Sky
58%
 58%  [ 7 ]
Liberty
41%
 41%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 12

Shades

PostPosted: 06/20/21 7:05 pm    ::: Sky @ Liberty - 6/22/21 Reply Reply with quote

Cup records: CHI 5-2 | NYL 3-3
New York, NY - 7:00 PM ET
TV: The U

Video stream:
https://www.amazon.com/amazonprime (Amazon thread)
https://watchyesnetwork.com/

League Pass:
https://leaguepass.wnba.com/game/sky-at-liberty-on-06222021

Game page:
https://www.wnba.com/game/20210622/CHINYL/

ESPN Gamecast:
https://www.espn.com/wnba/game/_/gameId/401320644

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 06/22/21 4:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

At the game. Howard and Kiah both shooting in warm ups.

PostPosted: 06/22/21 5:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Chicago is averaging slightly over 90 ppg in their 5 game winning streak, which has coincided with the return of Parker, Dolson and Quigley. So many people you have to guard on this team.

PostPosted: 06/22/21 5:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howard is not in uniform.

PostPosted: 06/22/21 6:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Amazon Prime causing overseas blackouts of WNBA League Pass has been annoying this year Mad

PostPosted: 06/22/21 7:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Amazon Prime causing overseas blackouts of WNBA League Pass has been annoying this year Mad

not missing much. NY can't do anything with Parker. She's playing like she's being defended by HS players.

and Stokes was a disaster in her few minutes on the floor.

myrtle

PostPosted: 06/22/21 7:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ashley Battle made a good point about all of NY's shots being short. She said they got back late yesterday from the road trip and thought they hadn't gotten their legs back.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 06/22/21 8:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Laimbeer used to say that the first game back East from a West trip could have that effect.

It’s also not an unexpected outcome. Chicago is loaded with talent. I’m disappointed but not real worked up. Hopefully Howard shooting early in warmups is a sign that she’s close to playing.

It’s gonna be a grind until then. And honestly Sabrina and Howard probably will be less than 100% until after the Olympics.

Just have to tread water and stay close to .500 in the meantime. I think a late season run with a hopefully healthy squad is realistic.

Regarding Chicago, I’m really impressed with their unselfishness. DeShields is an absolutely lights out defender. Any game I’ve seen Parker play, her D has been a factor too. It’s crazy to have a team with playmakers like Slooty and Parker while also playing great D.

Last edited by NYL_WNBA_FAN on 06/22/21 8:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Queenie

PostPosted: 06/22/21 8:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If I were a basketball coach I would simply encourage my team to do the things that are working and stop doing the things that aren't.

PostPosted: 06/22/21 8:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Chicago would like to remind you that all of its best players are back.

New York would like to remind you that its best players are not.

That's the game.

Sparksfan

PostPosted: 06/22/21 9:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So what's the excuse for Chicago that had a worst travel experience than NY yesterday

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 06/22/21 9:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Chicago would like to remind you that all of its best players are back.

New York would like to remind you that its best players are not.

That's the game.

And sometimes…it really is just that simple. In a year where a lot of teams’ players are in and out, the team with the healthiest star players is going to win.

Right now there’s not a whole lot else Walt can do.

PostPosted: 06/22/21 9:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sparksfan wrote:
So what's the excuse for Chicago that had a worst travel experience than NY yesterday

I don’t think it’s being used as an excuse. Chicago is legitimately 20 points better than NY right now on talent alone. And to LA’s credit, their pressure defense took a lot out of NY on Sunday.

Chicago also played a day earlier and didn’t have to overplay their starters in that game. They earned that right by winning more comfortably than NY did Sunday.

PostPosted: 06/22/21 9:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

Right now there’s not a whole lot else Walt can do.

true. but he did set the team up the way he did so it's hard to say he is entirely blameless. Yeah, Howard is out and she will surely make a difference. But just saying there needed to be a plan B. I don't think you can survive with three posts even with Shook performing at a level nobody could have expected. One gets injured and you're screwed. But when another one is Stokes, you are doubly screwed. I mean this is a player who couldn't even make the Turkey team, which is really pretty mediocre.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 06/22/21 9:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Very harsh IMO. Not on Stokes, on the expectations of how much a team should be expected to improve both their quality and their depth in a single off-season.

PostPosted: 06/22/21 10:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So we all know the definition of insanity. But what gets me is that we saw things that were working and went "nah, let's throw a sloppy contested pass for a bad three-point shot instead" over and over again. I get that this system is heavily dependent on the existence and presence of Natasha Howard to actually function, but the concept of a backup plan, i.e. "hey, Naj is hitting shots in the paint, let's try to set up some of that" seems to have escaped the staff's notice.

I mean, don't get me wrong, Chicago is damn good. Parker is so smooth. Kahleah Copper extends those long arms and long fingers like the coolest Inspector Gadget reboot ever. Stevens and Hebard are better than Dolson and it is time for Chicago to make a damn move. (Bias alert: Azurá's older sister Da'Shena was a standout for St. John's, so I am simultaneously proud of her by proxy and slightly salty that Day couldn't talk her into going to St. John's.) Quigley does godamn Quigley things, and I am so tired of goddamn Quigley things. They have a lot of good pieces and the pieces fit well together.

But I refuse to believe that we are as awful as we were tonight. I refuse. We can be better than this. And either I am the biggest idiot in the world or Hopkins' focus is on the wrong things. Like, I do not think Michaela Onyenwere's defense on Candace Parker was the biggest problem. I'm not sure why he singled out Kiah Stokes. I mean, yes, Kiah was hot mess on a platter, but she wasn't the only one. Too many missed makeable shots. Too many sloppy passes and mishandled passes. We need to get our act together.

I thought it was interesting that this was the first game all year where they specifically asked us to stand for the Star-Spangled Banner. Lift Ev'ry Voice and Sing was performed later with the same request.

As a student of American history, the fact card that stated the United States received its independence from British rule on July 4th, 1776 had steam coming out of my ears. Hello? There was an entire Revolution involved? We didn't just ask nicely and they said, "sure, why not?"

This was not the game I would have liked to see the commish at. A better game would have been preferable. Maybe Thursday we'll have our give a damn fixed.

Postgame eats: BK9. Food was excellent (one of my jerk chicken wings may have been undercooked, I’m not sure; in that lighting, I couldn't tell if the sauce bled into the chicken or the chicken bled into the chicken). Burger was good and the cook on the red snapper was impeccable. But holy crow medicine show was it expensive. $5 for a soft drink and only one entrée under twenty bucks.

PostPosted: 06/22/21 10:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quennie, the food might of been pricey but aren't you glad that your team is playing in Brooklyn versus that high school gym from a few years ago?

PostPosted: 06/22/21 10:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
Quennie, the food might of been pricey but aren't you glad that your team is playing in Brooklyn versus that high school gym from a few years ago?

YOU HAVE NO IDEA.

But there are more reasonably priced restaurants in the neighborhood. Happycappie and I have made it a goal to hit a different restaurant after every game; between the commercial district on 5th Avenue, the happenings at Atlantic/Pacific, and the restaurant row on Fulton Street, we should manage it. If something's good, other people ought to know about it, but since a lot of places aren't posting menus, it's also good to know what the price ranges are.

PostPosted: 06/22/21 10:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Very harsh IMO. Not on Stokes, on the expectations of how much a team should be expected to improve both their quality and their depth in a single off-season.

Last year's Liberty team was 2-20. Currently, New York is 7-7, tied for 5th place, despite having a healthy Natasha Howard and a healthy Sabrina Ionescu for only a small percentage of these 14 games. That is dramatic improvement in 40% of a season under difficult circumstances. Luuuc is completely right.

PostPosted: 06/22/21 10:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:

maybe. but I think expectations got raised by adding Laney, Whitcomb, and Howard, and then Onyenwere performing well in the beginning. But there is very much a post problem which Walt seems to have ignored at the beginning of the season, and continues to ignore.

Queenie

PostPosted: 06/22/21 10:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Luuuc wrote:

maybe. but I think expectations got raised by adding Laney, Whitcomb, and Howard, and then Onyenwere performing well in the beginning. But there is very much a post problem which Walt seems to have ignored at the beginning of the season, and continues to ignore.

Dudes dig the long ball, I guess.

PostPosted: 06/22/21 10:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Luuuc wrote:

You believe that he is ignoring the problem. This is the system or style of basketball that he wants to use for his team. If he wanted big post players then he could have kept AZB.

PostPosted: 06/22/21 11:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

YOU HAVE NO IDEA.

But there are more reasonably priced restaurants in the neighborhood. Happycappie and I have made it a goal to hit a different restaurant after every game; between the commercial district on 5th Avenue, the happenings at Atlantic/Pacific, and the restaurant row on Fulton Street, we should manage it. If something's good, other people ought to know about it, but since a lot of places aren't posting menus, it's also good to know what the price ranges are.
You mean they are not posting their menu prices online?

PostPosted: 06/22/21 11:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
Queenie wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

YOU HAVE NO IDEA.

They are, but they're not posting them out front of the restaurant, and if you're strolling down 5th Avenue you're not gonna whip out your phone and search for the restaurant's website.

PostPosted: 06/22/21 11:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:
Queenie wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

YOU HAVE NO IDEA.

They are, but they're not posting them out front of the restaurant, and if you're strolling down 5th Avenue you're not gonna whip out your phone and search for the restaurant's website.
Understood.

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: