04/21/22 12:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

But even if she returns to her high level of play pre-injury (which some players simply don't if they suffer an ACL injury midway through their career), she's only signed through this year, so why would she want to stay past that? The team will be in Rebuild Mode for at least the next two years. At that point, she'll certainly have other suitors, all of whom will be in better positions to compete/contend.

But if she has a good experience this year, she might want to stay. Indy will have tons of cap space if they want to use it (not saying they should).

I just don't see anyone else in the guard spot (save Mitchell, obvs) worth saving a spot for. I'm not up on Henderson like everyone else seems to be, and even beyond her there isn't anyone worth getting excited about.

Just my two cents - they are mostly likely wrong.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 04/21/22 12:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

But if she has a good experience this year, she might want to stay. Indy will have tons of cap space if they want to use it (not saying they should).

I just don't see anyone else in the guard spot (save Mitchell, obvs) worth saving a spot for. I'm not up on Henderson like everyone else seems to be, and even beyond her there isn't anyone worth getting excited about.

Just my two cents - they are mostly likely wrong.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/21/22 1:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

Just my two cents - they are most likely wrong

And I am part of that 'everyone else' category, which may be the sticking point here. I just think we didn't really see what Henny could do with SoCar since she played a 'game manager' role the whole time she was starting, and she never needed to really take over games since she played around so much talent. But it seems to have been established that she steps up in big moments – with her last game for SoCar being the biggest example – which is an intangible skill that imo even clearly great players don't always have, and it may not be taken into account by GMs in the way it should – evidenced by her being the last invitee taken.

I say ya gotta give her a chance this year, and if she really doesn't catch on or impress through the course of the season, the Fever can use one of their two 2023 1RPs on a PG (the other one of course on a post hopefully named Boston). If the Fever can't buy any of those veteran guards out, I just hope they don't cut Henderson in favor of a retread like Lindsay Allen.

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/21/22 3:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think I'm a bit prejudiced in favor of Henderson because she was the reason Stanford lost when they played at SoCaro this year. We dealt with the rest of their team pretty well, but she killed us... another example of stepping up big in big games. It's a special talent IMO.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 7 of 11

Jump to: