43%  [ 16 ]
Team WNBA
56%
 56%  [ 21 ]
Total Votes : 37

SCook

PostPosted: 07/14/21 8:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Team USA needs some Major overhauling In 2024 not pointing fingers but it’s obvious of what the weakness of this team is !!

The guards are trash. Wink

The coach is trash too.

PostPosted: 07/14/21 8:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It’s interesting seeing Tina, Syl, BG and Wilson. Is there enough versatility that differentiates that group? Such a big chunk of the roster.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 07/14/21 8:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
USAB now 1-3 in the past week at this arena

I’m more confident in the team that just lost Laughing

Gotta wonder if there is an 2004 Argentina type team around..

PostPosted: 07/14/21 8:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If LLL can coach the big 3 men she can coach a group of 11 women as she showed tonight. Great job TT as well but it was obvious who the group rallied behind great game to both sides !

PostPosted: 07/14/21 8:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Team USA needs some Major overhauling In 2024 not pointing fingers but it’s obvious of what the weakness of this team is !!

Fortunately for Team USA they won't see anymore guards as good as these.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 07/14/21 8:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
Luuuc wrote:

Yeah, to paraphrase something that pilight previously pointed out, tonight was always going to be a way tougher challenge for USA Women than anything they'll face in Tokyo. The only legitimate hurdle now is Covid19.

PostPosted: 07/14/21 8:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tina & Lisa were more engaged than Dawn the entire game.

I just.... None of the guards for Team USA had anything to offer? None? Arike was shimming in their faces and pointing at them and no one had another gear to either stop her or make sure they went off.

DT may be an oldie but when it's time to go, it's time to go.

PostPosted: 07/14/21 8:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
Luuuc wrote:

Yeah, to paraphrase something that pilight previously pointed out, tonight was always going to be a way tougher challenge for USA Women than anything they'll face in Tokyo. The only legitimate hurdle now is Covid19.

In terms talent, definitely. Some of those teams in Tokyo have been playing and practicing together a long while, which could make them dangerous.

PostPosted: 07/14/21 8:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
Luuuc wrote:

Right - and although they are competitive people and cared..they didn’t care as much as Team WNBA did.

It’s too bad Paige, Azzi, and Clark weren’t ready for the Olympic round though…I’d rather them learning the ropes from Taurasi/Bird instead of Gray/Diggins.

PostPosted: 07/14/21 8:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SCook wrote:

I just.... None of the guards for Team USA had anything to offer? None? Arike was shimming in their faces and pointing at them and no one had another gear to either stop her or make sure they went off.

It’s why complaining about Bird and Taurasi was always silly to me. They’re the best guards on the team.

Part of the problem is that after those two..the elite WNBA players have been forwards. That’s starting to change now, and our team will reflect that in the future..but this team is gonna have weaker guards.

PostPosted: 07/14/21 8:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bird, Gray, Taurasi, Loyd, Atkins is a 'weaker' guard lineup that every other country in the world combined still could not hang with. So ... it's all relative.

PostPosted: 07/14/21 8:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
SCook wrote:

It’s why complaining about Bird and Taurasi was always silly to me. They’re the best guards on the team.

Part of the problem is that after those two..the elite WNBA players have been forwards. That’s starting to change now, and our team will reflect that in the future..but this team is gonna have weaker guards.

Best scoring guards? Because we just watched Sue get ate up by all of them tonight. I mean.... sigh. Let me just leave it alone.

At this rate, Dawn needs to go with the big lineup of BG and Syl at some point because the guards are average at best.

PostPosted: 07/14/21 8:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Recorded the game and will catch up later. But, I feel safe in saying that the sky is not falling.
Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 07/14/21 8:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
It’s too bad Paige, Azzi, and Clark weren’t ready for the Olympic round though…I’d rather them learning the ropes from Taurasi/Bird instead of Gray/Diggins.

Does this mean that if they were ready, you would have been happy with letting them jump the line?

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
tfan

PostPosted: 07/14/21 9:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades

PostPosted: 07/14/21 9:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nice MVP speech from Ogunbowale.
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/99L1u3lM7Bg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
bryan_february_

PostPosted: 07/14/21 9:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Excuse my language but that was fucking incredible. We got a real game with the best players in women's basketball.

PostPosted: 07/14/21 9:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The WNBA all star team was just really good man. Connecticut is a great defensive team…and their three top players are rightfully in this game. Jonquel is a really good defender. Brionna is really good. Bonner is elite. Laney is a great defender. Copper is a great defender. Parker is much better than many credit her for, Hamby is really good, Courtney Williams has a good motor, Sabally’s length is bothersome to offensive players…

You’ve got several of the best defenders in the sport going against an Olympic team. Unique type of matchup. That’s what made it so fun to watch. You could rightfully make arguments why some of the WNBA all-stars could instead be on the Olympic team. But as far as the team’s prospects in the Olympics, I wouldn’t overreact either.

How many of these games have there been? I think there was one at Radio City. I think I even attended it lol. But I don’t remember for sure. The league as a whole has so much more depth of talent than in the past. It makes it that much more likely that deserving players will not be included on the Olympic team.

Probably more of a sense of urgency from the WNBA team as well. But they sure had the right players to carry out a sense of urgency. The pace too. Was really, really high.

Last edited by NYL_WNBA_FAN on 07/14/21 10:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 07/14/21 10:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA has better guards, USAB has better posts. Wonder what would happened if the teams were flip-flopped.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 07/14/21 10:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
The WNBA all star team was just really good man. Connecticut is a great defensive team…and their three top players are rightfully in this game. Jonquel is a really good defender. Brionna is really good. Bonner is elite. Laney is a great defender. Copper is a great defender. Parker is much better than many credit her for, Hamby is really good, Courtney Williams has a good motor, Sabally’s length is bothersome to offensive players

Considering that she was named DPOY just last year, I feel like this may say more about the "many" than it does about Parker.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 07/14/21 10:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

Does this mean that if they were ready, you would have been happy with letting them jump the line?

Putting Bird and Taurasi aside on their sacred pedestals from discussion, Paige Bueckers, Caitlin Clark and Azzi Fudd are all better three-point shooters right now than any guard on the Olympic team. All three are better passers right now than Atkins or Loyd, and Bueckers and Clark are already at the assisting level of Diggins and near Gray.

However, I don't think any female, for a very long time, has been allowed to be "ready" for an Olympic team until graduating from college. Nancy Lieberman made it as a high schooler in 76. Cheryl Miller (USC) and Bridgette Gordon (UTenn) made it as collegians in 84 and 88. Maybe there was someone else.

If Bueckers and Clark keep it up their elite play for three more years of college, I would like to see both on the 2024 Olympic team. If Fudd lives up to her high school and USAB performances and hype, she may have an outside chance at SG in 2024 as a rising college senior. Breanna Stewart made the 2014 World Championship team as a rising college junior.

It was an excellent game.
pilight

PostPosted: 07/14/21 10:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
But as far as the team’s prospects in the Olympics, I wouldn’t overreact.

None of the teams at the Olympics will even be close to the talent Team WNBA had. Here are the confirmed rosters for Tokyo:

http://www.fiba.basketball/olympics/women/2020/news/roster-tracker-who-has-already-confirmed-their-lineup-for-the-tokyo-games

As for the two unconfirmed teams

Serbia will likely have the same roster that won EuroBasket a few weeks ago:

http://www.fiba.basketball/womenseurobasket/2021/team/Serbia#|tab=roster

Nigeria has been much talked about recently for desperately trying to get some US castoffs. Assuming FIBA's denial holds their roster will be similar to the one that won AfroBasket, except with Chiney and Erica Ogwumike replacing Evelyn Akhator and Elo Edeferioka:

http://www.fiba.basketball/womensafrobasket/2019/team/Nigeria#|tab=roster

If Team USA doesn't win gold, it will be a colossal upset

PostPosted: 07/14/21 10:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
WNBA has better guards, USAB has better posts. Wonder what would happened if the teams were flip-flopped.

WNBA didn't play one of their best posts, USAB didn't play one of their best guards. How much does that factor in?

PostPosted: 07/14/21 10:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
... Breanna Stewart made the 2014 World Championship team as a rising college junior.

I would question whether she "made" the team, or whether she was appointed, but I may be biased.

Milks26

PostPosted: 07/14/21 10:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Team WNBA

I see you Arike with your

That's what Team USA get - go with broke down - you get broken. Even though they'll probably survive the lympics.

Last edited by Milks26 on 07/14/21 11:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: