Indiana Fever 2022
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnjohnW

PostPosted: 05/25/22 1:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Marianne Stanley out as head coach

Carlos Knox takes over as interim head coach

So they hired a couch to tank and then fired her when she tanked too well.

Shades

PostPosted: 05/25/22 1:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

About time.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
PUmatty

PostPosted: 05/25/22 1:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
pilight wrote:

I wouldn't say they hired Stanley to tank.

More like the former GM made a bad coaching hire (or one that was hampered by the GM's poor personnel moves - in pros it's pretty much the same thing) and not the new GM is cleaning house like she did with the roster.

tfan

PostPosted: 05/25/22 3:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Indiana has lacked talent during Stanley's tenure and Stanley was never the GM. Would have given her a chance to finish out the season with this group as they didn't look bad to me yesterday without Smith and going against the defending champion in an away game.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/25/22 5:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:
pilight wrote:

More like the former GM made a bad coaching hire (or one that was hampered by the GM's poor personnel moves - in pros it's pretty much the same thing) and not the new GM is cleaning house like she did with the roster.

It's the "doing it now" part that doesn't make much sense to me. What has Dunn learned in nine games that she didn't already know? If Stanley was basically doomed unless they went 30-6 with a bunch of kids, why not do this back in March and begin the rebuild with whoever you think the right person is this season, rather than ending up with another wasted year run by an interim coach you'll likely wave goodbye to in a few months? Dumping Stanley after nine games when they've actually looked better, despite losing NSmith halfway through, doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

PostPosted: 05/25/22 6:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:
pilight wrote:

House cleaning with the coaching should have been done either before the draft or training camp. The Fever need to get their acts together and have some type of clear direction as to where they are headed. This is no better than the past two seasons!!

Shades

PostPosted: 05/25/22 6:34 pm    ::: Tanisha Wright Reply Reply with quote

Catchings stepped down presumably unexpectedly on Feb 14. She was okay with Stanley as head coach or she would have been replaced earlier around Nov-Jan. Tanisha Wright was hired way back in October for the Dream.

The Fever hired Dunn as an interim GM on short notice. I think it’s a lot to dump on her vintage plate to not only analyze draft picks but to also go through the process of deciding whether or not a new head coach is needed, and then go through the whole hiring process kinda late in the game.

ChiSky54

PostPosted: 05/25/22 9:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The timing of this firing is so odd (while well overdue)! Makes you wonder if something happened to precipitate it...

PostPosted: 05/26/22 7:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Speaking as a Mystics fan, I thought the Fever hiring Ex-Mystics Asst Coach Marianne Stanley was to attract Emma Meesseman to the Fever since they already had Meesseman's best friend Julie Allemand on the Fever team but all that blew up with Meesseman and Allemand going to the Chicago Sky.

I always thought Marianne Stanley had a greater value as a Asst Coach than a Head Coach but everybody has the right to chase a rainbow.

myrtle

PostPosted: 05/26/22 10:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:

I always thought Marianne Stanley had a greater value as a Asst Coach than a Head Coach but everybody has the right to chase a rainbow.

This is an interesting take. She clearly has been long valued as an assistant. I hope she's able to stay in the game somewhere in that capacity if she wishes to do so.

The strange thing to me about the timing is that I think they actually did remarkably well in the draft... even Egbo who I thought would be a total lost pick. And Indy is playing better than they have in a long time. It's not been resulting in W's but when you have that many rookies, what do you expect? To me, they finally have started looking competitive at least

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 05/26/22 11:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
SportsGuru wrote:

This is an interesting take. She clearly has been long valued as an assistant. I hope she's able to stay in the game somewhere in that capacity if she wishes to do so.

The strange thing to me about the timing is that I think they actually did remarkably well in the draft... even Egbo who I thought would be a total lost pick. And Indy is playing better than they have in a long time. It's not been resulting in W's but when you have that many rookies, what do you expect? To me, they finally have started looking competitive at least

I agree that Indy is looking better than they have since Catch retired from playing. Funny that it took her retiring from being GM for the team to finally begin to gel. IMHO, this team will only start winning more than they lose if Kelsey Mitchell is severely reigned in. She shoots them out of more games than she shoots them into and gives up points on defense, whether her shot is falling or not.

NaLyssa had a start worthy of being picked #2 in the draft. VERY unfortunate to be sidelined by a bad ankle sprain early in the season. Hope it's not season ending like Sabrina's ankle sprain turned out to be.

Out of the two questionable picks made by Lin Dunn (Queen Egbo and Lexie Hull) it appears that at least one (Queen Egbo) looks to be genius. And the second round pick up of Destanni Henderson offsets the still questionable pick of Lexie Hull.

I expect Lin Dunn made the coaching change in order to have more influence on the playing rotations. She's smart and likes to win, not staying loyal to players who aren't cutting it. Heck, with smart rotations, Lin could put Kelsey Mtchell into contention for Sixth Player of the Year.

~rAf
root_thing

PostPosted: 05/26/22 12:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think I've seen a discussion on this board about Marianne Stanley's pending induction into the Naismith Basketball Hall Of Fame in September. She's been kicking around the WNBA for so long, mostly as an assistant, that people tend to forget she was once a coaching prodigy. Stanley won three national championships at Old Dominion before the age of thirty. She went to a total of five finals. Overall, Stanley was 269-59 .820 in 10 seasons at Old Dominion. She was head coach to Anne Donovan and Nancy Lieberman. Just noting that there are two very different views of Marianne Stanley. I guess she really did have two separate careers.

PostPosted: 05/26/22 3:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, as mentioned, I think replacing the coach is something that should've happened before the season. The timing now is kind of odd, especially when we've been playing decent (for a change). I hope this doesn't disrupt the team's groove too much..

PostPosted: 05/26/22 3:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Anybody thinking Stephanie White, who was a finalist for the Phoenix Mercury job that went to Vanessa Nygaard (showing that White is still interested in a WNBA head coaching job), AND who was also an assistant coach on that 2012 championship team that gathered for a reunion a few days ago, AND was a head coach for that 2015 Indiana Fever team that nearly knocked of the Minnesota Lynx in the Finals…. might she be who Dunn (or whoever) has in mind for the job? I think I make a compelling case.

Shades

PostPosted: 05/26/22 6:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xus_ZOhM2ZI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

HoosierHysteria

PostPosted: 05/27/22 8:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I always thought Stanley looked more like an usher or a ticket counter than a basketball coach.

WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 05/29/22 8:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Love this! https://twitter.com/IndianaFever/status/1530607396954988548?cxt=HHwWiICzoa3U570qAAAA

lynxmania

PostPosted: 05/29/22 11:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gary Kloppenberg hired as assistant coach

PostPosted: 05/29/22 11:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Klop makes the rounds. He's solid and knows his stuff. But it would've been nice to see a woman there.

pilight

PostPosted: 05/30/22 2:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Alanna Smith waived

PostPosted: 05/30/22 4:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Alanna Smith waived

I thought she was doing ok? New Coach probably not a fan? Wonder who they will add

PostPosted: 05/30/22 4:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Milks26 wrote:
pilight wrote:
Alanna Smith waived

I thought she was doing ok? New Coach probably not a fan? Wonder who they will add

She was imo. I'd take her back in Phoenix over Anigwe tbh.

myrtle

PostPosted: 05/30/22 4:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Brondello might be interested, though she brings about the same things as Allen, so maybe not.

Milks26

PostPosted: 05/30/22 5:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Brondello might be interested, though she brings about the same things as Allen, so maybe not.

Just for her to sit her on the bench like she did her the desert.

PostPosted: 05/30/22 6:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Alanna Smith waived

If you can't make the cut for Indiana, then where?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 10 of 11

Jump to: