RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2021 Training Camp Battles
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/27/21 9:29 am    ::: 2021 Training Camp Battles Reply Reply with quote

I wrote about the more interesting competitions for spots across the league this year. Also at least one quick note about every team and their situation.

Quote:
It's a strange situation to create heading into training camp, and is precisely why very few people thought Atlanta would take McDonald in the draft. However, when you're drafting that high, the best policy is often to take the best player and figure out the rest later. This awkward collection of similar players is 'later'.

https://herhoopstats.substack.com/p/2021-wnba-training-camp-battles

PostPosted: 04/27/21 11:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good stuff...as always. THanks!

blue crabs & basketba

PostPosted: 04/27/21 2:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe SWK comes back to DC, if some of these predictions come true.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 04/27/21 3:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blue crabs & basketba wrote:
Maybe SWK comes back to DC, if some of these predictions come true.

This is an interesting idea

I would go a step further and suggest that Washington should offer their 2nd round pick in 21 for SWK

Atl would go a long way to solving its log jam on the perimter and free up cap space allowing them to go with 12 while obtaining a 2nd round pick in a strong draft

Washington upgrades its roster with an experienced talent who already knows the system and is probably miles ahead of any of the peripheral players who might get one of the last three spots increasing their contender potential while no risking losing SWK on the waiver wire to another team for the price of a 2nd round pick which is something I doubt Mike T would be too upset about parting with.

If all parties including SWK were amenable to this idea it makes sense for all involved.

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/27/21 4:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like that idea J-spoon.

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 04/27/21 4:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I for one think SWK would be perfect for Connecticut, if Atlanta doesn't work out.

PostPosted: 04/27/21 4:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That is the other reason I support the trade idea because ATM I believe SWK has the inside track on the 11th spot

Carter/McDonald
C. Williams/Sims/SWK
Hayes/Strickland
Hawkins/Billings
Ch. Parker/E. Wil

make the trade and you can go with 12 and get something like

Carter/McDonald
C. Williams/Sims/Turner
Hayes/Strickland
Hawkins/Billings
Ch. Parker/E. Will/K. Brown

or if not Brown keep Davis or pick up a larger SF off the waiver wire

Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/27/21 4:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
I for one think SWK would be perfect for Connecticut, if Atlanta doesn't work out.

The Sun literally can't even afford a $70k vet min player. Even if they were to cut their two 2nd-rounders & Kaila Charles, all of whom are signed to contracts only a couple thousand above the $58,710 minimum.

Six players on this team eat up over 77% of their salary cap. One player is injured & likely won't play at all this year. And some of the other five are clearly overpaid anyway. It's looking like a shit sandwich for the Sun in 2021, but it's of their own making. There isn't going to be enough talent/bodies there to title-chase this year, whether Curt Miller & the veteran players who agreed to their respective deals this year realize it or not. The core of the team getting good money came at a cost to the rest of the team (and really, the whole team itself).

Queenie

PostPosted: 04/27/21 8:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:

I mean, are Maryland alums even allowed to play for anyone other than Connecticut at this point?

PostPosted: 04/28/21 8:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
PickledGinger wrote:

I mean, are Maryland alums even allowed to play for anyone other than Connecticut at this point?

Laughing

Made watching the 2019 WNBA finals hard for me, that's for sure.

willtalk

PostPosted: 04/28/21 9:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Would people please be considerate and not just use initials for a player.Their actual name should at least be used once in the thread. I had to go to the Atlanta site to figure it out who you were talking about. There have also been other posts in the past where nick names that were not commonly known were used and someone had to ask who they were taling about. .

In the case of initials, just posting their names once should help identify players who are not that well known by their initials to other teams fans.

PostPosted: 04/28/21 10:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The WNBA Training Camp Battles To Watch
Howard Megdal (FiveThirtyEight)
April 27, 2021

But with the draft now long behind us, relatively speaking, we’re headed into an express evaluation period, with both playing time and roster spots up for grabs. Let’s take a look at the biggest decisions ahead.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-wnba-training-camp-battles-to-watch/

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/28/21 10:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
April 27, 2021

But with the draft now long behind us, relatively speaking, we’re headed into an express evaluation period, with both playing time and roster spots up for grabs. Let’s take a look at the biggest decisions ahead.

This article speaks as if Gustafson will make the roster..... Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 04/28/21 11:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
Would people please be considerate and not just use initials for a player.Their actual name should at least be used once in the thread. I had to go to the Atlanta site to figure it out who you were talking about. There have also been other posts in the past where nick names that were not commonly known were used and someone had to ask who they were taling about. .

In the case of initials, just posting their names once should help identify players who are not that well known by their initials to other teams fans.

while I understand what you're saying and have myself occasionally been mystified about references, there are some players that we have called by their initials or nicknames for a very long time. I'm guessing that if 40 people here on the boards saw SWK in the context it's being used, 38 would know who was being discussed. And now, in the future so will you!

root_thing

PostPosted: 04/28/21 11:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So, Megdal not only steals the idea from Richyyy, he even steals the title. Confused

You should sue his ass!

PostPosted: 04/28/21 12:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
April 27, 2021

Seriously, what is the fascination about that these people have with her? What am I missing because she not only shouldn't make the roster, she should have never been drafted in the first place....there is a reason 11 teams passed on her in the draft! I just don't get it!!!

undersized_post

PostPosted: 04/28/21 1:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DFWub2018 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
April 27, 2021

Seriously, what is the fascination about that these people have with her? What am I missing because she not only shouldn't make the roster, she should have never been drafted in the first place....there is a reason 11 teams passed on her in the draft! I just don't get it!!!

I think a lot of it is the cult following Gustafson has from the Iowa fan base. I say this as a member of the Iowa fan base. Laughing (not sure that applies to the author of this particular article though)

Also, many casual college fans aren't familiar with the different style of play between college and the pros. For these fans, it's counterintuitive that someone who won multiple collegiate conference and national player of the year awards wouldn't be able to have at least an average pro-career. Intuitively, you'd think the collegiate success would translate to the next level.

None of this is to say that think I she should make the Dallas roster -- so don't come at me lol. I'm just trying to explain the Gustafson "fascination" you exasperatedly referenced.

Last edited by undersized_post on 04/28/21 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/28/21 2:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

(Entire training camp battles post moved to second page)

Last edited by Stormeo on 05/12/21 10:01 am; edited 22 times in total
Milks26

PostPosted: 04/28/21 2:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DFWub2018 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
April 27, 2021

I won't go so far as to say she shouldn't have been drafted. She was good enough in college to at least get a shot in a training camp.

She stuck on the Wings roster after Gloria went overseas. Agler or Bibb or whoever should've chosen Anigwe over her for the bubble season. She barely played - whereas, they could've used Anigwe last yr.

PostPosted: 04/28/21 3:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like your list Stormeo thanks for putting it out there it will be a helpful resource

It really illustrates the crazy variables of this off season for some teams

Whether it is too much high level talent at the end of the roster LA, Minn and Seattle. Some really hard to understand situations NY, Chicago or too much similar level talent (being diplomatic) and multiple end of bench spots Conn, Washington, Indy some teams are really hard to figure out. We probably won't know until final cut day or even later with some of the over-seas National team commitments who actually wins some of these battles.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/28/21 4:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="Milks26"]
DFWub2018 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
April 27, 2021

I won't go so far as to say she shouldn't have been drafted. She was good enough in college to at least get a shot in a training camp.

She stuck on the Wings roster after Gloria went overseas. Agler or Bibb or whoever should've chosen Anigwe over her for the bubble season. She barely played - whereas, they could've used Anigwe last yr./quote]

They were afraid the Hawkeyes would be under their beds at night when the lights went out....

PostPosted: 04/28/21 4:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="WNBA 09"]
Milks26 wrote:
DFWub2018 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
April 27, 2021

She stuck on the Wings roster after Gloria went overseas. Agler or Bibb or whoever should've chosen Anigwe over her for the bubble season. She barely played - whereas, they could've used Anigwe last yr./quote]

They were afraid the Hawkeyes would be under their beds at night when the lights went out....

Well, Bibb better get a night light - cause she's done.

Publicly wishes Mo Jeff go with her.

PostPosted: 04/28/21 4:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Milks26 wrote:
Publicly wishes Mo Jeff go with her.

For your sake and health, I hope so too cuz goodness.. Laughing

PostPosted: 04/28/21 5:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
DFWub2018 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
April 27, 2021

I think a lot of it is the cult following Gustafson has from the Iowa fan base. I say this as a member of the Iowa fan base. Laughing (not sure that applies to the author of this particular article though)

Also, many casual college fans aren't familiar with the different style of play between college and the pros. For these fans, it's counterintuitive that someone who won multiple collegiate conference and national player of the year awards wouldn't be able to have at least an average pro-career. Intuitively, you'd think the collegiate success would translate to the next level.

None of this is to say that think I she should make the Dallas roster -- so don't come at me lol. I'm just trying to explain the Gustafson "fascination" you exasperatedly referenced.

LMAO!!!

DFWub2018

PostPosted: 04/28/21 6:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Milks26 wrote:
DFWub2018 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
April 27, 2021

She stuck on the Wings roster after Gloria went overseas. Agler or Bibb or whoever should've chosen Anigwe over her for the bubble season. She barely played - whereas, they could've used Anigwe last yr.

I would rather watch paint dry on the wall for an 8hr period rather than watch Gustafson play more than a minute and thirty seconds in a Wings uniform!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: