RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Eviction moratorium ended

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 08/26/21 9:53 pm    ::: Eviction moratorium ended Reply Reply with quote

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/supreme-court-eviction-moratorium/

Quote:
The Supreme Court on Thursday lifted the Biden administration's newest federal ban on evictions, granting a bid from a group of landlords to block the pandemic-related protections for renters in most of the country facing eviction.

PostPosted: 09/01/21 5:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've heard some puzzling stories around this. Has anyone here benefited from this program and how, exactly, did it work? I've heard stories about large percentages of this money still being untapped. I also was wondering why landlords aren't getting checks....maybe even instead of rent money going to tenants?? Just curious....

PostPosted: 09/01/21 7:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I know several landlords who were severely hurt by this program...Landlords in this case meaning an individual renting a single apt attached to their homes, not big businesses renting blocks of multi-unit apts. The money went to the tenants who didn't pay anything and trashed the place. The owners are out the rent and whatever their insurance won't cover for damages plus higher premiums in the future. One had to get a second job during the pandemic to help cover the mtg and utility bills and is still way behind. The tenant of another went on vacation for a week or more and left her cat (not allowed) locked in the apt, found by the landlord after the cat died, the smell was horrible, and the apt uninhabitable. When the tenant returned, she threatened the landlord for going in without permission. The tenant subsequently threw a big party (not allowed), where drugs were in abundance (not allowed) and someone OD'd.

The landlords were stuck with no income, bills to pay, and watching their apts get trashed. The former cat-owner was eventually able to be evicted after a year because of all the lease violations but the apt was so bad it had to be gutted. SCOTUS blocked Biden's moratorium but at least some states are moving to reinstitute their own.

Howee

PostPosted: 09/01/21 8:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
SCOTUS blocked Biden's moratorium but at least some states are moving to reinstitute their own.

I'd certainly agree with that blockage....lotsa landlords are getting skrewed. Really, doesn't it make sense for govt checks to go directly to landlords? Even slightly reduced rents going directly to landlords would be better than them getting nothing (never mind repair bills!).

PostPosted: 09/03/21 2:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:
SCOTUS blocked Biden's moratorium but at least some states are moving to reinstitute their own.

I'd certainly agree with that blockage....lotsa landlords are getting skrewed. Really, doesn't it make sense for govt checks to go directly to landlords? Even slightly reduced rents going directly to landlords would be better than them getting nothing (never mind repair bills!).

I live in a "low income" area of Seattle and my entire building has been "eligible" for eviction-protection funds for at least 5 months. As far as I know, they haven't seen a penny.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: