RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Transfers/Injuries/Sit-Outs/Redshirts 2021-22
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33, 34  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Durantula

PostPosted: 05/15/22 1:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PG4ever wrote:
Howee wrote:
PG4ever wrote:
HomerCecil wrote:
Brenda Frese downplays high-profile transfers, restocks Maryland's roster
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2022/05/13/maryland-womens-basketball-transfers-brenda-frese/

Yikes, is this GPA mention necessary:
“None of this caught us off guard,” Frese said in an April interview. “We saw this coming through the season. We knew we were going to be portaling this offseason.

“Unfortunately nowadays you can't make everyone happy. And I'll say everybody has different individual reasons, right? One might want to be marketed better than the other or be the leading scorer or academically, Mimi wanted to get into grad school here and didn't have the GPA to get in. So I think every kid has different reasons.”

Seems like that comment would be a violation of FERPA.

Mnah. Yeah, she coulda been more circumspect ("She wanted to seek out other grad school options"), but it's not like she's telling her specific gpa, etc. I'd say that's no more revealing than a coach announcing that a player is benched for academic reasons: the implication is obvious.

Brenda is Brenda....she goes with the flow, and I have no doubt she'd prefer a class of kids that 'grew' into a tight team, but.....this is more the norm than ever, these days. She rolls with what she's got, and is perennially at/near the top of a P5.

Frese may not have mentioned the specific GPA but if people know, for example, that it takes a 3.0 to get into grad school at Maryland then Frese just told the whole world that Mimi's GPA is below a 3.0. I think Frese is a really good coach but that was bush league (IMHO) and if not considered an outright violation of FERPA, I hope she was at least reprimanded.

Grad school usually isn't that cut and dry, I don't think you can take anything about the GPA and imply its bad just because she said she didn't get in. She didn't get into grad school so she's leaving this happens all the time, there is a reason why even amongst non athletes many people go to different grad school than undergrad, some is by choice but some have no choice they weren't admitted. Its not bad its only bad if you have some thought that being rejected by a program is bad. Newsflash, very smart students get rejected by schools all the time! You can have 3.5 GPA Deans list and get rejected if its a good program.

Also I routinely see programs point out which of their players got some academic honors for the semester, which likely has some 3.0 or better cut-off so by that same token don't we also know who had under 3.0 by seeing who isn't listed? is that bad too? This is a little much.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 05/15/22 3:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
PG4ever wrote:
HomerCecil wrote:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2022/05/13/maryland-womens-basketball-transfers-brenda-frese/

“None of this caught us off guard,” Frese said in an April interview. “We saw this coming through the season. We knew we were going to be portaling this offseason.

“Unfortunately nowadays you can't make everyone happy. And I'll say everybody has different individual reasons, right? One might want to be marketed better than the other or be the leading scorer or academically, Mimi wanted to get into grad school here and didn't have the GPA to get in. So I think every kid has different reasons.”

Mnah. Yeah, she coulda been more circumspect ("She wanted to seek out other grad school options"), but it's not like she's telling her specific gpa, etc. I'd say that's no more revealing than a coach announcing that a player is benched for academic reasons: the implication is obvious.

Brenda is Brenda....she goes with the flow, and I have no doubt she'd prefer a class of kids that 'grew' into a tight team, but.....this is more the norm than ever, these days. She rolls with what she's got, and is perennially at/near the top of a P5.

Or maybe it wasn't that low, it just might have been below the cutoff for that particular program. (I grew up "inder the desk" at several universities so I know whereof I speak) Some programs have higher requirements than others, or fewer openings in any given year, so even though Brenda's comment was completely out of line, uncalled for, and classless, it could still not be a knock on Mimi. Brenda should have kept her damn mouth shut, either way. She is not doing herself any favors, and it is not a good look.

PostPosted: 05/15/22 3:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
PG4ever wrote:
Howee wrote:
PG4ever wrote:
HomerCecil wrote:

Frese may not have mentioned the specific GPA but if people know, for example, that it takes a 3.0 to get into grad school at Maryland then Frese just told the whole world that Mimi's GPA is below a 3.0. I think Frese is a really good coach but that was bush league (IMHO) and if not considered an outright violation of FERPA, I hope she was at least reprimanded.

Grad school usually isn't that cut and dry, I don't think you can take anything about the GPA and imply its bad just because she said she didn't get in. She didn't get into grad school so she's leaving this happens all the time, there is a reason why even amongst non athletes many people go to different grad school than undergrad, some is by choice but some have no choice they weren't admitted. Its not bad its only bad if you have some thought that being rejected by a program is bad. Newsflash, very smart students get rejected by schools all the time! You can have 3.5 GPA Deans list and get rejected if its a good program.

Also I routinely see programs point out which of their players got some academic honors for the semester, which likely has some 3.0 or better cut-off so by that same token don't we also know who had under 3.0 by seeing who isn't listed? is that bad too? This is a little much.

I have two grad degrees--one from the University of Michigan--so having been through the application process, I understand that it takes more than a particular GPA to get accepted. Frese was quoted as saying Mimi didn't have the GPA to get in. Maryland's website says a 3.0 undergrad GPA is required to get into grad school. That to me is cut and dry. If Frese had kept it general and said Mimi didn't get in (which could have been for a whole host of reasons even if, say, the student had a 4.0 GPA) that would be one thing but she said Mimi didn't get in because she didn't have the GPA. Also, the university acknowledging honors based on a high GPA is not the same as a coach telling the world a student athlete didn't have a good enough GPA to get into grad school. I don't think this is a little much but we're all entitled to an opinion.Smile

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 05/15/22 7:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

All Brenda had to say was Mimi wanted to stay here but ultimately decided grad school elsewhere was a better fit. Then it would be clear that Mimi wasn't transferring just to leave the MD team, and her GPA isn't dragged through the mud. Simple, really.

Howee

PostPosted: 05/15/22 8:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
All Brenda had to say was Mimi wanted to stay here but ultimately decided grad school elsewhere was a better fit. Then it would be clear that Mimi wasn't transferring just to leave the MD team, and her GPA isn't dragged through the mud. Simple, really.

....and is ANYONE dragging her GPA through the mud except for possibly Rebkellians?? Laughing

I mean, I do NOT follow social media, so if her GPA news has gone viral, then forgive my naivete, but ..... there's such a thing as inventing a problem where none really exists.

PostPosted: 05/16/22 9:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

....and is ANYONE dragging her GPA through the mud except for possibly Rebkellians?? Laughing

I mean, I do NOT follow social media, so if her GPA news has gone viral, then forgive my naivete, but ..... there's such a thing as inventing a problem where none really exists.

Howee, it was in the Washington Post, and probably other places too, so yeah.

PostPosted: 05/16/22 12:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If TVD came out publicly and said so and so didn't have the grades to get into Stanford, that's considerably different than internet talk.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 05/16/22 12:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

River Baldwin (6'5 C) from Florida State to NC State. She will be a senior and is a nice replacement for Elissa Cunane.
https://gopack.com/news/2022/5/13/womens-basketball-nc-state-womens-basketball-adds-transfer-river-baldwin-to-roster.aspx

Keslynn Oxendine, 5'8 G, from TAMU to Utah State, with 3 years of eligibility remaining.
https://utahstateaggies.com/news/2022/5/12/womens-basketball-utah-state-womens-basketball-signs-keslynn-oxendine.aspx

Rice has acquired Fatou Samb, a 6'4 C transferring from Cal with 3 years of eligibility left.
https://riceowls.com/news/2022/5/12/womens-basketball-wbb-announces-addition-of-fatou-samb.aspx

PostPosted: 05/16/22 12:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LitePal wrote:
If TVD came out publicly and said so and so didn't have the grades to get into Stanford, that's considerably different than internet talk.

I think she has used the words 'didn't academically qualify'...which means the same thing.

LitePal

PostPosted: 05/16/22 5:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="myrtle"][quote="LitePal"]If TVD came out publicly and said so and so didn't have the grades to get into Stanford, that's considerably different than internet talk.[/quote]

I think she has used the words 'didn't academically qualify'...which means the same thing.[/quote]

Really? Do you have some links? That is interesting.

Howee

PostPosted: 05/16/22 7:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LitePal wrote:
Really? Do you have some links? That is interesting.

I'm not digging up any links, but IIRC, the Paris twins might have been in that category, and I'm positive Danielle Robinson was also not qualified for a scholarship to The Farm. They were all NorCal kids; Stanford's loss was Oklahoma's gain.

PostPosted: 05/16/22 11:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

Depends on whether we believe that the name on this Twitter account is accurateL https://twitter.com/derwin_collins/with_replies

Durantula wrote:
PG4ever wrote:
Howee wrote:
PG4ever wrote:
HomerCecil wrote:

I have wondered about that. The ACC honor roll is a 3.0 cutoff and given grade inflation, the number of honorees at some schools has gotten very high to the point where in some sports, it might be a little embarrassing for the athletes to have not been able to get to that GPA.
Durantula

PostPosted: 05/17/22 6:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PG4ever wrote:
Durantula wrote:
PG4ever wrote:
Howee wrote:
PG4ever wrote:
HomerCecil wrote:

I have two grad degrees--one from the University of Michigan--so having been through the application process, I understand that it takes more than a particular GPA to get accepted. Frese was quoted as saying Mimi didn't have the GPA to get in. Maryland's website says a 3.0 undergrad GPA is required to get into grad school. That to me is cut and dry. If Frese had kept it general and said Mimi didn't get in (which could have been for a whole host of reasons even if, say, the student had a 4.0 GPA) that would be one thing but she said Mimi didn't get in because she didn't have the GPA. Also, the university acknowledging honors based on a high GPA is not the same as a coach telling the world a student athlete didn't have a good enough GPA to get into grad school. I don't think this is a little much but we're all entitled to an opinion.Smile

Its not cut and dry though because she could meet some 3.0 threshold for grad school but not meet the higher threshold for the particular program so no one knows her GPA.

And the university isn't the one acknowledging the honors its the women's basketball programs on social media. Like awhom111 said above at some schools so many players are on this honor that then its at the same time telling you who didn't do well academically so that actually tells you more about someone's GPA cutoff than not getting into grad school.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 05/17/22 9:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why is any of this information deemed necessary to be released to the general public? An individual's grades/GPA should be private except for the team's academic coordinator and coach who need to know.

That Twitter account purporting to be Mimi's father has said "Hello everyone we have responded to Brenda and everyone with our attorney. For the record it's a lot of lies from Brenda"

Howee

PostPosted: 05/17/22 1:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
Why is any of this information deemed necessary to be released to the general public? An individual's grades/GPA should be private except for the team's academic coordinator and coach who need to know.

That Twitter account purporting to be Mimi's father has said "Hello everyone we have responded to Brenda and everyone with our attorney. For the record it's a lot of lies from Brenda"

Well, God bless 'em, IF they have a case. Brenda definitely didn't need to 'go there', in explaining things. But I still don't understand how what she said is any different from announcing a player has made the Honor Roll (and 7 others DIDN'T), or someone is benched for unsatisfactory grades, or another kid didn't qualify academically for Stanford, Duke, etc. Might it not make MORE sense for a kid like Mimi to set the record straight, and explain why she DID choose to transfer?

PostPosted: 05/17/22 3:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

Well, God bless 'em, IF they have a case. Brenda definitely didn't need to 'go there', in explaining things. But I still don't understand how what she said is any different from announcing a player has made the Honor Roll (and 7 others DIDN'T), or someone is benched for unsatisfactory grades, or another kid didn't qualify academically for Stanford, Duke, etc. Might it not make MORE sense for a kid like Mimi to set the record straight, and explain why she DID choose to transfer?

And if Mimi's reason was that she didn't like Brenda? Maybe Mimi believes that if you can't say anything nice, don't say it at all. Bad-mouthing a former coach isn't likely to endear her to prospective new ones.

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 05/17/22 3:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:

But this is assuming Brenda is telling the truth. If it was a lie - if Mimi actually chose a different Grad program independently of her academic performance at Maryland - it could definitely apply as slander and/or defamation. Even if Brenda knew she WOULDN'T have gotten in at MD based on her grades, it's still considered speculation. Unless she actually applied and was rejected there is base for legal action here (I think).

PostPosted: 05/18/22 2:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We are such a lawsuit happy country it's really pathetic. How much money is wasted on petty lawsuits? It must be a huge number.

Personal experience: A guy claimed he fell on my porch and somehow it was my fault so sued me for $500,000. In fact, I don't even know if he fell on my porch as I was not home. We won, but my insurance company had to spend a lot of money to defend it and the only ones who made money were the lawyers on both sides.

Defamation lawsuits are generally even more ridiculous. Don't like something, sue 'em.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 05/18/22 2:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
We are such a lawsuit happy country it's really pathetic. How much money is wasted on petty lawsuits? It must be a huge number.

Personal experience: A guy claimed he fell on my porch and somehow it was my fault so sued me for $500,000. In fact, I don't even know if he fell on my porch as I was not home. We won, but my insurance company had to spend a lot of money to defend it and the only ones who made money were the lawyers on both sides.

Defamation lawsuits are generally even more ridiculous. Don't like something, sue 'em.

Right now the top story by number of social media posts is not Elon Musk, Biden, the war in Ukraine, COVID, or inflation...it's the Depp-Heard defamation trial.

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 05/18/22 9:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FWIW I’m not saying I would or think they should sue. Just that they probably could.

PostPosted: 05/21/22 1:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FWIW, I graduated cum laude from a different MD school and could not get into a grad program at Maryland. There is so much that goes into acceptance and I don't know what kept me from being accepted. I ended up working with my dream professor somewhere else, so it all worked out in the end.

I agree, I wish Brenda hadn't blasted that info about Collins, not a good look at all.

GEF34

PostPosted: 05/21/22 10:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
Howee wrote:

But this is assuming Brenda is telling the truth. If it was a lie - if Mimi actually chose a different Grad program independently of her academic performance at Maryland - it could definitely apply as slander and/or defamation. Even if Brenda knew she WOULDN'T have gotten in at MD based on her grades, it's still considered speculation. Unless she actually applied and was rejected there is base for legal action here (I think).

If it's already public knowledge that she has a gpa less than 3.0 and she didn't give out an exact number is there still a base for legal action?

okstateguy

PostPosted: 05/22/22 12:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Back to talking about transfers not already committed, Sonya Morris to Texas

https://twitter.com/_sonyaann/status/1527739774114611201

PostPosted: 05/22/22 10:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
PickledGinger wrote:
Howee wrote:

If it's already public knowledge that she has a gpa less than 3.0 and she didn't give out an exact number is there still a base for legal action?

It isn't necessarily. I think Brenda was just talking out her *** the way she sometimes does because she was mad Mimi was leaving. There are tons of other reasons a person may not get into a particular grad program besides grades (How do I know this? I was raised "under the desk" in academia.) and grades are only part of it. Some programs are more selective than others and have a limited number of spots available. Bottom line is that Brenda is a popoff and only hard-core Terp fans will disagree.

PostPosted: 05/22/22 3:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
PickledGinger wrote:
Howee wrote:

It isn't necessarily. I think Brenda was just talking out her *** the way she sometimes does because she was mad Mimi was leaving. There are tons of other reasons a person may not get into a particular grad program besides grades (How do I know this? I was raised "under the desk" in academia.) and grades are only part of it. Some programs are more selective than others and have a limited number of spots available. Bottom line is that Brenda is a popoff and only hard-core Terp fans will disagree.

This is from an article the Big Ten publish, so it's pretty public. Sure there are other reasons that could play into a role in to there a person gets into a school or not, but I'm not questioning whether or not there could be other reason, I specifically asked about if she is speaking about something that is general public knowledge is there still grounds for legal action.

Quote:
To be eligible for Academic All-Big Ten selection, students must be on a varsity team (as verified by being on the official squad list), have been enrolled full time at the institution for a minimum of 12 months and carry a cumulative grade-point average of 3.0 or higher.

https://bigten.org/news/2022/3/23/general-big-ten-announces-winter-academic-all-big-ten-honorees.aspx

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33, 34  Next
Page 32 of 34

Jump to: