RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Is this why the W struggles to be taken seriously?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  

How do you feel about the overall coverage in general of those who write about/analyze the League?
It's good/good enough
11%
 11%  [ 3 ]
It's bad/not good enough
73%
 73%  [ 19 ]
No opinion/Don't really care about the overall coverage
15%
 15%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 26

Richyyy

PostPosted: 06/24/21 9:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
Is it a fluff piece about the adversity Catchings faced growing up and how she overcame it to be one of the best of all time? All praise, no analysis.

No, no it is not. Wink

WNBA Dissected: How do you solve a problem like the Fever? Plus more from 2021 Week 6: https://herhoopstats.substack.com/p/wnba-dissected-week6-indiana-fever-nneka
Quote:
A Fever that’s so hard to bear
Let's not equivocate here: the Indiana Fever are bad.

PostPosted: 06/25/21 1:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
WNBA Dissected: How do you solve a problem like the Fever? Plus more from 2021 Week 6: https://herhoopstats.substack.com/p/wnba-dissected-week6-indiana-fever-nneka

Finally got around to reading this, and yep, you summarized the whole fiasco up pretty nicely. Wish other analysts could do this too! Again, it's not just that the Fever are really bad, they're bad in such a historic way. So much could be said about it, really. And yet, most who cover the League simply choose not to. It's not like they'd have to stop writing fluff pieces altogether. I just want balance. Show people the good, the bad, and the ugly (not just the good & the ugly, if that makes sense). Show people a normal League.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 06/28/21 7:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was thinking about this thread last night as I was watching the US Olympics trials in gymnastics. The entire televised group of participants had a pretty shitty night, falling off the beam, falling off the bars, falling or stepping wayyyy out of bounds on the floor exercise. Even the "GOAT" Simone Biles participated in the crapfest that made me cringe.

The whole time the commentators were gushing about how wonderful they all were. "That fall really doesn't matter." "She only completed half of her planned moves but those were good." Blah, blah, blah.

At the end, I was left with the extreme disinclination to even watch this event next month. Maybe they're planning to give out participation trophies instead of medals while our announcers take a nap. I'd have to think casual WNBA viewers feel the same about Indiana. It's hard to take this kind of competition seriously and harder to swallow the indiscriminate praise for it.

ClayK

PostPosted: 06/28/21 9:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
I was thinking about this thread last night as I was watching the US Olympics trials in gymnastics. The entire televised group of participants had a pretty shitty night, falling off the beam, falling off the bars, falling or stepping wayyyy out of bounds on the floor exercise. Even the "GOAT" Simone Biles participated in the crapfest that made me cringe.

The whole time the commentators were gushing about how wonderful they all were. "That fall really doesn't matter." "She only completed half of her planned moves but those were good." Blah, blah, blah.

At the end, I was left with the extreme disinclination to even watch this event next month. Maybe they're planning to give out participation trophies instead of medals while our announcers take a nap. I'd have to think casual WNBA viewers feel the same about Indiana. It's hard to take this kind of competition seriously and harder to swallow the indiscriminate praise for it.

X_________

Our Girls are everywhere, and they are above critical commentary.

PostPosted: 06/28/21 10:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Do you watch gymnastics often? The most common critique leveled against Tim Daggett, the longtime gymnastics commentator, is that he is too critical. The point they were making is that this year, the USA women's difficulty scores are so much higher than the next best country that they would still be the overwhelming favorites to win, even with falls on multiple apparatuses.

Your comment also gives zero credit to Sunisa Lee for the incredible competition she had.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 06/28/21 4:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Suni Lee was the only one who did well and her performance wasn't as good as Fri night. Despite that, her score Sun night was better than Biles which I only heard the announcers mention once. The comments that we can still win with multiple falls and other mistakes...yikes, is that what we're shooting for going into the Olympics?

undersized_post

PostPosted: 06/28/21 5:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
Suni Lee was the only one who did well and her performance wasn't as good as Fri night. Despite that, her score Sun night was better than Biles which I only heard the announcers mention once. The comments that we can still win with multiple falls and other mistakes...yikes, is that what we're shooting for going into the Olympics?

I know you're being sacrastic, but still, dumb question, of course that's not the goal lmao. Gymnastics, is, ya know, hard. Falls are more common than people realize. When the only routines that get played back over and over are the nearly perfect ones, people get in in their heads that that's what gymnastics always looks like. But that's not the case.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: