RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2021 WNBA Opening-Day Rosters: Details and Explanations

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/14/21 8:34 am    ::: 2021 WNBA Opening-Day Rosters: Details and Explanations Reply Reply with quote

Tried to explain everything that happened yesterday, along with (obviously) details on who's in and who didn't quite make it: https://herhoopstats.substack.com/p/2021-wnba-opening-day-rosters-explained

PostPosted: 05/14/21 9:38 am    ::: Re: 2021 WNBA Opening-Day Rosters: Details and Explanations Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Tried to explain everything that happened yesterday, along with (obviously) details on who's in and who didn't quite make it: https://herhoopstats.substack.com/p/2021-wnba-opening-day-rosters-explained

This is great, as always. Thank you so much for putting it together and linking here. I wasn't able to follow along the last couple of days, so this is invaluable for understanding where we are to start the season.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/14/21 3:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words, as always.

My weekly column is currently scheduled to come out on Fridays this season, just in case anyone out there cares Wink.

PostPosted: 05/14/21 3:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

THANK YOU. This is really a service to many of us. Greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: 05/14/21 4:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

? about this
Quote:
The Wings have just enough cap room to add a 14th player if they wish, and it could even be Gustafson, assuming she clears waivers (although in her case they'd have to wait until the 10th day of the season, due to rules about re-signing players a team previously released).

Since other teams are immediately signing players as hardship when they clear waivers, I assume you mean she would have to wait in order to get an ordinary contract rather than hardship?

and one more:
Once Vadeeva shows up, will LA be able to keep 12 or will they have to cut one more?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/14/21 4:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
? about this
Quote:
The Wings have just enough cap room to add a 14th player if they wish, and it could even be Gustafson, assuming she clears waivers (although in her case they'd have to wait until the 10th day of the season, due to rules about re-signing players a team previously released).

Since other teams are immediately signing players as hardship when they clear waivers, I assume you mean she would have to wait in order to get an ordinary contract rather than hardship?

Yeah, signing players via a hardship exception allows you to ignore that rule. Because Dallas would be signing someone to a standard contract (they'd be using cap space, rather than an exception), the rule would apply.

Of course, by the time we're ten days in they're probably hoping that Kuier has arrived, so the option would be redundant.

PostPosted: 05/14/21 4:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
myrtle wrote:
? about this
Quote:

Yeah, signing players via a hardship exception allows you to ignore that rule. Because Dallas would be signing someone to a standard contract (they'd be using cap space, rather than an exception), the rule would apply.

Of course, by the time we're ten days in they're probably hoping that Kuier has arrived, so the option would be redundant.

but they could sign someone else right away, like Anigwe or Warley Talbert or some other recently released post from another team?

And adding my thanks to your work. very helpful.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 05/14/21 4:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Thanks for the kind words, as always.

My weekly column is currently scheduled to come out on Fridays this season, just in case anyone out there cares Wink.

You and Pilight are the best. I appreciate both of you 100 percent. Very Happy

PostPosted: 05/14/21 4:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
but they could sign someone else right away, like Anigwe or Warley Talbert or some other recently released post from another team?

Oh absolutely, yes. It's only about re-signing players you've waived yourselves. Same rule that applied back when Phoenix waived Leilani Mitchell in camp so that they could re-sign her slightly cheaper and fit her under the cap - they had to wait 10 days.

myrtle wrote:
and one more:
Once Vadeeva shows up, will LA be able to keep 12 or will they have to cut one more?

Vadeeva's salary already counts as one of the 12 they're fitting under the cap, so in cap terms nothing gets any more expensive when she arrives. So no, there's no need to cut anyone when she shows up.

PostPosted: 05/15/21 11:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One of my interpretations of various statements from Iliana Rupert and the fact that she has not signed her contract yet is that there is a possibility that she and Las Vegas agreed to leave open the option of signing the contract in time for her to join the team after the Olympics when she is available to play, avoiding the need for a temporary suspension. It looks like that could still be in play, but I wonder how that would play out if visas are still taking time to process in a few months.
Shades

PostPosted: 05/16/21 2:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:
One of my interpretations of various statements from Iliana Rupert and the fact that she has not signed her contract yet is that there is a possibility that she and Las Vegas agreed to leave open the option of signing the contract in time for her to join the team after the Olympics when she is available to play, avoiding the need for a temporary suspension. It looks like that could still be in play, but I wonder how that would play out if visas are still taking time to process in a few months.

Unless she demands to play this season, I find it hard to believe that they’d want her to come after the Olympics. They were playing with 11, and the McCoughtry injury brings them down to 10 active. Being title contenders, you would think they’d want to keep all 10 players with experience with their system just in case another injury happens.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 05/18/21 12:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is there a resource that is reporting on all the late arrivals, 3x3 absences, delays due to covid testing, etc? Question Idea

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: