RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2021-2022 Bracketology
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
undersized_post

PostPosted: 04/27/21 11:47 am    ::: 2021-2022 Bracketology Reply Reply with quote

As meaningless as this is at this point, might as well post it for discussion anyway. Very Happy

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/bracketology

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/27/21 12:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

we don't even know what their rosters will look like at this point. Just throw darts at the board and see where they land.

And1

PostPosted: 04/27/21 12:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why did Creme even bother to do this at this point? There are too many unanswered questions. Updated today and he has Baylor as a #1 seed? Yeah, right.

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/27/21 12:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And1 wrote:
Why did Creme even bother to do this at this point?

He's bored and needs to do something to justify his salary?

ucbart

PostPosted: 04/27/21 12:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
And1 wrote:

I don't understand why this, and the way too early top-25, is complained about so much? Everyone bitches that women's basketball doesn't get enough coverage, and when it does, everyone bitches about that too. I love all the WCBB info I can get. It keeps interest up and that can't hurt. This is done in every major sport.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 04/27/21 12:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I mean, really? With over 550 players still in the transfer portal (with more to come after these coaching changes?), this is even more meaningless than usual.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 04/27/21 1:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
myrtle wrote:
And1 wrote:

I don't understand why this, and the way too early top-25, is complained about so much? Everyone bitches that women's basketball doesn't get enough coverage, and when it does, everyone bitches about that too. I love all the WCBB info I can get. It keeps interest up and that can't hurt. This is done in every major sport.

I didn't like the precise timing of the "too early top-25." (Did a picture of Paige Bueckers really need to be the headline on the ESPN WBB page on championship night?)

That said, I agree with you ucbart! Fans are thinking about it, so why not publish something about it? Of course things are still in flux -- but it's not like we don't already know who the top contenders are. Transfers will definitely shake things up, but only to a certain extent, even as drastic as things seem right now.

What cracks me up is the cute little match-ups Charlie always manages to come up with. For example, a UConn/Arizona rematch in the second round Laughing Why not put LSU as a "last four in" 10-seed, put Baylor as a 2-seed, and have Mulkey meet her former employer in the second round as well??? Laughing Laughing Laughing

Last edited by undersized_post on 04/27/21 1:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Durantula

PostPosted: 04/27/21 1:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
I mean, really? With over 550 players still in the transfer portal (with more to come after these coaching changes?), this is even more meaningless than usual.

This is easy to do and can just throw stuff at the wall and see what sticks, none of it will matter because rosters are in such flux. Real coverage would actually take more effort, like interviewing a player or coach. How about interviewing one of the new head coaches to see how the transition to their new program is doing? Or interview a player who may be a breakout candidate to see what they are up to this offseason in order to improve?

undersized_post

PostPosted: 04/27/21 1:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:

This is easy to do and can just throw stuff at the wall and see what sticks, none of it will matter because rosters are in such flux. Real coverage would actually take more effort, like interviewing a player or coach. How about interviewing one of the new head coaches to see how the transition to their new program is doing? Or interview a player who may be a breakout candidate to see what they are up to this offseason in order to improve?

This is a good point, too.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 04/27/21 1:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:

That has long been my feeling as well. And this year would be perfect with the transfer portal being filled to the rim, the "super-senior" athletes we will have next year, the off-campus recruiting restrictions being lifted as of June 1st, the current budget/financial situation schools are finding themselves in, etc. There is no shortage of interesting topics to ask coaches about right now.

In addition, interview current student-athletes about various issues ("super-seniors", post NCAA Tournament thoughts, post season workouts, hoping for a return to normal, concerned about travel upcoming season, etc). Hell, they could talk about all sorts of different things.

Sure, people like talking about NCAA Tournament and the bubble and all that, but post that article in a few weeks when more of the dust has settled.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/27/21 1:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
myrtle wrote:
And1 wrote:

I'm pretty sure every sports fandom complains about the pointlessness of it too

PostPosted: 04/27/21 1:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:

This is easy to do and can just throw stuff at the wall and see what sticks
, none of it will matter because rosters are in such flux. Real coverage would actually take more effort, like interviewing a player or coach. How about interviewing one of the new head coaches to see how the transition to their new program is doing? Or interview a player who may be a breakout candidate to see what they are up to this offseason in order to improve?

Exactly. This isn't journalistic effort. It isn't providing information or analysis. It's just Creme sitting in his kitchen making up speculative stuff.
willtalk

PostPosted: 04/27/21 1:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:

The did exactly the same sort of thing when the claimed to be covering the NCAA brackets when the first came out. Spent the entire program twice covering nothing but Di Di Richards rehab which they had done in depth right after it first happened. All they did was repeat old human interest stories they had already don in the past instead of talking about the actual matchups in detail. Of course that would have required some new research. and analytical effort. They just filled in the time with old news but advertised the program as matchup analysis to get people to tune in.

PostPosted: 04/27/21 2:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
myrtle wrote:
And1 wrote:

There are far more interesting stories that could be written to increase women's basketball coverage than wasting time with a meaningless 2022 bracket. It's garbage.

linkster

PostPosted: 04/27/21 3:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
ucbart wrote:
myrtle wrote:
And1 wrote:

I didn't like the precise timing of the "too early top-25." (Did a picture of Paige Bueckers really need to be the headline on the ESPN WBB page on championship night?)

That said, I agree with you ucbart! Fans are thinking about it, so why not publish something about it? Of course things are still in flux -- but it's not like we don't already know who the top contenders are. Transfers will definitely shake things up, but only to a certain extent, even as drastic as things seem right now.

What cracks me up is the cute little match-ups Charlie always manages to come up with. For example, a UConn/Arizona rematch in the second round Laughing Why not put LSU as a "last four in" 10-seed, put Baylor as a 2-seed, and have Mulkey meet her former employer in the second round as well??? Laughing Laughing Laughing

Why? because UConn fans read his articles. Click click click.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/27/21 4:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nah, because he's Charlie Creme and he has to justify his existence. Is that even his real name?

PostPosted: 04/27/21 10:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’ll take two #2 seeds and two #3 seeds from the B1G, thanks!

Charlie’s a pharmaceutical rep who does this gig on the side. He’s been doing it for 15-16 years and is paid to project what the NCAA selection committee is going to do. He’s very good at it based on how well his final brackets compare to the selection. I can’t understand why people get so upset with him.

Last edited by mzonefan on 04/28/21 6:30 am; edited 1 time in total
linkster

PostPosted: 04/27/21 10:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UConn's last six losses have been to:
Arizona
Arkansas
South Carolina
Oregon
Baylor
Notre Dame

S Carolina & Baylor are other 1 seeds but the other 4 are all in UConn's region. Who thinks that was just coincidence? Like I said, click bait.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/28/21 9:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:

Charlie’s a pharmaceutical rep who does this gig on the side. He’s been doing it for 15-16 years and is paid to project what the NCAA selection committee is going to do. He’s very good at it based on how well his final brackets compare to the selection. I can’t understand why people get so upset with him.

He can stick to his day job. I don't think he's all that great.

PostPosted: 04/28/21 9:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
He’s very good at it based on how well his final brackets compare to the selection. I can’t understand why people get so upset with him.

Gee, I wonder if the selection committee doing its Top 16 reveal has anything to do with that. 🤔

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Durantula

PostPosted: 04/28/21 10:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:

I think he's fine at what he does, but ESPN shouldn't just be relying on this as an easy out for providing offseason coverage when there are no actual hard news stories. The worst part about these brackets is you can't even go back and see the prior ones, it only shows the newest ones so the content is very light on reading and also ability to look back and see this stuff later. All you do is read to see where your team is and move on. I'd like to actually read an article.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 04/28/21 12:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
myrtle wrote:
And1 wrote:

WBB fans complain about the lack of coverage or not the right kind of coverage or treating WBB as a second-tier sport.

So when ESPN treats it in the same way it covers men's college basketball (e.g., way too early top 25, bracketology, etc.), WBB fans naturally complain.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 04/28/21 6:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
mzonefan wrote:
He’s very good at it based on how well his final brackets compare to the selection. I can’t understand why people get so upset with him.

Gee, I wonder if the selection committee doing its Top 16 reveal has anything to do with that. 🤔

That’s a rather short-sighted view since the NCAA has been doing top 16 reveals for how long?

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 04/28/21 8:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I enjoy reading this type of article - it doesn't really matter to me if it's too early or not. And I got a kick out of this one seeing Marquette as one of the last 4 teams in since that's what they were this year when I really wasn't expeciting that.

Phil

PostPosted: 04/29/21 8:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was a little surprised to see Stoney Brook picked to win the AE but I see that Maine lost a lot of their scoring, so it makes sense.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: