RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

WNBA Dissected - Finals analysis
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
craigmont

PostPosted: 07/08/21 2:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd really love to know (and we may never find out) whose idea it was for the Storm to sign Dupree, and what the hell they were thinking.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 07/08/21 3:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
As a Liberty fan who's never warmed to Jazmine Jones, I am beginning to come around and have to agree with your view of her. But one thing that must be noted: as you've said, Jones is terrific at slashing to the rim. She's also awful at converting layups, even open layups. But hopefully she can sort that out over time.

Yeah, WNBA.com has her at 16-48 on layups this season, which is awful. Also way worse that last year, when she finished 38-72, which is weird, but also hopefully suggests she should at least bounce back towards 50%.

PostPosted: 07/08/21 3:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:
As a Liberty fan who's never warmed to Jazmine Jones, I am beginning to come around and have to agree with your view of her. But one thing that must be noted: as you've said, Jones is terrific at slashing to the rim. She's also awful at converting layups, even open layups. But hopefully she can sort that out over time.

Yeah, WNBA.com has her at 16-48 on layups this season, which is awful. Also way worse that last year, when she finished 38-72, which is weird, but also hopefully suggests she should at least bounce back towards 50%.

As a Liberty fan, there's an awful deja vu here. Brittany Boyd had some of the same great qualities as Jazmine Jones. Her blazing speed and moves often allowed her to get a terrific path to the rim. Where she'd so often miss the layup! Smile

Thanks for these stats on Jones. 38 for 72 doesn't seem very good on layups. 16 for 48 is just ridiculous. But given the very positive impact she can have both on and off the court, as you've well described--I'm going to hope she can figure out how to find a moment of internal calm just as she's about to actually shoot the layup!

PostPosted: 07/08/21 3:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
38 for 72 doesn't seem very good on layups

It's below average, but not by as much as you might think

PostPosted: 07/08/21 5:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy--I've just subscribed. Should have done this long ago. Your work is outstanding, a great contribution to your readers and to this board. Thank you.

PostPosted: 07/08/21 5:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:
38 for 72 doesn't seem very good on layups

It's below average, but not by as much as you might think

If you have a league average for this season (or other seasons), I'd be very interested in seeing it. I wasn't assuming that since these are layups it's 96%, but 38 out of 72 (53% for Jones in 2020) didn't seem good and 16 for 48 (33% for Jones so far this season) seems dreadful.

PostPosted: 07/09/21 10:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Enjoyed the podcast. Definitely some funny moments, Katie Lou and UConn Laughing Laughing Laughing very true!

Richyyy

PostPosted: 07/16/21 11:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words on last week's edition, people.

Week 9 is out: WNBA Dissected: FIBA say no to Nigeria and more from Week 9: https://herhoopstats.substack.com/p/wnba-dissected-week9-nneka-olympics-allstar
Quote:
After a decade of playing for one country, you shouldn’t be able to just run off to someone else when they've decided you don't make the team any more. That's not discrimination or unfairness - it's the rules, and an effort to stay fair to everyone else.

PostPosted: 08/12/21 10:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

To welcome back the season, and with the trade deadline only nine days away, I made up a bunch of possible trades - WNBA Dissected: Fake Trade Special: https://herhoopstats.substack.com/p/wnba-dissected-fake-trade-special

For example...
Quote:
Proposal #5: Washington Mystics trade Myisha Hines-Allen to the Atlanta Dream for Chennedy Carter

PostPosted: 08/12/21 11:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like the Carter trade better than the Billings trade. Each day that goes by w/o Carter being reinstated makes it seem more like she is going elsewhere. Question is whether Thibault is willing to take on a problem player.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/13/21 2:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
I like the Carter trade better than the Billings trade. Each day that goes by w/o Carter being reinstated makes it seem more like she is going elsewhere. Question is whether Thibault is willing to take on a problem player.

For a player that they could easily lose for nothing in the offseason, I think it's a gamble they'd have to take if it was on offer (unless they're hearing really, really bad stuff about Carter). I tend to feel Atlanta would be the more likely team to say no, even if Hines-Allen was the best player anyone was offering.

PostPosted: 08/13/21 3:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Randy wrote:

For a player that they could easily lose for nothing in the offseason, I think it's a gamble they'd have to take if it was on offer (unless they're hearing really, really bad stuff about Carter). I tend to feel Atlanta would be the more likely team to say no, even if Hines-Allen was the best player anyone was offering.

Picking fights with teammates and refusing to enter a game seems pretty bad to me, but coaches always seem to think they can fix players. It does seem Hines-Allen is the best deal the Dream could hope for.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 08/13/21 5:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As a Mystics fan, I don't want Carter and I don't think Coach T will do this. He's one of the coaches who has a deep understanding of how team chemistry contributes to success and would not risk blowing up the team.

It does not matter how many buckets you make, if you're a complete ahole, you're a bet minus to the team.

~rAf
Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/27/21 8:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

New column out covering the unfairness of the WNBA playoff system and how it might be fixed, whether teams have any real chance to make a run from a lower seed anyway, how we might create more trade activity, and more - WNBA Dissected: Playoffs? We're talking playoffs? Plus more from 2021 Week 10: https://herhoopstats.substack.com/p/wnba-dissected-week10-playoffs-trades-january

PostPosted: 08/27/21 12:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like the shout out to January. Have always enjoyed watching her play.
As for the playoffs, yeah those top three spots this year serve to make your point. I like the idea of two less regular season games in order to make the playoffs more of a playoff rather than one and done. It helps to alleviate the issue of a bottom team becoming the beneficiary of a mid-level player having the game of her entire career.- when Riquana Williams scored 50 for example.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 08/27/21 3:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The League could turn both the second single-elimination round and the semifinals into best-of-3 series. It wouldn't change the potential maximum number of total playoff games, and give that much more hype to the Finals as the only best-of-5 series.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 08/27/21 4:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
The League could turn both the second single-elimination round and the semifinals into best-of-3 series. It wouldn't change the potential maximum number of total playoff games, and give that much more hype to the Finals as the only best-of-5 series.

That is a good idea 💡!❤️

PostPosted: 08/27/21 11:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I like the shout out to January. Have always enjoyed watching her play.
As for the playoffs, yeah those top three spots this year serve to make your point. I like the idea of two less regular season games in order to make the playoffs more of a playoff rather than one and done. It helps to alleviate the issue of a bottom team becoming the beneficiary of a mid-level player having the game of her entire career.- when Riquana Williams scored 50 for example.

or like Kahleah Copper tonight...

Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/02/21 11:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

New edition covering how Teaira McCowan might be better than we think, the lottery 'race', the technical foul leaderboard, how WNBA 8-second violations are different from NBA ones, the Storm, Brianna Turner, and more.

WNBA Dissected: Tanks, techs and secs, plus more from 2021 Week 11: https://herhoopstats.substack.com/p/wnba-dissected-week11-mccowan-lottery-technicals

PostPosted: 09/03/21 11:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks Richyyy. Really appreciate your explanations and insights.
McCowan is indeed a bit of an enigma. The immobility defensively seems to be the main problem, but yeah, it seems like a coach would find a way to use her more effectively...and come up with a defensive scheme that could cover up her liabilities in that area. It's not like Cambage is all that mobile either, so maybe take a look at how she is used. Of course it helps. at least on offense, that Cambage has pretty darn good players around her that are mostly all scoring threats. But defensively, you don't usually see Cambage anywhere except within proximity to the key.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/03/21 8:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cambage is also the rare example of someone who's incredibly valuable despite limited minutes, which is relevant to McCowan as well. I don't think Cambage is winning any MVP awards playing under 25mpg like she is this season, but she'll still help you win a lot of games. If McCowan could evolve into that future employers would still be pretty happy.

PostPosted: 09/03/21 9:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd love to see McCowan on a team surrounded by more than one shooter. I don't watch the Fever team very closely, but maybe if she had more space to work with around the basket, she'd be more effective offensively.

Has she developed any sort of post moves? Or does she mostly get her points from either putbacks or open shots set up by the perimeter players?

And then there's Kalani Brown, who is as big & as young as McCowan and at least has a decent jump shot but is out of the League... I guess one could say I'd like to see her on a different team in the League, too.

myrtle

PostPosted: 09/03/21 9:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:

Has she developed any sort of post moves? Or does she mostly get her points from either putbacks or open shots set up by the perimeter players?

I saw her make a post move....once, and it was so shocking I noted it. Mostly it's putbacks or layups. But really she's so big, she doesn't need a lot of moves. She just needs to get the ball up high, close enough to the basket and most teams can't defend her size. I think her hands are reasonably good so she can catch passes if they're reasonably well thrown. I do think that with the right coach and teammates she could be more useful.

pilight

PostPosted: 09/03/21 9:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
I don't think Cambage is winning any MVP awards playing under 25mpg like she is this season, but she'll still help you win a lot of games

You have only to look at last season for proof of that. The league leader in PER, who started every game for the team with the best record in the league, not only didn't win MVP she didn't receive a single vote. She played under 25 minutes per game.

PostPosted: 09/09/21 4:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This week, got into the Top 25 list (both picks and how the WNBA mishandled the whole thing), the GOATVote and its adorable hashflag, choices for the Lynx with Dantas out, the awful rookie class, the 'reckless closeout' and how inconsistently it's been officiated, and the possibility of any veteran contract extensions before the end of the season.

WNBA Dissected: Goats and lynxes and rooks, oh my! Plus more from 2021 Week 12: https://herhoopstats.substack.com/p/wnba-dissected-week12-w25-goat-lynx-extensions

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: