RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Other sports
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 07/24/21 7:12 pm    ::: Other sports Reply Reply with quote

I was watching team handball earlier. I have no clue about it. Watching water polo now and know even less.

PostPosted: 07/25/21 10:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congrats to the Men's Basketball team for losing to France! Laughing

mercfan3

PostPosted: 07/25/21 11:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:

Very similar to the 2004 Olympic team - I’m just not sure if there is an Argentina, ready to pounce.

PostPosted: 07/25/21 11:23 am    ::: Re: Other sports Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
I was watching team handball earlier. I have no clue about it. Watching water polo now and know even less.

We played water polo a few times in HS - really a lot of fun but really exhausting. One of the few sports I've been tempted to watch (along with 3x3).

toad455

PostPosted: 07/25/21 12:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:

They should beat Iran and Czech Republic in group play. Depending on how the quarterfinals are set-up, they might face Australia (likely Group B winner). Otherwise, this could end up as a rematch in the Gold Medal game.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
myrtle

PostPosted: 07/25/21 12:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

yeah, water polo looks like it would be really exhausting. Even if you find a rare second to 'rest' you still have to at least be treading. It's not like you can be out of shape in any way. Of course since I'm totally allergic to chlorine, it's not something I ever tried out so have no personal experience.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 07/25/21 5:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
lynxmania wrote:

They should beat Iran and Czech Republic in group play. Depending on how the quarterfinals are set-up, they might face Australia (likely Group B winner). Otherwise, this could end up as a rematch in the Gold Medal game.

US should still finish as the best of the 2nd-placed teams, so they will face off against someone who finished either 2nd or 3rd in the group.
If Australia win our group (far from a certainty based on how messy we look atm) then we should avoid USA in the quarter finals.

PostPosted: 07/25/21 6:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
toad455 wrote:
lynxmania wrote:

US should still finish as the best of the 2nd-placed teams, so they will face off against someone who finished either 2nd or 3rd in the group.
If Australia win our group (far from a certainty based on how messy we look atm) then we should avoid USA in the quarter finals.

We're still yet to find a decent system for creating the knock-out brackets from pools where you start with 12 or 24 teams.

PostPosted: 07/25/21 6:50 pm    ::: Re: Other sports Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

I tuned into team handball yesterday and thought this is water polo without the water!

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 07/25/21 10:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The USA softball team advanced to the gold medal bracket today and beat second-ranked Japan 2-1. Kelsey Stewart had a walk-off HR with the game tied in the 7th inning.

They are supposed to play again tomorrow in the actual gold medal game (this scheduling is crazy), but the game may be cancelled due to the incoming typhoon, in which case the USA takes gold by virtue of today's win. Yes, I had to hear/read all that at least 6 times before I got it straight. A bunch of other events tomorrow have already been cancelled.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 07/25/21 10:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
The USA softball team advanced to the gold medal bracket today and beat second-ranked Japan 2-1. Kelsey Stewart had a walk-off HR with the game tied in the 7th inning.

They are supposed to play again tomorrow in the actual gold medal game (this scheduling is crazy), but the game may be cancelled due to the incoming typhoon, in which case the USA takes gold by virtue of today's win. Yes, I had to hear/read all that at least 6 times before I got it straight. A bunch of other events tomorrow have already been cancelled.

USA barely scraped out wins these past two days against Australia and Japan, as you mentioned. It doesn't get much more exciting (but also nerve-wracking) than two walk-off wins in two days. That's really too bad about the typhoon! I hadn't heard that yet. I'm sure Japan would like the chance to defend their gold from 2008. Monica Abbott is one of my favorite athletes of all time.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 07/25/21 10:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sometimes a pandemic just isn't quite enough of a challenge, huh. Let's send a typhoon their way too. Jeeez....

PostPosted: 07/26/21 8:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Sometimes a pandemic just isn't quite enough of a challenge, huh. Let's send a typhoon their way too. Jeeez....

It's been good for the surfing events. Much better waves Monday than before.

PostPosted: 07/26/21 9:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:

Ya know Laughing Laughing

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 07/26/21 12:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:

...locusts...

~rAf
myrtle

PostPosted: 07/26/21 2:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Titmus' coach was hilarious over her win. And I love the little Japanese usher/security person trying to get him 'under control'. You can see her right at the end of the video that's gone viral.

pilight

PostPosted: 07/26/21 2:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Paola Egonu shows her vertical

PostPosted: 07/27/21 8:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hearts out to Simone!

Good on USA Gymnastics for taking the Silver.

~lw3

toad455

PostPosted: 07/27/21 9:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

USA softball falls to Japan in the Gold Medal game, 2-0. Canada claims bronze over Mexico. No softball in 2024 in France. France doesn't have the fields to accommodate softball(& baseball). Softball will return in 2028 in Los Angeles.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Richyyy

PostPosted: 07/27/21 4:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
USA softball falls to Japan in the Gold Medal game, 2-0. Canada claims bronze over Mexico. No softball in 2024 in France. France doesn't have the fields to accommodate softball(& baseball). Softball will return in 2028 in Los Angeles.

It's not like it would be hard to find somewhere to put it. With a couple of temporary stands you could literally put a baseball/softball event on in a field (of dreams or otherwise). But the IOC clearly aren't attached to it and as the French basically don't play it, they inevitably suggested other stuff. 2024 will see the debut of breaking (as in breakdancing) as an Olympic sport, for example...

PostPosted: 07/27/21 10:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
toad455 wrote:

It's not like it would be hard to find somewhere to put it. With a couple of temporary stands you could literally put a baseball/softball event on in a field (of dreams or otherwise). But the IOC clearly aren't attached to it and as the French basically don't play it, they inevitably suggested other stuff. 2024 will see the debut of breaking (as in breakdancing) as an Olympic sport, for example...

yeah that was my thought too. Basically they spend a lot of time/money making the venues, so there's no reason they couldn't make a stadium for whatever sport if they wanted to do so.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 07/27/21 10:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
toad455 wrote:

yeah that was my thought too. Basically they spend a lot of time/money making the venues, so there's no reason they couldn't make a stadium for whatever sport if they wanted to do so.

I heard on tonight's broadcast that the surfing in 2024 is going to be held in Tahiti. I'm not saying that they need to travel as far as Tahiti, but are there NO ball diamonds in Europe??

I'm going to have to get used to the new definition of sports is breaking is in the Olympics. Rolling Eyes

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 07/27/21 10:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
I heard on tonight's broadcast that the surfing in 2024 is going to be held in Tahiti. I'm not saying that they need to travel as far as Tahiti, but are there NO ball diamonds in Europe??

You'd almost have to hijack Bezos' penis ship, in order to get further away from Paris than Tahiti, but they can't find a place to play Softball.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
pilight

PostPosted: 07/27/21 10:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
toad455 wrote:

They're trying to get away from building too many new venues to keep the costs down. The number of bids they get has been dwindling because of the enormous cost. The next three sites for the summer games were uncontested, one bid each. The next two winter games had two each. Paris 2024 and Los Angeles 2028 are expected to use over 90% existing venues.

PostPosted: 07/28/21 12:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Love watching the women's beach volleyball. I remember Alix Klineman from her Stanford days. Quite a talent and a natural on the sand.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: