RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

The Olympic Break
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 07/12/21 4:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was an ABL fan. It played hoop in the winter, as intended by The Lord Dr. Naismith.

At that time, I hated the rival W and its summer time let's-do-something-w/-our-empty-NBA-arenas bankroll.

25 "count 'em" yrs later... The W is still a part-time league and gets interrupted by the Summer Olympics. It still waits for players to return from their overseas "real" commitments at the start of every season.

Women's pro basketball remains a niche sport in the U.S.

Could the W survive the winter? I don't know, but I wish it would play during "normal" basketball season. Over the course of the college hoop season there are many nights with no women's basketball on TV. I know I would watch the W if it were offered.

So, my "Olympic problem" solution: play during the winter.

pilight

PostPosted: 07/12/21 4:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ideally basketball would be a part of the Winter Olympics, as it was designed specifically to be a winter sport and is predominantly played in that season.

As for the ABL, it's fairly instructive as to what we would likely see if the W moved to a winter schedule, i.e. the league would cease to exist in short order.

PostPosted: 07/12/21 5:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seeing that such a change couldn’t be made before around 2027, if they started planning for it now, a change to a longer winter schedule could work.

Let’s say they double the amount of games. Then ESPN and the like should pay at least double what they are now, seeing that the respect and interest in women’s basketball seems to be growing, and these media outlets have been underpaying for years. Doubling the current salaries could be enough to pull it off. There’s a handful of the biggest stars that already don’t play overseas (Diggins, Delle Donne, Wilson, I’m sure there’s more). I think you guys underestimate how lucrative are some of these endorsement deals and what these players value. Older players are choosing WNBA over overseas. They definitely value playing in the WNBA, and maybe their lucrative endorsement deals require it.

Along with a winter schedule, I’d like to see an expansion to at least 16 teams, so more areas have local teams, driving additional demand for media coverage.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
justintyme

PostPosted: 07/12/21 6:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Ideally basketball would be a part of the Winter Olympics, as it was designed specifically to be a winter sport and is predominantly played in that season.

As for the ABL, it's fairly instructive as to what we would likely see if the W moved to a winter schedule, i.e. the league would cease to exist in short order.

Other than the Winter Olympics are dwarfed by the Summer ones. So many more countries participate in the Summer Games. The winter ones are kind of niche, and all the truly prestige events are in the summer.

With the worldwide popularity of basketball, that's why it's included in the Summer Games.

PostPosted: 07/12/21 11:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
pilight wrote:

Other than the Winter Olympics are dwarfed by the Summer ones. So many more countries participate in the Summer Games. The winter ones are kind of niche, and all the truly prestige events are in the summer.

With the worldwide popularity of basketball, that's why it's included in the Summer Games.

Also, it seems to me that Winter Olympics doesn't include "sports played in wintertime," which includes many sports played in indoor gyms when it's cold outside, but rather "sports that involve ice, snow, or directly involve cold temperatures."

ClayK

PostPosted: 07/13/21 8:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The WNBA in winter:

1) Would ESPN (or any network) rather show the NBA or the WNBA? Which gets better ratings?

2) Would ESPN (or any network) rather show college men's basketball or the WNBA? Which gets better ratings?

The answer to those two questions are obvious, and so not only is it unlikely ESPN would pay more for WNBA rights, it would likely pay less.

That said, if the NCAA disappears and college sports fall apart, the window of opportunity in the winter does get bigger.

Another aspect is the range of sports that draw national interest in the summer as opposed to late fall and winter. Baseball is a regional sport with poor ratings, and that's the biggest consistent competition for the WNBA in the summer. In the late fall and early winter, there's football as well as the NBA and men's basketball. The WNBA would now be competing with the NHL for attention rather than one-off events like Wimbledon or Eurocup.

At this point, the two main sources of in-person attendance for the WNBA are the LGBTQ+ population and families with young daughters who play basketball. The latter group is less likely to go to the games in the winter because of conflicts with school teams and going to school. And of course there is a minor overlap with college women's basketball fans, not all of whom would choose the WNBA.

Now maybe there's a way to make the WNBA work in the winter, but it seems to me it is a less attractive TV product in the winter and would lose some of its attendance base. And of course if the overseas teams pay more, the stars would be forced to make business decisions about where to play.

PostPosted: 07/13/21 9:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Speaking as someone who lives "up north" and has 6 months of snow, ice, and frigid misery to look forward to every year, I'd probably watch at least 50% more WNBA games than I do now if they were played in the winter. I'd even consider taking a long weekend and going someplace warm where I could see a game in person. But there's no way I'll ever watch a game on a summer afternoon, those days are just too short.

There are so many obscure factors that affect viewership that I think it's hard to generalize.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 07/13/21 10:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
The WNBA in winter:

1) Would ESPN (or any network) rather show the NBA or the WNBA? Which gets better ratings?

2) Would ESPN (or any network) rather show college men's basketball or the WNBA? Which gets better ratings?

The answer to those two questions are obvious, and so not only is it unlikely ESPN would pay more for WNBA rights, it would likely pay less.

That said, if the NCAA disappears and college sports fall apart, the window of opportunity in the winter does get bigger.

Another aspect is the range of sports that draw national interest in the summer as opposed to late fall and winter. Baseball is a regional sport with poor ratings, and that's the biggest consistent competition for the WNBA in the summer. In the late fall and early winter, there's football as well as the NBA and men's basketball. The WNBA would now be competing with the NHL for attention rather than one-off events like Wimbledon or Eurocup.

At this point, the two main sources of in-person attendance for the WNBA are the LGBTQ+ population and families with young daughters who play basketball. The latter group is less likely to go to the games in the winter because of conflicts with school teams and going to school. And of course there is a minor overlap with college women's basketball fans, not all of whom would choose the WNBA.

Now maybe there's a way to make the WNBA work in the winter, but it seems to me it is a less attractive TV product in the winter and would lose some of its attendance base. And of course if the overseas teams pay more, the stars would be forced to make business decisions about where to play.

The bolded sentence is the only point you managed to communicate, without making it sound like an underhanded shot at the WNBA, and it's something that I've thought about, as well: I've been out of the "team-rooting" business, ever since the ain't-shit Maloofs shut down the Monarchs without even giving the league a reasonable amount of time to look for new ownership, like conservatives trying to pass a voter suppression bill, in the middle of the night. And, as someone who doesn't ride for the place where they went to college, or for they live, I can't relate to people who get attached to schools, in that way, especially the ones who didn't even go to that school, they just root for them, Because of Reasons™. But yeah, I don't know how large a percentage of WNBA fans they make up, but there's definitely a vocal contingent of WNBA fans who will go out of their way to make sure you know that their first loyalty is to the amateurs, and I don't imagine that there's anything that the WNBA can do to turn those people around.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
ClayK

PostPosted: 07/13/21 10:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just to be clear:

As one who went to high school when girls' sports was one day a year ... something called GAA -- and as one of the first sportwriters to cover girls' high school basketball -- I have watched since ground zero.

And to have imagined, at the birth of Title IX, that 4,500 people would spend their hard-earned money to watch women play professional basketball night-in and night-out would have been sheerest fantasy.

The accomplishments of the WNBA are impressive, without question, as the league has carved out a home in the crowded marketplace of American sports, and the hard work of coaches, players, owners and league employees has paid off more than old folks like me could have ever thought possible.

At the same time, though, I think it's important to balance the pride with reality, and though you take my post as "shots at the WNBA," I don't see it that way. For me, that's the way things are right now. Maybe they'll change in the future; maybe they won't -- but the WNBA and those who built it deserve all the respect and credit available. The road has been long, and if it ends with the aforementioned 4,500 people supporting 12 WNBA franchises -- or crowds of 20,000 screaming for 24 franchises -- the destination is still so far from its starting point that it stands as an almost literally incredible achievement.

PostPosted: 07/13/21 10:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
... At the same time, though, I think it's important to balance the pride with reality, and though you take my post as "shots at the WNBA," I don't see it that way. For me, that's the way things are right now...

Uh huh... I'll just say this, and you can have the last word on the subject, if you like: my experience has taught me to be highly distrustful of the motives of people who hide behind the veneer of, "I'm just telling it like it is!"

justintyme

PostPosted: 07/13/21 12:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
ClayK wrote:
... At the same time, though, I think it's important to balance the pride with reality, and though you take my post as "shots at the WNBA," I don't see it that way. For me, that's the way things are right now...

Uh huh... I'll just say this, and you can have the last word on the subject, if you like: my experience has taught me to be highly distrustful of the motives of people who hide behind the veneer of, "I'm just telling it like it is!"

Except he's not wrong. We already see what happens to the WNBA when it runs up against NBA (or other sports) seasons during the playoffs. One of the biggest advantages of playing during the summer is arena sharing. If they played winter ball, what team is gonna get bounced from the areans? It ain't gonna be the NBA (or the college team, if they are playing in a college arena).

And unless the WNBA wants to air their games at non-peak times, they aren't gonna get much of a chance on the national airwaves during the heavy sports season. Taking on the NBA is bad enough, but also compete against the NFL juggernaut? That immediately rules out any Thursday, Sunday, and Monday games. College Football on Saturdays. Throw in the NHL being broadcast on the regional sports channels along with the NBA, and even the number of games aired by those will plummet.

PostPosted: 07/13/21 12:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree that a Winter schedule would bring additional challenges. You could have a much longer season I guess which might give you time to fit games here and there around all the other sports happening, but it would be a hodgepodge.

I do think that having so many games crammed into a short time frame as we do in Summer, and especially when avoiding the Olys, is detrimental to the players' health. No team should have to play 4 games in 7 days for instance. It simply should not happen. But that's a bit OT and how to avoid it is another question. I'm inclined to think in Olympic years, if they are going to continue with the extra long break, that the number of games should be reduced. Not as few as in the bubble, but say by six games - just play the OOC teams twice instead of three times - that would reduce some of the stress.

pilight

PostPosted: 07/13/21 12:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
pilight wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
I feel like I used to know this, but what does the NHL do in Olympic years?

They used to break, but they stopped for the last Olympics

Do they lose a comparable number of players?

I honestly have no idea. I think I might have watched a hockey game once ...

Almost no players skipped out on the NHL to play in the 2018 Olympics

PostPosted: 07/13/21 1:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Except he's not wrong...

So? At what point did I say that he was wrong? I didn't accuse him of not making valid points, I accused him of communicating his points in a way that made it sound like he had contempt for the WNBA. I didn't challenge the veracity of what he said, I challenged the motives behind why he said it.

You know those misogynist assholes who stand up to belittle women's sports by saying things like, "women are not physically as strong as men"? Or, like, "Serena couldn't beat Roger Federer in a match," or "The USWNT lost to a boys U-18 team." They're technically not "wrong," either. And? The larger question remains, what are their motives in pointing those facts out? Whom do they think they're serving with that information?

mercfan3

PostPosted: 07/13/21 1:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think it’s fine the way it is.

Yeah, there are drawbacks - but the women’s US Olympic team gets more press than the WNBA, and it always feels like that bleeds into the second half of the WNBA season.

There are certainly some drawbacks (players missing time), but I think the media exposure makes it not worth worrying about as much.

PostPosted: 07/13/21 1:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
justintyme wrote:
Except he's not wrong...

So? At what point did I say that he was wrong? I didn't accuse him of not making valid points, I accused him of communicating his points in a way that made it sound like he had contempt for the WNBA. I didn't challenge the veracity of what he said, I challenged the motives behind why he said it.

You know those misogynist assholes who stand up to belittle women's sports by saying things like, "women are not physically as strong as men"? Or, like, "Serena couldn't beat Roger Federer in a match," or "The USWNT lost to a boys U-18 team." They're technically not "wrong," either. And? The larger question remains, what are their motives in pointing those facts out? Whom do they think they're serving with that information?

IMO It's all about context. If someone just starts pointing to things like this out of nowhere, or in response to something positive (like if your response to Serena winning a match is "but she can't beat Federer), then yeah, it's misogynistic tripe. But if the points are being made in good faith--like say noting the logistical realities of how a sport would fit in with other sports being played at the same time, when the discussion being had is specifically about potentially changing the timing of the season and whether or not that's a good idea--the information is important and serves the discussion being had.

I'm just not seeing the issue here...

PostPosted: 07/13/21 2:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

> I challenged the motives behind why he said it.

Seriously? Hey, I know I come across badly sometimes, and I can understand negative reactions ...

Do you really think I have an anti-WNBA agenda? Anti-women's basketball? Anti-women's sports?

I was just going to let this go, but that stings (which is what you want, I guess). Is there a purity test I need to pass? Is there some code I didn't live up to? Do I need to do more for the game?

#HateHard is fun, in a way, but do you want to drive people away from this forum? Away from discussing the sport unless they agree with you?

You do your part as well, and maybe it was just a bad morning (and maybe it's just a bad morning for me), but still ... that was a bitter pill to swallow.

PostPosted: 07/13/21 2:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Except he's not wrong. We already see what happens to the WNBA when it runs up against NBA (or other sports) seasons during the playoffs. One of the biggest advantages of playing during the summer is arena sharing. If they played winter ball, what team is gonna get bounced from the areans? It ain't gonna be the NBA (or the college team, if they are playing in a college arena).

And unless the WNBA wants to air their games at non-peak times, they aren't gonna get much of a chance on the national airwaves during the heavy sports season. Taking on the NBA is bad enough, but also compete against the NFL juggernaut? That immediately rules out any Thursday, Sunday, and Monday games. College Football on Saturdays. Throw in the NHL being broadcast on the regional sports channels along with the NBA, and even the number of games aired by those will plummet.

We saw happen last season because of the pandemic when all 4 of the professional sports leagues, college football and the niche sports all were going on at the time. People just picked what they wanted to watch and ratings went down across the board for the most part. The die hard fans of a sport is going to watch it no matter what it is up against.

Davis4632

PostPosted: 07/13/21 2:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Double Post.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 07/13/21 2:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
IMO It's all about context. If someone just starts pointing to things like this out of nowhere, or in response to something positive (like if your response to Serena winning a match is "but she can't beat Federer), then yeah, it's misogynistic tripe. But if the points are being made in good faith--like say noting the logistical realities of how a sport would fit in with other sports being played at the same time, when the discussion being had is specifically about potentially changing the timing of the season and whether or not that's a good idea--the information is important and serves the discussion being had.

The issue is the part in bold: the source of the disconnect is that you are assuming that @Clayk is posting in good faith... and I'm not.

myrtle

PostPosted: 07/13/21 3:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
justintyme wrote:

The issue is the part in bold: the source of the disconnect is that you are assuming that @Clayk is posting in good faith... and I'm not.

I'm surprised you think that. Clay has opinions, as do most of us, but he obviously has spent a lot of his life supporting women's sports. I always appreciate his input even if sometimes I don't agree with it. Ditto for yours. I actually appreciate almost everybody who posts regularly - it's one of the fun things about this place. We're a pretty diverse lot with lots of different ideas, but we all love womens bball. #lovelite

Shades

PostPosted: 07/13/21 3:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
but we all love womens bball. #lovelite

No, I say if you think the draft lottery should be rigged to bring a certain player to a certain team in order to ”save the WNBA”, then you don’t really love women’s bball.

If you have a vote for the Wooden award and you perennially start a topic asking people who the best players are so you don’t have to figure it out yourself by, you know, watching the games, then you don’t really love women’s bball.

If you think women’s basketball needs to be more like volleyball (less physical contact, less rowdy fans, more fetching uniforms) in order to keep volleyball from taking over, then you don’t really love women’s basketball.

If you keep representing the voices that dissent against Becky Hammon becoming an NBA coach, then you don’t really love women, much less women’s basketball.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
ClayK

PostPosted: 07/13/21 5:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
myrtle wrote:
but we all love womens bball. #lovelite

No, I say if you think the draft lottery should be rigged to bring a certain player to a certain team in order to ”save the WNBA”, then you don’t really love women’s bball.

If you have a vote for the Wooden award and you perennially start a topic asking people who the best players are so you don’t have to figure it out yourself by, you know, watching the games, then you don’t really love women’s bball.

If you think women’s basketball needs to be more like volleyball (less physical contact, less rowdy fans, more fetching uniforms) in order to keep volleyball from taking over, then you don’t really love women’s basketball.

If you keep representing the voices that dissent against Becky Hammon becoming an NBA coach, then you don’t really love women, much less women’s basketball.

Which is why, of course, I'm about to leave to run a three-hour clinic for incoming freshmen.

I won't go into the details of Shades' comments, but like Silky, apparently only those whose opinions and actions match correctly can truly be called supporters of women's basketball.

It's a small tent, then. So, Silky and Shades (others need not reply), should I leave it? (A serious question, really. Maybe it's time to move on ...)

PostPosted: 07/13/21 5:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
It's a small tent, then. So, Silky and Shades (others need not reply), should I leave it? (A serious question, really. Maybe it's time to move on ...)

Contrary opinions are good things. While some may disagree with you, I know I often do, your contributions and perspectives are valuable.

PostPosted: 07/13/21 5:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I'm surprised you think that. Clay has opinions, as do most of us, but he obviously has spent a lot of his life supporting women's sports. I always appreciate his input even if sometimes I don't agree with it. Ditto for yours. I actually appreciate almost everybody who posts regularly - it's one of the fun things about this place. We're a pretty diverse lot with lots of different ideas, but we all love womens bball. #lovelite

I'll say this much: you and @ClayK have both been here a lot longer than I have, and so I will stipulate that you likely have a different relationship with him than I have, and that he may have sold some measure of credibility to you, that he hasn't sold to me.

I am not emotionally hardwired to give people the benefit of the doubt, as a default; with that as my foundation, and without the history with the poster that more tenured members may have, I find it difficult to read most of his remarks as anything but adversarial.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: