Liberty
20%
 20%  [ 3 ]
Aces
80%
 80%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 15

Shades

PostPosted: 06/14/21 8:14 pm    ::: Liberty @ Aces - 6/15/21 Reply Reply with quote

Las Vegas, NV - 10:00 PM ET
TV: MYLVTV

Video stream:
https://www.espn.com/watch/player/_/id/5d1d881d-8ea1-426d-81e3-4f76e238558d#bucketId=1

League Pass:
https://leaguepass.wnba.com/game/liberty-at-aces-on-06152021

Game page:
https://www.wnba.com/game/20210615/NYLLVA/

ESPN Gamecast:
https://www.espn.com/wnba/game/_/gameId/401320631

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
ChasingRatDogmaSalade

PostPosted: 06/15/21 3:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Watch The Sausage Get Made ...

Top Post Duos this year. Who am I missing?

Team.................Players..........................PPG....RPG....APG....FG%....Net Rtg
Connecticut.........Jones and Bonner.............38.0....16.9....6.4....48.6....+30.6
Las Vegas............Cambage and Wilson........34.8....16.7....4.7....54.0....+24.7
Minnesota............Fowles and Collier............32.8....15.0....5.0....53.2....+3.5
Washington..........Charles and Hines-Allen....38.7....16.0....4.2....43.4....+3.0

Stormeo

PostPosted: 06/15/21 4:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChasingRatDogmaSalade wrote:

I would say for Connecticut that their Top Post Duo is Jones & Jones, rather than Jones & Bonner, as Bonner seems to play much more on the perimeter. Still a good post duo for them, though.

ChasingRatDogmaSalade

PostPosted: 06/15/21 6:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
ChasingRatDogmaSalade wrote:

I would say for Connecticut that their Top Post Duo is Jones & Jones, rather than Jones & Bonner, as Bonner seems to play much more on the perimeter. Still a good post duo for them, though.

I would agree, but Bonner had slightly better numbers as I recall so I went with her.

Thanks!

Shades

PostPosted: 06/15/21 9:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What’s going on with Onyenwere?

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 06/15/21 10:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Who'da guessed that Kylee Shook would turn out to be a better player than Lauren Cox?

PostPosted: 06/15/21 10:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
Who'da guessed that Kylee Shook would turn out to be a better player than Lauren Cox?

Unlike Cox, she’s getting the opportunity to play.

myrtle

PostPosted: 06/15/21 10:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Plum with a great game in this one.

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 06/15/21 10:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Plum with a great game in this one.

So fun to watch. Expecting much more of this in her future.

PostPosted: 06/15/21 11:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So, it's clear to everybody that opposing teams are going to try and scheme Cambage off the court, by having their center bomb threes, right?

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
myrtle

PostPosted: 06/15/21 11:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
So, it's clear to everybody that opposing teams are going to try and scheme Cambage off the court, by having their center bomb threes, right?

how many teams are equipped with such centers who are a real threat?

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 06/15/21 11:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:

The real question is, how many teams that are otherwise good enough to beat Vegas three times out of five, so equipped?

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
myrtle

PostPosted: 06/16/21 12:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:

The real question is, how many teams that are otherwise good enough to beat Vegas three times out of five, so equipped?

good point. not Seattle. not Minnesota. not Phoenix. not Connecticut. not Dallas. maybe Chicago? Maybe DC once EDD is back? Maybe even NY once Howard is back. But the "otherwise good enough" part is an issue for most, if not all, of these teams. Vegas is so loaded that even if one player is having a sub par game, there are others to pick up the slack. Other teams don't have that bounty.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 06/16/21 6:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:

good point. not Seattle. not Minnesota. not Phoenix. not Connecticut. not Dallas. maybe Chicago? Maybe DC once EDD is back? Maybe even NY once Howard is back. But the "otherwise good enough" part is an issue for most, if not all, of these teams. Vegas is so loaded that even if one player is having a sub par game, there are others to pick up the slack. Other teams don't have that bounty.

How can you dismiss Connecticut? J.J. can make threes. This sista is 🔥🔥 Dynamite!

PostPosted: 06/16/21 7:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

alas, we were not tall enough to ride this ride

PostPosted: 06/16/21 8:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

To beat Las Vegas without Howard and Ionescu, New York has to shoot a high percentage of threes and have a low number of turnovers. Instead, they shot 32% on threes, committed 18 turnovers, and lost by 22 points.

Even with Howard and Ionescu healthy, beating Las Vegas will be a difficult challenge for New York.

PostPosted: 06/16/21 9:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
Queenie wrote:

To beat Las Vegas without Howard and Ionescu, New York has to shoot a high percentage of threes and have a low number of turnovers. Instead, they shot 32% on threes, committed 18 turnovers, and lost by 22 points.

Even with Howard and Ionescu healthy, beating Las Vegas will be a difficult challenge for New York.

As I've wondered before, if real-life experience proves that their theories are wrong, will Kolb and Hopkins be able to admit their mistake? Can they pivot toward playing conventional basketball, at least in regard to size?

PostPosted: 06/16/21 11:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:

How can you dismiss Connecticut? J.J. can make threes. This sista is 🔥🔥 Dynamite!

Not dismissing JJ at all. She would be busy with A'ja. I'm looking at the fives who can shoot threes. B.Jones is not one of them.

Shades

PostPosted: 06/16/21 11:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vq7y36WCVOE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Milks26

PostPosted: 06/16/21 11:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dallas kept the score way closer than the Libs

Last edited by Milks26 on 06/16/21 12:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
bbsamjj

PostPosted: 06/16/21 11:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:
Queenie wrote:

As I've wondered before, if real-life experience proves that their theories are wrong, will Kolb and Hopkins be able to admit their mistake? Can they pivot toward playing conventional basketball, at least in regard to size?

Hard to say whether their theory is right or wrong when their big 3 (Ionescu, Howard, Laney) have played 1.5 games together. And I'm not sure anyone thought NYL would be a top 3 team this year, which is definitely what Vegas is/should be (if not the best). Without a doubt NYL is a better team this year, and is running their preferred style well. But they were also going to struggle against the very big teams (Though they did just beat Phoenix).

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 06/16/21 12:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:

I've always shared your concerns about "small ball" and whether Kolb and Hopkins are wedded to this approach no matter what.

Consider this for the 2022 season. Suppose New York sticks with "small ball." Only one post player on the floor at any time.

Starting lineup: Laney, Willoughby, Howard, Ionescu, Whitcomb

Backup post players: choose two out of Shook, Stokes, Gray, Han, others arriving via the draft, free agency, or trades.

Backups for the other four starters: choose some out of Onyenwere, Durr, Johannes, Jones, Odom, Allen, Dojkic, Richards, Fauthoux, Kea, Raincock-Ekunwe, others arriving via the draft, free agency, or trades.

This 2022 team could have a lot of talent. Could they win a three-out-of-five playoff series against a team like Las Vegas that's very strong up front?

I am skeptical. Which is why I'm skeptical about "small ball."

PostPosted: 06/16/21 2:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm not saying New York couldn't be a decent team while playing this style. However, winning a championship is another matter. Even with their full starting line-up, this group isn't going to defend well against big teams. Maybe they can try to outscore people, but that's not the story we've been hearing. All we were told coming into this season was how they were building a defensive team.

If you can accumulate 4 or 5 All-Stars, I'm sure there's some combination who can play small and win a championship. However, is that the easiest way to go about building a championship team? I can probably cook dinner with one hand tied behind my back if I really try. But it doesn't mean that's a smart thing to do.

PostPosted: 06/16/21 3:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The liberty alas don't have the post depth to play anything but small right now. Say Howard was healthy; I could see them playing a lineup yesterday that was Gray/Howard/Allen/Whitcomb/Laney. That's a pretty good defensive team, and one that could at least physically keep up with Las Vegas's posts.

But I'd also argue that the only team that can really matchup with Vegas's posts is Connecticut, and Chicago with Parker. I don't think Seattle's other post, Russell, is dramatically better than Stokes/Gray/Shook.

bbsamjj

PostPosted: 06/16/21 3:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
root_thing wrote:

I've always shared your concerns about "small ball" and whether Kolb and Hopkins are wedded to this approach no matter what.

Consider this for the 2022 season. Suppose New York sticks with "small ball." Only one post player on the floor at any time.

Starting lineup: Laney, Willoughby, Howard, Ionescu, Whitcomb

Backup post players: choose two out of Shook, Stokes, Gray, Han, others arriving via the draft, free agency, or trades.

Backups for the other four starters: choose some out of Onyenwere, Durr, Johannes, Jones, Odom, Allen, Dojkic, Richards, Fauthoux, Kea, Raincock-Ekunwe, others arriving via the draft, free agency, or trades.

This 2022 team could have a lot of talent. Could they win a three-out-of-five playoff series against a team like Las Vegas that's very strong up front?

I am skeptical. Which is why I'm skeptical about "small ball."

The problem with Vegas is of course not just Wilson/Cambage/Hambey. It's Young, Plum, Gray, and when healthy, Angel. I guess I don't think the Liberty are at a point yet where they should be building their roster just to matchup with Vegas; free agency is making all team's rosters much more fluid, and first the Liberty need to get back to winning with what they have (and to get healthy).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: