15%
 15%  [ 4 ]
Washington Mystics
80%
 80%  [ 21 ]
Total Votes : 26

Randy

PostPosted: 09/14/21 5:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The WNBA actually did move a bit in the opposite direction when it came up with the one and done. The main reason was that the lower teams seldom made money of the playoffs and it was embarrassing when they were playing in some out of the way arena. far from their normal home court.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 09/14/21 8:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes, the current playoff format gives the haters the ammunition of calling the WNBA the Who Cares league. The W can do whatever they want to do. But if I don't see some positive changes that I like in 2022, I might have to put this league in my history book.

PostPosted: 09/14/21 11:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
Yes, the current playoff format gives the haters the ammunition of calling the WNBA the Who Cares league. The W can do whatever they want to do. But if I don't see some positive changes that I like in 2022, I might have to put this league in my history book.

Rocky baby, don't leave us!

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 09/15/21 8:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Did the Washington game get bumped up to ABC on Sunday? Initially it was LV /PHX but now I see it's the WSH/MIN game. I get they may be fighting for playoff position but LV/PHX is still a way better game.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 09/15/21 8:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The LV/PHX game can also impact who gets the #2 seed.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/16/21 12:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fun little tool if anyone's interested. Plug in results of remaining games (the first one is done, seeing as this was released before tonight's game) and it tells you how the seedings play out: WNBA - Choose Your Own Adventure

PostPosted: 09/16/21 11:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
If the Sparks lose [today's game vs. the Dream], does that eliminate them from the playoffs?

Yes, if LA loses, the most they can have is 12 wins.

Luuuc wrote:
Did you try this out? @stormeo

Richyyy wrote:
Fun little tool if anyone's interested. Plug in results of remaining games (the first one is done, seeing as this was released before tonight's game) and it tells you how the seedings play out: WNBA - Choose Your Own Adventure

Thanks, y'all!!

Really great tool. Quite handy. Very Happy

RI_Sun_Fan

PostPosted: 09/16/21 2:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What I'd like to see, which isn't going to happen, is for the league to expand to 15 teams, then divide the league into 3 conferences:

EAST: CT, NY, WASH, ATL, TBA
CENTRAL: CHI, IND, MN, DAL, TBA
WEST: LA, LV, SEA, PHX, TBA

You could even name the conferences after people if you want

Schedule: Play your own conference 3X, the teams in the other 2 conferences twice. (Keeps the 32 game schedule)

Playoffs: 5 out of 15 make it. All conference winners get a bye to round 2. Two best records among non-conference winners play a best of 3. Then two rounds of best of 5 series to determine a champion.

Lib Fan

PostPosted: 09/17/21 10:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RI_Sun_Fan wrote:
What I'd like to see, which isn't going to happen, is for the league to expand to 15 teams, then divide the league into 3 conferences:

Schedule: Play your own conference 3X, the teams in the other 2 conferences twice. (Keeps the 32 game schedule)

Playoffs: 5 out of 15 make it. All conference winners get a bye to round 2. Two best records among non-conference winners play a best of 3. Then two rounds of best of 5 series to determine a champion.

Interesting idea, I like it

Shades

PostPosted: 09/17/21 12:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

After all the losing they’ve been doing, there’s still a path to playoffs for NYL.
Step 1: Home win over WAS on 9/17. Can they just win this one game for themselves? ✔️
Step 2: MIN victory over WAS on the road on 9/19. MIN might still be battling for seeding.
Step 3: DAL beating LAS at home on 9/19.
Step 4: Prepare for PHX or SEA. SEA might actually be beatable if Stewart is still out.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
root_thing

PostPosted: 09/17/21 11:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Washington wins on Sunday, they clinch regardless of what LA does.

LA needs to win and have Washington lose to get that final playoff spot.

NY needs both DC and LA to lose.

PostPosted: 09/18/21 12:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:

and whoever does get it, gets a game in Phoenix on the 23rd

Shades

PostPosted: 09/18/21 12:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RI_Sun_Fan wrote:
and whoever does get it, gets a game in Phoenix on the 23rd

Not in their usual home court but rather 7000-capacity GCU Arena.

Last edited by Shades on 09/18/21 8:56 am; edited 1 time in total
jap

PostPosted: 09/18/21 7:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:

If the Ladies from the Land of LaLa make the playoffs, so be it. However, in my mind they are not quite ready for a post season campaign, although if they make it I am positive they will prove to be a disruptive defensive nightmare for anyone they play moving forward. This has been mostly a transitional season after losing both Chelsea & Ace, and any added positives this season will merely be just more gravy.

The Purple & Gold still lack viable championship elements. Even when Kristie was healthy, her deadly shooter's stroke was largely missing in action this season. We need more muscle in the paint to team with Nneka & Amanda. Lauren Cox has come along nicely after she finally got some decent practice time during the Olympic break, but I still prefer to see Mighty Maria Vadeeva commanding the paint defensively. Gabby Williams will be another addition to pair with Brittney Sykes next season to provide the Sparks with TWO offensive/defensive Speedy Gonzales' to disrupt the offensive plans of opponents and add even more oomph to the Sparks' potent transition game.

Despite all the flack Fish gets on this forum, he was a solid defensive presence during his playing days. He KNOWS defense, and he is creating a defensive nightmare with his Lady Sparks that will only get much more frightening with speedy Gabby & Mighty Maria back in the Sparks' fold next season. What remains to be seen is whether this season was merely a post surgery aberration for Kristie or whether she is truly on the decline. Her pure shooting brilliance really helps to open up the paint like precious few other players, and she would be tough to replace. Yes, we have other downtown snipers such as Erica, a vastly improved Nia Coffey, and sometimes Nneka, Amanda, or T'ea Cooper. Even Mighty Maria can draw top defenders like Big Bad Sylvia Fowles out of the paint with her viable downtown death strokes. And who knows what the game of the very interesting Arella Guirantes (a possible 2021 lottery pick if not for her Covid-19 issues) will evolve into as she completes the transition from collegiate to professional player?

Even without a 2022 first round selection, the Sparks are poised for an interesting 2022 if they can avoid lengthy injuries to critical players.

PostPosted: 09/18/21 9:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RI_Sun_Fan wrote:

I think you should email this idea to the commissioner.

Shades

PostPosted: 09/18/21 9:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

32 games was a one-time deal because of COVID.
The new WNBA season is supposed to contain 36 games.

Davis4632

PostPosted: 09/18/21 12:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RI_Sun_Fan wrote:

I don't think they will reduce of teams that will make the playoffs if the league expands.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 09/18/21 4:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So long as there are 12 (shoot, maybe even 10?) to 16 teams in the League, I think there will be exactly 8 playoff teams each year.

RI_Sun_Fan

PostPosted: 09/18/21 10:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree with both of you which is why I said it won't happen. I like a smaller playoff field. I think 2/3 of the teams making it is way too much.

RI_Sun_Fan

PostPosted: 09/18/21 10:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
32 games was a one-time deal because of COVID.
The new WNBA season is supposed to contain 36 games.

If you want 36, play your own conference 4 times.

AFO

PostPosted: 09/18/21 10:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The problem with 3 divisions is an unbalanced schedule. Either there are 2 conferences with conference playoffs or every team plays 3x vs + one out and then use division winners.

RI_Sun_Fan

PostPosted: 09/19/21 11:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

AFO wrote:
The problem with 3 divisions is an unbalanced schedule. Either there are 2 conferences with conference playoffs or every team plays 3x vs + one out and then use division winners.

The only way to have a balanced schedule with 36 games is to expand to 13 teams and play everyone else thrice. It does make 2 way tie-breaks easy if you use head to head records.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 09/19/21 5:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think the ideal 36-game schedule without expansion would be three 4-team divisions. Play the other 2 divisions 3x each and your own division 4x. Being that there’s going to be an unbalanced schedule no matter what you do.

PostPosted: 09/19/21 5:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It seemed like NY had the longest shot of the three remaining teams. Wild that they might be the ones to take the 8 slot.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 09/19/21 6:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
It seemed like NY had the longest shot of the three remaining teams. Wild that they might be the ones to take the 8 slot.

It's almost as if the 8th place team (that is also the 10th place team, depending how you look at it) in a 12 team league isn't playoff worthy.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: