RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2022 WNBA Mock Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
myrtle

PostPosted: 04/04/22 11:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
So, no private workouts. Got it. Can WNBA coaches get permission to watch a player practice with their college team? Can the coach or GM bring along a friend whose height is known to gauge how tall or short someone's height really is?šŸ¤”

I don't think the height thing is that easy to disguise. If they do their homework it's pretty obvious who is 2 inches shorter than their college roster lists them. Where it is trickier is who actually may need surgery before they can play at full strength - so how honest are those coaches/trainers that they can talk to. In this draft the main question along those lines that we know about is Sabally.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 04/05/22 7:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Can one of you CBA experts explain to me why the WNBA has made it illegal to conduct private workouts with college seniors before the draft? Please also explain to me why teams can't allow their own medical doctors to examine the players either?
These two rules on the surface are VERY dumb when there is not an organized endorsed event for all team's management leaders to collect hard data on the players they want to draft?
So basically everyone is throwing darts at a dartboard blindfolded.šŸ¤”

PostPosted: 04/05/22 7:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
Can one of you CBA experts explain to me why the WNBA has made it illegal to conduct private workouts with college seniors before the draft?

Limited amount of time between the end of the season and the draft. This year there were only eight days in between. Unless players are going to fly around doing two or three per day some teams would get left out.

PostPosted: 04/05/22 8:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Plight's right - no time.

Football players have what 2-3 months before their draft day for that stuff and can even forgo bowl games to prepare for their draft.

Whereas the 'W' GM's have to go in blindly

PostPosted: 04/05/22 8:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Milks26 wrote:
DFWub2018 wrote:
Milks26 wrote:
DFWub2018 wrote:
Milks26 wrote:
Per: https://www.cbssports.com/wnba/news/2022-wnba-mock-draft-mystics-take-rhyne-howard-no-1-nalyssa-smith-highlights-fevers-four-first-round-picks/

7. Dallas Wings: Rae Burrell -- G/F, Tennessee --- NO

They won't be drafting anybody this year because they are going to trade the pick at the last minute for a pick next year.

I have a feeling they won't draft anyone either. But with Bibb you never know.

I think either he won't draft anyone, takes Kone @7 or has one more trade up his sleeve involving a 2 for 1 swap.

I say trade, but what's killing him is that ridiculous contract of MoJeff. If the pick is kept draft a PG. Kone seems like another Awak to me develop what you have instead

Thankfully this is the last year to worry about the MoJef situation, but my question is, if they keep the pick, who are you cutting to get down to 12 from 14???

DFWub2018

PostPosted: 04/05/22 8:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
DFWub2018 wrote:
root_thing wrote:
SportsGuru wrote:
Will there be a WNBA Draft Camp for the GMs and Coaches to see physicals and workouts?

As far as I can tell, the last WNBA Pre-Draft camp was held in 2008. So, the answer is probably no.

If I'm not mistaken there was one here in 2017.

There are various combines run by outside organizations, but the WNBA stopped theirs years ago. Most of these events are for low-level prospects -- people from small schools or in some cases players from more prominent programs who were not stars and/or have been out of school for a while. The showcases primarily target overseas teams, not the WNBA. However, WNBA personnel (past or present) may independently get involved. For instance, Dan Hughes will participate in a combine that is scheduled for December. See the link below.

https://overseasbasketballcombines.com/womens-international-showcase/

Now that I think about it, you are correct.

Milks26

PostPosted: 04/05/22 9:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DFWub2018 wrote:
Milks26 wrote:
DFWub2018 wrote:
Milks26 wrote:
DFWub2018 wrote:
Milks26 wrote:
Per: https://www.cbssports.com/wnba/news/2022-wnba-mock-draft-mystics-take-rhyne-howard-no-1-nalyssa-smith-highlights-fevers-four-first-round-picks/

They won't be drafting anybody this year because they are going to trade the pick at the last minute for a pick next year.

I think either he won't draft anyone, takes Kone @7 or has one more trade up his sleeve involving a 2 for 1 swap.

I say trade, but what's killing him is that ridiculous contract of MoJeff. If the pick is kept draft a PG. Kone seems like another Awak to me develop what you have instead

Thankfully this is the last year to worry about the MoJef situation, but my question is, if they keep the pick, who are you cutting to get down to 12 from 14???

I like Bella - I see potential there. But as of right now we can't depend on her to bring offense. I know what Dungee is capable of but we never got to see it last year. I don't see Bibb getting rid of his promo #1 pick yet. We're stuck with MoJeff. Morgan Bertsch developed nicely overseas - maybe she replaces Thorton?

Bella & Dungee if we keep the pick.

PostPosted: 04/05/22 9:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
awhom111 wrote:
PickledGinger wrote:
Skyfan22 wrote:
Iā€™d like Dallas to go after Sabally. Also, there is a foreign player that I heard mention of that they likened to Lauren Jackson. Maybe the Wings should take a chance on another young overseas player with tons of potential. No established superstars ever want to come to Dallas, so finding and grooming them may be their only route to greatness.

Who is "they"? Did you get a name? I don't think such a player exists.

I don't think that there is a player out there who has been reasonably compared to Lauren Jackson, even in future drafts. It would be great to have a player of that talent level and general archetype though.

Perhaps whoever it was likened an international prospect to Lauren Jackson's talent level, rather than her actual game. No one in this Draft has a game like LJ's imo. Talent-wise though, maybe they simply were referring to (and thus really high on) Sika Kone? Otherwise, Nyara Sabally's not an international prospect in the way that Kone is and LJ was (no college, 19 yrs old), but she still is one, of sorts, and she's pretty talented as well. Idk.

myrtle wrote:
I think Engstler has a better chance to transition to the 3 than most tweeners. She has a lot of skills useful at whatever position. She's not like the tweeners who spent their whole college career deep in the post. Onyenwere did a reasonably good job of transitioning and I think Engstler comes in with as many or more outside skills as Onyenwere.

It is true that more & more systems in wcbb these days are 4-out, 5-out, or simply called "positionless." Maybe we start seeing a lot more 4-to-3 transitions in future years, including with Engstler. I guess I just haven't actually seen first-hand evidence of her playing as a real perimeter player. She was labeled as a "guard" while she was at Syracuse, and then a "forward" at Louisville. I've basically only seen her while she's been at Louisville, so idk if she was actually used on the perimeter at Syracuse or not. Someone else is welcome to speak to that.

Bringing up Onyenwere individually is interesting though, as I'm not convinced that we haven't seen her best season. We've seen her act as a de facto 3 when in actuality playing the 4 (which she just seemed fine at), as well as defend the 4 straight-up (in which imo she seemed like a total liability most of the time). But that's neither here nor there; that can be discussed further on the Liberty* thread.

* - for now šŸ¤«

I think it may have been Kone

Queenie

PostPosted: 04/05/22 10:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:
So, no private workouts. Got it. Can WNBA coaches get permission to watch a player practice with their college team? Can the coach or GM bring along a friend whose height is known to gauge how tall or short someone's height really is?šŸ¤”

I don't think the height thing is that easy to disguise. If they do their homework it's pretty obvious who is 2 inches shorter than their college roster lists them.

*cough*LaurenPark-Lane*cough*

PostPosted: 04/05/22 10:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

I don't think the height thing is that easy to disguise. If they do their homework it's pretty obvious who is 2 inches shorter than their college roster lists them.

but she's so cute it doesn't matter!

tfan

PostPosted: 04/05/22 10:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Strautmane appears to be the wild card in all of this. When Engstler was a sophomore starter (the season Mangakahia used to battle cancer and then regain her strength), the starting backcourt was clearly Gabby Cooper and Kiara Lewis, and the starting center was clearly Amaya Finklea-Guity. But then you have Strautmane, who was clearly the starting SF for Georgia Tech this past season, with Cubaj and Hermosa as the starting post tandem. And with Strautmane and Engstler only having a one-inch height difference, I could absolutely believe Strautmane was really the SF and Engstler was really the PF back then. Hard to say.

In the Syracuse games I saw when Strautmane was with them I never considered her a small forward. And I didn't think Engstler was a four or a five. Engstler was considered a wing coming out of high school:

http://www.espn.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/216457

Quote:
USJN-July 2017: Strong, physical and versatile perimeter performer with offensive arsenal; quick off the dribble, delivers through contact; mid-range jumper extends to the arc with consistent delivery; cleans glass and passes with purpose in transition; a teammate,leader with unselfish persona, intense desire to compete on both ends of the floor; the elite small forward in the class of 2018. (Olson)

At Louisville she was playing with a bunch of shrimps which got her into the 4 position.

Queenie

PostPosted: 04/05/22 10:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Queenie wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

but she's so cute it doesn't matter!

I love LP (and I realize we're a year or two ahead of ourselves here with her) but if she's 5-6 I'm Rebekkah Brunson. Hell, the NCAA lists her at 5-4 and I'm not sure *that* isn't an exaggeration.

PostPosted: 04/06/22 4:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Lieberman Award Finalists
Veronica Burton Northwestern SR
Caitlin Clark Iowa SO
Destanni Henderson South Carolina SR
Olivia Miles Notre Dame FR
Khayla Pointer LSU GR

Ann Meyers Drysdale Finalists
Kierstan Bell FGCU JR
Taylor Mikesell Ohio St SR
Sonya Morris DePaul SR
Taylor Robertson Oklahoma SR
Christyn Williams UConn SR

Cheryl Miller Finalists
Emily Engstler Louisville SR
Rhyne Howard Kentucky SR
Ashley Joens Iowa St SR
Haley Jones Stanford JR
Madi Williams

Katrina McClain Finalists
Cameron Brink Stanford SO
Naz Hillmon Michigan SR
Aneesah Morrow DePaul FR
Angel Reese Maryland SO
NaLyssa Smith Baylor SR

Lisa Leslie Finalists
Aliyah Boston South Carolina JR
Elissa Cunane NCSU SR
Tamari Key Tennessee JR
Elizabeth Kitley Virginia Tech JR
Ayoka Lee Kansas St JR

Senior or grad
Early declaration
Returning senior

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
pilight

PostPosted: 04/06/22 9:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

2022 WNBA Draft Guide

https://www.the60and36.com/words/2022wnbadraftguide

PostPosted: 04/06/22 10:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The official draft page is up

https://www.wnba.com/draft2022/

PostPosted: 04/06/22 4:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/33684923/new-look-atlanta-dream-acquire-no-1-pick-wnba-draft-washington-mystics-source-says

I guess it will be Shakira Austin for the Mystics and whoever is the 14th pick.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/06/22 4:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Draft attendees

PostPosted: 04/06/22 4:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Draft attendees

The recent mocks have me wondering if Hillmon is the frontrunner for the Blackmon-Pointer Award ...

Shades

PostPosted: 04/06/22 4:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No UConn invites? Shocked

Milks26

PostPosted: 04/06/22 5:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The draft is always crazy and never go as ppl think it will (someone can always get selected). But uconn for what???

PostPosted: 04/06/22 5:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe they were a little slow declaring so WNBA left them off to be on the safe side? It seems a little weird leaving off the winner of the Ann Meyers Drysdale award.

https://news.yahoo.com/uconn-women-christyn-williams-evina-200200483.html

SportsGuru

PostPosted: 04/06/22 5:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mike Thibault is saying he will take any of the top 3 players who aren't selected #1 or #2.

https://mystics.wnba.com/news/mystics-acquire-multiple-draft-picks-in-trade-with-atlanta-dream

DFWub2018

PostPosted: 04/06/22 6:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Milks26 wrote:
DFWub2018 wrote:
Milks26 wrote:
DFWub2018 wrote:
Milks26 wrote:
DFWub2018 wrote:
Milks26 wrote:

I like Bella - I see potential there. But as of right now we can't depend on her to bring offense. I know what Dungee is capable of but we never got to see it last year. I don't see Bibb getting rid of his promo #1 pick yet. We're stuck with MoJeff. Morgan Bertsch developed nicely overseas - maybe she replaces Thorton?

Bella & Dungee if we keep the pick.

Thornton's contract is guaranteed!

Shades

PostPosted: 04/06/22 8:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mechelle Voepel buckled and put Naz Hillmon back into the first round and also put Rhyne Howard back as #1.

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/33680257/wnba-mock-draft-2022-version-50-baylor-nalyssa-smith-kentucky-rhyne-howard-go-no-1

Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/06/22 11:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FYI, the closest franchise to Rhyne Howard's listed hometown of Cleveland, Tennessee is Atlanta. Surprised The town is approximately a two-hour drive away from College Park, GA, where the Dream play. (Y'all already know I'm in the process of updating this.) So Atlanta may be a very ideal landing spot for her.
Meanwhile, I'm still over here hoping Charli Collier gets dealt away from Dallas ASAP lmfao.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next
Page 37 of 40

Jump to: