20%  [ 3 ]
Aces
80%
 80%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 15

root_thing

PostPosted: 06/16/21 3:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bbsamjj wrote:
I don't think Seattle's other post, Russell, is dramatically better than Stokes/Gray/Shook.

Against bigger posts, Russell is absolutely better defensively. She is 6-6 and moves decently. Mercedes may not put up big numbers, but she's capable of being an impediment. Big centers can't push her around or jump over her the way they can the Liberty posts. In fact, her second (and last) game with New York, she effectively slowed down Sylvia Fowles. It wouldn't surprise me if that's what motivated Seattle to sign her in the first place.

PostPosted: 06/16/21 3:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If we're talking about the Storm within this context, Mercedes Russell hadn't even joined the team yet when the Storm twice took on the Aces to open the season. So we don't really know yet how the current iterations of the respective teams will fare against each other – specifically that Cambage-Russell matchup. We should know more on the 27th of this month, the two teams' rubber match in Vegas.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 06/16/21 8:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not only are the Liberty missing Howard, they’re missing Stokes. I think they need one more versatile defender in the 6’2 or 6’3 range to have their system be ideal. But I do think with Howard they become a pretty strong defensive team. Howard is probably the most versatile post defender in the league. Howard deservedly won her DPOY. With Howard and Stokes, they could also use potential bigger lineup combos when needed. I just don’t think it’s an option at the moment. As far as the viability of the system, I don’t think they’re necessarily finished putting the pieces in place either.

Regarding Vegas you also gotta remember one thing. They’re rare. Not only do they have two top post players but they have elite size and skill at the 1-3 positions. The Liberty beat Phoenix in large part because their wing players dominated Phoenix physically. That’s not gonna happen against Vegas. And when you struggle to score, the other team’s transition opportunities snowball.

I’m not real broken up over it. Vegas is ridiculously talented. They’re essentially starting four all-stars the way Young is playing. And if they had Angel it might be five.

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: