RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Post Players
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
myrtle

PostPosted: 04/16/21 6:50 pm    ::: Post Players Reply Reply with quote

It seems like almost all teams have questionable depth, and in some cases, even questionable starters, in the post. yikes means missing depth and/or a major skill/size. Maybe I'm missing someone here, but it seems like a lot of yikes. Can a team win a championship with a post yikes?

Atlanta: EWill, Cheyenne Parker, Hawkins, Billings, K.Brown - yikes

Chicago: Candace Parker, A.Stevens, Ndour, Dolson, Mack, Hebard -yikes

Connecticut: J. Jones, B. Jones, Mompremier, Bertsch, S. Jones - yikes

Dallas: Izzy, Kuier, Collier, Gustafson, Alarie - yikes

Indiana: McCowan, Lavender, Cox, Breland, Perry, Thompson - maybe yikes

Las Vegas: Liz, A'ja, Hamby, Park, Cannon, Rupert - ok if no injuries and she shows up

LAS: Nneka, Zahui B, Chiney, Anigwe, Vadeeva - yikes unless Vadeeva comes or Chiney plays like she did as a rookie

Minnesota: Fowles, Dantes, Achonwa, Collier, Shepard - ok if no injuries

New York: Howard, Stokes, Shook, Holmes - double yikes

Phoenix: Griner, B. Turner, A. Smith, Vaughn, AWT, C.Johnson - yikes

Seattle: Stewie, Russell, Dupree, Ezi, Kucowski - maybe ok, but barely

Washington: EDD, Tina, Hines-Allen, Plaisance, Alleyne - good threesome but missing a big banger

ok fans, tell me I'm wrong!

Sparksfan

PostPosted: 04/16/21 7:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How is Chicago a Yikes. They have size and skill set plus versatility 🤔🤔🤔

Randy

PostPosted: 04/16/21 7:16 pm    ::: Re: Post Players Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Can a team win a championship with a post yikes?

ok fans, tell me I'm wrong!

I think probably none of the teams you gave a yikes to seems likely to win a championship, except the Sky as a longshot.

DC might also deserve a yikes because Delle Donne's back trouble is reported to keep her out of training camp which raises a lot of questions.

snlMINAJ

PostPosted: 04/16/21 7:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

indiana, chicago, phoenix - all yikes?

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/16/21 8:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sparksfan wrote:

They have a bunch of 4's. Parker and Stevens are their best posts and both are really 4's. Parker is obviously a superstar, albeit perhaps on the downward slope of her career. Stevens is adequate. Dolson is a five but she is very marginal (just ask Rocky). I like Ndour but she is also pretty marginal. I like Mack but she will take time to adjust and needs more bulk. I like Hebard but she's too small. Maybe they can compete but it just overall looks pretty marginal to me. JMO. They can prove me wrong.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/16/21 8:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Post play is less of a thing these days. The Aces had the best record in the league with Carolyn Swords starting last year. The year before that the Mystics won it all with a 6'2 center who averaged six points and five boards per game.

PostPosted: 04/16/21 8:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snlMINAJ wrote:
indiana, chicago, phoenix - all yikes?

Chicago - see my last post
Indiana - I put the almost in there because maybe they're better than most of the yikes. But here's my thoughts. McCowan is obviously a difficult matchup for most other teams but she can only play 20-24 minutes a game and has some mobility issues. Lavender and Breland are both nice vets for depth but not a lot of 'wow' there. I see they've added Hatar so maybe she is planning to come over. So they are strong at the five, but the four is much more questionable. I'm not convinced about Cox but she's their only post who can shoot the three...sort of. I've been a fan of Perry and think she may bring something they're otherwise missing...if she even makes the team!
Phoenix - They have superstar in Griner, then Turner who is adequate, then what? Lots of mediocrity.

All the teams are of course hoping for no injuries. One injury to the one or two player would really hurt any of them.

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/16/21 8:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Post play is less of a thing these days. The Aces had the best record in the league with Carolyn Swords starting last year. The year before that the Mystics won it all with a 6'2 center who averaged six points and five boards per game.

I agree. It's possible none of this matters. But I find it interesting nonetheless. Perhaps adequate is good enough.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/16/21 8:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wait, myrtle, everyone’s either some form of “yikes” or just ok, other than Washington who has a “but” in theirs! You do realize that, despite perhaps not meeting your standards, one of these post-flawed teams has to win the championship this season, right? Laughing Wink

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/16/21 9:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Wait, myrtle, everyone’s either some form of “yikes” or just ok, other than Washington who has a “but” in theirs! You do realize that, despite perhaps not meeting your standards, one of these post-flawed teams has to win the championship this season, right? Laughing Wink

Well, who do you think is awesome? It's just hard to see an ooh, ooh, ahh, aw post rotation. I think Vegas is closest to awesome with those three posts. Ironically I really didn't like Hamby coming out of college, but she's totally won me over. That's what I'm looking for - three above average posts with skill sets that can complement each other nicely - and then there's a plus for anything like depth.

- Amanda Gorman
Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/16/21 9:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I think Vegas is closest to awesome with those three posts. Ironically I really didn't like Hamby coming out of college, but she's totally won me over. That's what I'm looking for - three above average posts with skill sets that can complement each other nicely - and then there's a plus for anything like depth.

myrtle wrote:
Las Vegas: Liz, A'ja, Hamby, Park, Cannon, Rupert - ok if no injuries and she shows up

You... you still only called them 'ok'! Laughing So calling a group 'ok' must be your seal of approval then?! Laughing Razz Very Happy

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 04/16/21 9:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Post play is less of a thing these days.

This. If Chicago is a yikes then wow. Laughing

#NATC

PostPosted: 04/16/21 9:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And Indianapolis is a maybe? LMAO.

PostPosted: 04/16/21 9:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IMO it's good for the League that we're not seeing one dominant positional group on a team high above the 11 others, especially with the group in question being the group with the most superstars. Vegas & DC if all their posts show up & are healthy clearly comprise the top tier this year. The next tier down is still competitive though. Seattle's post group is weaker but still Stewie-led, LA's is weaker but is now going all-in on the Ogwumike Sister Act, and Chicago's is stronger with the Parker switch-up. For every team that got weaker, another team got stronger. If the argument is that the whole League's post players got (noticeably) weaker from last year to this year, I disagree. 😌

Sparksfan

PostPosted: 04/17/21 9:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Sparksfan wrote:

They have a bunch of 4's. Parker and Stevens are their best posts and both are really 4's. Parker is obviously a superstar, albeit perhaps on the downward slope of her career. Stevens is adequate. Dolson is a five but she is very marginal (just ask Rocky). I like Ndour but she is also pretty marginal. I like Mack but she will take time to adjust and needs more bulk. I like Hebard but she's too small. Maybe they can compete but it just overall looks pretty marginal to me. JMO. They can prove me wrong.

Almost every post now days is a 4/5. Parker is on the down slope after winning dpoy and coming 3rd in MVP voting?

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/17/21 10:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sparksfan wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Sparksfan wrote:

Almost every post now days is a 4/5. Parker is on the down slope after winning dpoy and coming 3rd in MVP voting?

Parker is 35 years old. You think she is going to play like she's 26 indefinitely? I said she is still a superstar. But the last few years for instance it's been obvious she can't play back to backs in top form. If Wade can manage her minutes, she should still perform well for another 2-3 years. But I don't think you want her banging inside. And what the team really lacks is a good banging physical presence. JMO.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 04/17/21 10:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Vegas has Liz, Wilson and Hamby. That’s a pretty awesome group. I like Mack for defensive depth with Chicago and Hebard is also a very good backup. Stevens adds versatility too.

PostPosted: 04/17/21 11:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The game has changed ... defensively you can do more to control a post than with a perimeter player, in part because the rules and officiating make movement easier and protect the shooter more.

Sure, that dominant post is great, and can change the game. But today, I'd rather have three good perimeter scorers because you just can't defend against all of them.

PostPosted: 04/17/21 4:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
If the argument is that the whole League's post players got (noticeably) weaker from last year to this year, I disagree. 😌

No. not saying that, but with all the posts moving around, it has definitely changed up the dynamics for most teams. I'm fascinated by all that post movement and what it means for the different teams. Almost everybody had a major change except maybe Phoenix? So lots of teams will have posts trying to acclimate to new teammates and new systems. It will be interesting to see how quickly that can happen.

Atlanta brought in Ch.Parker and Hawkins
Chicago: added Candace Parker and drafted Mack, lost Ch.Parker
Connecticut: lost A. Thomas
Dallas: What to say - adding draftees Kuier, Collier
Indiana: added Lavender, lost Achonwa and Dupree
Las Vegas: hopefully added Liz
LAS: lost Ca Parker, added Zahui B, and Chiney
Minnesota: added Achonwa
New York: lost Zahui B, added Howard
Seattle: lost Howard, added Dupree.
Washington: has Tina playing and lost Hawkins

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/17/21 5:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:

You... you still only called them 'ok'! Laughing So calling a group 'ok' must be your seal of approval then?! Laughing Razz Very Happy

yeah, you might say my grading system needs revision. Laughing

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/17/21 5:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

Sure, that dominant post is great, and can change the game. But today, I'd rather have three good perimeter scorers because you just can't defend against all of them.

yep. I was only half joking in the Atlanta thread when I said maybe they'd start five guards.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 04/17/21 5:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
The game has changed ... defensively you can do more to control a post than with a perimeter player, in part because the rules and officiating make movement easier and protect the shooter more.

The rules also heavily favor teams who have the versatility to penetrate. The defensive 3 second rule combined with less contact being allowed have significantly opened up penetration lanes. It’s a very different game from the league’s inception.

PostPosted: 04/17/21 5:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

yeah, you might say my grading system needs revision. Laughing

It's ok Wink

PostPosted: 04/17/21 10:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle's out here holding everyone to Stanford standards with her grading. Wink

PostPosted: 04/17/21 10:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

traditional centers and post are gone Candace Parker killed it when she hit the scene and came into the league you can probably name only 4 players in the wnba who still play with their backs to the basket but they are pired with a versatile big. If you don't have a big who can stretch the floor now days you're at at disadvantage

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: