RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Versyp investigated at Purdue
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mzonefan

PostPosted: 08/18/21 5:08 pm    ::: Versyp investigated at Purdue Reply Reply with quote

https://www.jconline.com/story/news/2021/08/18/purdue-womens-basketball-coach-sharon-versyp-accused-creating-toxic-hostile-environment/8178175002/

“Purdue University is investigating allegations that women’s basketball coach Sharon Versyp created a “toxic and hostile environment” by verbally attacking players, using personal information to “bring them down” and “bullying” a member of her coaching staff, according to an internal document.

Terry Kix, the director of women’s basketball operations, who reports to Versyp, is also cited prominently in the document for several incidents. They include cussing out players, and hitting a player’s arm and knocking a cell phone out of her hand.”

As a fan of another B1G team, I’ve always wondered how Kix was allowed to be so vocal with players during games as a DBO.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 08/18/21 5:32 pm    ::: Re: Versyp investigated at Purdue Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
https://www.jconline.com/story/news/2021/08/18/purdue-womens-basketball-coach-sharon-versyp-accused-creating-toxic-hostile-environment/8178175002/

“Purdue University is investigating allegations that women’s basketball coach Sharon Versyp created a “toxic and hostile environment” by verbally attacking players, using personal information to “bring them down” and “bullying” a member of her coaching staff, according to an internal document.

Terry Kix, the director of women’s basketball operations, who reports to Versyp, is also cited prominently in the document for several incidents. They include cussing out players, and hitting a player’s arm and knocking a cell phone out of her hand.”

As a fan of another B1G team, I’ve always wondered how Kix was allowed to be so vocal with players during games as a DBO.

I met Terry at the FF in Indy a few years ago. Thanked me for being a fan and said that if I ever wanted to go to a game, to call her. I think I might still have her card around here somewhere. She was very pleasant under those circumstances.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 08/18/21 5:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Anonymous player denies allegations. Could it be #33? She is very prominent in the video clips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIqHIthZ7UE

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
mzonefan

PostPosted: 08/18/21 6:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Anonymous player denies allegations. Could it be #33? She is very prominent in the video clips.

How odd is it that a player wants to remain anonymous in support of her coach?

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 08/18/21 6:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

How odd is it that a player wants to remain anonymous in support of her coach?

I didn't think that was odd at all. What I thought was odd was that the video showed one player in 90% of the game clips. Was that WFLI's way of saying who the player was without saying? It seems pretty low if they were. And it seems pretty low if #33 wasn't the player that wanted to remain anonymous and they used so many clips of her because people are going to think it was her.

Howee

PostPosted: 08/18/21 9:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pardon my ignorance here, but....hasn't she been dismissed? Do they have a replacement for her yet?

PostPosted: 08/18/21 9:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Pardon my ignorance here, but....hasn't she been dismissed? Do they have a replacement for her yet?

Kind of, sort of, to both questions.

Last spring they named former player Katie Gearlds as an associate coach for this coming year and then next year she would take over and Versyp would be gone. Looks like that timeline is going to be moved up a few months.

ucbart

PostPosted: 08/19/21 6:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

These kids are just ridiculously soft. My goodness. I hope none of them ever get a job in the restaurant business.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 08/20/21 9:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
These kids are just ridiculously soft. My goodness. I hope none of them ever get a job in the restaurant business.

I hope the restaurant business can figure out how to be a less toxic work environment.

About Versyp, these specifics don't seem like good leadership, but they also don't seem terrible to me. I don't know. Maybe there is more here. But all of it, to me, just shows out clearly she wasn't up to the job the last few years and that she should have been fired well before now. She certainly didn't earn the extra year she got to train her replacement.

Also, there has been smoke about Versyp leading a bad environment for the team for years, and rumors that previous players and at least one asst coach left because of Versyp's demeanor/attitude.

Beth Couture was fired from Butler for similar reasons - and then was hired by Versyp as an assistant. More smoke.

Also, Terry Kix is Versyp's wife. Very strange that this story doesn't mention it and I have always thought it was inappropriate to have her as the DOBO. More smoke.

Michael

PostPosted: 08/23/21 2:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Howee wrote:

Last spring they named former player Katie Gearlds as an associate coach for this coming year and then next year she would take over and Versyp would be gone. Looks like that timeline is going to be moved up a few months.

I very seriously doubt anything gets done about this by the AD.... he spent his five minutes for the year on WBB by setting up the ridiculous succession plan of bringing in an NAIA coach with no other coaching experience as a coach in training situation for a year to learn under Versyp, but then publicly charging her with changing the culture of the WBB program, after she learns it from Versyp..... Frankly WBB at Purdue has been ignored and mismanaged for at least 20 years and unless that drastically changes, we won't get a competent coach or a return to winning ways IMHO.

PostPosted: 08/23/21 7:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#33 is current Sophomore Madison Layden, who was not with the team in 2018.

PostPosted: 08/23/21 7:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:

That is neither here nore there. I worked in restaurants in Seattle for 11 years before COVID and am desperately trying to avoid being sucked back into the hallscape. And I had GOOOOD jobs compared to the average.

PostPosted: 08/23/21 8:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just to add to the drama at Purdue, they apparently have the creepiest mascot.
Wink

At least Pete is better than that blow up thing they had. I think his name was Rowdy.

https://www.wane.com/dont-miss/purdue-pete-voted-americas-creepiest-college-mascot/

Now, back to the coaching situation.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 08/23/21 8:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
Howee wrote:

I very seriously doubt anything gets done about this by the AD.... he spent his five minutes for the year on WBB by setting up the ridiculous succession plan of bringing in an NAIA coach with no other coaching experience as a coach in training situation for a year to learn under Versyp, but then publicly charging her with changing the culture of the WBB program, after she learns it from Versyp..... Frankly WBB at Purdue has been ignored and mismanaged for at least 20 years and unless that drastically changes, we won't get a competent coach or a return to winning ways IMHO.

The AD may not have a choice.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 08/23/21 8:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:

Thanks.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 08/23/21 10:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Wink

At least Pete is better than that blow up thing they had. I think his name was Rowdy.

https://www.wane.com/dont-miss/purdue-pete-voted-americas-creepiest-college-mascot/

I Loved Rowdy!

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 08/23/21 10:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
Wink

I Loved Rowdy!

I think it was his arms that bothered me. Like these little T-Rex arms. I wanted to deflate him every time I saw him. Laughing

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 08/24/21 3:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
PickledGinger wrote:

Thanks.

No worries. I think maybe the reason she was featured so prominantly in the provided footage is because she is expected to be Purdue's star player for the next few years.

PostPosted: 08/24/21 7:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
PickledGinger wrote:

Thanks.

No worries. I think maybe the reason she was featured so prominantly in the provided footage is because she is expected to be Purdue's star player for the next few years.

Thanks again. I was wondering, but having trouble wording the question. That makes sense, in a way. I mean I understand using a player that is expected to be the star for the next couple of years in a report about the team. It does seem weird to do it for a 'bad news' report that is totally unrelated to her. I would have thought that they would have had more shots of Versyp on the sidelines.

Michael

PostPosted: 08/30/21 7:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Michael wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
Howee wrote:

Sure he does, ignore it and wait till it blows over..... 4 players left after he failed to fire Versyp this last year, and still he did next to nothing. He had to be pursuaded hard to even do this silly coach in waiting replacement as he was intent on just letting Versyp's contract run out and then look for someone.

PostPosted: 08/30/21 5:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
Michael wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
Howee wrote:

Sure he does, ignore it and wait till it blows over..... 4 players left after he failed to fire Versyp this last year, and still he did next to nothing. He had to be pursuaded hard to even do this silly coach in waiting replacement as he was intent on just letting Versyp's contract run out and then look for someone.

That probably would have been the better option ...

pilight

PostPosted: 09/16/21 3:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Versyp retires, Gearlds to take over

https://purduesports.com/news/2021/9/16/versyp-announces-retirement-from-purdue-womens-basketball.aspx

PostPosted: 09/16/21 3:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It would be interesting to see what all they discovered in the investigation.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 09/16/21 4:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With vespyer gone and Caldwell/Fargas gone, and Neubauer gone and Williams-Flourney gone My annual entries into the” coaches on the hot seat” thread have all been wiped out in the space of 5 months.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 09/16/21 5:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Versyp retires, Gearlds to take over

https://purduesports.com/news/2021/9/16/versyp-announces-retirement-from-purdue-womens-basketball.aspx

Wow. I certainly did not see this coming.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: