RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Oakland took a major step towards getting WNBA team
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Milks26

PostPosted: 07/16/21 9:49 pm    ::: Oakland took a major step towards getting WNBA team Reply Reply with quote

https://www.goldenstateofmind.com/2021/7/16/22581005/warriors-wnba-oakland-arena-lease

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/friday-conversation-talking-wnba-oakland-oakland-vice/id1174389272?i=1000529117363

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 07/16/21 11:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would love for this group to achieve what Lacob has waffled about for years.

I would also love to see an east coast expansion counterpart.

DFWub2018

PostPosted: 07/17/21 3:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:

I want Houston to get one first....weekend road trips, we don't like their city and they don't like ours, instant rivalry!!!

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 07/18/21 12:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DFWub2018 wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:

I want Houston to get one first....weekend road trips, we don't like their city and they don't like ours, instant rivalry!!!

+1

PostPosted: 07/18/21 7:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
DFWub2018 wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:

+1

šŸ˜

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 07/19/21 4:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DFWub2018 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
DFWub2018 wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:

+1

šŸ˜

From what I gather, Lacob is waiting for a team to be relocated so they can hit the ground running, instead of getting an expansion team that will be in the lottery for the next 3-5 years.. Idea It is what it is.. Confused

myrtle

PostPosted: 07/19/21 6:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Admiral_Needa wrote:
DFWub2018 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
DFWub2018 wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:

+1

šŸ˜

From what I gather, Lacob is waiting for a team to be relocated so they can hit the ground running, instead of getting an expansion team that will be in the lottery for the next 3-5 years.. Idea It is what it is.. Confused

understandable POV really. I think the W needs to make expansion a bit more palatable in terms of helping a team get up to competitive speed sooner rather than later.
Off the wall ideas: 6 teams with the best 2 year records can only protect 5 players. The bottom half can protect 6. Give the expansion teams an opportunity to at least be in the lottery -essentially they've had a two year record of zero wins. This one is truly off the wall but how about giving an expansion team a 'local' pick before the rest of the draft begins. Of course defining 'local' would be tricky in some parts of the country so it would need to be laid out well in advance of actually having expansion teams. I could see it as including a player who played HS ball in your state, as well as including those who played for a college within a certain perimeter distance. Of course that would actually favor some parts of the country (where there are lots of P5 teams relatively close together) over others , but those are where the expansion teams probably have the best chance of success anyway. It immediately puts a local star on the team to help develop fanbase. Maybe allow the expansion team to overpay a FA for the first two years.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 07/19/21 8:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Admiral_Needa wrote:
DFWub2018 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
DFWub2018 wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:

+1

šŸ˜

understandable POV really. I think the W needs to make expansion a bit more palatable in terms of helping a team get up to competitive speed sooner rather than later.
Off the wall ideas: 6 teams with the best 2 year records can only protect 5 players. The bottom half can protect 6. Give the expansion teams an opportunity to at least be in the lottery -essentially they've had a two year record of zero wins. This one is truly off the wall but how about giving an expansion team a 'local' pick before the rest of the draft begins. Of course defining 'local' would be tricky in some parts of the country so it would need to be laid out well in advance of actually having expansion teams. I could see it as including a player who played HS ball in your state, as well as including those who played for a college within a certain perimeter distance. Of course that would actually favor some parts of the country (where there are lots of P5 teams relatively close together) over others , but those are where the expansion teams probably have the best chance of success anyway. It immediately puts a local star on the team to help develop fanbase. Maybe allow the expansion team to overpay a FA for the first two years.

Was the "local player" concept considered successful in the ABL? I really don't recall.

myrtle

PostPosted: 07/19/21 8:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If I remember right, the ABL assigned two 'local' players then drafted more normally. Obviously the league failed but I don't think it had anything to do with that aspect of what they did.

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 07/19/21 8:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
If I remember right, the ABL assigned two 'local' players then drafted more normally. Obviously the league failed but I don't think it had anything to do with that aspect of what they did.

Didn't the W essentially try to designate local players too?

I feel like the Digging/Cambage era (the one year it was) Wings would've been the perfect relocation for Lacob. That would've been a marketing goldnine to have Digging and Curry and Cambage and Draymond. Oh well.

pilight

PostPosted: 07/19/21 9:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Didn't the W essentially try to designate local players too?

For the first season in 1997 they assigned two players to each team and considered geography. According to the league they wanted to assign players to teams where they would be "household names" to the local fans. Cynthia Cooper talked about that in her book. She was from Southern California and wanted to be assigned to the Sparks but was living in Houston during the summer at the time so got assigned to The Comets instead. She said in Texas she was a "household name" in exactly one household.

PostPosted: 07/30/21 12:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/Kaplan4Oakland/status/1421146859897200641
Quote:

This morning the Board which oversees the Oakland Arena voted unanimously to approve the term sheet for a lease for a #WNBA team!

PostPosted: 07/30/21 1:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
https://twitter.com/Kaplan4Oakland/status/1421146859897200641
Quote:

This morning the Board which oversees the Oakland Arena voted unanimously to approve the term sheet for a lease for a #WNBA team!

Ok. What does this actually mean though? Do we have an ownership group or approval from he league?

ClayK

PostPosted: 07/30/21 3:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.theoaklandarena.com/assets/doc/Board-Package-7.30.21-01249b4ace.pdf

$86,000 a game ... no parking or concessions.

PostPosted: 07/30/21 4:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

Do we know how this stacks up compared to other teams in the league?

Randy

PostPosted: 07/30/21 6:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
ClayK wrote:

That's about $1.5 m per season and seems like a lot to me. I'd guess the Dream pay no more than the Hawk's g-league team which has been reported in the local press as only 5k per game. Who is paying for the areana? People who rent cars at the Atlanta airport. The teams ought to at least give them free passes to their games....

https://arenadigest.com/2019/11/07/gateway-center-arena-college-park-set-to-open/

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 07/30/21 6:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:
ClayK wrote:

That's about $1.5 m per season and seems like a lot to me. I'd guess the Dream pay no more than the Hawk's g-league team which has been reported in the local press as only 5k per game. Who is paying for the areana? People who rent cars at the Atlanta airport. The teams ought to at least give them free passes to their games....

https://arenadigest.com/2019/11/07/gateway-center-arena-college-park-set-to-open/

Didn't the Dream have a really bad lease when they played at Phillips?

Randy

PostPosted: 07/30/21 6:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't know but the Hawks didn't want the Dream playing their anymore. Check out the old Dream (2019-2020?) threads and there was discussion about it.

TDAO

PostPosted: 07/31/21 9:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Storm's lease at KeyArena seems to be the best point of comparison since that was also an arena vacated by its NBA anchor tenant. Although this is technically the lease for the new arena, it carries over key provisions: http://seattle.legistar.com/View.ashx?M=F&ID=5166435&GUID=F8F11F12-996B-4BAE-B9E3-DC6B9E6AFDC2

The Storm pay $5,715 for rent when only the lower bowl is used and $8,115 if the upper bowl is open. By comparison, the Oakland team would pay $11,000 per game.

The bulk of the figure Clay cites ($75,000) is for staffing, which the city of Seattle covers. However, it does appear the Oakland team would have some additional revenue streams with 40% of net parking and the ability to resell suites.

I'm not sure how concessions would compare. The Storm get 30% of revenue from concessions whereas the Oakland team would get 40% of net revenue. So that depends on how much concessions costs are and if staffing is covered by the overall staffing price.

pilight

PostPosted: 07/31/21 9:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The term sheet is non-binding, so a prospective owner could negotiate better terms

PostPosted: 07/31/21 11:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TDAO wrote:
The Storm's lease at KeyArena seems to be the best point of comparison since that was also an arena vacated by its NBA anchor tenant. Although this is technically the lease for the new arena, it carries over key provisions: http://seattle.legistar.com/View.ashx?M=F&ID=5166435&GUID=F8F11F12-996B-4BAE-B9E3-DC6B9E6AFDC2

The Storm pay $5,715 for rent when only the lower bowl is used and $8,115 if the upper bowl is open. By comparison, the Oakland team would pay $11,000 per game.

The bulk of the figure Clay cites ($75,000) is for staffing, which the city of Seattle covers. However, it does appear the Oakland team would have some additional revenue streams with 40% of net parking and the ability to resell suites.

I'm not sure how concessions would compare. The Storm get 30% of revenue from concessions whereas the Oakland team would get 40% of net revenue. So that depends on how much concessions costs are and if staffing is covered by the overall staffing price.

The primary thing that all that suggests to me is that when one base number is reported for these things it's never the whole story. There are so many layers and elements to these deals - what's included in the figure, is it net or gross, what are the other expenses and who's paying them - that comparing one base number to the next is always dangerous without lots of context.

PostPosted: 07/31/21 1:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does 75k for staffing seem reasonable? Seems like most of the staffing are low paid, part time people: concessions, ushers, ticket sales, security, etc.

GEF34

PostPosted: 07/31/21 6:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Does 75k for staffing seem reasonable? Seems like most of the staffing are low paid, part time people: concessions, ushers, ticket sales, security, etc.

It doesnā€™t seem unreasonable to me because those type of workers donā€™t all just make minimum wage, especially if they have worked with the company for many years. Plus if you have to consider their supervisorā€™s pay which is going to be more than minimum wage. Plus there are going to be other cost that come into play such as equipment for concessions and tickets and metal detectors, and also you have first aid, police, IT among other categories that canā€™t just be ā€œpart time, low paid peopleā€.

Randy

PostPosted: 07/31/21 7:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
Randy wrote:

It doesnā€™t seem unreasonable to me because those type of workers donā€™t all just make minimum wage, especially if they have worked with the company for many years. Plus if you have to consider their supervisorā€™s pay which is going to be more than minimum wage. Plus there are going to be other cost that come into play such as equipment for concessions and tickets and metal detectors, and also you have first aid, police, IT among other categories that canā€™t just be ā€œpart time, low paid peopleā€.

Looks like you are right. I did some digging and came up with this:

https://www.si.com/nba/2020/03/13/arena-workers-economic-impact-sports-shutdown-coronavirus

Quote:
At Chicago Blackhawks hockey games alone, about 1,500 workers are in or outside the building on event nights: guest services, concessions, parking, security, box office and so on.

The per game payroll is more than $250,000," said Courtney Greve Hack, a spokeswoman for the United Center.

Of course, they have bigger crowds than a WNBA game. So scaling it down to 75 k seems it is in the ball park. In fact, it might make more economic sense to have a small arena with a small staff even it it means fewer fans. (e.g. the Dream and Mystics approach.)

pilight

PostPosted: 08/03/21 10:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OAKLAND IS READY FOR WNBA EXPANSION: A CONVERSATION WITH VICE MAYOR REBECCA KAPLAN

https://winsidr.com/2021/08/oakland-is-ready-for-wnba-expansion-a-conversation-with-vice-mayor-rebecca-kaplan/

Quote:
Iā€™ve been working on it with the WNBA, with the staff at the JPA, and then with the ownership group, AASEG. They have put together an incredible team to launch this effort.

More about AASEG here:

https://www.aasegoakland.com/

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: