RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Atlanta Dream 2022
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChiSky54

PostPosted: 10/04/21 8:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So this fight took place three months ago, just before Carter was suspended. The team was aware of the fight and "handled it internally". Did anyone here know about this before now? This is getting weirder...

PostPosted: 10/04/21 9:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Renee better be getting questioned on this on ESPN on Wednesday if she’s going to be there.

PostPosted: 10/04/21 10:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChiSky54 wrote:
So this fight took place three months ago, just before Carter was suspended. The team was aware of the fight and "handled it internally". Did anyone here know about this before now? This is getting weirder...

There were rumors going around. Hadn't heard there was video.

PostPosted: 10/04/21 10:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:
Renee better be getting questioned on this on ESPN on Wednesday if she’s going to be there.

This is 100% not going to happen.

Howee

PostPosted: 10/04/21 10:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Milks26 wrote:
Kalani Brown was there to. But, she was at least trying to break up the fight. Bradford & Williams were going in.

https://www.insider.com/video-atlanta-dream-fight-showcases-woes-of-wayward-wnba-franchise-2021-10

Oh, myy. Reminded me of some of the old Detroit games.* Shocked

DEFINITELY not an example of Good Judgment by Miss Williams.

(The Pistons, not the Shock! Razz )

mercfan wrote:
lynxmania wrote:

Ummm....what has Renee got to do with this?? Confused

PostPosted: 10/04/21 11:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:

Ummm....what has Renee got to do with this?? Confused

I think they mentioned Renee since she's the team president. Although as was mentioned earlier, she'll never been asked about it on the air. The W shy's away from any type of negative publicity.

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 10/05/21 5:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:

I don't even know why she's there. I know this league has a history of useless commentators but she's particularly egregious. She says a lot without saying anything at all. She's a hollow hype man.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 10/05/21 8:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
ChiSky54 wrote:

Courtney's GF Glamazon Tay spoke of this fight a few months ago on her personal blog but did not post the video til Sunday on their shared youtube account Court & Tay.

PostPosted: 10/05/21 8:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan wrote:
lynxmania wrote:

LOLOLLLLL-For a league and network that works social justice into almost everything they say and do, they just leave this stuff totally out. I mean, the players themselves are selective with this-Nneka Ogwumike, the WNBPA president said, I'm pretty sure nothing, about Riquanna Williams gun charges......while she was her teammate.

ucbart

PostPosted: 10/05/21 8:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
pilight wrote:
ChiSky54 wrote:

Courtney's GF Glamazon Tay spoke of this fight a few months ago on her personal blog but did not post the video til Sunday on their shared youtube account Court & Tay.

Courtney Williams is clearly an asshole. But I'm shocked at the level of assholery here. On what planet did she think posting this video would result in anything good? Like, her social media clout is more important her basketball career?

I say roll the dice on Cater, hope she matures, find a coach that can contain her, and get rid of almost the entire roster. Atlanta is a straight up embarrassment to the WNBA.

pilight

PostPosted: 10/05/21 8:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
mercfan wrote:
lynxmania wrote:

LOLOLLLLL-For a league and network that works social justice into almost everything they say and do, they just leave this stuff totally out. I mean, the players themselves are selective with this-Nneka Ogwumike, the WNBPA president said, I'm pretty sure nothing, about Riquanna Williams gun charges......while she was her teammate.

"Do as I say not as I do" is always the rule with activists

PostPosted: 10/05/21 9:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
pilight wrote:
ChiSky54 wrote:

Courtney Williams is clearly an asshole. But I'm shocked at the level of assholery here. On what planet did she think posting this video would result in anything good? Like, her social media clout is more important her basketball career?

I say roll the dice on Cater, hope she matures, find a coach that can contain her, and get rid of almost the entire roster. Atlanta is a straight up embarrassment to the WNBA.

I agree it was dumb .....Not going to call her an asshole though thats a little far , but she did state in the video the girls they fought were sending death threats and tagging the ATL Dream team page in it as well Sad Sad

PostPosted: 10/05/21 10:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/ReneeMontgomery/status/1445391985603452931

Quote:
Listen, I’ve read the tweets and I appreciate y’alls concerns for The Dream players. As a franchise we have to take the good with the bad, it’s part of the game.

I look forward to getting this much National and Local coverage when good things happen.

PostPosted: 10/05/21 11:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Quote:
Listen, I’ve read the tweets and I appreciate y’alls concerns for The Dream players. As a franchise we have to take the good with the bad, it’s part of the game.

I look forward to getting this much National and Local coverage when good things happen.

I love the second part of this quote.

I don't think "take the hood with the bad" is sufficient here, though.

BamaEd

PostPosted: 10/05/21 11:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't have a problem with her statement. In a league that fights for coverage & visibility, media is gonna stay quiet until something like this?

Now that it is out though, they will have to deal with it. They also have to deal with Carter. But just because CWill has this going on doesn't mean Carter was in the right in the other. She may have been, but doesn't mean she was.

Having a stable Pres/GM/HC in place will help for the 2022 season. I think having new faces (due to cutting FAs) will help as well. They need a splashy get and a splashy draft pick. CM/HC will make the call on Carter, unless she's just done with ATL, in which case, get after it Hash Brown!

ucbart

PostPosted: 10/05/21 12:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
ucbart wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
pilight wrote:
ChiSky54 wrote:

I agree it was dumb .....Not going to call her an asshole though thats a little far , but she did state in the video the girls they fought were sending death threats and tagging the ATL Dream team page in it as well Sad Sad

Why? I've seen posters call players "trash" many times and nothing has ever been said. It's not too far-it's what she clearly is.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 10/05/21 12:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
ucbart wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
pilight wrote:
ChiSky54 wrote:

Why? I've seen posters call players "trash" many times and nothing has ever been said. It's not too far-it's what she clearly is.

Well because i don't know her personally to make that assumption and I'm not going to make a judgement as a 3rd party on her actions. Just my opinion.

PostPosted: 10/05/21 12:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

I love the second part of this quote.

I don't think "take the hood with the bad" is sufficient here, though.

Freudian slip there? Wink

In any case, some of us who are expressing concerns about the Dream apparently being an MMA training program have been following the league since Ms. Montgomery was... uh... *grabs a napkin* *grabs a pen* ... 10?... and that #WelcomeNewbies hashtag might as well have been #BlessYourHeart. I've said this before and I'll say it again: in a league this small, with enough external forces that would be happy to work against it, an unstable franchise is the concern of fans of every team. While I get that the instinct is to close ranks and protect the team to protect the league, we're seeing the consequences of letting things fester right now with NWSL.

tl;dr: Renee, this ain't it and Atlanta needs to get their shit together before they fuck us all up

PostPosted: 10/05/21 1:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
ucbart wrote:
mercfan wrote:
lynxmania wrote:

"Do as I say not as I do" is always the rule with activists

I didn't realize the activism was about bar fights.

Howee

PostPosted: 10/05/21 1:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Okay.....I don't follow the wnba too closely until playoff time, so I've missed some of the Dream's Drama. Never been a Dream fan anyway, but yeah, ANY team's negative drama is harmful to the league.

The above article re: Carter/Williams certainly does not reflect well on Courtney, especially given the past history with the Sun, and now the public altercation.

Quote:
Following the game, Carter approached Williams about playing time and suggested she wanted to fight her teammate, sources told Nusbaum. Williams, who reportedly got into an altercation in 2018 with then-Sun teammate Alex Bentley, made it clear she didn’t want to fight and removed herself from the situation.

Even Plenette Pierson kept her *nastiness* on the court. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 10/05/21 1:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Even Plenette Pierson kept her *nastiness* on the court. Rolling Eyes

Except for getting suspended her senior year at Texas Tech...

PostPosted: 10/05/21 3:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BamaEd wrote:
I don't have a problem with her statement. In a league that fights for coverage & visibility, media is gonna stay quiet until something like this?

Now that it is out though, they will have to deal with it. They also have to deal with Carter. But just because CWill has this going on doesn't mean Carter was in the right in the other. She may have been, but doesn't mean she was.

Having a stable Pres/GM/HC in place will help for the 2022 season. I think having new faces (due to cutting FAs) will help as well. They need a splashy get and a splashy draft pick. CM/HC will make the call on Carter, unless she's just done with ATL, in which case, get after it Hash Brown!

The problem I have with her statement is that it isn't a statement. It insinuated nothing remotely close to accountability and then turned it back on people who are not involved in this incident.

I understand that Twitter is a major outlet to reach people, but the VP shouldn't be advised to speak anything on the issue outside of a formal statement from the front office.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 10/05/21 3:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is there a possibility that they let C. Williams walk and trade Carter?

Or will it be an either/or situation?

BamaEd

PostPosted: 10/05/21 3:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan wrote:
BamaEd wrote:

The problem I have with her statement is that it isn't a statement. It insinuated nothing remotely close to accountability and then turned it back on people who are not involved in this incident.

I understand that Twitter is a major outlet to reach people, but the VP shouldn't be advised to speak anything on the issue outside of a formal statement from the front office.

The team just released a statement to one of the stations here:

“The behavior in the video is unacceptable and does not align with our values as an organization. We are taking this matter very seriously and working with the league to gather more information and determine next steps.”

pilight

PostPosted: 10/05/21 3:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There's not a whole lot the team can really do to Williams now. She's a free agent.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 3 of 11

Jump to: