RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Maryland 2021-22
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blue crabs & basketba

PostPosted: 04/21/21 5:48 pm    ::: Maryland 2021-22 Reply Reply with quote

Hello all, first-time poster but long-time reader. My impression for all those years is that there are a few loyal Terps fans on the board, but some haters, too.

I've been a MD fan since I was a child, and am really looking forward to next year. As far as I can find out, there are NO TRANSFERS this year, so they should be doubly dangerous next year.

Glad to see Ashley and Diamond working with USA Basketball. If Angel Reese had been healthy this whole last season, I bet she'd be there too.

I think Brenda doesn't get her full due as a coach, particularly when it comes to player development. She knows how to turn her players into WNBA prospects, just look at players like Tianna Hawkins and Brionna Jones. They're just two examples.

Tell me your thoughts on MD, I can take it! Cool

undersized_post

PostPosted: 04/21/21 5:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Welcome! Iowa fan here. Yup, the Terps will definitely be deadly again next year. Hate to break it to you though, but I think there will be at least one transfer: Alaysia Styles just entered the portal.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 04/21/21 5:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Welcome to the board! Always glad for. We posters. Brenda has her share of detractors but then again, who doesn’t (OK, Adia Barnes is loved by all but give it time).

B did a great job this last year putting together a solid team who seemed to have great chemistry. I always appreciate the fact that she gets scoring from all positions and typically has 5 players who average double figures. If you can get that who needs defense?

Regarding transfers, Alaysia Styles joined the program this last season out of Cal is back in the portal. Is everyone else coming back (including those who are already grads)?

blue crabs & basketba

PostPosted: 04/21/21 5:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NOOOO! Well, she probably didn't get as much playing time as she wanted, which is fair.

blue crabs & basketba

PostPosted: 04/21/21 6:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
Welcome to the board! Always glad for. We posters. Brenda has her share of detractors but then again, who doesn’t (OK, Adia Barnes is loved by all but give it time).

B did a great job this last year putting together a solid team who seemed to have great chemistry. I always appreciate the fact that she gets scoring from all positions and typically has 5 players who average double figures. If you can get that who needs defense?

Regarding transfers, Alaysia Styles joined the program this last season out of Cal is back in the portal. Is everyone else coming back (including those who are already grads)?

MD tweeted that Chloe and Katie and I thought Alaysia too were all coming back. Now I don't know. Sad

Last edited by blue crabs & basketba on 04/21/21 6:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
blue crabs & basketba

PostPosted: 04/21/21 6:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
Welcome! Iowa fan here. Yup, the Terps will definitely be deadly again next year. Hate to break it to you though, but I think there will be at least one transfer: Alaysia Styles just entered the portal.

Both Iowa and Ohio State have been MD's biggest challenges in the conference. I do miss the old MD/Duke rivalry in the ACC, but the B1G has provided some epic games for the Terps.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 04/21/21 8:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blue crabs & basketba wrote:
undersized_post wrote:

Both Iowa and Ohio State have been MD's biggest challenges in the conference. I do miss the old MD/Duke rivalry in the ACC, but the B1G has provided some epic games for the Terps.

Well you undoubtedly got the best of us this year! Hopefully Iowa's defense improves enough by next year to at least keep y'all from scoring 100+ on us Laughing

ucbart

PostPosted: 04/21/21 9:32 pm    ::: Re: Maryland 2021-22 Reply Reply with quote

Awesome! Welcome aboard.

I absolutely love Awusu. I think she has an awesome game and a great personality.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 04/22/21 5:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:

MD tweeted that Chloe and Katie and I thought Alaysia too were all coming back. Now I don't know. Sad

You’re not wrong. https://twitter.com/terpswbb/status/1378408749677826048?s=21

blue crabs & basketba

PostPosted: 05/22/21 2:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Now that SWK is on the Sun, and the Sun have 5 Terps and a 4-0 record, Brenda must be very happy.

Howee

PostPosted: 05/22/21 7:31 pm    ::: Re: Maryland 2021-22 Reply Reply with quote

She knows how to turn her players into WNBA prospects, just look at players like Tianna Hawkins and Brionna Jones. They're just two examples.

Tell me your thoughts on MD, I can take it! Cool

I'd think Miss Toliver and Miss Thomas might take exception to your omission of their names.... Laughing Miss Langhorne is another one who played far longer than one might have expected.

My thoughts on MD? I only hated on them when they so bodaciously stole the Natty from *my* Duke ladies that one year. Razz I've long thought Brenda was a darned good coach. I also think they were more consistently challenged in the ACC -- for the past few years, it feels like there's just been more NC-caliber teams in that conference.

PostPosted: 05/23/21 8:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I really really liked Marissa Coleman. I wish she would’ve gone to Duke and I remember following her prep career prior to her commitment.

Brenda is a fighter. She is someone going on what 20 years in the business. She’s Witnessed women’s basketball evolve over that time and I think she’s changed Marylands style to match that evolution.

blue crabs & basketba

PostPosted: 09/21/21 8:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am SO EXCITED (and I just can't hide it) to see this team play. I love the chemistry and the skill set these women bring to the team. Fellow MD fans, or Big 10 fans, are you ready for a competitive and fun season of college ball?

blue crabs & basketba

PostPosted: 10/21/21 10:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A #4 ranking is great news for the Terps, but they are going to have to fight hard to keep that ranking or improve it, as they're playing a lot of tough teams this season. I hope to attend the Baylor game, and maybe more next year.

Will the Terps retain the #1 offense rating again this year? Will they avoid the earlier than expected exit from the NCAA tournament? I cannot wait for the season to begin!

undersized_post

PostPosted: 10/21/21 1:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I see no reason to doubt that they will remain the #1 offense this season. But I could see Brenda experimenting with putting a greater emphasis on being able to execute their half-court offense (rather than relying so much on scoring in transition) simply so they are more prepared to play against teams that favor a slow-paced, grind-it-out, defensive-oriented type game. In other words, try to prepare them more for how Texas played against them. Because teams are certainly going to try that having seen how effective it was.

PostPosted: 10/22/21 11:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
I see no reason to doubt that they will remain the #1 offense this season. But I could see Brenda experimenting with putting a greater emphasis on being able to execute their half-court offense (rather than relying so much on scoring in transition) simply so they are more prepared to play against teams that favor a slow-paced, grind-it-out, defensive-oriented type game. In other words, try to prepare them more for how Texas played against them. Because teams are certainly going to try that having seen how effective it was.

Good point. I saw yesterday that Maryland is saying they have the toughest schedule in the country this season. Hopefully it toughens them up for tournament time.

Michael

PostPosted: 10/27/21 10:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My only knock on Brenda has been how callously she runs off players that do not fit after they get onto campus. Many of the transfers out are pushed out by Frese from what I have heard to free up the scholarship. She can certainly coach at a pretty high level, but it seems Maryland the last six years has slid a little and are not as good as they were before joining the BigTen. I think to really be back in the ranks of the elite she needed to toughen the OOC schedule with a lot less patsies and learn to play against all styles, not just BT ball where frankly only a handful of games each year even challenge Maryland the last few years.

PostPosted: 10/28/21 9:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
My only knock on Brenda has been how callously she runs off players that do not fit after they get onto campus. Many of the transfers out are pushed out by Frese from what I have heard to free up the scholarship. She can certainly coach at a pretty high level, but it seems Maryland the last six years has slid a little and are not as good as they were before joining the BigTen. I think to really be back in the ranks of the elite she needed to toughen the OOC schedule with a lot less patsies and learn to play against all styles, not just BT ball where frankly only a handful of games each year even challenge Maryland the last few years.

I don't see your point on this one because she does not seem to be oversigning. If anything she is losing some talented players like Austin at Ole Miss who she clearly is not running off. Maryland's roster has 12 players, when the max is 15 scholarships, and this year due to COVID some teams have more than 15.

If she consistently had 15 player roster you could surmise she was running a player off to get a better player but look at her past rosters pretty reasonable 12-13 players most years. Then look at her signings, she is signing 2 this year it looks like, signed 2 last year. She's not signing 7 recruits. There are so many transfers across the country now so I'm not sure how you think her roster and think she is running teams off. If that's the case what do you think about teams losing 5 players in one offseason or signing 7-8 new players?

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 10/28/21 12:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:

I don't see your point on this one because she does not seem to be oversigning. If anything she is losing some talented players like Austin at Ole Miss who she clearly is not running off. Maryland's roster has 12 players, when the max is 15 scholarships, and this year due to COVID some teams have more than 15.

Yeah, Frese's problem is driving off people who don't fit...it's driving off stars. Natasha Cloud, Lexie Brown, Destiny Slocum, Kiara Leslie, Kiah Gillespie, Shakira Austin. That's 6 players that have left Maryland in the last decade and gone on to be draft picks. Taylor Mikesell could make 7. Maryland has graduated 9 draft picks in that time, 2 of which never made a roster. That's not an insignificant ratio.

PostPosted: 10/28/21 12:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
Durantula wrote:

Yeah, Frese's problem is driving off people who don't fit...it's driving off stars. Natasha Cloud, Lexie Brown, Destiny Slocum, Kiara Leslie, Kiah Gillespie, Shakira Austin. That's 6 players that have left Maryland in the last decade and gone on to be draft picks. Taylor Mikesell could make 7. Maryland has graduated 9 draft picks in that time, 2 of which never made a roster. That's not an insignificant ratio.

I don't think its fair to say she is driving them off in all cases. Gillespie transferred because she wanted more playing time. Leslie graduated and had injuries and transferred back home. Slocum transferred but she also left Oregon State and decommitted from Washington so maybe its more of a her thing than any one coach. Same with Mikesell who already left Oregon too. Lexie Brown has said publicly the move to the Big 10 was a reason she left because she is from GA and wanted family at games. I think Cloud was also family related because she easily could have been at bigger school than St. Joe's. In some of these cases it is reserves who end up doing well elsewhere which is not that common even amongst transfers from top programs like UConn so that is kind of surprising but I think that says something about player development where even if they didn't play a lot like a Leslie, she was clearly getting better in practice and in the offseasons.

Howee

PostPosted: 10/28/21 7:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I dunno.....I don't follow MD that closely, but....if she's 'driven away' all that talent, AND still is picked to top the Big Ten, she's not all that bad, eh? Razz

PostPosted: 11/10/21 3:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Two questions:

1) How is Angel Reese going to do this season? I think she will do better than many expect.

2) How is Maryland's recruiting going?

SocksTerp

PostPosted: 11/14/21 10:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michael wrote:

Brenda does not drive players off. I don't know what you base that on. Each player that has left the program had their reasons for doing so, like any program.

SocksTerp

PostPosted: 11/14/21 11:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am SO EXCITED (and I just can't hide it) to see this team play. I love the chemistry and the skill set these women bring to the team. Fellow MD fans, or Big 10 fans, are you ready for a competitive and fun season of college ball?

Every year is different. Last year may have been one of those special years offensively for the Terps, but they will have plenty of firepower this season. I think the keys to this season will be team rebounding and defense. The standard for the Terps defense will be higher this season.

The competition will be intense this season. As stated, the out-of-conference schedule is very tough. The B1G is closer than many think IMO. Indiana has everyone back and right behind the Terps. If Iowa has an average defense they will be dangerous. Michigan and MSU are right there. OSU lost 3 of top 5 scorers from last season and size to transfers, so not sure why they are ranked to high.

blue crabs & basketba

PostPosted: 11/21/21 9:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm going to the game today against Baylor. Anyone else attending?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: