Total Votes : 26

Shades

PostPosted: 09/12/21 12:16 am    ::: Last playoff spot Reply Reply with quote

Who will get the last playoff spot?

1-day poll

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Stormeo

PostPosted: 09/12/21 1:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fever should already be officially eliminated, despite it not officially saying so on The Website (which is already known for not being trustable anyway). The most wins they can finish with is 10. The current 8th & 9th place teams already have 11.

Further confirmation

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 09/12/21 8:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is it a race to the playoffs or a race to the lottery?🤔

PostPosted: 09/12/21 9:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There's a decent chance it will come down to whoever wins the head to head matchup between the Mystics and the Liberty. (correct me if I'm wrong please!)

root_thing

PostPosted: 09/12/21 9:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
There's a decent chance it will come down to whoever wins the head to head matchup between the Mystics and the Liberty. (correct me if I'm wrong please!)

Yes, winner not only adds another W, but they also get the tiebreaker.

I'm interested in what LA can do. They get a supposedly tired, Stewie-less Seattle team at home. The Storm will be heavily reliant on Loyd, but LA actually has a good defensive match-up against her in Sykes. Afterward, the Sparks have Atlanta and Dallas on the road. LA has a realistic shot at winning all three games, although based on recent performance it's highly unlikely.

PostPosted: 09/12/21 4:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

that would be hilarious if LA surprised us all and won out!

root_thing

PostPosted: 09/12/21 7:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With Washington's mild upset of Chicago today, they can clinch that final playoff spot by beating New York on Friday. Even if LA wins out, they can at best tie the Mystics with 13 wins. However, Washington has the tiebreaker.

Assuming NY loses their road game to CT on Wednesday, they will only have 12 wins even if they beat Washington. The Mystics can still notch a 13th win and the final playoff spot if they beat Minnesota at home on Sunday.

LA needs to win out and hope that Washington loses both their remaining games.

NY's situation is complicated. Basically, they have to beat Washington and then hope for a lot of help.

PostPosted: 09/13/21 3:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Mystics are the only team that has a legit chance of upsetting someone in that first playoff round.

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 09/13/21 10:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
The Mystics are the only team that has a legit chance of upsetting someone in that first playoff round.

I honestly like Dallas in a matchup with the Sky in the 1st round.....

PostPosted: 09/13/21 11:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:

I honestly like Dallas in a matchup with the Sky in the 1st round.....

The Sky are bipolar. They can look great, they can look terrible. You never know which team will show up.

PostPosted: 09/13/21 1:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wanted to vote "Who Cares?"

If ever a season has demonstrated that too many teams make the play-offs ...

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 09/13/21 1:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:

Agreed. The playoff format needs to be changed again.
The top six teams should make the playoffs. The top two teams will still get their bye until the semifinal rounds. The other playoff teams will play a best two out of three playoff series.

PostPosted: 09/13/21 2:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

The top six teams should make the playoffs. The top two teams will still get their bye until the semifinal rounds. The other playoff teams will play a best two out of three playoff series.

And once we expand then what ?

PostPosted: 09/13/21 4:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

how ideal would this be??!

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 09/13/21 5:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

Let half the teams make the playoffs. Or let everyone at .500 or higher make the playoffs. The lowest seeded teams have a one-game play-in.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 09/13/21 5:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

The W has had an eight team playoff tournament for a LONG TIME. Even if the league expanded to fourteen teams, eight teams in the playoffs are still too many teams. Once this league expands to at least sixteen teams then the league can return to eight teams making the playoffs.

PostPosted: 09/13/21 5:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Recall that the league didn't go to an eight team playoff until it expanded to 16 teams. In 1999, when there were 12 teams, only six made the playoffs.

PostPosted: 09/13/21 7:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Recall that the league didn't go to an eight team playoff until it expanded to 16 teams. In 1999, when there were 12 teams, only six made the playoffs.

Do you honestly just remember this stuff plight, or do you need to look it up? Impressive stuff if your memory is that good!

PostPosted: 09/13/21 8:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

adamj95 wrote:
pilight wrote:

Do you honestly just remember this stuff plight, or do you need to look it up? Impressive stuff if your memory is that good!

I remembered that. I've made the same argument for cutting the playoffs before. Other times my memory isn't so good.

PostPosted: 09/14/21 12:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The fact that the Sparks don't have a single vote in this poll but the Fever do. Laughing Laughing Laughing

StevenHW

PostPosted: 09/14/21 10:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have never liked the idea that there are more playoff teams than there are not. The NHL is like that too. MLB seems to getting close to that also. Now there's been talk of MLB expanding the wild card games to a best-of-three, instead of a one-game wild card.

Some adults complain about kids sports offering "participation trophies", but I think prolonging a professional league's postseason is the adult version of a participation trophy or medal. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 09/14/21 11:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

More games=more viewership=more $$$

With the W playoffs already invading the NFL and MLB seasons, how much longer will they allow it to extend?

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 09/14/21 12:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
... Some adults complain about kids sports offering "participation trophies", but I think prolonging a professional league's postseason is the adult version of a participation trophy or medal. :roll:

The thing that I've always found amusing about adults who complain about participation trophies, is that participation trophies don't buy themselves... the kids aren't the ones keeping the trophy stores in business. Participation trophies are basically a tradition that was invented by the Baby Boomer generation because, after being raised on the myth of American Exceptionalism™, many Boomers couldn't accept the fact that their kids were just regular shmegular kids.

What's also funny about how adults who whine about how "soft" "kids today" are, is that they tend to have wildly ahistorical notions about how tough they were.

All that having been said, I do agree with the general principle of a league's postseason being more exclusive, but you're never going to get a Board of Governors to sign off on a proposal that takes revenue-making opportunities away from them, without providing them with an alternative for making up that revenue somewhere else. Nor are you likely to get the player's union, with many of their players probably having contracts laden with incentives tied to making the playoffs, to agree to a proposal which eliminates opportunities to make said playoffs.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
undersized_post

PostPosted: 09/14/21 12:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Best case scenario might be to keep the current playoff format but expand the league so that more teams are competing for the same number of playoff berths?

Shades

PostPosted: 09/14/21 4:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/in-pro-sports-there-is-one-constant-the-postseason-is-always-expanding/2020/03/01/15d2e4ec-5a7d-11ea-9000-f3cffee23036_story.html

Quote:
Naturally, everyone is complaining about diluting the quality of the postseason field blah blah blah and how unnecessary it is to add bad teams to the playoffs blah blah blah.

My response?
Blah blah blah back atcha.

Playoff expansion is as certain as death and antitrust exemptions.
In U.S. professional sports history, no league has ever said, “Starting next year, we will decrease the number of teams making the playoffs.” It would be like 7-Eleven reducing the size of a Big Gulp.

Quote:
MLB, with 10 teams out of 30, and the NFL, with 12 teams out of 32, are the stingiest in terms of allowing you in the playoffs; both want to go to 14. In the NBA, 16 of 30 teams make the postseason, and in the NHL, it’s 16 of 31.

We are omitting Major League Soccer from this discussion for a couple of reasons. MLS has the highest percentage of teams make the playoffs — 14 of 26 — and the league also appears to be endlessly expanding

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: