RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

W Mulls Expansion As League Audience Grows

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 07/19/21 5:18 pm    ::: W Mulls Expansion As League Audience Grows Reply Reply with quote

https://frontofficesports.com/wnba-mulls-expansion-as-audience-grows/

Quote:
Bankers estimated that the 2019 sale of the New York Liberty — a bigger-market team — was in the $10 million to $14 million range.

PostPosted: 07/19/21 5:59 pm    ::: Re: W Mulls Expansion As League Audience Grows Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
https://frontofficesports.com/wnba-mulls-expansion-as-audience-grows/

Quote:
Bankers estimated that the 2019 sale of the New York Liberty — a bigger-market team — was in the $10 million to $14 million range.

That quote was already revealed in this article.
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/26/atlanta-dream-sold-to-larry-gottesdiener-following-kelly-loeffler-controversy.html

Isn’t there something more interesting to quote? How about this?
Quote:
Interest in the WNBA has spiked exponentially in the last year.
Viewership in the U.S. this season was up 74% on ABC, ESPN, and ESPN2 through the first five games of the season. Canadian viewership increased 325%.
The WNBA Finals saw a 15% year-over-year increase in viewership last year.
In May, Google joined Nike, Deloitte, and AT&T as a WNBA Changemaker.
Amazon purchased exclusive streaming rights to 16 WNBA games each season in a multiyear deal.

That’s not a volleyball spike for those obsessed with volleyball.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
johnjohnW

PostPosted: 07/19/21 8:35 pm    ::: Re: W Mulls Expansion As League Audience Grows Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
That’s not a volleyball spike for those obsessed with volleyball.

Living up to the name. Shades.

huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 07/20/21 8:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The numbers seem to be encouraging, but I wonder if viewership of anything did not increase during the Summer of Covid?

That said, the pandemic may prove to be the springboard the league needed.

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 07/20/21 10:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

huskiemaniac wrote:
The numbers seem to be encouraging, but I wonder if viewership of anything did not increase during the Summer of Covid?

I thought a lot of ratings went down due to oversaturation? The need for content and game availability helped tremendously, but single game ratings started to lag as the season went on if I remember.

hyperetic

PostPosted: 07/21/21 12:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here's the more interesting thing to quote in my opinion:

Quote:
Charlotte, Houston, Philadelphia, and Toronto have been identified as potential expansion cities.

Not to mention that 2 of the 4 potential expansion cities are former W team cities that had considerable support.
tfan

PostPosted: 07/21/21 9:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
huskiemaniac wrote:

I thought a lot of ratings went down due to oversaturation? The need for content and game availability helped tremendously, but single game ratings started to lag as the season went on if I remember.

The WNBA regular season 2020 ratings were down, but they "spiked" in the post season:

Quote:

While the league saw a slight dip in overall viewers last year, interest spiked during the Finals, with the WNBA recording a 15% year-over-year increase in viewership

https://frontofficesports.com/wnba-viewership-jumps-74-as-25th-season-kicks-off/

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 07/22/21 5:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:

Quote:
Charlotte, Houston, Philadelphia, and Toronto have been identified as potential expansion cities.

Not to mention that 2 of the 4 potential expansion cities are former W team cities that had considerable support.

I wonder what the source is for those 4 cities? Toronto nd Philadelphia are both cities that have had some talk but no actual ownership or league interest. Charlotte and Houston are often in wishlists along with Portland for returning teams. That lost sounds like it was written by someone here and not necessarily someone with any inside knowledge.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 07/22/21 7:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
hyperetic wrote:

Quote:

I wonder what the source is for those 4 cities? Toronto nd Philadelphia are both cities that have had some talk but no actual ownership or league interest. Charlotte and Houston are often in wishlists along with Portland for returning teams. That lost sounds like it was written by someone here and not necessarily someone with any inside knowledge.

_____________X

PostPosted: 07/22/21 3:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:

I realize you can't believe everything you read on the internet but for now I am taking it at face value. In the end, if its not true, its really no "skin off my nose" besides the usual disappointment when one of these kinds of stories doesn't pan out.
johnjohnW

PostPosted: 07/22/21 4:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:

I realize you can't believe everything you read on the internet but for now I am taking it at face value. In the end, if its not true, its really no "skin off my nose" besides the usual disappointment when one of these kinds of stories doesn't pan out.

I hear you. I'd love to see it.

It does seem odd that they picked those four cities. We had the sketchy Toronto proposal that was a house of cards, Natasha Cloud being misquoted about a Philly expansion and the constant drum of Houston and Charlotte coming back. It just sounds like the author did a quick search of possible cities based on recent debunked speculation and doesn't have any actual intel.

Throw in Portland and Bay Area and you'd have every expansion post from the last 5 years.

hyperetic

PostPosted: 07/23/21 9:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:

I hear you. I'd love to see it.

It does seem odd that they picked those four cities. We had the sketchy Toronto proposal that was a house of cards, Natasha Cloud being misquoted about a Philly expansion and the constant drum of Houston and Charlotte coming back. It just sounds like the author did a quick search of possible cities based on recent debunked speculation and doesn't have any actual intel.

Throw in Portland and Bay Area and you'd have every expansion post from the last 5 years.

Does seem kind of suspect when you put it like that.
pilight

PostPosted: 08/24/21 6:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/WNBA/status/1430273713870557186

Quote:
We got some big news coming

Stay tuned.

PostPosted: 08/24/21 8:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Now pilight… how do you know this “big news” involves expansion, hmm? 🧐

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 08/24/21 8:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Now pilight… how do you know this “big news” involves expansion, hmm? 🧐

Oakland has had the momentum this summer could it be? Or Toronto?

PostPosted: 08/24/21 8:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We've seen this "big news" before.....

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 08/24/21 10:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just hope it is 2 teams for balance.

jmvcity

PostPosted: 08/24/21 10:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Watch the big news be something like the announcement of another new logo.

RI_Sun_Fan

PostPosted: 08/25/21 12:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Did they announce a 25th anniversary team yet ?

Stormeo

PostPosted: 08/25/21 1:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What if the "big news" was just referring to the tweet posted after that tweet, about the Defending World Champion Seattle Storm having already clinched a playoff spot. Laughing Laughing Laughing Wink

Probably not. Though RI_Sun_Fan might be onto something – I could definitely see the news just being the announcement of the 25th Anniversary Team, to which I say: Keep it. Couldn't care less. Mad

Michelle89

PostPosted: 08/25/21 5:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cathy said in an interview a week ago or so that they probably will be in serious talks about expansion next year. So i doubt there will be 1 now

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Randy

PostPosted: 08/25/21 10:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Could this be the exciting news:

https://twitter.com/WNBA/status/1430531224012001282?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1430531224012001282%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_c10&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwbbdaily.boards.net%2Fthread%2F807%2Fwnba-partners-nba-top-shot

Razz

Quote:

WNBA
@WNBA
·
1h
Y’all ready for this? 🔥

In our historic 25th season the #WNBA is partnering with
@nbatopshot
to bring you highlights as digital collectibles.

justintyme

PostPosted: 08/25/21 10:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Next "Big News" announcement: WNBA selling NFTs.

Want to "own" Spoon's The Shot? Now you can!

PostPosted: 08/25/21 11:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

can someone fill me in on what NFT's are? thanks.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: