RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2022 WNBA Mock Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 38, 39, 40  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 04/18/21 9:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ohio State transfer Dorka Juhász hopes playing for UConn will help her achieve WNBA dreams and make home country of Hungary proud
https://gazette.com/ap/sports/ohio-state-transfer-dorka-juh-sz-hopes-playing-for-uconn-will-help-her-achieve-wnba/article_633d1ded-d218-582c-ade7-c36611c9987b.html

Quote:
After three seasons with the Buckeyes, Juhász faced another fork in the road: graduating in three years from Ohio State, she was well-positioned to explore other basketball opportunities. After making that initial leap to move to an entirely new country, this decision was a bit easier.

“That was a basketball decision for me. I loved everything about Ohio State. I love the girls. I had no problems anywhere here,” Juhász said. “I felt like for my basketball career, I needed to take that step to enter the portal and look for an opportunity where I can just develop and make sure that I am doing everything in my power and am in a program that can prepare me for a professional life.”

Quote:
One of my biggest goals is to go to the WNBA. As a Hungarian girl, that’s something that I’m super looking forward to [after] playing at UConn and improving, if it takes me there,” Juhász said. “I’m trying to get the most out of my experience and making sure I can get better as much as I can to develop as a player here.”

Quote:
Juhász says she doesn’t have any expectations and isn’t assuming anything as far as playing time or starting goes. As a stretch four who shot 40% from the arc her sophomore year, she brings a dimension to the Huskies’ frontcourt that they haven’t had in years.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/19/21 9:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For anyone who's interested, we have a few running lists over at WBBDaily regarding who of the 2021 Draft prospects ended up returning to school, as well as who from the 2021 Draft made themselves available for it but went undrafted and potentially could return to school if they avoid signing a pro contract. I'll try & keep it updated there as it pertains to anymore undrafted players signing contracts as well as which of the prospects returning to school have transferred to a different school. Y'all can also let me know if there's any notable names absent from the lists.

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/19/21 11:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Shades wrote:

13. Lexie Hull, Stanford
6-0 | Guard

I like her as a possible WNBA player if she takes advantage of an opening. How about you, Myrtle? Maybe she’ll be the go-to guard with Williams gone.

Next year, for better or worse, it will likely be Haley Jones' team. Lexie will continue to do what she does. She is a really strong two way wing. She's big and strong, she can score in a variety of ways, is smart and very team-oriented and she defends really well. Her ball handling is not her best asset so she wouldn't become a PG. Of course I'm prejudiced, but would definitely be surprised if she went this low, even in a strong draft.

I see Hull as the next 2-3 tweener iteration of Karlie Samuelson – albeit more well-rounded as a player than her: not physical/strong enough to play & guard the 3, not a good enough ballhandler nor quick enough defensively to play & guard the 2. Not to mention: she didn't even shoot 40% from the field this season. She'll have to step herself up a lot in the next season if she wants to get drafted in a good position. Kiana Williams' skill set will translate much better than Lexie Hull's – and in a Draft that'll have been weaker than the next one, Williams still only got picked in the middle of the 2nd round.

I think you underestimate Lexie's defensive abilities. She has defended one thru four for us. For toughness and strength, look at the UCLA games where she is primary defender on Onyenwere. At the other end, look at the Arizona games where she is secondary (and sometimes actually more effective than Wilson) defender on Aari. Against WSU she spent a lot of time on Leger-Walker. She is deceptively quick and has good lateral movement, excellent smarts and instincts. On the offensive end, she has endless motor. Will she be a superstar in the W? no. But IMO she has the skills to be an Alysha Clark, and that is pretty high praise.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 04/19/21 12:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Shades wrote:

13. Lexie Hull, Stanford
6-0 | Guard

I like her as a possible WNBA player if she takes advantage of an opening. How about you, Myrtle? Maybe she’ll be the go-to guard with Williams gone.

Next year, for better or worse, it will likely be Haley Jones' team. Lexie will continue to do what she does. She is a really strong two way wing. She's big and strong, she can score in a variety of ways, is smart and very team-oriented and she defends really well. Her ball handling is not her best asset so she wouldn't become a PG. Of course I'm prejudiced, but would definitely be surprised if she went this low, even in a strong draft.

I see Hull as the next 2-3 tweener iteration of Karlie Samuelson – albeit more well-rounded as a player than her: not physical/strong enough to play & guard the 3, not a good enough ballhandler nor quick enough defensively to play & guard the 2. Not to mention: she didn't even shoot 40% from the field this season. She'll have to step herself up a lot in the next season if she wants to get drafted in a good position. Kiana Williams' skill set will translate much better than Lexie Hull's – and in a Draft that'll have been weaker than the next one, Williams still only got picked in the middle of the 2nd round.

I think you underestimate Lexie's defensive abilities. She has defended one thru four for us. For toughness and strength, look at the UCLA games where she is primary defender on Onyenwere. At the other end, look at the Arizona games where she is secondary (and sometimes actually more effective than Wilson) defender on Aari. Against WSU she spent a lot of time on Leger-Walker. She is deceptively quick and has good lateral movement, excellent smarts and instincts. On the offensive end, she has endless motor. Will she be a superstar in the W? no. But IMO she has the skills to be an Alysha Clark, and that is pretty high praise.

From what I seen of her she has a lot of potential. If she works on her outside jump shot she can be a first round draft pick for sure. Currently she is just as good talentwise as most of players drafted the past two years that play her position.

PostPosted: 04/19/21 12:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Shades wrote:

13. Lexie Hull, Stanford
6-0 | Guard

From what I seen of her she has a lot of potential. If she works on her outside jump shot she can be a first round draft pick for sure. Currently she is just as good talentwise as most of players drafted the past two years that play her position.

PostPosted: 04/19/21 12:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I think you underestimate Lexie's defensive abilities. She has defended one thru four for us. For toughness and strength, look at the UCLA games where she is primary defender on Onyenwere. At the other end, look at the Arizona games where she is secondary (and sometimes actually more effective than Wilson) defender on Aari. Against WSU she spent a lot of time on Leger-Walker. She is deceptively quick and has good lateral movement, excellent smarts and instincts. On the offensive end, she has endless motor. Will she be a superstar in the W? No. But IMO she has the skills to be an Alysha Clark, and that is pretty high praise.

Perhaps. I'll have to watch Lexie Hull more closely going forward, since there have certainly been more eye-catching players on the Stanford roster as of late. (It also doesn't help that I still get her confused with her sister on the court, as I haven't memorized which numbers they are, so it's possible I lump Lexie's play with Lacie's at times, and vice versa.) Being a player that's more so about good fundamentals over dazzling athleticism and/or brute strength also works to keep her blended in with the team. And you're right, that's pretty much how Alysha Clark operates as well – she does her job on the defensive end so well that it can come off as low-key and at times hardly noticeable. Lexie's also a better rebounder/glass crasher than I think she gets credit for – that much I did notice particularly late in the Tournament (though I had to go back to the stat sheet to make sure I wasn't confusing her with Lacie Embarassed ). Offensively, I do look at her shooting percentages (from the past season as well as for her career) and I have concerns, considering she plays with enough talent around her that defenses wouldn't necessarily be keying in on her at all times. It could be because she's having to expend so much energy on the defensive end, I don't know. (But as you said, she has an endless motor, so that probably wouldn't explain it.) It will be interesting to see if her role on that end of the floor changes/expands moving forward, with Williams' graduation leaving a slight scoring void.

What position do you think Lexie would be in the W? Or do you think she's talented enough to play either the 2 or the 3? Also, I'm wondering if reigning Pac-12 6POY Lacie becomes a more prevalent player moving forward, at least with Stanford. As you've surely picked up by now, I have no idea what makes Lexie objectively a better player than Lacie, which seems to be the case given the disparity between their respective roles on the team.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/19/21 1:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Any info for DOB’s for players like Haley Jones & Aaliyah Boston?

PostPosted: 04/19/21 2:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Lexie is more naturally a three than a two, but also that she will do whatever is asked of her. I was surprised that she only shot 35% from three because it seems like whenever we really needed a three, she would make one. I think her sweet spot (like Clark) is the baseline three. The thing I would tell her to work on is her handle. I actually haven't seen that it is terrible but OTOH she always seems to want to pass or hand it off rather than dribble in the weave, so I think she's not that confident in it...or maybe that's what she's being told to do. Another thing that reminds me of Clark is that they will sometimes post her up against smaller players.

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/19/21 3:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Any info for DOB’s for players like Haley Jones & Aaliyah Boston?

Boston is Dec 1, 2001

Haley Jones May 23, 2001

undersized_post

PostPosted: 04/19/21 3:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My offensive impression of Lexie Hull is that she has always seemed to be able to get decent looks for herself (usually a cut to the basket, simple 1-on-1 move, or put-backs on O-boards), but she has lacked that elite touch needed to finish at a high percentage. The number of close looks she missed against South Carolina was absolutely maddening to watch. I like her game though, and I do think she has the potential to step it up during her senior year.

Her outside shooting is competent.

root_thing

PostPosted: 04/19/21 3:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
My offensive impression of Lexie Hull is that she has always seemed to be able to get decent looks for herself (usually a cut to the basket, simple 1-on-1 move, or put-backs on O-boards), but she has lacked that elite touch needed to finish at a high percentage. The number of close looks she missed against South Carolina was absolutely maddening to watch. I like her game though, and I do think she has the potential to step it up during her senior year.

Her outside shooting is competent.

I see the same thing. Lexie misses a lot of close-up shots -- either layups on drives or putbacks. She is one of many players -- both college and pro -- who needs to work on her game around the rim.

PostPosted: 04/19/21 4:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I see Hull struggling to make a W roster.

CompSci87

PostPosted: 04/19/21 4:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I think Lexie is more naturally a three than a two, but also that she will do whatever is asked of her. I was surprised that she only shot 35% from three because it seems like whenever we really needed a three, she would make one. I think her sweet spot (like Clark) is the baseline three. The thing I would tell her to work on is her handle. I actually haven't seen that it is terrible but OTOH she always seems to want to pass or hand it off rather than dribble in the weave, so I think she's not that confident in it...or maybe that's what she's being told to do. Another thing that reminds me of Clark is that they will sometimes post her up against smaller players.

Lexie mentioned at the year end virtual team banquet (on Zoom) that she is going to work on being more efficient next year, especially by finishing more consistently.

Shades

PostPosted: 04/20/21 1:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How many 2022 WNBA draft prospects can you spot in the AmeriCup pool of players?
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hHu9Y2OSRao" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 04/20/21 3:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
How many 2022 WNBA draft prospects can you spot in the AmeriCup pool of players?

12 should be eligible, but Sedona Prince has 3 (or 4, but I can't see that happening) years of eligibility left so she could come out at any time. Good group, only Khayla Pointer stands out to me as not pro talent, but I also haven't seen much of her.

PostPosted: 04/22/21 12:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

2021 AmeriCup Final Roster
Grace Berger (Indiana/Louisville, KY)
Aliyah Boston (South Carolina/St Thomas, USVI)
Jakia Brown-Turner (NC State/Oxen Hill, MD)
Veronica Burton (Northwestern/Newton, MA)
Elissa Cunane (NC State/Summerfield, NC)
Destanni Henderson (South Carolina/Fort Meyers, FL)
Naz Hillmon (Michigan/Cleveland, OH)
Rhyne Howard (Kentucky/Cleveland, TN)
Haley Jones (Stanford/Santa Cruz, CA)
Diamond Miller (Maryland/Somerset, NJ)
Ashley Owusu (Maryland/Woodbridge, VA)
Sedona Prince (Oregon/Liberty Hill, TX)
NaLyssa Smith (Baylor/Converse, TX)

Shades

PostPosted: 05/04/21 12:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/31352172/women-college-basketball-top-25-players-2021-22

If you recall last year ESPN left Charli Collier completely off their early list.
Charlie Creme is taking complete ownership of this year’s list.
He’s a prisoner to his metrics systems. Doesn’t have the vision for doing eye tests. That would take watching several games instead of just staring at box scores.

1. NaLyssa Smith | F | 6’2 | senior
2. Aliyah Boston | F | 6’5 | junior
3. Paige Bueckers | G | 5’11 | sophomore
4. Caitlin Clark | G | 6’0 | sophomore
5. Haley Jones | G | 6’1 | junior
6. Rhyne Howard | G | 6’2 | senior
7. Ashley Joens | F | 6’0 | senior
8. Naz Hillmon | F | 6’2 | senior
9. Elissa Cunane | C | 6’5 | senior
10. Ashley Owusu | G | 6’0 | junior
11. Christyn Williams | G | 5’11 | senior
12. Shakira Austin | F | 6’5 | senior
13. Diamond Miller | G | 6’3 | junior
14. Cameron Brink | F | 6’4 | sophomore
15. Zia Cooke | G | 5’9 | junior
16. Kierstan Bell | G | 6’1 | junior
17. Charlisse Leger-Walker | G | 5’10 | sophomore
18. Charisma Osborne | G | 5’9 | junior
19. Destanni Henderson | G | 5’7 | senior
20. Lorela Cubaj | F | 6’4 | senior
21. Elizabeth Kitley | C | 6’5 | junior
22. Mya Hollingshed | F | 6’3 | senior
23. Azzi Fudd | G | 5’11 | freshman
24. Rae Burrell | F | 6’1 | senior
25. Ayoka Lee | C | 6’6 | junior

He should be able to safely drop Cubaj and Hollingshed off the list and add names like Sabally, Prince, Juhász (depending on her role), Egbo, maybe ONO.

I’d bump up Kitley, bump down Jones. If Rhyne Howard is below Boston, Bueckers, and Clark, then Smith should be below them also.

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 05/04/21 3:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:
I see Hull struggling to make a W roster.

I think Lexie's biggest issue... and in the opposite way we are usually talking about... is weight. She needs to add muscle mass. She's a lot like Kate Starbird actually...super skilled but not hefty enough to translate to the next level. And I'm not saying she's not strong... she's wirey AF. But if she doesn't add some more muscle weight I see her struggling to utilize her dribble drive moves on the next level because she struggles against defenders that attack her lower body.

PostPosted: 05/04/21 5:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cate Reese was a much better prospect out of high school. Unless she has a monster season without McDonald I don't see her having a chance. I actually like Sam Thomas as a potential defensive off guard more than her teammate.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 05/04/21 10:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
Cate Reese was a much better prospect out of high school. Unless she has a monster season without McDonald I don't see her having a chance. I actually like Sam Thomas as a potential defensive off guard more than her teammate.

100% agree with all of this. Thomas has legit 3-and-D potential. I'll be very interested to see if she takes on more of a scoring role with McDonald gone; Adia Barnes has always wanted to see Thomas shoot more.

myrtle

PostPosted: 05/04/21 11:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:

100% agree with all of this. Thomas has legit 3-and-D potential. I'll be very interested to see if she takes on more of a scoring role with McDonald gone; Adia Barnes has always wanted to see Thomas shoot more.

yes you have to love Thomas' on the defensive end and she has the three ball on offense. Great attitude too.
Reese sometimes has good games but overall I've been less than impressed.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 05/04/21 12:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
If you recall last year ESPN left Charli Collier completely off their early list.
Charlie Creme is taking complete ownership of this year’s list.
He’s a prisoner to his metrics systems. Doesn’t have the vision for doing eye tests. That would take watching several games instead of just staring at box scores.

If you recall, you were a prisoner to your apparent hate/dislike for Cheryl Reeve such that you vehemently criticized the Lynx for taking Napheesa Collier and Crystal Dangerfield, in addition to criticizing both players and not being good draft picks and not being the right players for Minnesota.

Both won WNBA Rookie of the Year honors.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 05/04/21 4:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:

yes you have to love Thomas' on the defensive end and she has the three ball on offense. Great attitude too.
Reese sometimes has good games but overall I've been less than impressed.

+1. Also something is off with her shooting form.

toad455

PostPosted: 06/08/21 11:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.lines.com/wnba/drafts

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
toad455

PostPosted: 06/08/21 11:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.lines.com/wnba/drafts

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 38, 39, 40  Next
Page 2 of 40

Jump to: