RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Boycott Texas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PickledGinger

PostPosted: 09/03/21 2:34 pm    ::: Boycott Texas Reply Reply with quote

I truly cannot comprehend the level of evil being perpetrated on women by their own goverment, in my own country. This atrocity of an abortion ban is some straight up good ol' fashioned Texan fascism. A 14 year old girl can be raped by her uncle and forced by the government to keep and raise the baby. Fucking mind-blowing. And the fact that the supreme court upheld it is... truly terrifying.

I, for one, have been doing my part to overload their tyrranical "tip line" with claims like "I saw Lauren Boebert and Marjorie Taylor Greene leaving a planned parenthood together" or "I overheard Ted Cruz bragging to Tom Cotton and Josh Hawley about how many mistresses he's forced into an abortion" or "I saw Donald Trump perform an abortion with just his middle finger while grabbing a woman by the pussy."

But it just doesn't seem like ENOUGH. So, I call on all compassionate people to do what they can to hit Texas where it hurts. Boycott Texas and any and all products that might come from there. Maybe then that hot dumpster-fire of a Aryan-ass state legislature will get the picture that they can't have authoritarian control over people's lives.

PostPosted: 09/03/21 4:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Can some legally-minded person explain to me the legal basis for allowing anyone to sue anyone suspected of helping someone get an abortion after 6 weeks? I thought a suer had to have some sort of legal standing in a case to bring a lawsuit (or is that only in sane states?). Does the suer have to hire an attorney to bring the case to court, or is this a DIY file-the-case for $10 in court fees and you're good to go? Or does the suer just turn the accused in and get a $10K bounty? And the defendant has to pay usual legal fees that s/he can't recoup even if found not guilty of this "crime"?

This seems like it could morph into the witch hunt situation that Jammer posted about in that essay.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 09/03/21 7:57 pm    ::: Re: Boycott Texas Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
I truly cannot comprehend the level of evil being perpetrated on women by their own goverment, in my own country. This atrocity of an abortion ban is some straight up good ol' fashioned Texan fascism. A 14 year old girl can be raped by her uncle and forced by the government to keep and raise the baby. Fucking mind-blowing. And the fact that the supreme court upheld it is... truly terrifying.

I, for one, have been doing my part to overload their tyrranical "tip line" with claims like "I saw Lauren Boebert and Marjorie Taylor Greene leaving a planned parenthood together" or "I overheard Ted Cruz bragging to Tom Cotton and Josh Hawley about how many mistresses he's forced into an abortion" or "I saw Donald Trump perform an abortion with just his middle finger while grabbing a woman by the pussy."

But it just doesn't seem like ENOUGH. So, I call on all compassionate people to do what they can to hit Texas where it hurts. Boycott Texas and any and all products that might come from there. Maybe then that hot dumpster-fire of a Aryan-ass state legislature will get the picture that they can't have authoritarian control over people's lives.

Aren't these the same people that are holding signs and yelling "my body, my choice" when it comes to vaccines?

Oh, and Indiana won't be too far behind. 😒😱👿

Quote:
“We need to understand that life begins at conception,” Sen. Brown said. “It is ironic that people say ‘follow science.’ As you know when Roe v. Wade was passed in ’79, one of the key issues was viability, and when the state has an interest. I would argue with science, we have done great things with babies and taking care of them in the womb. It’s time for the state to take back control and make these decisions.”

Not sure where she got that from.

This bitch is frightening. Really frightening. Like MTG frightening.

https://www.wane.com/news/indiana/state-senator-from-fort-wayne-planning-texas-style-anti-abortion-bill-for-indiana/

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
PickledGinger

PostPosted: 09/03/21 9:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Update: GoDaddy, the server hosting the whistle-blower site (which is a .com btw and not a .gov...wtf?) is dropping them due to overwhelming public pressure and threats of boycott.

PostPosted: 09/04/21 12:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
Update: GoDaddy, the server hosting the whistle-blower site (which is a .com btw and not a .gov...wtf?) is dropping them due to overwhelming public pressure and threats of boycott.

The site is being hosted by Epik. From the company’s wiki page:

Quote:
It was described in 2019 by Vice as "a safehaven for the extreme right" and in 2021 by The Seattle Times as "a home for far-right websites" because of its willingness to host far-right websites that have been denied service by other Internet service providers.
Howee

PostPosted: 09/06/21 10:39 pm    ::: Re: Boycott Texas Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Quote:
“We need to understand that life begins at conception,” Sen. Brown said. “It is ironic that people say ‘follow science.’ As you know when Roe v. Wade was passed in ’79, one of the key issues was viability, and when the state has an interest. I would argue with science, we have done great things with babies and taking care of them in the womb. It’s time for the state to take back control and make these decisions.”

https://www.wane.com/news/indiana/state-senator-from-fort-wayne-planning-texas-style-anti-abortion-bill-for-indiana/

When "women in power" are taking these kinds of positions on this topic, we can bet Dystopia is around the corner. Evil or Very Mad I heard today that there was actually a $10,000 amount awarded to tipsters whose tips led to convictions....is that even possible?

PostPosted: 09/07/21 8:39 am    ::: Re: Boycott Texas Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
Quote:

When "women in power" are taking these kinds of positions on this topic, we can bet Dystopia is around the corner. Evil or Very Mad I heard today that there was actually a $10,000 amount awarded to tipsters whose tips led to convictions....is that even possible?

I asked about that above. AFAIK, ANYONE who suspects ANYONE has aided a woman in getting an abortion after a fetal heartbeat is detected can turn that person in. Aiding can be anything from assisting the doctor to advising a woman where to find a clinic out of state to an Uber driver who gave her a ride even if he had no idea as to the purpose of her trip. Uber and another of the ride services have already set up funds to cover their drivers legal fees.

I still don't understand how something this broad and this vague wasn't struck down by SCOTUS even if they allowed the abortion ban to stand.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2021/09/03/texas-abortion-law-facebook-twitter-legal-risks/5717693001/

Another issue I have is about the detection of the fetal heartbeat which is sometimes possible as early as 5 weeks with a transvaginal U/S, IOW one week after the women has missed her period. How many women who might want an abortion should they become pregnant will realize that they need to be in a doctor's office having that abortion within a week of missing their period? How are they going to have time to process that decision, consider alternatives, and get the appt scheduled within that time frame? This whole rushed scenario makes zero sense.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 09/09/21 10:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I see the superficial media has again succeeded in spreading clickbait hysteria headlines while conveying little substance.

I will restrict myself to what the Supreme Court did and did not do. It did not uphold the Texas law. It did not refuse to hold it unconstitutional. It did not even address the law. All it did was say that the screwy lawsuit before it -- an abortion clinic suing a state judge who "might someday" have to rule on the Texas law -- is not the proper legal procedure by which the court can issue injunctions.

The proper case to address the Texas law's constitutionality will happen when some private citizen sues an abortionist under the law. An abortion advocacy group will jump in to represent the abortionist for free. The abortionist's defense will be that the law is unconstitutional, and that defense will ultimately and easily prevail. The law is clearly unconstitutional under Roe/Casey.

The federal DOJ has also just filed some sort of suit against Texas, the validity of which is also murky, but they might succeed in getting a preliminary injunction against the law pending full merits review.

The only possible fly in the ointment of inevitable unconstitutionality for the unprecedented and creative Texas law is that the Supreme Court, for the first time in decades, will be hearing a direct challenge to Roe/Casey this fall, in a case called Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization. It's remotely possible that the newly configured Supreme Court could overrule Roe/Casey, thereby aborting the constitutional right to abortion, but I don't think there are five votes to do that. I suspect there will just be some judicial word tinkering with the concepts of "undue burden" and "viability".
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 09/19/21 7:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dr. said that he preformed an abortion after the law took effect. If anyone hears of a fund raising effort for any of his expenses, please let me know. I have a donation to make in honor of Gov. Abbott and the Republican party of Texas.

Quote:
"I fully understood that there could be legal consequences — but I wanted to make sure that Texas didn’t get away with its bid to prevent this blatantly unconstitutional law from being tested," Braid said.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2021/09/19/texas-doctor-performs-abortion-despite-recent-law-banning-abortions/8411531002/

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Stonington_QB

PostPosted: 09/20/21 2:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just bought a bunch of products made in Texas to completely neutralize the boycott being made by people who think they're "shutting down an industry" by foregoing the $2 per year they normally contribute to the economy. Cool

Howee

PostPosted: 09/20/21 3:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stonington_QB wrote:
I just bought a bunch of products made in Texas to completely neutralize the boycott being made by people who think they're "shutting down an industry" by foregoing the $2 per year they normally contribute to the economy. Cool

Wow. You are just uber First Class. Razz Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 09/20/21 10:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's pretty hard to completely boycott Texas unless you can eliminate all petroleum-containing products, which would probably require living naked in a cave and foraging for all your food.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 09/22/21 8:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm not sure why she left out the WNBA. Seems like they should have been called out for being more than 'others.'

Quote:
No NCAA Final Fours in Houston or Dallas in 2023, or San Antonio in 2025. No All-Star Games or Super Bowl. No NFL Combine that Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones covets.

So long as Texas is determined to strip women of their rights, refusing to allow them control of their own bodies, then organizations such as the NCAA, NFL, Major League Baseball and others should strip Texas of the privilege of hosting big-ticket sporting events. The opinions of most people in Texas, let alone the rest of the country, haven’t been enough to sway Gov. Greg Abbott and his ilk, but maybe watching other states hold the games and tournaments that would have brought millions in revenue to Texas will.

For the NCAA, this shouldn’t even be a matter of debate.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/columnist/nancy-armour/2021/09/22/texas-abortion-law-ncaa-leagues-must-take-stand-protect-women/5820482001/

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 09/29/21 10:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Now a state rep has filed a resolution to make the Bible the state book of TX. It it passes, the next resolution will be that the state book be required to be taught in public schools!!!!!

Quote:
“As a prominent element in the rich fabric of our Texas heritage, the Bible is truly deserving of such acknowledgment,” the resolution said.

https://www.wane.com/dont-miss/resolution-filed-to-make-bible-official-book-of-texas/

Howee

PostPosted: 09/29/21 10:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Now a state rep has filed a resolution to make the Bible the state book of TX. It it passes, the next resolution will be that the state book be required to be taught in public schools!!!!!

Quote:
“As a prominent element in the rich fabric of our Texas heritage, the Bible is truly deserving of such acknowledgment,” the resolution said.

https://www.wane.com/dont-miss/resolution-filed-to-make-bible-official-book-of-texas/

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Apparently Texans want their own version of Sharia law. This reminds me of how the Taliban took over Kabul; I have no doubt they already have the Quran named THE Book of the Universe already. Texans are following their playbook pretty closely, now that they've squashed women's rights.

PostPosted: 10/06/21 11:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
A federal judge in Texas issued an order Wednesday blocking the state's six-week abortion ban.
"From the moment S.B. 8 went into effect, women have been unlawfully prevented from exercising control over their lives in ways that are protected by the Constitution," US District Judge Robert Pitman said in the decision, granting a request from the Justice Department, which brought the lawsuit.

...Pitman, in his order, aimed to get around the novel enforcement scheme -- which, its supporters have boasted, was put in place to complicate the legal path abortion rights advocates usually take to obtain court orders blocking extreme laws.
...Pitman's order blocks any officer of the state -- including state court judges and court clerks -- from enforcing the ban. He explicitly prohibits those officers from "accepting or docketing, maintaining, hearing, resolving, awarding damages in, enforcing judgments in, enforcing any administrative penalties in, and administering any lawsuit" brought under the state law. The judge also ordered the state to take proactive steps to inform court officials, as well as private individuals seeking to enforce the ban, that the law is currently blocked under his order.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/06/politics/texas-abortion-ban-federal-judge-order-block/index.html

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 10/07/21 9:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
Quote:
A federal judge in Texas issued an order Wednesday blocking the state's six-week abortion ban.
"From the moment S.B. 8 went into effect, women have been unlawfully prevented from exercising control over their lives in ways that are protected by the Constitution," US District Judge Robert Pitman said in the decision, granting a request from the Justice Department, which brought the lawsuit.

...Pitman, in his order, aimed to get around the novel enforcement scheme -- which, its supporters have boasted, was put in place to complicate the legal path abortion rights advocates usually take to obtain court orders blocking extreme laws.
...Pitman's order blocks any officer of the state -- including state court judges and court clerks -- from enforcing the ban. He explicitly prohibits those officers from "accepting or docketing, maintaining, hearing, resolving, awarding damages in, enforcing judgments in, enforcing any administrative penalties in, and administering any lawsuit" brought under the state law. The judge also ordered the state to take proactive steps to inform court officials, as well as private individuals seeking to enforce the ban, that the law is currently blocked under his order.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/06/politics/texas-abortion-ban-federal-judge-order-block/index.html

Well this is going to piss off the far-right.

Quote:
In 2009, Republican Senators John Cornyn and Kay Bailey Hutchison sent Pitman's name to Democratic President Barack Obama as one of two candidates for United States Attorney for the Western District of Texas.[7][8] The recommendation of Pitman, who is openly gay....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_L._Pitman

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: