RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Name, Image, Likeness
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PUmatty

PostPosted: 06/30/21 9:14 pm    ::: Name, Image, Likeness Reply Reply with quote

Should we expect any WCBB player to make any real money next year?

Buekers and Clark seem the obvious choices.

pilight

PostPosted: 06/30/21 9:20 pm    ::: Re: Name, Image, Likeness Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:

It's just a matter of time until some female athlete uses her NCAA notoriety to start an Only Fans. Then we'll see all kinds of restrictions.

PostPosted: 06/30/21 9:49 pm    ::: Re: Name, Image, Likeness Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

Bueckers and Clark seem the obvious choices.

It's just a matter of time until some female athlete uses her NCAA notoriety to start an OnlyFans. Then we'll see all kinds of restrictions.

Oh my god, you're absolutely right, gooooood graaaavyyyy. Shocked Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Gamecock1

PostPosted: 07/01/21 7:09 am    ::: Re: Name, Image, Likeness Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:

This will be more on a local level than a national level. This will be local car dealerships and things of that nature. The national market for college players will be very limited to the elite players in a national market and the women will be on the minor end of that avenue. It's just what the market requires as of now even in the professional ranks. I would imagine it won't change for the college game.

ucbart

PostPosted: 07/01/21 8:01 am    ::: Re: Name, Image, Likeness Reply Reply with quote

Gamecock1 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

This will be more on a local level than a national level. This will be local car dealerships and things of that nature. The national market for college players will be very limited to the elite players in a national market and the women will be on the minor end of that avenue. It's just what the market requires as of now even in the professional ranks. I would imagine it won't change for the college game.

I think where they will make the most money is off their social media. I saw a thing last year where Paige, before she even played a college game, was worth the most money(digitally) in college athletics, because of her social media presence. The person behind her was Trevor Lawerence, just to put it into perspective.

I actually think the two biggest money makers in that realm, which is HUGE in the Gen Z world, will be Paige and Hailey VanLith. They're already blue checkmark influencers, but now they'll get paid for it. And they will get paid a lot.

Now, can Azzi, who has a long history with Under Armour get a shoe deal with them, even though UCONN is a Nike school? I have so many questions.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 07/01/21 9:26 am    ::: Re: Name, Image, Likeness Reply Reply with quote

I guess I am also wondering about pay-to-play. Will any team have a booster that will pony up for a players likeness if she agrees to a certain school or to transfer?

If I was filthy rich and wanted turn around Purdue's fortunes by, say, giving $250,000 each to Clark, Boston, and Haley Jones, would it work?

lynxmania

PostPosted: 07/01/21 9:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hanna and Haley Cavinder now spokeswomen for Boost Mobile

Gamecock1

PostPosted: 07/01/21 10:19 am    ::: Re: Name, Image, Likeness Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Gamecock1 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

I think where they will make the most money is off their social media. I saw a thing last year where Paige, before she even played a college game, was worth the most money(digitally) in college athletics, because of her social media presence. The person behind her was Trevor Lawerence, just to put it into perspective.

I actually think the two biggest money makers in that realm, which is HUGE in the Gen Z world, will be Paige and Hailey VanLith. They're already blue checkmark influencers, but now they'll get paid for it. And they will get paid a lot.

Now, can Azzi, who has a long history with Under Armour get a shoe deal with them, even though UCONN is a Nike school? I have so many questions.
That could very well be their largest revenue stream...but most of these kids are not going to generate money in a way that some think. The high profile players will be at a huge advantage and that could create some problems with team chemistry.....I am not sure this is going to be positive with the exception of the few kids that will really reap the benefits. In the professional ranks most all players are making "good" money even if some make much more. This is a different situation all together. You could have some players making little to nothing. It will be interesting to see how it plays out for sure.

Hoopsmom

PostPosted: 07/01/21 10:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa-nil-fresno-state-cavinder-twins-boost-mobile-endorsement-female-athletes-benefit-103459408.html

The Cavinder twins have jumped right in, as expected...

ucbart

PostPosted: 07/01/21 4:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoopsmom wrote:
https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa-nil-fresno-state-cavinder-twins-boost-mobile-endorsement-female-athletes-benefit-103459408.html

They're already on a billboard in Times Square.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 07/01/21 6:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As NIL era begins, Paige Bueckers is primed to reap the benefits

Quote:
In Connecticut, Bueckers will likely be bombarded by big local companies with deep pockets looking for her to promote their cars, restaurants, or products. That makes sense, of course — she’s the most popular player on the most popular team in the state. And while there’s certainly plenty of money to be made for Bueckers just within the Connecticut state lines, she already has a strong national following.

Before the NCAA Tournament started in March, Front Office Sports estimated that Bueckers could earn nearly $400,000 from her Instagram alone, and now Bueckers has amassed another 100,000 followers in that span. Andy Wittry, who writes the college athletics newsletter Out of Bounds on Substack, used a formula created by a consulting firm and got a higher estimate of $548,000.
PUmatty

PostPosted: 07/02/21 9:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Can someone explain to me, an old person, how an Instagram is worth money?

undersized_post

PostPosted: 07/02/21 11:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Can someone explain to me, an old person, how an Instagram is worth money?

If you have a lot of "followers" (other people with instagram accounts who subscribe to your page with the intent of regularly looking at the photos and such you post), you will be lucrative to sponsors who will pay you to feature their products in your instagram posts. So the more followers you have, the more valuable your page is to potential sponsors/advertisers, aka the more you could earn.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 07/02/21 1:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

At least one HBCU male player has signed with a hair product company. Maybe a Black female player, HBCU or not, will do the same.

PostPosted: 07/02/21 3:01 pm    ::: Re: Name, Image, Likeness Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
I guess I am also wondering about pay-to-play. Will any team have a booster that will pony up for a players likeness if she agrees to a certain school or to transfer?

If I was filthy rich and wanted turn around Purdue's fortunes by, say, giving $250,000 each to Clark, Boston, and Haley Jones, would it work?

I don't think boosters are allowed to get involved with NIL. Of course boosters aren't exactly known for following rules.

One possible benefit from NIL would be a reduction in the influence boosters have on recruits/players. They will still have the phone number of the AD but maybe some kids and their families will be less likely to grab at a pile of cash and committing to a school knowing that other opportunities exist that won't threaten their scholarships.

ClayK

PostPosted: 07/03/21 9:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't see how boosters can be banned. If a car dealership owner in Alabama wants the offensive line to endorse this dealership, how is that different from a Nike shoe deal?

And if a dentist wants to give a top high school basketball recruit (JuJu Watkins, say, out of L.A.) $20,000 to endorse his practice if she goes to UCLA, I don't see how that's illegal? (And how many boosters would love to have that kind of personal connection to a player?)

PostPosted: 07/03/21 11:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LOTSALOTSA room for speculative concerns:

1. If any player makes uber-lucrative deals, what are the guidelines on how they may spend it? i.e., could Paige give each of her teammates $50K to buy new cars/whatever?

2. The concerns about boosters luring primo candidates in various directions is of paramount importance, I'd think.

3. I certainly hope none of these (female) kids go down the slippery slope of "sexy sells", a la Kournikova. Rolling Eyes

(NOW look at this hornet's nest you've perpetrated, Clay! Razz )

PostPosted: 07/03/21 5:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I know it's an unpopular take, but I say

nil to NIL.

I'm not against players making money, but I'd rather it be some type of a shared revenue thing.

linkster

PostPosted: 07/04/21 4:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
I don't see how boosters can be banned. If a car dealership owner in Alabama wants the offensive line to endorse this dealership, how is that different from a Nike shoe deal?

And if a dentist wants to give a top high school basketball recruit (JuJu Watkins, say, out of L.A.) $20,000 to endorse his practice if she goes to UCLA, I don't see how that's illegal? (And how many boosters would love to have that kind of personal connection to a player?)

1. If there is an implied quid pro quo that she attend UCLA then I believe it's as prohibited as just handing her $10K in cash.

2. I also think that the UCLA starting QB will be much more likely to get that 20K than a wbb HS recruit.

ClayK

PostPosted: 07/04/21 7:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Of course ... but once in the school, anything goes.

And to think there won't be discussions about "endorsements" prior to enrolling is naive, I think.

Really, high school athletes should be allowed to have agents -- and what exactly is the reason they can't? -- and those agents will help them navigate a complex situation. The star QB will have a lot to choose from, and there will be a lot of money at stake, plus other issues.

For example, Sammy Stud decides to go to UCLA and has an endorsement deal on the table that offers him $100,000 a year for four years -- but if he transfers, he has to pay a $20,000 buyout. For a two-year deal, he might be better off taking less money for the chance to transfer after his sophomore season.

And yes, women's basketball players will not demand high salaries, er, endorsements, but what if a school or two decides to go all in and buy up the best players? In the non-revenue sports it wouldn't be that hard ... and then maybe revenue would follow.

PostPosted: 07/06/21 11:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Hoopsmom wrote:

They're already on a billboard in Times Square.

Someone mentioned team chemistry. This could be an excellent one to follow. Everyone already knew these twins had a huge following due to their tik tok videos but now that they are going to be able to cash in on that "fame", will this create some issues at Fresno State. I mean, how many athletes at that school outside of a few football/men's basketball players will get anything even close to what these 2 could possibly get.

Even UConn. I mean, I assume Paige will be highly sought after for endorsements but the rest of the team could get maybe just a fraction. Same thing at Iowa with Clark.

But yeah, I have a lot of the same questions that others have already posted. Going to be a very interesting time in college athletics.

ClayK

PostPosted: 07/06/21 4:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think team chemistry will necessarily be an issue unless the players taking more advantage of the NIL flaunt it.

There are always hierarchies in any human group, and though there will be some resentment, there's also the acknowledgement that anyone in position to take advantage of the rule is going to do so. The fact that Player A can't take advantage because she isn't good enough/pretty enough/whatever is a fact of life, and not the fault of Player B, who is getting NIL money.

And of course, dissipating such resentment -- about playing time or NIL -- is part of the coach's job.

PostPosted: 07/07/21 4:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Note that the Central Florida women's basketball team is now fully sponsored by a local company. What that means is unclear, but assume that each player is getting $5,000 -- plus the scholarship.

And UConn, Baylor, etc., presumably have more women's basketball boosters than other schools, and can be expected to respond accordingly.

Finally, and this applies to all collegiate sports, there is no salary cap.

PostPosted: 07/09/21 1:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

Offering $$$ and making it contingent on going to the boosters school? Isn't that what happens now? I suppose it will continue to be done and will still be against NCAA rules.

ClayK

PostPosted: 07/09/21 2:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Offering $$$ and making it contingent on going to the boosters school? Isn't that what happens now? I suppose it will continue to be done and will still be against NCAA rules.

Once they get there, though, it's completely legal.

So why not just let the market decide all of this? Let the boosters booster ...

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: