RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

73 year old CVS - 5 year extension

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mzonefan

PostPosted: 04/14/21 6:35 pm    ::: 73 year old CVS - 5 year extension Reply Reply with quote

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/31258014/rutgers-gives-coach-vivian-stringer-5-year-extension

Quote:
The school said that from 2021-22 through 2025-26, the contract guarantees Stringer compensation of $5.5 million (beginning at $1 million in year one), plus performance incentives and retention bonuses. Stringer, who turned 73 in March, will be 78 at the end of this contract.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 11/10/21 2:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Rutgers women's basketball coach C. Vivian Stringer is going to miss the upcoming season because of COVID-19 concerns, the school announced Monday...The 73-year-old coach hasn't been with the team since April, when the delta variant of the virus was becoming widespread in the United States.

"This COVID situation is for real and we have to be very careful and treat it with great respect,'' she told reporters in February after Rutgers returned from a six-week pause for the virus.

Team spokesman Matt Choquette said last month when the coach skipped Big Ten media day that Stringer was worried about the lack of testing this season compared with last season, the highly contagious nature of the delta variant and her desire not to transmit the disease to her 40-year-old daughter, who has required special care since contracting spinal meningitis at age 2.

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/31258014/rutgers-gives-coach-vivian-stringer-5-year-extension

Queenie

PostPosted: 11/10/21 9:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Putting all that together, is this simply to maintain whatever health insurance she would have for herself and her daughter, as an employee of the state of New Jersey? I'm both sympathetic to her concerns and casting a questioning side-eye at Rutgers.

(now with spelling variations)
mzonefan

PostPosted: 11/12/21 6:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Putting all that together, is this simply to maintain whatever health insurance she would have for herself and her daughter, as an employee of the state of New Jersey? I'm both sympathetic to her concerns and casting a questioning side-eye at Rutgers.

Would the employer insure a 40 year old child of an employee? Where I worked for a governmental agency, it was only allowed for adult children through age 25.

Stringer can reportedly slide into an administrative role for the same compensation. There have been other coaches who have taken leaves of absence (Semrau’s was somewhat similar), but I doubt any of them had that kind of alternative work option.

shontay33

PostPosted: 11/12/21 2:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
Queenie wrote:

Would the employer insure a 40 year old child of an employee? Where I worked for a governmental agency, it was only allowed for adult children through age 25.

Stringer can reportedly slide into an administrative role for the same compensation. There have been other coaches who have taken leaves of absence (Semrau’s was somewhat similar), but I doubt any of them had that kind of alternative work option.

They should cover it. Since her daughter is disabled and unable to care for herself, I am sure that they would view her child as a dependent and continue to insure her if they have been.

robertoclementeforever

PostPosted: 11/14/21 10:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shontay33 wrote:
mzonefan wrote:
Queenie wrote:

They should cover it. Since her daughter is disabled and unable to care for herself, I am sure that they would view her child as a dependent and continue to insure her if they have been.

Stringer's new contract has nothing to do with her daughter's healthcare coverage. Her daughter is permanently disabled since childhood and as such, was/is entitled to Medicare with the State of NJ subsidizing non covered costs thru MEDICAID. Although living with her mother, the 40 year old daughter is treated as a single adult for healthcare purposes and does not prevent Stringer from claiming her as a dependent for tax purposes.

What I surmise is the compelling reason for the new contract is that Rutgers is being very differential in its treatment towards Stringer. She is, by all objective criteria, a Legend in WCBB. She is going out on her own terms and I believe THE B1G and Rutgers' traditions going back to Paul Robeson demand it.

C. Vivian Stringer has taken care of her permanently disabled daughter her entire life even though she qualified for institutionalization. Her greatest fear is to catch the virus and pass it on to her daughter. As a father of a permanently disabled 41 year old son, I totally understand her position. COVID is the wild card in this new contract, nothing else.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: