someone else
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 52

pilight

PostPosted: 06/14/21 7:59 am    ::: MVP Reply Reply with quote

Monday Poll time!

PostPosted: 06/14/21 9:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There are only 4 teams with non-losing records. That keeps my list short this week.
JJones drops off once she reaches 4 games missed. She’s choosing overseas money over her WNBA team. No tears should be shed.
I’m impressed by Wilson’s FT% even at the highest volume.
I’m also impressed by Laney’s Maya impersonation. 5 apg?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
undersized_post

PostPosted: 06/14/21 9:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's crazy that out of 12 times, only 4 have a winning record. Interesting how that works out distribution wise.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 06/14/21 10:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
It's crazy that out of 12 times, only 4 have a winning record. Interesting how that works out distribution wise.

#Parity

PostPosted: 06/14/21 12:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This was the toughest one as I could make excellent cases for so many of them.

Right now I'd have it between Wilson, Jones, and Laney. I believe they are the main reasons their team are as successful as they are. The current tear that Wilson is on though edged her ahead of the pack. Double double, just over 3 assists, and 29-30 from the FT line is amazing.

Jones and Laney are putting up great numbers for their teams and as I said, great cases could be made for them. I'm happy to see Jones back and to see Laney continuing her success. If Jones misses a lot of games, that will affect votes.

Tina is having a great season and if the Mystics' record improves, so will her chances.

I think Stewart and Loyd are each others worst luck for MVP votes. Right now, how do you rank one above the other?

Sylvia's numbers are fine, but not extraordinary right now. Hayes has put up good scoring numbers, but it's still not quite enough to get Atlanta over the hump. I don't see them as legit threats at the moment, but it's still early in the season.

Oh and only 4 with winning records, and 2 of them have 3 #1 picks on their team. There's parity and then there are draft picks.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 06/14/21 1:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I went for Jones, if only because of how much of a difference it made with her out. If she only misses 4 games that shouldn't hurt her chances.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 06/14/21 3:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
I went for Jones, if only because of how much of a difference it made with her out. If she only misses 4 games that shouldn't hurt her chances.

If Jones only missed 4 games and returns putting up these types of #'s consistently she will get my vote regardless.

PostPosted: 06/14/21 3:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
If she only misses 4 games that shouldn't hurt her chances.

This comment isn’t factually supported, but we’ll see. How about if she misses 6 games?
http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=92313

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
pilight

PostPosted: 06/14/21 4:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:

Nobody has ever won MVP missing that many games

PostPosted: 06/14/21 6:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:

Are there any actual comps for her, pilight? Players who missed 4, 5, 6 games who might otherwise have won the award? Or is she in uncharted territory if she keeps up her production upon her return?

pilight

PostPosted: 06/14/21 7:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChasingRatDogmaSalade wrote:
pilight wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:

Are there any actual comps for her, pilight? Players who missed 4, 5, 6 games who might otherwise have won the award? Or is she in uncharted territory if she keeps up her production upon her return?

The only player to finish 2nd in MVP voting while missing more than three games was Becky Hammon in 2007, who missed six. Many people were arguing for her to win over Lauren Jackson, who missed three.

Chamique Holdsclaw led the league in scoring and rebounding in 2002 despite missing 12 games. The league was much looser with eligibility rules for awards in those days. She finished 4th in the voting, amazing for a player who missed 38% of the season.

PostPosted: 06/14/21 10:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

The only player to finish 2nd in MVP voting while missing more than three games was Becky Hammon in 2007, who missed six. Many people were arguing for her to win over Lauren Jackson, who missed three.

Chamique Holdsclaw led the league in scoring and rebounding in 2002 despite missing 12 games. The league was much looser with eligibility rules for awards in those days. She finished 4th in the voting, amazing for a player who missed 38% of the season.

Thanks for the info!

calbearman76

PostPosted: 06/15/21 12:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The real question is "Who else?" I doubt seriously that the Liberty or Mystics will be a top 3 team where all MVPs have come from for more than a decade, which would rule out Laney and Charles). Breanna Stewart certainly has a strong case (and I believe is the favorite). A'ja Wilson is also in the mix, but she won last year without Liz Cambage and this year her stats are suffering somewhat. As of today Jones has been the best player. If she misses 4-6 games but is able to come back to lead the Sun to a top 3 record (which could mean the best record in the games that she plays) I think her missed games can be overlooked. Of course she will have to maintain her level of play throughout the season.

ChasingRatDogmaSalade

PostPosted: 06/15/21 11:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
A'ja Wilson is also in the mix, but she won last year without Liz Cambage and this year her stats are suffering somewhat.

A'ja 2020—20.5 ppg, 8.5 rpg, 2.0 apg, 48.0 FG%, 78.1 FT%, 111 OER
A'ja 2021—19.5 ppg, 8.5 rpg, 3.5 apg, 49.3 FG%, 94.2 FT%, 117 OER

Richyyy

PostPosted: 06/15/21 11:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have vague memories of some people trying to make a case for Candace Parker in one of the years where she missed half the season. Looking at her numbers I would guess it was 2015 because 2011 feels like too long ago. Obviously not that many people agreed she should win, but there were definitely argments made, and she made it onto a bunch of ballots despite only playing 16 games.

As always, the levels of alternatives will be key. Missing 4-6 games will be a tiebreaker for a bunch of people if it's close enough to be considered a toss-up, but I don't think it's enough to rule her out if she's clearly the best player (and on a good team) while playing 26-28.

PostPosted: 06/15/21 12:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
A'ja Wilson is also in the mix, but she won last year without Liz Cambage and this year her stats are suffering somewhat.

Damn they are really suffering Laughing

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 06/15/21 12:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:

Turrrrrrriblyyyyy Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 06/15/21 3:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
lynxmania wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:

Turrrrrrriblyyyyy Laughing Laughing Laughing

Thoughts and prayers for her suffering.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: