K.Williams - Seattle
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
U.Thompson - Indiana
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 56

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/15/21 8:07 pm    ::: Highest Pick who won't make a roster Reply Reply with quote

whatcha got?

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/15/21 8:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Watts and Wilson as first round picks are total head shakers. It's almost like they wanted players who couldn't possibly compete for a roster spot. But wouldn't you usually pick that type sometime after the middle of the second round?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/15/21 8:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Can you imagine just how bad Gondrezick would have to be in camp for Indiana to swallow the embarrassment of cutting the #4 pick? I think that's virtually impossible. If she showed up and was unable to dribble the ball twice in a row they'd still keep her on the end of the bench for a year.

I picked Watts.

PostPosted: 04/15/21 8:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wasn't Wilson traded to Indiana?

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/15/21 8:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
Wasn't Wilson traded to Indiana?

yes. I just put who drafted her to shame them. Laughing But actually the trade was probably already arranged so it really should be on Catchings.

Still: Shocked Shocked Shocked

DFWub2018

PostPosted: 04/17/21 8:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Can you imagine just how bad Gondrezick would have to be in camp for Indiana to swallow the embarrassment of cutting the #4 pick? I think that's virtually impossible. If she showed up and was unable to dribble the ball twice in a row they'd still keep her on the end of the bench for a year.

I picked Watts.

"Was unable to dribble the ball twice in a row!"....I'm dead, I can't 😂😂😂

Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/17/21 9:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

While most everyone (including myself) picked Stephanie Watts, there seems to be a chance that this honor could go to her fellow Sparks draftee Jasmine Walker. I don't know if I see a spot for her in the group of posts. There's Ogwumike x2 and Zahui B., then Anigwe who I highly doubt will be getting cut seeing as Fisher played her more towards the end of last season (and started her in their lone playoff game), and then Vadeeva who even if she's not available until August probably will count against the salary cap for the whole season, thus effectively taking up a roster spot the entire time. IMO it would be better for Walker if Derek Fisher thought of her as a SF like some on reb's do, since the Sparks are a lot less clear-cut at the 3 spot in particular. Coffey's not likely to make this team, and TRP is probably past her expiration date in the League seeing as her offense has never been good. Do I think Walker's a SF? No, but it's better to stick on a roster playing a bit out of position than to be cut.

ucbart

PostPosted: 04/17/21 10:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

I picked Watts.

I've watched Watts quite a few times. I think she is a good player who suffered from being on a team without a good PG. She is athletic and can shoot. You may be right, but I am rooting for her.

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/17/21 10:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I only saw Walker a couple of times, but in those games I thought she played a lot on the wing, so yeah, I'm one who thinks of her as a SF. But my visual of her was very limited so take it with a grain of salt.

root_thing

PostPosted: 04/17/21 10:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Physically, Walker reminds me of Kiah Stokes. She'd be able to post-up any normal SF as well as shoot 3s. However, I don't think Jasmine is quick enough to defend against most SFs and she wouldn't be much help with the ballhandling.

PostPosted: 04/17/21 10:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

I picked Watts.

I've watched Watts quite a few times. I think she is a good player who suffered from being on a team without a good PG. She is athletic and can shoot. You may be right, but I am rooting for her.

I don't think I've ever seen Watts play, so that was based purely on the pre-draft mock consensus and LA's fairly crowded roster. For all I know Watts is great, but the stats aren't particularly impressive and no one on the outside seemed to like her much pre-draft.

After giving up next year's first to get the #7, I'd be shocked if they cut the player that they then took with that pick (Walker). Cutting the #10 would be far less embarrassing. Then it's "See! We had to get up to #7 in order to grab a player good enough to make our roster!"

PostPosted: 04/18/21 12:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Watts as a 1st rounder is problematic in a number of ways:

A) She has battled injuries throughout her career. She missed the tail-end of her 2nd year, all of her 3rd year, and the vast majority of her one year at Southern Cal (2019-2020 – which allowed her to compete an extra season this past season).

B) Because her injuries extended her eligibility limits, she's old for a prospect – she was part of the 2015 recruiting class (a 5-star recruit), and I believe she turned 24 just a few days ago.

C) She is known for being a 3PT shooter, but at least at UNC, her career average is only 32%. Her best season from downtown was 2018-2019, shooting 37%. Nearly 60% of her career shot attempts were from 3. If this is her role in the W, she's going to be shooting herself out of a job.

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/18/21 11:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One more thing on Watts: The best ability is availability ...

PostPosted: 04/21/21 1:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think they will all make it. As interesting/questionable as some of these picks were GMS don't want to be in the realm of "I told you so or that's what you get". If someone looks wonky they'll swallow the pill at least for this season and role with said player(s).

RavenDog

PostPosted: 04/21/21 11:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Watts the question? Oh, wait, I get it...

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 05/13/21 3:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ATM it is looking like Mack might win this dubious honor

If she is picked up off the waiver wire and Walker and K. Williams survive (jury is still out in LA and Seattle) it will be U. Thompson

top 4 vote getters

Watts, Wilson, Slocum and Richards have all made it to opening day

pilight

PostPosted: 05/13/21 3:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rupert and Carrera never signed. Not sure how you want to count that.

PostPosted: 05/13/21 3:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Rupert and Carrera never signed. Not sure how you want to count that.

I think for the poll's sake only players who showed up to camp count.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 05/13/21 4:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
Watts the question? Oh, wait, I get it...

Wade in Chicago.

PostPosted: 05/13/21 5:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Looks like 19 rookies made it to opening day: 11 first rounders, six second rounders, one third rounder, and one undrafted

Last edited by pilight on 05/16/21 2:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
undersized_post

PostPosted: 05/13/21 8:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Looks like 19 rookies made it to opening day: 11 first rounders, sic second rounders, one third rounder, and one undrafted

Sorry I just can't keep track--I'm interested who the third rounder and undrafted player are?

myrtle

PostPosted: 05/13/21 9:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Chelsea Perry is the third rounder.

pilight

PostPosted: 05/13/21 9:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
pilight wrote:
Looks like 19 rookies made it to opening day: 11 first rounders, sic second rounders, one third rounder, and one undrafted

Sorry I just can't keep track--I'm interested who the third rounder and undrafted player are?

Chelsea Perry and Stephanie Jones

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: