RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

3X3?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
craigmont

PostPosted: 05/23/21 1:28 pm    ::: 3X3? Reply Reply with quote

Forgive me if this is too negative, but does anyone give a crap about this 3 on 3 tournament that's going on?

Me, I'd rather have these players with their WNBA teams. They are missed.

Maybe let college players or players not in the league do it.

GEF34

PostPosted: 05/23/21 1:48 pm    ::: Re: 3X3? Reply Reply with quote

craigmont wrote:
Forgive me if this is too negative, but does anyone give a crap about this 3 on 3 tournament that's going on?

But isn’t that the reason the USA hasn’t seedy qualified for the Olympics, because they didn’t “care” so to speak so they sent college players and non WNBA players to previous qualifying tournaments. I believe in 2019 is when USA basketball started panicking about not qualifying and literally sent anyone they could to every tournament possible to try to get enough points to qualify for the qualifying tournament.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/23/21 2:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I presume the players involved have been told that they'll likely be the ones who get to go to the Olympics if they qualify, so yes, at least four people give a crap. And that's all they need Wink.

PostPosted: 05/23/21 2:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
I presume the players involved have been told that they'll likely be the ones who get to go to the Olympics if they qualify, so yes, at least four people give a crap. And that's all they need Wink.

For Dolson, Plum, Gray, and Samuelson, a chance to win a Gold medal. Absolutely!

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 05/23/21 3:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

For Dolson, Plum, Gray, and Samuelson, a chance to win a Gold medal. Absolutely!

And I’m sure there’s more than 4 that gave a crap ! The per diem for a gold medalists is magnifico! Cool

PostPosted: 05/30/21 12:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So the American men didn't qualify. That seems bizarre.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 05/30/21 2:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:

I don't know if it's really that bizarre. 3x3 doesn't seem like an event that American males would take seriously. Who did USAB send to represent the men's side?

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
pilight

PostPosted: 05/30/21 2:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:

I don't know if it's really that bizarre. 3x3 doesn't seem like an event that American males would take seriously. Who did USAB send to represent the men's side?

Robbie Hummel
Dominique Jones
Joey King
Kareem Maddox

You'd have to be a pretty serious MBB fan to be familiar with those guys

PostPosted: 05/30/21 2:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Part of the point of 3x3 for FIBA is that it's meant to be super-accessible, and for smaller countries to be able to participate and have a chance to win. So they're probably not too upset that the US are out. There's a whole tour and everything, where Hummel in particular has been very successful, which is presumably how that team was picked (I don't follow it closely enough to know the full decision process without searching). Holland beating them still seemed to be considered a pretty big upset.

But hey, sending an understrength team and getting beat just means that the US are really bringing 3x3 into the fold of their 5-on-5 mens approach.

PostPosted: 06/06/21 12:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Italy vs Hungary for the final spot right now, if anyone's interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3efga8_4MUM

PostPosted: 06/06/21 1:55 pm    ::: Re: 3X3? Reply Reply with quote

craigmont wrote:

That's how I feel about all international competitions - Olympics, World Champ, Eurobasket etc.

I have long thought we should just have a permanent Team USA for international competition - would give players an option other than overseas or the WNBA.

I did find the 3x3 games I watched enjoyable though -21 points, 10 minutes, 12 second clock doesn't give a lot of time for player whining at the ref and the silly crap that goes on in regular games.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 06/06/21 2:02 pm    ::: Re: 3X3? Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
craigmont wrote:

That's how I feel about all international competitions - Olympics, World Champ, Eurobasket etc.

I have long thought we should just have a permanent Team USA for international competition - would give players an option other than overseas or the WNBA.

I did find the 3x3 games I watched enjoyable though -21 points, 10 minutes, 12 second clock doesn't give a lot of time for player whining at the ref and the silly crap that goes on in regular games.

Yup, 3x3 is very viewer-friendly.

I don't mind players missing for international competitions. It's more annoying that a lot of the best WNBA players miss training camp / beginning of the season due to playing overseas.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 06/06/21 3:26 pm    ::: Re: 3X3? Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
craigmont wrote:

I VERY much enjoyed watching the 3 x 3 qualifying games! Hope I'll be able to watch the Olympic games and get rhythmic gymnastics pushed down my throat again. I always think of trained seals when I'm watching it. Most of all: it's NOT NOT NOT a sport!!!

~rAf
calbearman76

PostPosted: 06/06/21 3:38 pm    ::: Re: 3X3? Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:

I VERY much enjoyed watching the 3 x 3 qualifying games! Hope I'll be able to watch the Olympic games and get rhythmic gymnastics pushed down my throat again. I always think of trained seals when I'm watching it. Most of all: it's NOT NOT NOT a sport!!!

Not a sport!!!! Next you'll tell me that synchronized swimming is not a sport (the seals are much better at that. Very Happy Very Happy

Randy

PostPosted: 06/06/21 4:53 pm    ::: Re: 3X3? Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:

Not a sport!!!! Next you'll tell me that synchronized swimming is not a sport (the seals are much better at that. Very Happy Very Happy

The Olympics are all of the "sports" no one cares about except for 2 weeks every 4 years.....

myrtle

PostPosted: 06/06/21 5:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think 3x3 is also perhaps more interesting to the casual watcher because there are fewer players to have to figure out who is who.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 06/06/21 6:48 pm    ::: Re: 3X3? Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
craigmont wrote:

Nationalism! Fuck yeah!

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 06/06/21 6:53 pm    ::: Re: 3X3? Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
The Olympics are all of the "sports" no one cares about except for 2 weeks every 4 years.....

I care a hell of a lot more about a lot of those "sports" than I do about American football, baseball, hockey, etc. I watch Athletics (read: Track and Field) and swimming events, on a semi-regular basis, and would watch a hell of a lot more handball, archery and weightlifting, if it were more easily made available/accessible.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 06/06/21 8:16 pm    ::: Re: 3X3? Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
Randy wrote:

I care a hell of a lot more about a lot of those "sports" than I do about American football, baseball, hockey, etc. I watch Athletics (read: Track and Field) and swimming events, on a semi-regular basis, and would watch a hell of a lot more handball, archery and weightlifting, if it were more easily made available/accessible.

I fully agree with Silky especially for track and field, which as a former sprinter and broad (now long) jumper is my favorite sport to watch. Did anyone see the amazing 10.63 run by 34 year-old Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce yesterday?
Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 06/06/21 8:24 pm    ::: Re: 3X3? Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
Randy wrote:

I fully agree with Silky especially for track and field, which as a former sprinter and broad (now long) jumper is my favorite sport to watch. Did anyone see the amazing 10.63 run by 34 year-old Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce yesterday?

Yo, she dusted that race! Beat second place by .3 seconds.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 06/06/21 8:35 pm    ::: Re: 3X3? Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
Randy wrote:

Now the second fastest woman in history after 1988 FloJo's mind-boggling 10.49.
ClayK

PostPosted: 06/07/21 9:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I love the Olympics. I love the weird sports. I love rhythmic gymnastics. I love kayaking. Whatever's on, I'll watch.

And in another thread there was talk of "world" champions. The only "world" championship is the Olympics ...

PostPosted: 06/07/21 10:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
And in another thread there was talk of "world" champions. The only "world" championship is the Olympics ...

Except that there's also, y'know, the World Championships.

PostPosted: 06/07/21 10:40 am    ::: Re: 3X3? Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
Randy wrote:

Now the second fastest woman in history after 1988 FloJo's mind-boggling 10.49.

Maybe someone will finally break that record Shocked

Meanwhile I’m looking forward to an Olympic matchup between Shelly-Ann and Sha’Carri Richardson!

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 06/07/21 10:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
I love the Olympics. I love the weird sports. I love rhythmic gymnastics. I love kayaking. Whatever's on, I'll watch.

I love the Olympics as well, favorite events to watch are Track & Field, Swimming, & Artistic Gymnastics, however I will still watch the other lesser known events.

I’ve heard the NBA champ constantly referred to as World Champions, even though as Richyyy pointed out there’s an *actual* world championship Laughing Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: