Sun
62%
 62%  [ 5 ]
Liberty
37%
 37%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 8

Shades

PostPosted: 07/10/21 12:25 pm    ::: Sun @ Liberty - 7/11/21 Reply Reply with quote

Cup records: CON 8-1 | NYL 5-4
New York, NY - 2:00 PM ET
TV: YES, NESN+, SN360

Video stream:
https://www.espn.com/watch/player/_/id/839221e2-1723-4fc6-a67c-94980f3b57f5#bucketId=1

League Pass:
https://leaguepass.wnba.com/game/sun-at-liberty-on-07112021

Game page:
https://www.wnba.com/game/20210711/CONNYL/

ESPN Gamecast:
https://www.espn.com/wnba/game/_/gameId/401320680

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 07/10/21 12:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 07/10/21 12:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Libs due to fly out of Indy in the morning. Hopefully this game will be rescheduled either later in the day or Monday.

PostPosted: 07/10/21 1:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The WNBA needs to postpone Sun at Liberty Sunday

https://deadspin.com/the-wnba-needs-to-postpone-suns-at-liberty-sunday-1847266364

PostPosted: 07/10/21 1:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Libs due to fly out of Indy in the morning. Hopefully this game will be rescheduled either later in the day or Monday.

If Barclay's is available Monday...

PostPosted: 07/10/21 2:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
The WNBA needs to postpone Sun at Liberty Sunday

https://deadspin.com/the-wnba-needs-to-postpone-suns-at-liberty-sunday-1847266364

Yes. It would be ridiculous to hold this game tomorrow.

PostPosted: 07/10/21 9:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It would be absolutely ridiculous, but you know it'll happen. We might have to round up some kids from Brooklyn College or LIU, but it'll happen.

PostPosted: 07/10/21 10:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
It would be absolutely ridiculous, but you know it'll happen. We might have to round up some kids from Brooklyn College or LIU, but it'll happen.

The WNBA Players Association's leaders should have the association take a stand and insist that the game not be played. If that can't happen, the Liberty players should refuse to play if the game is at 2:00 p.m.

PostPosted: 07/10/21 10:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Liberty got on a plane around 4:30. They arrived in NY early enough so that Laney and Didi could attend the Espys. Smile

We don't know anything about the plane. Did they find a last-minute commercial flight or did Tsai charter a plane? If so, did he have the league's permission or did he go rogue? Given that Tsai has spent years dealing with the totalitarian Chinese government, I doubt he went off half-cocked. He'd likely ask the league. If faced with a postponement or even a forfeit, the commissioner might decide it's better to make an exception -- knowing that NY already endured 3 straight days of delays ranging from 4 to 9 hours. To then ask them to fly in the next morning, and then play a 2 PM game would be really unreasonable. If nothing else, the optics would be bad.

PostPosted: 07/11/21 6:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
The Liberty got on a plane around 4:30. They arrived in NY early enough so that Laney and Didi could attend the Espys. Smile

We don't know anything about the plane. Did they find a last-minute commercial flight or did Tsai charter a plane? If so, did he have the league's permission or did he go rogue? Given that Tsai has spent years dealing with the totalitarian Chinese government, I doubt he went off half-cocked. He'd likely ask the league. If faced with a postponement or even a forfeit, the commissioner might decide it's better to make an exception -- knowing that NY already endured 3 straight days of delays ranging from 4 to 9 hours. To then ask them to fly in the next morning, and then play a 2 PM game would be really unreasonable. If nothing else, the optics would be bad.

Hard to tell what kind of plane it was, but Jazmine Jones tweet showed the players getting in their seats. Didn't look like a private jet to me.

Queenie

PostPosted: 07/11/21 8:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
Queenie wrote:

The WNBA Players Association's leaders should have the association take a stand and insist that the game not be played. If that can't happen, the Liberty players should refuse to play if the game is at 2:00 p.m.

As was pointed out, the team got in with enough time for players to attend or work the ESPYs. I don't think we're going to get any sympathy points from the rest of the league.

PostPosted: 07/11/21 11:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Perhaps of interest

PostPosted: 07/11/21 1:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

JT looked at some of Cappie's old hairdos to come up with this one.

myrtle

PostPosted: 07/11/21 1:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ok. NY, let J.Jones shoot every time down the floor and that will be the end of that game.

lynxmania

PostPosted: 07/11/21 1:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
ok. NY, let J.Jones shoot every time down the floor and that will be the end of that game.

I love that this works both ways. Let Jonquel or Jazmine and it’s games over. Laughing

lynxmania

PostPosted: 07/11/21 1:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Someone should tell Jazmine in between quarters that Briann January doesn’t play for the Liberty

myrtle

PostPosted: 07/11/21 1:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:
myrtle wrote:

I love that this works both ways. Let Jonquel or Jazmine and it’s games over. Laughing

exactly! Unfortunately for NY, the result is the same.

myrtle

PostPosted: 07/11/21 2:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

getting ugly...perhaps I should say uglier.

myrtle

PostPosted: 07/11/21 2:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

so two blowouts to start super Sunday. [yikes]

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 07/11/21 3:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm home. I didn't watch. It was obvious how this game would go.

Perhaps the Liberty would have lost to Indiana and Connecticut no matter what. These were not going to be easy games even under the best of circumstances. But the travel horrors and the WNBA's failure to adjust anything made these defeats certain.

I hope that Joe and Clara Tsai are angry and will do everything they can in the offseason to get the WNBA to be less bush league. No one can prevent weather crises. But the league can ensure the best possible travel options for players and can delay, cancel, and reschedule games when necessary. This should happen in 2022 for every WNBA team.

PostPosted: 07/11/21 4:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Man that was rough. Rough in terms of matchup. Rough in terms of the travel situation. I too had low expectations. Between the travel and just Connecticut is damn good.

Thomas, January and Bonner is just outstanding defensively. They don’t give your perimeter shooters any space. And forget driving by them. Even if you do Jones, Jones and Mompremier are assets defensively as well.

I know Shook had 16. But when the defense doesn’t guard you that’s what you should do. CT left any questionable shooters semi-open from 3 and guarded everyone else hard. Mixed in some traps too.

Howard will be a game changer on both ends. Let’s see what happens after the break. I’m still quite optimistic about their post-break prospects if they can get healthy.

Hopefully the 200-300K in offseason cap space will also be used to add depth that would make losses of Howard, Sabrina or Laney less taxing on the rest of the team. Hopefully Willoughby recovers from the torn Achilles because expectations were high for her as well in camp.

PostPosted: 07/11/21 7:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Streaky offense + pesky Sun defense = why is this my life

Did Jaz at least get an assist on that January three after the handoff? FFS.

It seemed pretty clear that Walt was going to let the kids run the show in the second half- I don't think Naj and Sabrina played that much.

Neah Odom was a solid wubble player. I... uh... don't think that's carrying over this year.

Jonquel Jones is ridiculous and I am jealous of any team that has her. Connecticut's defense was just so good. And ours was... leaving DeWanna Bonner and Jonquel Jones open for three a lot.

too many Joneses cannot cope (to which my husband's response was "So you're saying you can't keep up with the Joneses?", to which my response was "...get out.")

Postgame eats: Peaches HotHouse. Sweet Jesus, I have never had ribs that tender. I had to eat them with a fork because they fell off the bone. The same tenderness goes for the brisket.

PostPosted: 07/14/21 7:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Brionna Jones isn’t MIP this year they should do away with the award.

PostPosted: 07/14/21 8:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

She wasn’t good last year?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 07/14/21 8:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

Fair point. Maybe I’m overstating. Statistically her numbers per minute are similar. I just think her defense and presence have grown that much more. But yeah I’m probably overstating.

PostPosted: 07/14/21 11:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Shades wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

Fair point. Maybe I’m overstating. Statistically her numbers per minute are similar. I just think her defense and presence have grown that much more. But yeah I’m probably overstating.

Yes say the Mayberrys 😁

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: