RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

South Carolina 2021-22 Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/01/22 10:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:
myrtle wrote:
I think POY was decided back in October. And the voters were a bit lazy in the defensive POY award. She's good, but there are others who could be honored as well. It seems like overkill to give everything to one player.

To say that others were as deserving as Boston, is to say that Boston was as deserving as the others. So to say that a player who is as deserving of the awards as anyone else, shouldn't be awarded just the same, seems unnecessarily punitive against Boston, and for little to no reason. Your opinion in this thread is worthless. Keep that trash out of the thread, please.....

Conway Gamecock wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Gamecock1 wrote:
Not sure it's overkill, as more of a "she deserved it" thing. She was consistent all season in every phase of the game.

As were others. I think it could easily have gone to someone like Veronica Burton, who has been stellar defensively her entire career. And it would mean something special to her. I just like to spread the wealth...and awards.

Veronica Burton is a great WBB player, but she led her team to a 8-8 conference record, and didn't even lead the team in rebounds. How much of an offensive impact do you think she had on her team, compared to Boston's impact on her team?

And if you mean defensively, Northwestern was out-shot, out-scored, out-rebounded, and out-played by their conference opponents this season. Overall, it's almost the same thing - they barely out-scored their opposition by 3 ppg or so. Would be setting a precedent to award the national DPOY award to a player on a poor defensive team. Boston has been the defensive anchor for her team, which was a nationally elite defensive team.

Like I said, take that trash out of this thread.....

The fuck? Once again, why can’t people just let other people have their basketball opinions on a goddamn basketball site?? Ironic you calling these particular posts of myrtle’s trash, since at this point that’s what I’d consider all of yours to be………………………………… ……………………………………… ……………………………………………

Queenie

PostPosted: 04/01/22 11:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

what in the goddamn hell did I just read

(now with spelling variations)
Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 04/03/22 10:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#1 Seed South Carolina improves to 35-2 and wins the 2022 NCAA National Championship with their 64-49 win over #2 Seed Connecticut (30-7). Senior PG Destanni Henderson leads the way with a career-best 26 pts on 9-20 shooting, with 4 assists and 3 steals. Aliyah Boston added 11 pts on 3-8 shooting, with 16 rebounds, and Zia Cooke also scored 11 pts on 5-13 shooting with 5 rebounds.

With the Championship - the 2nd one in program history, both under Dawn Staley - the team concludes a season where they were wire-to-wire #1 ranked. The 35 wins are a program-high, passing the 34 wins in the 2014-15 Final Four season.

POST-SEASON OUTLOOK

The Gamecocks stand to lose Lele Grissett, Destanni Henderson, Victaria Saxton, and Elisa Wesolek to graduation. Destiny Littleton could also graduate although she'll have eligibility remaining. She could also return for another season in 2022-23.

The Gamecocks will be adding two freshmen to their roster, in McDonald's All-Americans Talaysia Cooper and Ashlyn Watkins to keep the roster among the deepest and most talented of rosters, and give themselves their best chance to defend their championship next season.....

Congratulations and Go Gamecocks!!!

Milks26

PostPosted: 04/04/22 12:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Don't who our PG will be next year. Raven had a whole year to sit and learn the playbook. We'll see what it looks like

PostPosted: 04/04/22 6:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dawn tweeting about little birds flying into the nest………..

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 04/04/22 6:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Milks26 wrote:

Don't who our PG will be next year. Raven had a whole year to sit and learn the playbook. We'll see what it looks like

There will certainly be a bit of a void at the PG spot - Raven was the heir apparent to replace Henny, just like Henny was the heir apparent to replace Ty. I don't think Raven's injury would make a huge difference there, unless her conditioning and lateral movement is still hampered.

We had to try some things to help Destanni out after Raven was lost, with back-up help. Amihere was once the #1 option, especially when Henderson suffered a thigh injury and had to miss some games. Since then, it's been more Saniah Rivers who handled the role, but it was a small role. Cooke also filled in for brief stretches.

Cooper will now come in and add her name to that list. I think mostly it's Raven and Talaysia in the role as PG #1 and PG #2, since they were recruited for the position. Anything else would require other players moving from their expected positions and roles.

What would this mean for the team next season? Destanni was NOT as good a ball distributor as Ty Harris was. Her best season was in 2020-21, which was her first season as a full-time starter after Harris graduated. She averaged 5.06 assists per game, and a decent if not stellar 1.78:1 assist:turnover ratio. This past season, Destanni's assist averages dropped to only 3.91 apg, but she had her best ratio yet at 1.85:1. Still not outstanding however.

The team overall has not been a great assist -to- turnover team in the 2 seasons since Ty Harris moved on, with 915 total assists in 68 games, to 970 turnovers. I wonder that as long as the Gamecocks are such a dominant rebounding team, if Staley is going to be that concerned with turnovers. But the team has NOT been as clean since Ty left - her senior season, the Gamecocks had 531 total assists to 446 total turnovers.

This past season the Gamecocks averaged 14.43 turnovers per game as a team, the highest average since the 2015-16 season's 14.51 average. The next season (2016-17) was the best season in quite a while with a 12.73 average. The Ty Harris years were among the best seasons with lowest turnover/game averages. But this is not Henderson's blame as she actually had her best assist:turnover ratio of her career, so while her assist/game numbers dropped, obviously her turnover/game numbers did too.

So it is more a team philosophy than any one particular player at PG. Will Raven turn into more the next Ty Harris than the next Destanni Henderson? Will the team's overall ball protection discipline improve starting next season? Also, who will pick up the offensive output that leaves with Henderson: she was one of our top 3 scorers over the past 2 seasons. I still the team has more answers for 2022-23 than questions......

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 04/04/22 6:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congrats to Aliyah Boston for winning the 2022 John R. Wooden Award. The award, given to the most outstanding player in women's college basketball, was voted on by a national collection of voters who cover the sport and former winners. Voting took place from March 15-22....

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 04/04/22 7:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
Dawn tweeting about little birds flying into the nest………..

Janiah Barker, possibly?? Would be crazy......

SPD

PostPosted: 04/04/22 8:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:
Congrats to Aliyah Boston for winning the 2022 John R. Wooden Award. The award, given to the most outstanding player in women's college basketball, was voted on by a national collection of voters who cover the sport and former winners. Voting took place from March 15-22....

https://twitter.com/WoodenAward/status/1511111763957202944?cxt=HHwWgICqqZSJxvgpAAAA

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 04/05/22 9:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SPD wrote:
Conway Gamecock wrote:

https://twitter.com/WoodenAward/status/1511111763957202944?cxt=HHwWgICqqZSJxvgpAAAA

Plus....

🏆 SEC POY
🏆 SEC Defensive POY
🏆 Naismith POY
🏆 Naismith Defensive POY
🏆 Wade Trophy winner
🏆 USBWA POY
🏆 AP POY
🏆 Lisa Leslie Award winner
🏆 National Champion
🏆 Final Four MOP
🏆 Wooden Award winner

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 04/06/22 2:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Victoria Saxon is coming back. Kierra Fletcheris transferring in as a senior Pg from Geo Tech.

This will be Fletchers 6th year of college and she has logged 3588 minutes of playing time. So check the box marked EXPERIENCE. Her first three years at Tech she was 2-20 from three point land. Her final year 20-21 (injury redshirt 21-22) she was 23-64 from beyond the arc. Potentially could provide South Carolina with that perimeter scorer.

Milks26

PostPosted: 04/06/22 4:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wesolek's probably leaving. I'll be glad if she is We need to start sliming the branches down and there was no need to come back to sit on a bench. She got and education, 2 SEC rings and a National - she's straight!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CcBS7p3O74p/?utm_source=ig_embed&ig_rid=207d39a1-5d8c-4999-a4ad-968c0f27dc5f

good luck in life

PostPosted: 04/06/22 5:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Milks26 wrote:
Wesolek's probably leaving. I'll be glad if she is We need to start sliming the branches down and there was no need to come back to sit on a bench. She got and education, 2 SEC rings and a National - she's straight!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CcBS7p3O74p/?utm_source=ig_embed&ig_rid=207d39a1-5d8c-4999-a4ad-968c0f27dc5f

good luck in life

So you want to dump your token white girl? Oh, I guess Thompson can take that role for next year. But she may be shoved aside as well to accommodate the incoming transfers.

Milks26

PostPosted: 04/06/22 8:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Milks26 wrote:

good luck in life

So you want to dump your token white girl? Oh, I guess Thompson can take that role for next year. But she may be shoved aside as well to accommodate the incoming transfers.

Haha! There have been two token wht girls the last few years - both from SC and getting 1st class education with rings to bout. Also, both were on their way to D2 schools...they're getting what they need from the school & program

PostPosted: 04/06/22 10:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Conway Gamecock wrote:
myrtle wrote:
I think POY was decided back in October. And the voters were a bit lazy in the defensive POY award. She's good, but there are others who could be honored as well. It seems like overkill to give everything to one player.

Your opinion in this thread is worthless. Keep that trash out of the thread, please.....

Conway Gamecock wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Gamecock1 wrote:
Not sure it's overkill, as more of a "she deserved it" thing. She was consistent all season in every phase of the game.

As were others. I think it could easily have gone to someone like Veronica Burton, who has been stellar defensively her entire career. And it would mean something special to her. I just like to spread the wealth...and awards.

The fuck? Once again, why can’t people just let other people have their basketball opinions on a goddamn basketball site?? Ironic you calling these particular posts of myrtle’s trash, since at this point that’s what I’d consider all of yours to be……………………………………………

Whoa! I mean, I'm glad SC won, and I like/admire Boston, but THIS display of nasty arrogance is beyond what might expect from....from....even a Husky Fan! (Razz)

A. Myrtle don't post NO Trash. Ever.

B. Miss Boston is NOT the Second Coming of Britney Ghrist. Her success on the floor has certainly been enabled by a Great Cast of Stellar Teammates.
Her cause in this (yes, slightly politicized, thankyoudawn) campaign was greatly enabled by early tourney departures of Clark and Smith. And if she HAS a vertical jump over 2.5 inches, she oughtta demonstrate it more....jus' saying....she is not without flaws.

C. I agree that this was a great year to have 'spread the wealth' amongst so many fine players.

Regardless - no matter how overzealous any fan may be in defending her - I agree that she's deserving, and SC deserved every inch of the trophy.

PostPosted: 04/06/22 11:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
Conway Gamecock wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Your opinion in this thread is worthless. Keep that trash out of the thread, please.....

Conway Gamecock wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Gamecock1 wrote:

The fuck? Once again, why can’t people just let other people have their basketball opinions on a goddamn basketball site?? Ironic you calling these particular posts of myrtle’s trash, since at this point that’s what I’d consider all of yours to be……………………………………………

Whoa! I mean, I'm glad SC won, and I like/admire Boston, but THIS display of nasty arrogance is beyond what might expect from....from....even a Husky Fan! (Razz)

A. Myrtle don't post NO Trash. Ever.

B. Miss Boston is NOT the Second Coming of Britney Ghrist. Her success on the floor has certainly been enabled by a Great Cast of Stellar Teammates.
Her cause in this (yes, slightly politicized, thankyoudawn) campaign was greatly enabled by early tourney departures of Clark and Smith. And if she HAS a vertical ju over 2.5 inches, she oughtta demonstrate it more....jus' saying....she is not without flaws.

C. I agree that this was a great year to have 'spread the wealth' amongst so many fine players.

Regardless - no matter how overzealous any fan may be in defending her - I agree that she's deserving, and SC deserved every inch of the trophy.

Why should they have spread the awards this year when they didn't spread the wealth last year with the National POYs last season. Bueckers would've won the Wade trophy if freshman were eligible.

Howee

PostPosted: 04/07/22 4:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Follow below, Davis....

FrozenLVFan wrote:
SPD wrote:
Conway Gamecock wrote:

Plus....

🏆 SEC POY
🏆 SEC Defensive POY
🏆 Naismith POY
🏆 Naismith Defensive POY
🏆 Wade Trophy winner
🏆 USBWA POY
🏆 AP POY
🏆 Lisa Leslie Award winner
🏆 National Champion
🏆 Final Four MOP
🏆 Wooden Award winner

If these are her awards for this year, I'd think this might make the the most decorated collegiate player of all time, for one season.

PostPosted: 04/07/22 5:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

First questions to be answered for 2022-23:

Lele Grissett has expended all of her playing eligibility, and is moving on.

Elisa Wesolek is moving on - either graduating, or playing her Super Senior season elsewhere. She still has that eligibility.

Starter Victaria Saxton is returning for her Super Senior season. Saxton was slated at best as a 2nd round WNBA draft pick, and feels she wants to take the opportunity to improve her draft stock with another season playing on the defending champions.

Still no word on what Destiny Littleton will do next season. She had a redshirt season due to transferring to South Carolina from Texas, then had another medical redshirt to address foot issues. She's had 3 seasons of playing eligibility - 1 at Texas, 2 at South Carolina. Then with the Covid extra year of eligibility, Destiny has 2 years of playing eligibility, but that's a LOT of college life to live through.

Destiny posted a warm soliloquy on her Twitter account that almost sounded like a warm "it's time to say goodbye", but without exactly saying goodbye or tipping her hand to next season's plans. Still needing to see how that resolves itself.

Destanni Henderson has shown her own hand - she's moving on to the WNBA draft, and forgoing her Super Senior year of playing eligibility.

Also reserve G Olivia Thompson - she's not a senior and does HAVE to leave. She's a true junior with the Covid Super Senior year still available to her. She could choose to transfer to a smaller program to get more playing time, but who knows.

There is one addition to all this talk of subtraction: Super Senior transfer PG Kierra Fletcher is joining the Gamecock program out of Georgia Tech. Fletcher played - started - 4 years at GT and is a above-solid defender, scorer, and rebounder for her 5-9 stature. She'll provide a mature anchor to the PG position while redshirt freshman and heir apparent Raven Johnson returns from her ACL injury. Add to that Cooke and Rivers also providing support at the Point.

Then there are the two incoming freshmen McDonald's All-Americans Talaysia Cooper and Ashlyn Watkins. Cooper will also add her talents to the PG role.

So the roster preliminarily looks like this going forward:

PG: Johnson, Fletcher, Cooper, Thompson
SG: Cooke, Rivers, Russell
SF: Beal, Hall
PF: Saxton, Amihere, Watkins
C: Boston, Cardoso, Feagin

That's 15 scholarship players, which is the maximum for WCBB. Cooper is 6-0 and is a prolific scorer - she can also find legit minutes at the 2, where both 5-8 Johnson and Thompson, and 5-9 Fletcher will not find.

6-1 Eniya Russell can also slide over to the 3 spot with ease. Otherwise the departure of Grissett opens up the 3 spot a bit for both Beal and Hall to get more minutes.

The 4 spot is still pretty congested with Saxton staying another season, and Watkins being added. Watkins may see a similar situation that Sania Feagin saw her freshman, and may still see for her sophomore season.

The 5 spot is also similar to it's 21-22 depth.....

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 04/08/22 7:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:

So the roster preliminarily looks like this going forward:

PG: Johnson, Fletcher, Cooper, Thompson
SG: Cooke, Rivers, Russell
SF: Beal, Hall
PF: Saxton, Amihere, Watkins
C: Boston, Cardoso, Feagin

Both Elisa Wesolek and Eniya Russell have entered the transfer portal via their instagrams. Elisa's intention was already somewhat clear, but she made it official with her statement - she also seemed to imply that she's transferring to continue her education for a future as a sports nutritionist and dietician, although she still has a Covid year of playing eligibility left to her. Eniya is transferring for better playing opportunities elsewhere....she'll have up to three years of playing eligibility left.....

Milks26

PostPosted: 04/14/22 3:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rivers is gone. Not surprised. It seems like she and Staley were butting heads.

https://twitter.com/Ihoop___22/status/1514705130947555345/photo/1

PostPosted: 04/14/22 5:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So it seems a birdie has flown the coop

scfastpitch

PostPosted: 04/21/22 7:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

South Carolina is very interested in Dyaisha Fair of Buffalo who is in the portal . Downside is she is 5-5 . Upside is just about everything else . Love to have her .
https://www.wkbw.com/sports/college/ubs-dyaisha-fair-to-enter-transfer-portal-will-explore-other-options

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/21/22 11:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scfastpitch wrote:
South Carolina is very interested in Dyaisha Fair of Buffalo who is in the portal . Downside is she is 5-5 . Upside is just about everything else . Love to have her .
https://www.wkbw.com/sports/college/ubs-dyaisha-fair-to-enter-transfer-portal-will-explore-other-options

Kinda surprised she hasn't shuffled off to Syracuse along with her coach.

PostPosted: 04/25/22 4:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
scfastpitch wrote:

Kinda surprised she hasn't shuffled off to Syracuse along with her coach.

Along with her coach and several of her teammates . I'm not sure exactly when she visited South Carolina . Don't know if it was before or after Fletcher committed . That might be a factor . At any rate , Fair has evidently said she is announcing where she is going today .

scfastpitch

PostPosted: 04/26/22 9:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fair is indeed following her coach to Syracuse .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: