RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Name, Image, Likeness
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael

PostPosted: 07/12/21 7:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
ClayK wrote:
I don't see how boosters can be banned. If a car dealership owner in Alabama wants the offensive line to endorse this dealership, how is that different from a Nike shoe deal?

And if a dentist wants to give a top high school basketball recruit (JuJu Watkins, say, out of L.A.) $20,000 to endorse his practice if she goes to UCLA, I don't see how that's illegal? (And how many boosters would love to have that kind of personal connection to a player?)

Offering $$$ and making it contingent on going to the boosters school? Isn't that what happens now? I suppose it will continue to be done and will still be against NCAA rules.

IF said booster says that you MAY be able to get this money if you go to good old ZU would be fringing the rules and not be a violation, just the same way IU Mens players for decades under Knight were told if they graduated from IU there MIGHT be a lifetime employment at a mostly no show job for them....... The fact that boosters are now able to say they pay every player on a team at ZU a $5000/month stipend and have it advertised pretty much destroys the NCAA's ability to stop pay for play..... I seriously believe we are witnessing the beginning of the end times for NCAA athletics and I don't know what will happen after the crash, but I expect it will be ugly.

PostPosted: 07/12/21 9:42 am    ::: Re: Name, Image, Likeness Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Should we expect any WCBB player to make any real money next year?

Buekers and Clark seem the obvious choices.

Hailey Van Lith has a huge social media following. I think Azzi Fudd’s is pretty large too.

In fact, of college athletes 9 of the top 10 of the biggest social media following were women (Hailey and Paige being the biggest) I’m really excited about this, as I think it’ll be a great equalizer for women’s sports..and it’ll help maintain the popularity from college to the pros.

PostPosted: 07/15/21 9:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have seen it stated many times in multiple places that this is good as now they can earn money while in school just like "regular" students. It has also been stated that they will learn valuable life lessons in how to manage their money as well. Well, all of that is true. However, they aren't learning about having expenses. "Regular" students have to pay for tuition, room & board, parking expenses, gym memberships, tutors, private trainers, any travel they do, etc plus they don't have special meals prepared for them, charter flights/bus trips, thousands of dollars of gear given to them every year, etc. Now that student=athletes are free to earn money on top of all that the scholarship covers, why shouldn't they have to pay expenses like the "regular" students?

Hoopsmom

PostPosted: 07/15/21 10:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

99% of the women’s players will not make much, if any, money off of NIL. But they do have jobs. They work at basketball. They work their asses off, sometimes four to six hours a day in the summer, all summer long. They get a 2-1/2 week break in May, and a two week break at the end of July / beginning of August. When they get back in August, until the end of March, they will be putting in many hours a day, between lifts, physical training, and basketball practice, plus team meetings. This is in addition to their class work, where they have some pretty darn good grade point averages in tough classes. My daughter competes with and against many girls who are future doctors, nurses, accountants, therapists, and teachers. These girls gave up a lot of their youth, middle school and high school years, to get where they are. You might not like it, but they have earned it. They have earned the right to have their scholarships paid, to have somebody create and cook game day meals, to drive them to the airport to take them on a road trip. They are using the talents that God gave them, But they also had to put in the work. A lot of hard work.

As a comparison, my son is in the army. He worked really hard at both the physical and mental parts of basic training, AIT, and an advanced training class, and graduated at or near the top of all 3. When we went to his graduation, there were people in the stands complaining about the time their soldier has to be committed to the army. But that was their choice, and the Army does provide everything they need. My son has a very tough mental job, but he works really hard to do his best to protect our country. He has a year of college left, and the Army will pay for it, including his living expenses. He worked hard to earn it, the same as his sister working hard to earn her basketball scholarship.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 07/15/21 10:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoopsmom wrote:
99% of the women’s players will not make much, if any, money off of NIL. But they do have jobs. They work at basketball. They work their asses off, sometimes four to six hours a day in the summer, all summer long. They get a 2-1/2 week break in May, and a two week break at the end of July / beginning of August. When they get back in August, until the end of March, they will be putting in many hours a day, between lifts, physical training, and basketball practice, plus team meetings. This is in addition to their class work, where they have some pretty darn good grade point averages in tough classes. My daughter competes with and against many girls who are future doctors, nurses, accountants, therapists, and teachers. These girls gave up a lot of their youth, middle school and high school years, to get where they are. You might not like it, but they have earned it. They have earned the right to have their scholarships paid, to have somebody create and cook game day meals, to drive them to the airport to take them on a road trip. They are using the talents that God gave them, But they also had to put in the work. A lot of hard work.

As a comparison, my son is in the army. He worked really hard at both the physical and mental parts of basic training, AIT, and an advanced training class, and graduated at or near the top of all 3. When we went to his graduation, there were people in the stands complaining about the time their soldier has to be committed to the army. But that was their choice, and the Army does provide everything they need. My son has a very tough mental job, but he works really hard to do his best to protect our country. He has a year of college left, and the Army will pay for it, including his living expenses. He worked hard to earn it, the same as his sister working hard to earn her basketball scholarship.

I get all of that (was a coach for a long time). That's why the full scholarship is such a great thing because they got "paid" for all those hours by getting a college degree and graduating free from debt, which put them way, way ahead of the vast majority of students. In addition to the free degree, they get free tutors, free meals, free travel, free gear, free use of athletic facilities, trainers at no cost, etc. I say free because it doesn't cost them out of pocket, but they certainly put in a lot of time on their sport and that is how they get paid. But now that getting a $125,000+ education at no cost along with a monthly stipend is not enough and they can earn money on top of that, maybe they need to also incur some of the expenses?

And I get what you're saying, but the rules were changed for all, not just the few that may be able to capitalize on them.

Howee

PostPosted: 07/15/21 9:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
... I seriously believe we are witnessing the beginning of the end times for NCAA athletics and I don't know what will happen after the crash, but I expect it will be ugly.

I hear your fear, but.....it may not be all that.

My concern is how (the lust for) money inevitably brings negative consequences.

PostPosted: 07/20/21 4:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"Book Paige Bueckers For Your Next Event"

https://www.athletespeakers.com/speaker/paige-bueckers
Michael

PostPosted: 07/28/21 9:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Michael wrote:
... I seriously believe we are witnessing the beginning of the end times for NCAA athletics and I don't know what will happen after the crash, but I expect it will be ugly.

Alabama's starting QB has already inked over $1,000,000.00 in deals and the whole Miami Football team is getting a monthly stipend for their NIL. This time next year, it will be so bad the old Alabama handshake line will look like pocket change in comparison.

PostPosted: 12/25/21 9:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wyoming football coach puts out want ad for a QB.
Quote:
Someday very soon, statements like the one released by Wyoming head coach Craig Bohl on Friday won't seem noteworthy. Just another press release in a long of line them throughout the college football offseason and into the spring.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ftw/2021/12/24/wyoming-pitch-transfer-players-rare-moment-honesty-college-football/49568479/

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
mzonefan

PostPosted: 12/25/21 4:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’ve seen a lot of good stuff coming out of NIL, too, including football players donating thousands to children’s hospitals, donating turkeys for Thanksgiving meals, etc..

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 01/07/22 8:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oklahoma QB offered $1,000,000 to transfer to Eastern Michigan.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/mac/2022/01/06/caleb-williams-one-million-dollar-nil-offer-eastern-michigan/9124475002/

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
PUmatty

PostPosted: 04/23/22 4:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In case anyone is wondering about pay to play arrangements for players when selection schools ...

K-State men's guard Nigel Pack was considering OSU, Purdue and Miami for a transfer destination. He announced today that he chose Miami.

At the same time, this was announced: https://twitter.com/JohnHRuiz/status/1517947722086686720

An $800,000 two-year contract from something called LifeWallet. Just some natural connection between the player and the product, right? Nope. LifeWallet owner John Ruiz has previously announced he is setting up millions in deals for athletes at two schools: Miami and FIU.

So, go to Purdue or Ohio State, probably get some sort of deal of some sort eventually. Go to Miami, immediately get a contract for almost a million bucks.

That's our new world of college athletics.

Hoopsmom

PostPosted: 04/23/22 6:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Which is probably why the Cavinder twins just announced that they are going to Miami, from Fresno State.

linkster

PostPosted: 04/25/22 8:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
Howee wrote:
Michael wrote:

Alabama's starting QB has already inked over $1,000,000.00 in deals and the whole Miami Football team is getting a monthly stipend for their NIL. This time next year, it will be so bad the old Alabama handshake line will look like pocket change in comparison.

The only change is that that the boosters and players' agents don't have to meet in a parking lot and use only cash.

MsProudSooner

PostPosted: 04/29/22 3:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The boosters for some of these schools are forking over huge sums of money. What happens when their team doesn't win a NC or the player they are paying for decides he wants to transfer or gets suspended?

PUmatty

PostPosted: 04/29/22 4:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

More on the brave new world playing out in Miami. After Nigel Pack transferred in for an $800,000 payment (plus a car), their current player Isaiah Wong has announced he will transfer he doesn't get more money to stay.

Oh, and Pack and Wang have the same agent.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/columnist/dan-wolken/2022/04/29/isaiah-wong-holding-miami-booster-hostage-because-nijel-pack-deal/9584410002/

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 04/29/22 5:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
More on the brave new world playing out in Miami. After Nigel Pack transferred in for an $800,000 payment (plus a car), their current player Isaiah Wong has announced he will transfer he doesn't get more money to stay.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/columnist/dan-wolken/2022/04/29/isaiah-wong-holding-miami-booster-hostage-because-nijel-pack-deal/9584410002/

I saw that article. Good times...

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/29/22 8:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:

Did the agent put Wong up to it? More money for his client means more money for the agent.

Would be funny if the booster/school doesn't come up with the same deal, some piddly little deal, or no deal at all. And no other school wants to be dealing with an agent or player that would make an ultimatum like this.

Is Wong a good enough player that another power 5 school would take him, baggage and all?

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/30/22 11:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

Did the agent put Wong up to it? More money for his client means more money for the agent.

Would be funny if the booster/school doesn't come up with the same deal, some piddly little deal, or no deal at all. And no other school wants to be dealing with an agent or player that would make an ultimatum like this.

Is Wong a good enough player that another power 5 school would take him, baggage and all?

If y'all are going to talk about guys on this thread, why don't you move the thread. Otherwise, let's please stick to women's basketball players.

PostPosted: 10/04/22 5:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Of the the three NIL companies I've found active at UGA, two are football oriented and one is open to other sports. I'm seeing lots of ladies in the various sports hopping on the NIL band. For UGA WBB:

NIL Company "Classic City Collective" has signed Kari Niblack, Brittney Smith and Diamond Battles.

NIL is still in the wild west phase in terms of agreements/laws...

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/10/22 6:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tara VanDerveer is pissed off that LSU gymnast Olivia Dunne has leveraged her 8 million combined TikTok and Instagram followers into a $2million+ NIL annual income - the highest NIL earner in all of college sports. Tara was the most prominant person interviewed for a NYT article ripping the NIL system for sexism and racism. It's basically a rehash of the criticisms leveled at Anna Kournikova years ago when she was the highest earning tennis player in the world without winning a single major tournament.

These women athletes who have no chance of earning this kind of money through pro salaries are leveraging their social media fame to get rich. I say good for them.

Good article on the subject at https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11405897/Gymnast-earning-2m-year-endorsements-posting-sexy-pics-slammed-leading-coach.html

Dunne's retort to the NYT "@NYT is this too much?

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 11/11/22 12:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Tara VanDerveer is pissed off that LSU gymnast Olivia Dunne has leveraged her 8 million combined TikTok and Instagram followers into a $2million+ NIL annual income - the highest NIL earner in all of college sports.

Interesting. I don't understand why you have to be a college athlete to get these deals for hawking products with sexy photos. Couldn't anyone who gets big social media followings somehow get deals? I mean, who, other than some sports cognoscenti, ever heard of this LSU gymnast or the Cavinder twins apart from their sexy photos on social media.

I don't understand Tara's point, unless she is arguing for a communistic redistribution of NIL income from the earners to the non-earners or to the schools.
pilight

PostPosted: 11/11/22 8:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She's going to be objectified regardless, she might as well get paid for it

PostPosted: 11/12/22 2:43 pm    ::: NIL vs Social Media Influencers and Personalities Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Tara VanDerveer is pissed off that LSU gymnast Olivia Dunne has leveraged her 8 million combined TikTok and Instagram followers into a $2million+ NIL annual income - the highest NIL earner in all of college sports.

Interesting. I don't understand why you have to be a college athlete to get these deals for hawking products with sexy photos. Couldn't anyone who gets big social media followings somehow get deals? I mean, who, other than some sports cognoscenti, ever heard of this LSU gymnast or the Cavinder twins apart from their sexy photos on social media.

I don't understand Tara's point, unless she is arguing for a communistic redistribution of NIL income from the earners to the non-earners or to the schools.

I think that we should keep in mind that generating revenue for NIL as an athlete is not the same as generating revenue from a social media following as an influencer, although since 2021 there has been a greater confluence between the two as the solution to the inequalities in a capitalistic society is to remedy it with capital from those that can leverage it.

NIL arose predominantly out of the unauthorized use by the Gaming Industry of athletic personalities for profit. Of course, I'm speaking about marketable personalities. In other words, the sexy girls and five star quarterbacks. Before NIL, athletes couldn't generate revenue from Instagram and social media. Now, anything goes that is related to your Brand.

But let's be honest about this trend. It will lead to greater inequities in collegiate sports. Paige Bueckers is out another year due to injury but is still earning over a million dollars in NIL. She bought her teammates new shoes. CJ Stroud also makes over a million in NIL and drives a Bentley. He gifted all 100 teammates with new suits so they can look dapper on Saturdays. Olivia Dunne would have you believe that she is a role model for young girls to aspire to and that her LSU uniform is as far as she bends her modesty.

Here's a truism. Pretty, sexy, white girls will always prevail over their ugly duckling sisterhood even when the sisterhood is more talented. That concept is what NIL will sustain. Tara knows that NIL will create serious inequalities in the Game because it does nothing to promote equitable fairness in its application.

PostPosted: 11/12/22 5:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Am I the only one who's uncomfortable with the concept that the NCAA and college athletic programs are now handing young women an opportunity to exploit their bodies for cash, largely serving the personal needs of middle-aged men? Maybe the female athletes should just cut out the agents and contracts and set up OnlyFans accounts. Everyone here slammed Liz Cambage for doing that, even though she was a spokesperson for a plus-size lingerie company and a critic of body-shaming of larger women.

Most of the men with NIL deals are average to above average at best in looks and don't rely on photos of themselves in their underwear to get deals.

Maybe the real message is that after thousands of years, women still have to sell their bodies, albeit in digital form, while men sell their talents for money.

I can understand why Tara is unhappy.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: