RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

USA vs Japan - 8/7/21
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 08/08/21 8:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
For as long as USA Basketball brings teams to the Olympic Games, they will be hard-pressed to find a better representative of what their program should be about than Dawn Michelle Staley.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/columnist/dan-wolken/2021/08/08/dawn-staley-usa-basketball-gold-medal/5529716001/

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 08/08/21 9:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well done, USA...

The frontcourt trio of BG/BS/AW is gonna kick ass in Paris. I'm looking forward to the naming of the backcourt. CG should be in the lead for that. I hope they include a real good ballhandling penetrator, and I hope Angel is on the team.

And a huge congratulations and BIG hug for the ALL-TIME backcourt. Very Happy

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 08/08/21 10:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congrats to Team USA. Atkins, Collier, and Diggins might’ve rode the pine, but I doubt they would trade that for those gold medals around their necks.

Check out A’ja Wilson’s TikTok, if there’s anything Bird and Tauasi can do besides winning, it’s partying 🤣😂

hyperetic

PostPosted: 08/08/21 10:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The world should take note that the team that won gold got serious competition from a team of US players that didn't make the USA team .
Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/08/21 11:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They did name an MVP and All-Star Five after all: http://www.fiba.basketball/olympics/women/2020/news/mvp-stewart-leads-all-star-five-at-the-womens-olympic-basketball-tournament-in-tokyo

Little bit surprised they went Stewart over Wilson for MVP. Guessed four of the five all-stars right, missing Gruda, who seems like a bit of a reach. They probably didn't want to put three Americans on there, and it's representation for the bronze medalists, I guess. Li Yueru and Astou Ndour would've also been options (or Griner, obviously, if they had another American).

PostPosted: 08/08/21 11:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Tally24 wrote:
Saw on Twitter that Staley announced she would not return to coach in 2024.

Good.

x............................. Exclamation

pilight

PostPosted: 08/08/21 12:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tally24 wrote:

She did what they hired her to do. Team USA won the World Championship and the Olympic gold medal.

PostPosted: 08/08/21 2:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Tally24 wrote:

She did what they hired her to do. Team USA won the World Championship and the Olympic gold medal.

Exactly. So now that she has no more Mt. Olympus to climb, she can return to the much bigger and richer stage -- the SEC -- and continue her real job: crushing that conference, UConn and Stanford.
Randy

PostPosted: 08/08/21 3:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So is Reeve the likely replacement for 2024?

GEF34

PostPosted: 08/08/21 10:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
The world should take note that the team that won gold got serious competition from a team of US players that didn't make the USA team .

If you are speaking of Nigeria, the entire roster or most of the roster are Nigergian citizens, and there are a few that wouldn’t play for the USA even if they had the chance because they consider themselves Nigerian and it’s part of who they are. I don’t know how many other countries, if any would be able to make the claim. If you look at the situation with Courtney Vandersloot she is considered a naturalized citizen, which there is only 1 spot available, so Hungary can’t bring on another player who doesn’t already have Hungarian citizenship. If Russia would have been able to bring on the American they got as naturalized citizens all and once as opposed to only picking one the USA may not currently be on a 7 Olympic gold medal streak.

Queenie

PostPosted: 08/08/21 11:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:

If you're talking about All-Star, at least three players from Team WNBA are or have been on other countries' national teams.

(now with spelling variations)
huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 08/08/21 11:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
They did name an MVP and All-Star Five after all: http://www.fiba.basketball/olympics/women/2020/news/mvp-stewart-leads-all-star-five-at-the-womens-olympic-basketball-tournament-in-tokyo.

Breaking News:

HEADS HAVE BEGUN TO EXPLODE ACROSS SOUTH CAROLINA

Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/08/21 11:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
hyperetic wrote:

If you're talking about All-Star, at least three players from Team WNBA are or have been on other countries' national teams.

7 of the 12 on the 'Team WNBA' squad are still officially American and could theoretically have been picked by Team USA. Bonner, JJones, Vandersloot, Sabally and Cambage are all some variation of 'other'.

I don't really see why it makes a blind bit of difference to other countries that 13-24 might be pretty good for the US as well. They're only allowed to enter one team.

PostPosted: 08/09/21 5:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i see arike, paige, sabrina at the top of the replacement list for sue and diana. i don't see sylvia being back... and i don't know if someone like skylar would WANT to be back.

so other than maybe tina and skylar, i don't think there are any roster spots changing over.

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 08/09/21 9:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

huskiemaniac wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
They did name an MVP and All-Star Five after all: http://www.fiba.basketball/olympics/women/2020/news/mvp-stewart-leads-all-star-five-at-the-womens-olympic-basketball-tournament-in-tokyo.

Breaking News:

Why?

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 08/09/21 11:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:
huskiemaniac wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Breaking News:

Why?

Some people worry more about other programs feelings than their own Laughing Laughing I doubt anyone at South Carolina cares . They got a gold medal winning coach and a Gold medal winning player as alumni now Exclamation

PostPosted: 08/09/21 11:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Iluvacc wrote:
huskiemaniac wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Breaking News:

Why?

Some people worry more about other programs feelings than their own Laughing Laughing I doubt anyone at South Carolina cares . They got a gold medal winning coach and a Gold medal winning player as alumni now Exclamation

This! Go head A’ja. Now it’s time for her to get a W ring to add to her resume!

hyperetic

PostPosted: 08/09/21 12:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
hyperetic wrote:

If you are speaking of Nigeria, the entire roster or most of the roster are Nigergian citizens, and there are a few that wouldn’t play for the USA even if they had the chance because they consider themselves Nigerian and it’s part of who they are. I don’t know how many other countries, if any would be able to make the claim. If you look at the situation with Courtney Vandersloot she is considered a naturalized citizen, which there is only 1 spot available, so Hungary can’t bring on another player who doesn’t already have Hungarian citizenship. If Russia would have been able to bring on the American they got as naturalized citizens all and once as opposed to only picking one the USA may not currently be on a 7 Olympic gold medal streak.

No, my post was more in a general "beware, get your game up because we still have top notch players to spare!" kind of thing. Some of the gold medal ones won't be back next Olympics.
hyperetic

PostPosted: 08/09/21 12:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
hyperetic wrote:

That is a good point but the overall idea still stands I think.
Force10rulz

PostPosted: 08/10/21 11:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:

Sue should coach.

PostPosted: 08/10/21 1:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Force10rulz wrote:
justintyme wrote:

Sue should coach.

U19 ...yes , Kara should be next in line after Reeve..Hell Id take Mulkey Too

PostPosted: 08/10/21 2:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Under no circumstances do I want Kim Mulkey as the head coach of USA basketball.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 08/10/21 3:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
Under no circumstances do I want Kim Mulkey as the head coach of USA basketball.

Does those circumstances disqualify past coaches ? I'm sure it would lol whats your preference just wondering nothing persona l Cool

PostPosted: 08/11/21 12:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
undersized_post wrote:

Does those circumstances disqualify past coaches ? I'm sure it would lol whats your preference just wondering nothing persona l Cool

Kara. I want Kara. Laughing

Or, we could make Reb's real happy, and DT and Sue could co-coach forever. Laughing

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: