Liberty
8%
 8%  [ 1 ]
Sun
91%
 91%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 12

Shades

PostPosted: 06/04/21 2:53 pm    ::: Liberty @ Sun - 6/05/21 Reply Reply with quote

Cup records: NYL 3-2 | CON 3-0
Uncasville, CT - 7:00 PM ET
TV: NESN, YES, SN1

Video stream:
https://watchyesnetwork.com/

League Pass:
https://leaguepass.wnba.com/game/liberty-at-sun-on-06052021

Game page:
https://www.wnba.com/game/20210605/NYLCON/

ESPN Gamecast:
https://www.espn.com/wnba/game/_/gameId/401320613

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 06/05/21 6:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Queenie

PostPosted: 06/04/21 11:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh, look. A game I would have gone to if Mohegan's bag policy weren't a hot steaming pile of crap. Unless they've loosened up and not put it on the website?

PostPosted: 06/05/21 8:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I couldn’t even find tickets anywhere except way way upstairs, expensive at that. Otherwise I’d be going too.

I have a feeling the Liberty are going to play a strong, physical defensive game. Whether that will be enough to win, we will see. They’re off for eight days after this and haven’t won since May 24th. There’s probably going to be a sense of urgency heading into this game.

PostPosted: 06/05/21 6:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is reportedly Jonquel Jones’ last game before heading to Eurobasket.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 06/05/21 6:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
myrtle

PostPosted: 06/05/21 6:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Everything is totally normal. Bonner is whining away.

myrtle

PostPosted: 06/05/21 6:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

so Onyenwere is wide open under the basket and Jaz Jones doesn't see her. Why or why does Walt think she is a good idea?

undersized_post

PostPosted: 06/05/21 6:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
so Onyenwere is wide open under the basket and Jaz Jones doesn't see her. Why or why does Walt think she is a good idea?

I didn't see the play you're talking about but I think Jaz is playing well?

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 06/05/21 6:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:

Agreed. As a Liberty fan who's never been enthusiastic about Jaz Jones, I'm surprised and delighted at what she's giving New York so far today.

PostPosted: 06/05/21 6:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
myrtle wrote:

yes. after I said that, I think she has been quite good. In general I just don't think she is appropriate as a PG but today she is doing well. A lot of times she brings 'energy' but it tends to go in random directions and when she can actually make her shots, that's also a plus.

myrtle

PostPosted: 06/05/21 7:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NY just cannot win with no posts against decent teams ...and essentially they have no posts.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 06/05/21 7:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If JJones + BJones + DBonner can keep producing at a steady and consistent pace, it's looking hard for NY to keep up.

NY uses excessive physicality to compensate for their lack of true size, especially when the ball goes inside. So it's not a big mystery why they have been whistled for more fouls and shot less FT's than their opponents in the last couple games...

myrtle

PostPosted: 06/05/21 7:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just reminiscing...when NY had JMAC and Kraayeveld their posts were so much better than this. Maybe they can get them to come out of retirement

just joking

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 06/05/21 7:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
If JJones + BJones + DBonner can keep producing at a steady and consistent pace, it's looking hard for NY to keep up.

NY uses excessive physicality to compensate for their lack of true size, especially when the ball goes inside. So it's not a big mystery why they have been whistled for more fouls and shot less FT's than their opponents in the last couple games...

That’s one way of looking at it.

PostPosted: 06/05/21 7:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
NY just cannot win with no posts against decent teams ...and essentially they have no posts.

They’re disproportionately built to depend on Howard, which is well less than ideal. Which leaves them very vulnerable without that piece. Honestly they’re disproportionately built on their entire big three. But they’d be counting on Howard for rim protection, rebounding, post defense AND pick and roll offense. To have only one player who can do that, without her, it’s a pretty big issue.

Especially with Sabrina also hobbled.

The frustrating thing is that WITH Howard this team is probably going to be quite good. Sigh. The Liberty don’t have much luck with injuries to key players.

But they shouldn’t be so overly dependent on one player either.

Last edited by NYL_WNBA_FAN on 06/05/21 8:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 06/05/21 8:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The stats are grim for the Liberty.

Connecticut outrebounded New York 38-22, including 14 to 3 on offensive rebounds. The results: although both teams' field goal percentages were almost identical, Connecticut had 16 more field goal attempts. Although the teams' free throw percentages were almost identical, Connecticut got 13 more free throws. Pretty hard to win if you allow your opposition to shoot 16 more field goal attempts and 13 more free throws!

New York shot 10-27 on three-pointers for a very respectable 40.7%. So if New York had shot 17-27 (63%), it would have been a tie score. Not likely. Smile

PostPosted: 06/05/21 9:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Getting beat by Jonquel Jones: okay, fine, perfectly normal, she's like that, even before factoring in the match-up nightmare

Getting beat by Brionna Jones: okay, fine, she's having a good season, and again, behold our stunning lack of post play

Getting beat by Stephanie Jones: I have not had enough vodka for this.

PostPosted: 06/05/21 9:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Man. No Lib starter scored in double figs. YIKES!!!! Shocked

PostPosted: 06/05/21 9:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Laney's string of 20 point games ended with a thud

PostPosted: 06/05/21 10:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Laney's string of 20 point games ended with a thud

It was a great streak for a player who in 2019, her FOURTH year in the WNBA, averaged a career high of 5.6 points per game. Why look at the negative? I applaud Betnijah Lacey for her dramatic improvement since then and for having one of the best 20-point-per-game streaks in the 25 years of the WNBA.

PostPosted: 06/05/21 10:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It was a notable streak so it's also notable when it ends. Seems like a fair enough thing to mention. Must admit it was one of the things I immediately noticed as well when I got home and looked at the boxscore.

NY had a favourable schedule to start the season, so hopefully the fans won't lose too much enthusiasm if their record starts to level out once the strength of the schedule starts to equalise. The loss of Howard really is huge for this team.

PostPosted: 06/05/21 10:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sabrina is now 99th in the league in FG% at 35.6%. Somewhat bizarrely, she's 14-48 (29%) on 2pt shots and 22-53 (41%) on 3pt shots.
Chip

PostPosted: 06/05/21 11:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

CO-SIGN

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 06/05/21 11:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
It was a notable streak so it's also notable when it ends. Seems like a fair enough thing to mention. Must admit it was one of the things I immediately noticed as well when I got home and looked at the boxscore.

It was indeed a "notable streak." It was notable when it ended and, yes, you're right, "a fair enough thing to mention." But a comment that included not a word of praise for that streak but simply how it "ended with a thud" is what I find downright distasteful.

It's a 32 game regular season. If Betnijah Laney or any other WNBA player scores 20 or more points in 28 of those games, I'd say that's pretty damn good.

PostPosted: 06/06/21 12:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think after 60,000+ posts, people should be familiar enough with pilight's body of work to know that he frequently posts facts without judgement.

If you want the equivalent of praise from him, refer to the poll where he listed Laney as an MVP candidate. In the WNBA, praise doesn't come much higher than that.

PostPosted: 06/06/21 6:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think there’s a lot of salient points in this thread. It’s frustrating to watch a team you want to win get dominated from a size standpoint with relative ease.

But at the same time I think keeping a few things in mind is important. The Liberty reportedly tried to get Nneka in the off-season, I believe. If they had succeeded, and also traded for a healthy Howard, then we wouldn’t be having these convos about size. There’d probably be no Whitcomb, but you’d have Laney and Onyenwere to use at the 2 and 3 spots. And you’d have the two best undersized post defenders in the sport on your team.

The other thing is that I think it’s pretty clear that they are approaching this from more of a long-term standpoint. It’s just that they thought they could build the defensive portion of their system around Howard, and they now can’t. But having her and adding better support pieces next year for depth is likely the culmination of their plan. Plus Onyenwere will add some physical strength in the off-season and be better able to play post defense without getting whistled for a foul every time she tries to do it like she does now.

Last edited by NYL_WNBA_FAN on 06/06/21 7:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: