54%
 54%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 11

lynxmania

PostPosted: 06/19/21 12:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
Apologies if this has already been answered, but, how does the LA Convention Center allow the Staples Center logo to be on their court? Are they affiliated or something? Feels like false advertising to see it since we know the Sparks aren't playing at the actual Staples Center until August.

Not sure about absolute ownership of each piece, but I believe AEG manage the whole complex, including both Staples and the Convention Center. Just in general there doesn't seem to be a huge amount of attention paid to what's painted on the WNBA floors. A lot of teams still have old WNBA logos on there.

Thanks! Being under the same ownership group makes a lot of sense. Still feels weird to see the SC logo, but maybe it's all for the branding aspect? Even if none of the teams, fans, or viewers would actually care. Laughing

I think most fans can tell that they are playing at the equivalent of IMG Academy Laughing

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 06/19/21 7:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
Apologies if this has already been answered, but, how does the LA Convention Center allow the Staples Center logo to be on their court? Are they affiliated or something? Feels like false advertising to see it since we know the Sparks aren't playing at the actual Staples Center until August.

Not sure about absolute ownership of each piece, but I believe AEG manage the whole complex, including both Staples and the Convention Center. Just in general there doesn't seem to be a huge amount of attention paid to what's painted on the WNBA floors. A lot of teams still have old WNBA logos on there.

Thanks! Being under the same ownership group makes a lot of sense. Still feels weird to see the SC logo, but maybe it's all for the branding aspect? Even if none of the teams, fans, or viewers would actually care. Laughing

I think most fans can tell that they are playing at the equivalent of IMG Academy Laughing

I'm not sure how the decals on the court work but I feel like removing the SC decal isn't worth the effort. As already mentioned, there are outdated WNBA logos on some courts too. I guess they're just lucky that the convention center is owned by the same company and nobody is portraying it.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 06/19/21 8:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
SOPHIE WTAF

[ETA]: https://twitter.com/WNBALead/status/1406094859899916289

That's what you get for not using your left hand. #fundamentals

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 06/19/21 12:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Game observations:

*LA is long and athletic, but they aren’t going anywhere without Nneka on the floor

*Phoenix is at their best when Turner is involved on both ends of the floor. Griner and Diggins can’t do it all

*The announcers mentioned Sandy referring to Skylar as their best perimeter defender Shocked if that isn’t an indictment against Nurse I don’t know what is Laughing

*Wheeler is a pretty good player, however I’m not sold on her being a franchise player

*SCook, Sandy lives to see another day Laughing

* Nice sportsmanship between Sykes, Cunningham, and Diggins. If this was against the Liberty it might’ve been a different story Laughing Shocked

jap

PostPosted: 06/19/21 1:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:
Game observations:

*LA is long and athletic, but they aren’t going anywhere without Nneka on the floor

The Sparks have some interesting young players who need to further their individual games and become much more consistent. At least they are beginning to show more chemistry.

Iluvacc wrote:

*Wheeler is a pretty good player, however I’m not sold on her being a franchise player

Erica seems to be growing visibly every game, sometimes every quarter. She seems to want to take over Chelsea Gray's old "The Closer" role. With more significant improvement she may actually get there.

PostPosted: 06/21/21 9:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:
Game observations:

*Phoenix is at their best when Turner is involved on both ends of the floor. Griner and Diggins can’t do it all

*The announcers mentioned Sandy referring to Skylar as their best perimeter defender Shocked if that isn’t an indictment against Nurse I don’t know what is Laughing

*SCook, Sandy lives to see another day Laughing

* Nice sportsmanship between Sykes, Cunningham, and Diggins. If this was against the Liberty it might’ve been a different story Laughing Shocked

Turner has to be involved offensively and defensively for Phoenix to be successful. She has to shoot the ball.

The comment about Skylar being the best perimeter defender made me cackle. But from what I've seen, this is true. Skylar's defense has gotten much better over this young season.

Yeah. She lives to see another day. Sandy sure knows how to survive. I still have my good eye on her. In the postgame media, She said that Sophie is likely to return to the bench when Diana returns. Kia Nurse starting at the 3 over Sophie..... I. Sandy please.

PostPosted: 06/21/21 7:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SCook wrote:
Yeah. She lives to see another day. Sandy sure knows how to survive. I still have my good eye on her.

Come on, SCook. Don't be such a pushover.
Seems nearly every Mercury game thread includes a "Fire Sandy" post from you. Beating a weak team like LA (after just losing to them a couple of days earlier) shouldn't be changing your mind. Stick to your guns!

PostPosted: 06/21/21 9:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Perhaps Sandy Brondello is only still coaching Phoenix because Taurasi & Griner want her to be. The Merc Front office may want to fire her, but are afraid of the repercussions from their “superstars”.

Idk though, would having to trade Griner and/or watching Taurasi walk/retire early be so bad? Genuinely don’t know.

SCook

PostPosted: 06/22/21 7:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
SCook wrote:
Yeah. She lives to see another day. Sandy sure knows how to survive. I still have my good eye on her.

Seems nearly every Mercury game thread includes a "Fire Sandy" post from you. Beating a weak team like LA (after just losing to them a couple of days earlier) shouldn't be changing your mind. Stick to your guns!

Laughing I still feel she needs to go. I just think it was cute for her. Trust me. I'm still on Sandy's head and will continue to be!

PostPosted: 06/22/21 7:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Perhaps Sandy Brondello is only still coaching Phoenix because Taurasi & Griner want her to be. The Merc Front office may want to fire her, but are afraid of the repercussions from their “superstars”.

Idk though, would having to trade Griner and/or watching Taurasi walk/retire early be so bad? Genuinely don’t know.

It's not about what they want! BG & Diana aren't going anywhere. I'm sure the front office would find some way to appease their feelings if this were the case.

People said Diana didn't want Corey gone either but he was replaced. Therefore, if they have a losing season, I'm sure she'd be gone too.

PostPosted: 06/22/21 8:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SCook wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
SCook wrote:

Laughing I still feel she needs to go. I just think it was cute for her. Trust me. I'm still on Sandy's head and will continue to be!

Ok, glad you cleared that up. Stay strong. 💪

PostPosted: 06/22/21 9:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
SCook wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
SCook wrote:

Ok, glad you cleared that up. Stay strong. 💪

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Richyyy

PostPosted: 06/22/21 11:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SCook wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

It's not about what they want! BG & Diana aren't going anywhere. I'm sure the front office would find some way to appease their feelings if this were the case.

People said Diana didn't want Corey gone either but he was replaced. Therefore, if they have a losing season, I'm sure she'd be gone too.

She's already had multiple losing seasons, and others where they floated around .500 without doing much. None of them got her fired. I tend to agree that it feels like she won't be gone unless their stars want her to be.

PostPosted: 06/22/21 12:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think the bigger picture with Sandy leaving would be her replacement. There would be a huge expectation that whoever comes in would have to have immediate and long lasting success. Who is out there who could do that?

Personally, I do not think Sandy is the problem. When you have 1/3 of your salary cap riding the pine due to injury it would be hard for even the best of the best to be successful night in and night out. I think a healthy starting lineup of Diggins-Smith, DT, Nurse, Turner, and BG with Hartley, Walker, Cunningham, and Vaughn off the bench would hold their own with success with even a mediocre coach.

Mike T is considered to be one of the best, if not the best, but without EDD his team is average. With her, they are champions.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: