RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Coaches Charged w/Murder in Player Death

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 08/11/21 8:07 am    ::: Coaches Charged w/Murder in Player Death Reply Reply with quote

Heat related death occurred after running outside in 100 temps.

I'd need to know more, but murder seems a little much. Did the coaches know how much she was affected by the heat? Did she tell them that she was struggling? Was there a trainer onsite? Did she have other health issues? Was she on medication that could have exacerbated the heat effects? How were other players reacting to the heat? Was this running "punishment" of some kind? Negligent homicide, maybe?

https://www.wane.com/news/national-world/2-high-school-coaches-charged-with-murder-in-heat-death-of-16-year-old-georgia-girl/

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 08/11/21 8:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She was struggling, a coach was aware, conditioning drill not punishment, outdoor practices under these temp conditions were prohibited by county and state sports assoc. First day on the job for HC Asekere.

More...

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/clayton-county/2-charged-with-murder-child-cruelty-clayton-county-basketball-players-death/XNYDBKCDSNAVXBMSLXEKK3PG4U/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/coaches-charged-with-murder-in-heat-death-of-georgia-student/2021/08/10/df8c6e28-fa1a-11eb-911c-524bc8b68f17_story.html

https://www.11alive.com/article/news/crime/clayton-county-grand-jury-charges-two-basketball-coaches-with-second-degree-murder-for-death-of-imani-bell/85-2588611e-704f-432d-8016-46ad34e44812

PUmatty

PostPosted: 08/11/21 11:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can't even wrap my head around this ...

summertime blues

PostPosted: 08/11/21 3:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I remember this happening and at the time I was pretty pissed at the coaches for even making them practice outdoors. As a nurse who has treated people for heat related illnesses (including a big strong Marine major who damn near died) I know very well how dangerous workouts in the heat can be. This girl was a lot smaller than he was which makes a difference. I'm glad they are throwing the book at the coaches. I hope they are found guilty and serve some hard time.

PostPosted: 08/11/21 7:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
I remember this happening and at the time I was pretty pissed at the coaches for even making them practice outdoors. As a nurse who has treated people for heat related illnesses (including a big strong Marine major who damn near died) I know very well how dangerous workouts in the heat can be. This girl was a lot smaller than he was which makes a difference. I'm glad they are throwing the book at the coaches. I hope they are found guilty and serve some hard time.

I'm not sure who the guilty party is. After reading those articles, it seems there was a lot of miscommunication over who was in charge. Asekere says she thought it was the AD and the school's staff. Maybe that's just an excuse, but given it was her first day, it seems possible that roles were not defined and practice rules not discussed..

Besides the temp issues, is there any point to running up and down stadium steps on the first day of practice?

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 08/12/21 9:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
Besides the temp issues, is there any point to running up and down stadium steps on the first day of practice?

Same point as the gazillion StairMaster machines in gyms all around the world: a great method for cardio conditioning. Stadium step runs were the original StairMaster machines.

The heat is the entire issue.

I don't see this as a compelling criminal case, and don't understand why anyone would want some young, low paid and well-intentioned coaches put in jail for years. That does nothing for the dead girl or her family. They have a civil suit for money against the school, AD and coaches, who probably have liability insurance. That is the appropriate compensatory mechanism for this kind unfortunate, freak loss of life.
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 08/13/21 10:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
...I don't see this as a compelling criminal case, and don't understand why anyone would want some young, low paid and well-intentioned coaches put in jail for years. That does nothing for the dead girl or her family. They have a civil suit for money against the school, AD and coaches, who probably have liability insurance. That is the appropriate compensatory mechanism for this kind unfortunate, freak loss of life.

Accountability
Quote:
Eric Bell, Imani’s father, [said] the coaches were negligent and that someone needed to be held accountable. He said he is a coach as well and would never send his students into the searing heat that led to his daughter’s death.

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/clayton-county/2-charged-with-murder-child-cruelty-clayton-county-basketball-players-death/XNYDBKCDSNAVXBMSLXEKK3PG4U/

summertime blues

PostPosted: 08/13/21 2:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Damn straight, ACCCOUNTABILITY. And liability. And outright stupidity. These people presumably could SEE that the child was in trouble and they kept after her to keep on going. Doggone straight they should be charged.

PostPosted: 08/13/21 6:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Damn straight, ACCCOUNTABILITY. And liability. And outright stupidity. These people presumably could SEE that the child was in trouble and they kept after her to keep on going. Doggone straight they should be charged.

Agree 100%. I've had heat exhaustion three times - two were on the job. It's no joke. Thankfully both times on the job, I didn't have to get permission to go home, which is what saved me from developing heat stroke. I could not get out of bed for 36 hours.

~rAf
summertime blues

PostPosted: 08/14/21 5:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My grandson's HS football coach (and a number of others) had practice at 7 or 7:30 am in hot weather. When they went to 2 a days, they practiced at 6:30 or 7 pm (depending on the heat). It was not only better for the kids and got them used to the fact that they would play at 7pm anyway, but it was kinder to Muslim boys on the team if Ramadan happened to come along during hot weather, which it usually did. And I don't remember anyone getting sick from the heat.

My daughter's soccer team practiced in the mornings starting in late July, but they had frequent water breaks, and when the new football coach signed on in her sophomore year he built what he called a "water horse", a sort of fountain with multiple outlets, and invited the girls on the soccer team to use it too. Her brother's cross-country team trained at 8 am starting in July, but ran on shady trails in a state park and were told to bring a lot of water.

PostPosted: 08/15/21 9:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pretty stupid of the coaching staff. That this is basketball makes it seem even more ridiculous to me, for some reason.

If guidelines were not followed, a wrongful death charge might be warranted. I don't know how GA statute defines 2nd degree murder, but to this distant observer, a murder charge seems excessive.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: