RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Non-USA Basketball Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 07/29/21 6:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
awhom111 wrote:
It is more of a philosophical thing for me since I do not believe that name changes should be allowed except for extreme circumstances.

So, you don't think that a person should be allowed to have agency over their own name? "His momma named him Clay, Imma call him Clay"? Is that it?

Laughing

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 07/30/21 7:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Opals somehow playing worse than the previous game in the first quarter of this game vs China.
Down by 8 at the first break

https://olympics.com/tokyo-2020/olympic-games/en/results/basketball/results-women-gpc-000400-.htm

PostPosted: 07/30/21 7:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aussies cut it to 3 -the unit they now have on the floor seems a lot better defensively.

PostPosted: 07/30/21 7:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Looks like Talbot just re-injured the foot that kept her out of game 1. That hurts.

PostPosted: 07/30/21 7:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

All tied up at the half.

PostPosted: 07/30/21 8:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Womp womp
China 76 - Australia 74
And I think we broke Talbot as well. Sorry, Seattle
Sad

PostPosted: 07/30/21 8:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Best game of the tournament so far. China v. Belgium in the last preliminary round could be a good matchup, but since both teams have cleared to the quarters, they may not want to bring their A-game.

PostPosted: 07/30/21 9:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My memory may be failing me, but I'd swear I remember some "Who needs Liz?" chirping, after AUS upset USA in that exhibition... And now, the Opals are winless, in group play, likely needing a KOR upset over Serbia, or a total blowout win over Puerto Rico, just to make the knockout round. #HateHard

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Joe Foss

PostPosted: 07/31/21 7:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Third round of group play begins tonight at 9:00 P.M. EDT with Canada v. Spain. Spain is 2-0 and will be in the quarterfinals win or lose. Canada is 1-1 and will make it in with a win or with a loss with help.

PostPosted: 07/31/21 9:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Spain goes to 3-0 with a 76-66 win over Canada.

PostPosted: 07/31/21 9:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wonder what pissed that Spain coach off enough to chase down the official after the buzzer Laughing

Joe Foss

PostPosted: 07/31/21 10:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:
Wonder what pissed that Spain coach off enough to chase down the official after the buzzer Laughing

Maybe he thought the last foul call on Casas should have gone on Nurse instead. Looked like he was mad enough to take on all 3 refs.

PostPosted: 08/01/21 6:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Group play finishes with a bang with four games to be played over a 13 hour time span. Group A finished earlier today with an unexpectedly close win by Serbia over Korea. Final standings in that group are 1. Spain (3-0), 2. Serbia (2-1) 3. Canada (1-2) 4. Korea (0-3). Spain and Serbia advance to the quarters. Canada can still get in, but only if their points differential (+7) is better than one of the other two 3rd place finishers.

Current standings in Group B are 1. USA (2-0), 2. Japan (1-1), 3. France (1-1) and 4. Nigeria (0-2). Japan plays Nigeria tonight at 9:00 P.M. EDT, followed by France and the US at 12:40 A.M. EDT Monday. 3rd place France has a +21 point differential, but either Japan (-13) or Nigeria (-34) could end up in 3rd.

Group C standings are 1. Belgium (2-0), 2. China (2-0), 3. Australia (0-2), 4. Puerto Rico (0-2). Belgium and China play for first place Monday at 4:20 A.M. EDT. Australia and Puerto Rico play the final game in group play Monday at 8:00 A.M. EDT. Australia has a -17 point differential, so in order to pass +7 Canada for the final quarterfinal spot, they would have to win by 25. Although that's a tall order, Puerto Rico has been the worst team in the tournament, with a point differential of -77, so it's certainly doable.

PostPosted: 08/01/21 7:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Isn't points scored the first tiebreaker? Because, if it is, Australia should get in, unless they outright lose to Puerto Rico.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/01/21 7:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No. First tiebreaker is 'points', as in points from winning or losing games (2 for a win, 1 for a loss). Then points-difference (points scored minus points conceded), then points scored, then FIBA ranking. The multi-use of the word 'points' can make it confusing.

Also, in FIBA it's virtually always the categories in games between the teams that are tied that counts first, before you go to overall group numbers. But that obviously doesn't apply when you're comparing teams from different groups who haven't played each other.

PostPosted: 08/01/21 8:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
No. First tiebreaker is 'points', as in points from winning or losing games (2 for a win, 1 for a loss). Then points-difference (points scored minus points conceded), then points scored, then FIBA ranking. The multi-use of the word 'points' can make it confusing.

I don't find it to be confusing, just unnecessarily pedantic. I disregarded the "first" tiebreaker, because I thought that it was evident that it didn't apply to any of the teams we were talking about. That is, in fact, why I explicitly said, "unless they outright lose to Puerto Rico" because, if they finish pool play at 0-3, none of the other tiebreakers matter, anyway. I was going off the assumption that Australia is going to beat Puerto Rico, and was asking whether points scored is the first relevant tiebreaker?

Last edited by Silky Johnson on 08/01/21 8:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
Joe Foss

PostPosted: 08/01/21 8:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can't recall seeing numbers like 88 on basketball unis, as Japan's Himawari Akaho is wearing. I thought both digits had to be between 0 and 5 so the refs could signal the player who committed the foul without running out of fingers.

PostPosted: 08/01/21 8:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

I don't find it to be confusing, just unnecessarily pedantic. I disregarded the "first" tiebreaker, because I thought that it was evident that it didn't apply to any of the teams we were talking about. That is, in fact, why I explicitly said, "unless they outright lose to Puerto Rico" because, if they finish pool play at 0-3, none of the other tiebreakers matter, anyway. I was going off the assumption that Australia is going to beat Puerto Rico, and was asking whether points scored is the first relevant tiebreaker?

I tried to be clear about the answer. I still feel I did that. But hey, you go on being you.

PostPosted: 08/01/21 8:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I didn't say that you were unclear. Your answer was very clear. It was also pedantic. Those aren't mutually exclusive.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 08/01/21 8:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Anyway, this game kinda turned on a dime.

lynxmania

PostPosted: 08/01/21 9:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shit I thought this was the 4th quarter Shocked

Japan embarrassing Nigeria right now

Linzin

PostPosted: 08/01/21 9:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think this is the first 100+ scoring game in the tournament for the women. Japan ran away with this shit yikes.

PostPosted: 08/01/21 9:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Unless I'm mistaken, this will be the first time that Japan advances to the knockout stages, that they won't have to play USA in the quarterfinals.

awhom111

PostPosted: 08/01/21 11:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Joe Foss wrote:
I can't recall seeing numbers like 88 on basketball unis, as Japan's Himawari Akaho is wearing. I thought both digits had to be between 0 and 5 so the refs could signal the player who committed the foul without running out of fingers.

FIBA used to only allow the numbers 4 through 15, but now there is no limit.
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 08/02/21 7:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Opals need to win by 25+ to stay alive in the tournament
Just tipped off
https://olympics.com/tokyo-2020/olympic-games/en/results/basketball/results-women-gpc-000600-.htm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: