RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Do certain WNBA coaches favor particular colleges?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
blue crabs & basketba

PostPosted: 09/21/21 9:00 am    ::: Do certain WNBA coaches favor particular colleges? Reply Reply with quote

Whether current or past, have you noticed if a WNBA coach stacks a team with players from particular schools? Obviously Curt Miller likes his Maryland players, but what about the rest? Who likes South Carolina, Notre Dame, Baylor, Stanford, Louisville, etc?

adamj95

PostPosted: 09/21/21 9:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Reeve likes her Uconn players.

PostPosted: 09/21/21 12:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When Mike Thibault was coaching the CT Sun, there were lots of UConn players. But I'm not sure if that was Mike's doing or the Sun's then-GM, Chris Sienko. Or the fan base.

PostPosted: 09/21/21 1:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
When Mike Thibault was coaching the CT Sun, there were lots of UConn players. But I'm not sure if that was Mike's doing or the Sun's then-GM, Chris Sienko. Or the fan base.

T-Bone had some Hussies his first couple of years in Washington, but hasn't really since trading away Dolson and Hartley after 2016

PostPosted: 09/21/21 4:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
StevenHW wrote:

T-Bone had some Hussies his first couple of years in Washington, but hasn't really since trading away Dolson and Hartley after 2016

Except, you know, Tina Charles.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 09/24/21 11:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm surprised Liberty fans didn't mention Louisville here. Durr, Shook, Jones. Asia Taylor was in the Liberty's training camp. Some of us were ready to bet on the Liberty taking Dana Evans in the Draft. And it really doesn't apply here, but Sh*ni Sch*mmel was on the roster several years ago now.

If there's any player several people want the front office to get obsessed with acquiring who happens to be a Louisville alum, it's Myisha Hines-Allen. And while we're at it – just for shits & gigs – Angel McCoughtry will be a free agent as well.

Queenie

PostPosted: 09/24/21 11:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
I'm surprised Liberty fans didn't mention Louisville here. Durr, Shook, Jones. Asia Taylor was in the Liberty's training camp. Some of us were ready to bet on the Liberty taking Dana Evans in the Draft. And it really doesn't apply here, but Sh*ni Sch*mmel was on the roster several years ago now.

If there's any player several people want the front office to get obsessed with acquiring who happens to be a Louisville alum, it's Myisha Hines-Allen. And while we're at it – just for shits & gigs – Angel McCoughtry will be a free agent as well.

I would have traumatized a hapless stuffed animal if we'd taken *another* Louisville guard in the draft. As it is, I'm not convinced our brain trust did anything other than scout the ACC leading up to last year's draft.

PostPosted: 09/24/21 11:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

I would have traumatized a hapless stuffed animal if we'd taken *another* Louisville guard in the draft. As it is, I'm not convinced our brain trust did anything other than scout the ACC leading up to last year's draft.

Well, as it is now, aside from the international players, there are several Pac-12 players on the roster – several players with west-coast ties in general – as well as a solid dosage of the ACC.

Maybe they're getting obsessed with the Pac-12 in general next. 🤔

ucbart

PostPosted: 09/25/21 9:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Curt Miller certainly likes Maryland players and they do very well by him.

myrtle

PostPosted: 09/25/21 10:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Catchings seems to focus on players in the SEC and those she sees in her tv gig.

Shades

PostPosted: 09/25/21 11:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Catchings seems to focus on players in the SEC and those she sees in her tv gig.

That should work in her favor since the next two #1 picks are coming from the SEC.

WVU is in the Big 12, btw.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
root_thing

PostPosted: 09/25/21 8:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:

If there's any player several people want the front office to get obsessed with acquiring who happens to be a Louisville alum, it's Myisha Hines-Allen.

I wouldn't say that this is necessarily what Liberty fans want as much as it's something we think management might do that we'd find acceptable. I believe I was the first one to bring up MHA's name. I can tell you it's not my first choice of moves, but on paper it seems to check all the boxes:

1) MHA is 6-1 and fairly quick for a 200 lb player. She'd be a nice fit for Hopkins' defensive system and would be an upgrade as a rebounder.

2) Myisha has enough perimeter skills to also fit nicely into their "positionless" offfensive system.

3) It looks like Hines-Allen will be available because of DC's cap problems.

4) Hines-Allen fits NY management's preferred personality profile. She is a self-improved player who persevered and turned herself into a high-quality performer. Look at Howard, Laney, and Whitcomb -- all players who kicked around a bit before finally breaking through.

5) Hines-Allen is a local NY metropolitan area product. She grew up a Liberty fan, so it's likely that she'd be happy to return home.

6) The aforementioned Louisville teammates should also make MHA look more favorably upon a move to Brooklyn.

So, it's just a lot of factors adding up that make this a higher probability move than most. But who knows if Liberty management is even interested. Our boy geniuses are full of surprises.

PostPosted: 09/26/21 9:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

adamj95 wrote:
Reeve likes her Uconn players.

She also currently has 3 Notre Dame players. Has she been known in the past to like players from the Irish?

mercfan

PostPosted: 09/26/21 2:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I feel like some colleges can recruit and train better players. I don’t think it’s favoring as much as some players are just more prepared.

Speebs56

PostPosted: 09/27/21 1:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan wrote:
I feel like some colleges can recruit and train better players. I don’t think it’s favoring as much as some players are just more prepared.

I know Reeve has said that she knows players out of UCONN come into WNBA ready to go, that Geno has prepared them for the pro level. Clearly, that ALSO requires talent/skills, as there are plenty of UCONN players who never really made a go in the WNBA: Ann Strother, Kelly Faris, Jessica Moore, Barb Turner, among others. They played some in the league, but never really stuck.

myrtle

PostPosted: 09/27/21 2:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
myrtle wrote:

That should work in her favor since the next two #1 picks are coming from the SEC.

WVU is in the Big 12, btw.

that's partially why I put in the "and" - thought I remembered her doing a WVU game, and other B12 teams, but don't remember when or why, perhaps as part of her ESPN gig or maybe just when they played SEC teams.

thardy929

PostPosted: 09/27/21 3:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Dream have often given Lady Vols a try, in training camp if nothing else, though few seem to have stuck: Cierra Burdick, Meighan Simmons, Ariel Massengale, Jordan Reynolds, Meme Jackson, Glory Johnson, Shekinna Stricklen, even Michelle Snow and Chamique Holdsclaw for a season together.

Shades

PostPosted: 09/27/21 3:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Catchings is with the SEC Network. She covered a ton of Arkansas games.
https://espnpressroom.com/us/bios/tamika-catchings/

There’s a Big 12/SEC Challange. WVU beat Tennessee in OT last year.
Gondrezick with 27 pts, 5 ast in 45 min.
https://wvusports.com/sports/womens-basketball/stats/2020-21/tennessee/boxscore/17811

If you have ESPN+, you can check to see if Catchings was on this game. It’s her alma mater, so maybe so.
https://www.espn.com/watch/roadblock?id=b1716c55-1ade-49a4-9c0b-18dec494aa3b

I think it might have been the interview that sold Catchings. Gondrezick is very good at selling herself, unlike some of these players who aren’t very talkative.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: