RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Late Training Camp Arrivals 2021
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
awhom111

PostPosted: 04/19/21 5:41 pm    ::: Late Training Camp Arrivals 2021 Reply Reply with quote

Looks like there are seven countries that still have affected players. Some teams wrapped up recently so those players should be able to be on their way soon. I think I have accounted for recent training camp signings.

Israel only has one team with players as Elitzur Ramla has Betnijah Laney and Tiffany Mitchell. If they were to miraculously lose the next two games, they would be done on the 26th. Instead they will likely have to play the as of now unscheduled finals.

Russia's third place series will conclude on the 24th, 25th, or 29th, affecting Brianna Turner and Kiara Leslie. Their finals will finish most likely on the 27th, but possibly on the 29th or 3rd. Arike Ogunbowale, Courtney Vandersloot, Allie Quigley, and Brittney Griner are the affected players. It sounds like Maria Vadeeva will wait until after EuroBasket to report and presumably Jonquel Jones will play some of the season and then join Bosnia and Herzegovina.

Brianna Fraser will be done in Hungary on the 21st unless they let her leave early. The finals will end on the 1st, 4th, or 7th, affecting DeWanna Bonner, Erica McCall, Bernadett Hatar, Briann January, and Megan Walker. It is not official on this side of the pond, but it sounds like Gabby Williams would head to France's national team after the season.

Spain's semifinals end on the 24th or 25th and the finals will end on the 2nd or 6th. Signed players include Chelsea Gray, Bella Alarie, Tiffany Hayes, and Katie Lou Samuelson although it has not been made clear whether 3x3 national team players are supposed to just miss the first portion of the season until after qualifying.

Galatasaray's virus outbreak has delayed the second semifinal in Turkey to finish either on the 28th, 30th, or 3rd. They have Epiphanny Prince (unclear if she will play for Russia), Mercedes Russell, and Sami Whitcomb. They play Ruthy Hebard and Shey Peddy. Fenerbahce, which has Jasmine Thomas, Kayla McBride, Satou Sabally, Kiah Stokes (seems like Turkey may prefer Quanitra Hollingsworth?), Kia Vaughn (unclear if she will play for the Czech Republic) awaits the winner and it seems likely that the finals would start earlier if the first series finishes.

Italy's playout includes Linnae Harper and Kennedy Burke and their teams could be done on the 21st. Losses would mean one additional game and two losses means a whole additional series that is currently unscheduled. Hopefully they release semifinals schedules soon, but Natasha Howard's team will likely make it to the finals. One quarterfinal series still being played features Isabelle Harrison and Awak Kuier against Kamiah Smalls.

France's regular season is not scheduled to end until the 27th and then teams are theoretically all going to be play a couple more games after that. My assumption is that Charnay has allowed Vionise Pierre-Louis to leave since they are out of the playoffs and it would take a pretty unlikely set of events for them to finish at the bottom of the six game playout to get them relegated. Other affected players are Yvonne Turner, Myisha Hines-Allen, and Napheesa Collier with no real news on Julie Allemand's plans.
myrtle

PostPosted: 04/19/21 5:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

thanks awhom. great information!

Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/19/21 5:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks awhom111, always a wildly useful thread. Once the 'WNBA prioritization' rules in the new CBA kick in, France may be forced to either move up their schedule or give up on Americans entirely. I doubt they pay enough for established WNBA players to bother with them once those apply.

PostPosted: 04/21/21 10:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Linnae Harper's team won so she can return. Kennedy Burke's team lost and has to play on the road again Saturday. If they win, she's done and if she loses, they play two (or three in an unlikely scenario) more games. Kamiah Smalls had her season ended.

Hainaut has presumably allowed Jasmine Bailey to not play anymore, which is a little risky on their part because there is a path to them getting relegated still.
Shades

PostPosted: 04/22/21 11:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:
Linnae Harper's team won so she can return.

Woo hoo! I don’t think she’s meant to make the team, but with Reeve you can never tell. I thought no way Kayla Alexander was going to make the last team year, then oops.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
awhom111

PostPosted: 04/23/21 11:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Semifinals in Italy will end either on the 29th or 30th if there are sweeps and the 2nd if a third game is needed. Natasha Howard is on the other side of the bracket from Isabelle Harrison and Awak Kuier.
awhom111

PostPosted: 04/24/21 11:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It was a good day for players returning.

Brianna Turner and Kiara Leslie lost in a sweep so they are done.

Chelsea Gray's team lost so she can return. Assuming Rebecca Allen is actually signed, she can be added to the Spain finals list.

It looked like Kennedy Burke might have to play two more games in Italy, but her team had a big fourth quarter to win and finish their season.
awhom111

PostPosted: 04/25/21 11:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Avenida is officially the other team in the Spanish finals so Bella Alarie, Tiffany Hayes, and Katie Lou Samuelson still have games.

Galatasaray evened their series with Nesibe so that is at least four games in that series. Prince and Russell played after missing the first game. Whitcomb is already ruled out for the rest of their season. It is unclear which players there were infected, but it sounded pretty bad in terms of who could not practice until recently.

As brought up by Richyyy, DeWanna Bonner is not playing in the finals in Hungary so a sweep should be much more likely there.
Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/26/21 8:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe Bonner was only signed until a specific date, with a focus on helping Szekszard try to win the EuroCup, but it was weird to see her leave between the semis and finals in Hungary. Hope she's healthy.

PostPosted: 04/26/21 11:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

are all these players going to have to quarantine once they get back to the States?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/26/21 11:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
are all these players going to have to quarantine once they get back to the States?

I would imagine so, especially the ones that haven't been vaccinated yet. I've seen preseason articles that have mentioned returning six negative tests before being allowed to join group activities. It definitely seems like it'll be more complicated than previous years where some players flew in a day or two before the season started and jumped right in.

PostPosted: 04/26/21 11:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

I posted something about it the Vegas thread.
http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=98420&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=224

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
root_thing

PostPosted: 04/26/21 12:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
myrtle wrote:

I posted something about it the Vegas thread.
http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=98420&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=224

I watched an interview with Didi Richards from April 20. The Liberty had her in a hotel quarantining until training camp started yesterday. Someone else posted an article about Phoenix. That also mentioned players who were in town buy not yet practicing because they were in quarantine. So yes, it looks like everyone has to start by being isolated.

PostPosted: 04/26/21 10:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Elitzur Ramla somehow managed to lose again so Betnijah Laney and Tiffany Mitchell are done. I am looking forward to reading the translation of Safsal's inevitable roast of them since their articles have been critical of the team for a while. They allegedly wanted to change the playoff format too.

Richyyy wrote:
Maybe Bonner was only signed until a specific date, with a focus on helping Szekszard try to win the EuroCup, but it was weird to see her leave between the semis and finals in Hungary. Hope she's healthy.

It just seemed a little weird because she left more than a week after her last game with them. It would have been understandable if she left right after EuroCup.

I am not sure if the Walt Hopkins media availability will be put up, but my interpretation of Myles Ehrlich's transcription of his response on Whitcomb and trying to translate internet chatter makes it sound like Sami was one of the players with COVID and that they wanted to have her checked out by doctors here to be cleared. Galatasaray's release did not appear to specify an injury and it seems unusual for someone like Hopkins to specifically mention cardiac tests. Galatasaray announced 17 positive tests among players and staff, which seems like a group of about 30 people, so their outbreak was pretty severe.
Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/26/21 10:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, after I tweeted about Whitcomb I realised I should've said "illness/injury" rather than just "injury". If she's actually going to be ready to join New York's camp in a couple of days though, she probably could've stuck around to play for Galatasaray instead. But with the uncertainty, maybe everyone just agreed she could leave.

PostPosted: 04/26/21 10:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just posted the Hopkins video on the Liberty thread. He said Whitcomb is undergoing standard COVID protocol tests for anyone returning from overseas. Jasmine Bailey is following the same procedure. They expect Whitcomb to be available "in a couple of days."

PostPosted: 04/27/21 7:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just looked up the French playoffs, and as far as I can tell from their messy website, the quarter-finals of their playoffs are scheduled for May 4th/8th. Fortunately not too many WNBA players in France, but NCollier, Hines-Allen and/or Yvonne Turner could be really, really late if their teams don't hurry up and get knocked out.

PostPosted: 04/27/21 11:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Russia was a sweep as expected.

Ragusa lost their first game so Harrison and Kuier could be done if they lose on Friday. Venezia won so Howard will probably make it to the best of five finals.

Richyyy wrote:
Just looked up the French playoffs, and as far as I can tell from their messy website, the quarter-finals of their playoffs are scheduled for May 4th/8th. Fortunately not too many WNBA players in France, but NCollier, Hines-Allen and/or Yvonne Turner could be really, really late if their teams don't hurry up and get knocked out.

At least they changed the format this season for emergency reasons. Two game quarterfinals ending on the 8th and single game final four in one weekend on the 13th and 15th.

No word on the Playout, which does not have WNBA implications. If Nantes gets relegated though, the local government wants them to merge with another team in Nantes because they do not want to subsidize teams in the same division. That level of specific government intervention in sports is a little foreign to most of us, but I did see today that one party in Tasmania has included a pledge for three years of support for a WNBL team to be formed there.
Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/27/21 11:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

At least they changed the format this season for emergency reasons. Two game quarterfinals ending on the 8th and single game final four in one weekend on the 13th and 15th.

That's good to hear. I was expecting at least two-legged semis, and given the gaps they left before and between the quarters that could've taken us close to June.

PostPosted: 04/28/21 11:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hungary will go at least four games.

Galatasaray won Game 3 so we will see if Nesibe can win at home.

There are at least some rumors out there that some players in France will return early and not play the rest of the season.
Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/28/21 11:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:
There are at least some rumors out there that some players in France will return early and not play the rest of the season.

With Hines-Allen and Collier it's obviously unfortunate for the Mystics and Lynx in terms of preparing for the season, but that's about it. With Yvonne Turner you could definitely understand her wanting to get back because she's far from a certainty to even make the team in Atlanta. Problem is, with all the testing and quarantine stuff she'd basically have to leave tomorrow for there to be much point. Even then she'd probably only be participating in maybe a week of camp.

PostPosted: 04/29/21 11:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Reyer Venezia wins so Natasha Howard has at least three more games.

Valencia wins the first game in Spain, which probably makes it slightly more likely that the series could end in a sweep.

As mentioned in the Wings thread, Sabally intends to report for 3x3 duty with Germany after the season in Turkey. That also has the effect of possibly making a second dangerous team that could upset the United States in group play.
awhom111

PostPosted: 04/30/21 11:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ragusa loses so Isabelle Harrison and Awak Kuier are done. That also has the beneficial effect of allowing the finals to start earlier.

Galatasaray and Nesibe are playing a fifth game. Who knows when the finals will start.
awhom111

PostPosted: 05/01/21 11:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sopron wins Game 3 easily so they are one game from ending play in Hungary.

The finals in Italy are scheduled to end on either the 11th, 13th, or 16th.
awhom111

PostPosted: 05/02/21 10:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Avenida wins so Spain does not finish until Thursday.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: