RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Tokyo Gymnastics Thread
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
undersized_post

PostPosted: 07/23/21 8:59 pm    ::: Tokyo Gymnastics Thread Reply Reply with quote

Any other gymnastics fans? I can't wait to see Biles debut her Yurchenko Double Pike on vault, and my fingers are crossed especially for Suni Lee to hit all of her connections on bars! If everyone performs up to expectations, the USA women have a legit chance to win every available gold medal and multiple silvers. (edit: I'm not necessarily saying I predict things will go this way, but they've never been this loaded from top to bottom on every single event.)

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 07/27/21 2:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was looking forward to seeing her as well. Now, I'm just hoping that she takes care of herself. đŸ„ș

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
undersized_post

PostPosted: 07/27/21 6:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
I was looking forward to seeing her as well. Now, I'm just hoping that she takes care of herself. đŸ„ș

Same. Heartbreaking to imagine what a dark place she must be in right now to have had to pull out the way she did. Heart goes out to her and the others.

myrtle

PostPosted: 07/27/21 7:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

so many expectations for so many years...maybe just too much for a 'real' person to take.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 07/27/21 8:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Makes me think of Liz C. and her struggles. Maybe if Simone had family/boyfriend in Tokyo things would be different.

She seems very "up" on the sideline. She seems very "OK" with her decision to pull out.

That interview with John Saunders and Nastia L made it sound similar to the yips.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 07/27/21 10:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Makes me think of Liz C. and her struggles. Maybe if Simone had family/boyfriend in Tokyo things would be different.

She seems very "up" on the sideline. She seems very "OK" with her decision to pull out.

That interview with John Saunders and Nastia L made it sound similar to the yips.

Uhh, John Saunders has been dead, since 2016. Pretty sure that was Mike Tirico.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
undersized_post

PostPosted: 07/27/21 11:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Suni Lee was an absolute rock today for the USA. Love her!

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 07/28/21 7:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

Uhh, John Saunders has been dead, since 2016. Pretty sure that was Mike Tirico.

Yes, thank you! You know when it didn't feel right when I was typing it I should have stopped and thought about it. I was thinking more about trying to spell Nastia's last name and less about what I was typing. Thanks again for correcting me!!!!!!

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 07/28/21 7:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Now she's out of the all-around. Sad

https://www.wane.com/top-stories/olympic-champ-biles-withdraws-from-all-around-competition/

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 07/29/21 12:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shout out to Suni Lee. She fucking did that shit!

undersized_post

PostPosted: 07/29/21 12:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Suni performed so well today. Started with one of her best vaults ever, did the most difficult bars routine of any gymnast in the competition (despite being a bit off balance during her biggest sequence), showed incredible poise by gracefully saving a skill on beam that almost led to a fall, and strategically simplified her floor routine to maximize her execution and optimize her overall score.

Meanwhile, first runner up Rebeca Andrade won the first Olympic medal in Brazilian women's gymnastics history.

It was such an exciting competition because the front runners were each performing clean routines at or near their best -- no one slipped up the standings thanks to falls or large mistakes.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 07/29/21 2:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

An unacknowledged aspect of Biles' withdrawal from the competition is that her absence likely put a battery in the back of every other competitor. What probably seemed like a foregone conclusion, a week ago, suddenly had twenty-four young women all saying to themselves, "Hey, wait a minute... I could win this!"

undersized_post

PostPosted: 07/29/21 2:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
An unacknowledged aspect of Biles' withdrawal from the competition is that her absence likely put a battery in the back of every other competitor. What probably seemed like a foregone conclusion, a week ago, suddenly had twenty-four young women all saying to themselves, "Hey, wait a minute... I could win this!"

Yup. At the post-meet press conference, Suni Lee and Rebeca Andrade were asked if that thought had occured to them after Biles announced her withdrawal, and reportedly they both sheepishly looked at each other and giggled, "yeahhhh." Haha

mercfan3

PostPosted: 07/29/21 3:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:

Simone is just special, but I'm happy for Suni too.

One of the things I really liked about Simone, is that she answered the athlete/dance question in gymnastics. There were always primarily two types of gymasts..the powerful types and the ones that looked like ballerinas (Johnson vs. Liukin for example)

As someone who was firmly on the power side of preference, I'm glad Simone ended that conversation. Laughing (To show where the sport has progressed, Johnson's difficulty score would now be two points higher than Liukin's)

PostPosted: 07/29/21 9:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:

Simone is just special, but I'm happy for Suni too.

One of the things I really liked about Simone, is that she answered the athlete/dance question in gymnastics. There were always primarily two types of gymasts..the powerful types and the ones that looked like ballerinas (Johnson vs. Liukin for example)

As someone who was firmly on the power side of preference, I'm glad Simone ended that conversation. Laughing (To show where the sport has progressed, Johnson's difficulty score would now be two points higher than Liukin's)

Based off the current COP Nastia Liukin would have started at 15.2 on floor while Shawn Johnson would have started at a 15.7, using the floor routines they performed at the 2008 Olympics.

pilight

PostPosted: 07/29/21 11:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
(To show where the sport has progressed, Johnson's difficulty score would now be two points higher than Liukin's)

"Progressed" = become more like men's event

Favoring strength over balance and flexibility is not a step forward. Next thing you know they'll be eliminating the balance beam in favor of rings and taking the music out of the floor exercise.

PostPosted: 07/29/21 11:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
(To show where the sport has progressed, Johnson's difficulty score would now be two points higher than Liukin's)

Favoring strength over balance and flexibility is not a step forward. Next thing you know they'll be eliminating the balance beam in favor of rings and taking the music out of the floor exercise.

As if strength balance and flexibility are separable and mutually exclusive? sorry but you don't know what you're talking about here

mercfan3

PostPosted: 07/30/21 9:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

No, progressed means that they favor strength, balance, and flexibility over "gracefullness." It's "athletic" vs "art"

(Both of which are completely valid, but I have a strong preference for the former. )

PostPosted: 07/30/21 10:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

^^^^ Posting on a sports message board, to complain about gymnastics becoming more like a sport, is quite the take.

pilight

PostPosted: 07/30/21 10:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
pilight wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

No, progressed means that they favor strength, balance, and flexibility over "gracefullness." It's "athletic" vs "art"

(Both of which are completely valid, but I have a strong preference for the former. )

Because you're defining "athletic" in the traditional, patriarchal sense. When the word was created, it was done to describe something that was universally male. Therefore things like "faster and stronger" became the metric used to determine who was a better athlete.

Interestingly, when women's gymnastics first appeared at the Olympics the women did compete in the rings and the parallel bars (not uneven bars). Laddie Bakanic, a member of the US women's team that took bronze in 1948, said "When I was on the flying rings and I had to leave go I was scared cause there was nothing there but a cotton mat on the ground." Even then women didn't do the pommel horse, because ladies were expected to ride side saddle. Laughing 1948 was the last Olympics to feature women on the rings or the parallel bars.

PostPosted: 07/30/21 11:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
pilight wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

Because you're defining "athletic" in the traditional, patriarchal sense. When the word was created, it was done to describe something that was universally male. Therefore things like "faster and stronger" became the metric used to determine who was a better athlete.

Interestingly, when women's gymnastics first appeared at the Olympics the women did compete in the rings and the parallel bars (not uneven bars). Laddie Bakanic, a member of the US women's team that took bronze in 1948, said "When I was on the flying rings and I had to leave go I was scared cause there was nothing there but a cotton mat on the ground." Even then women didn't do the pommel horse, because ladies were expected to ride side saddle. Laughing 1948 was the last Olympics to feature women on the rings or the parallel bars.

I don't want women on the parallel bars or rings, the women's events are better. Laughing

I disagree that it's a patriarcal definition of athleticism. Sure, strength and speed is...but balance, endurance, and flexibility are athletic traits that women are better than men in.

The "power" gymnasts, as they have been titled..exemplify ALL of those athletic traits, where as..again..the more "graceful" gymnasts are beautiful to watch, graceful, and artistic...people can prefer whichever they want. I prefer the former.

My point though, was that Simone seemed to end the debate in terms of which way gymnastics was going to go.

edit: Here is the article discussing Johnson and Liukin's difficulty score - where Johnson's is now 2 points higher than Liukin's.

https://balancebeamsituation.com/2020/03/18/why-does-the-code-hate-nastia-so-much/

PostPosted: 07/30/21 11:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
I don't want women on the parallel bars or rings, the women's events are better. Laughing

I agree, although a women's pommel horse event would be fun. Unlike the others, it's more technique than power.

PostPosted: 07/30/21 11:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As someone who doesn't follow gymnastics at all - why would they want change it to be more like men's? It seems to me the women (as in figure skating) are much more popular and get more exposure.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 07/30/21 11:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
As someone who doesn't follow gymnastics at all - why would they want change it to be more like men's? It seems to me the women (as in figure skating) are much more popular and get more exposure.

I am not a huge gymnastics (or figure skating) person, but I have to think a big part of why the men's side is less popular in those sports has a lot in common with one of the big reasons that women's basketball is less popular.

Randy

PostPosted: 07/30/21 11:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Randy wrote:

I am not a huge gymnastics (or figure skating) person, but I have to think a big part of why the men's side is less popular in those sports has a lot in common with one of the big reasons that women's basketball is less popular.

That occurred to me too, but doesn't seem to be a reason to change the sport.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: