RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

Duante Wright
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Ex-Ref



Joined: 04 Oct 2009
Posts: 6588



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/13/21 1:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Officer Potter has resigned.



_________________
"The biggest antidote to his poison is the vote.” — Nancy Pelosi

"Our democracy is designed to speak truth to power." — Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

"If this guy can be Senator, you can do anything." — Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
Ex-Ref



Joined: 04 Oct 2009
Posts: 6588



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/13/21 1:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
pilight wrote:
Cops shouldn't carry guns routinely. Keep 'em in the car unless the situation is already violent.


Ask Officer Breanna Leath how quickly things can escalate. Oh wait, yeah, you can't. Crying or Very sad


She had a gun. It made no difference.


Never said it would make a difference. Just that things can escalate quickly and being required to keep your gun in the cruiser isn't a well thought out solution and will get more cops killed.

And if more cops get killed, how long do you think before they are carrying them again and how much more likely will they be to use them?



_________________
"The biggest antidote to his poison is the vote.” — Nancy Pelosi

"Our democracy is designed to speak truth to power." — Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

"If this guy can be Senator, you can do anything." — Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
jammerbirdi



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 20865



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/13/21 1:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Philando Castillo (among plenty of others) would indicate that doing exactly what you are supposed to do doesn't always make a bit of difference.


Again, shit sucks. The reason all this is necessary is because of criminals. People blaming the cops who aren’t also vociferously blaming criminals are driven by politics and current trends.The streets in so many big cities weren’t safe before last year. That was unacceptable in my opinion. I want them to be made safe, come hell or high water.

Now things are so much worse in cities that it is unsafe to walk the streets at night. That’s because of the push back last year against law enforcement which emboldened criminals and demoralized police officers. I predict we are now as a result of last summer entering a period of lawlessness and rampant criminality that will forever change the consensus on what to do with criminals and how much we all appreciate the existence of those we task with handling this problem for us.

Because a significant percentage of human beings are completely abhorrent criminally violent uncontrollable murderers and mass shooters and rapists and robbers and burglars and car jackers and assailants and home invasion specialists and on and on. Until the streets are safe everywhere in this country there’s a mountain of work yet to be done.

If people care more about a handful of what are so often criminals unnecessarily killed by police than they do the tens of thousands still being quite intentionally murdered every year in America then I would suggest some human shortcomings in judgment are at work that are responsible for the continued passionate outcries that are occurring around the one but not the other.



_________________
Every woman who has ever been presented with a career/sex quid pro quo in the entertainment industry should come forward and simply say, “Me, too.” - jammer The New York Times 10/10/17
tfan



Joined: 31 May 2010
Posts: 8571



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/13/21 8:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

Add to that, there’s the George Floyd trial that’s being covered heavily locally right now on every channel. It’s kinda hard for a black man to trust a system that’s geared against them and don’t value their lives.


The police system is geared against people - of any race - who resist arrest. Changing "police may shoot you if you resist arrest" to "cops are against black men" or "cops are murdering black men" is harmful to black men getting arrested.


jammerbirdi



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 20865



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/14/21 11:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Officer Potter has resigned.


NYTimes:

“Ms. Potter, 48, had served on the force for 26 years and was training other officers when they pulled Mr. Wright’s car over on Sunday afternoon...”




_________________
Every woman who has ever been presented with a career/sex quid pro quo in the entertainment industry should come forward and simply say, “Me, too.” - jammer The New York Times 10/10/17
Richard 77



Joined: 19 Nov 2004
Posts: 4022
Location: Lake Mills, Wisconsin


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/14/21 4:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She's being charged with Manslaughter.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ex-officer-kim-potter-be-charged-2nd-degree-manslaughter-daunte-n1264025

Will be interesting to see how this plays out. Glad I wouldn't be a juror. Though they have my sincere condolences, I wouldn't be on the side of the family.



_________________
If you cannot inspire yourself to read a book about women's basketball, or any book about women's sports, you cannot inspire any young girl or boy to write a book about them. http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Richardstrek
justintyme



Joined: 08 Jul 2012
Posts: 8349
Location: Northfield, MN


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/14/21 5:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richard 77 wrote:
She's being charged with Manslaughter.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ex-officer-kim-potter-be-charged-2nd-degree-manslaughter-daunte-n1264025

Will be interesting to see how this plays out. Glad I wouldn't be a juror. Though they have my sincere condolences, I wouldn't be on the side of the family.

I mean, it's pretty much a slam dunk manslaughter conviction. Accidentally killing someone due to your own negligence is pretty much the definition of Man 2. I wouldn't be surprised to see a plea dealwhere there is an agreement on a prison sentence short of the max (10 years) in return for a guilty plea.



_________________
↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 63236
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/14/21 5:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Richard 77 wrote:
She's being charged with Manslaughter.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ex-officer-kim-potter-be-charged-2nd-degree-manslaughter-daunte-n1264025

Will be interesting to see how this plays out. Glad I wouldn't be a juror. Though they have my sincere condolences, I wouldn't be on the side of the family.

I mean, it's pretty much a slam dunk manslaughter conviction. Accidentally killing someone due to your own negligence is pretty much the definition of Man 2. I wouldn't be surprised to see a plea dealwhere there is an agreement on a prison sentence short of the max (10 years) in return for a guilty plea.


More likely is the defense will say "qualified immunity" and all the living players in the farce will go home. The cop may or may not need to add "I was afraid for my life".



_________________
The power of the police to fulfill their functions and duties is dependent on public approval of their existence, actions and behavior, and on their ability to secure and maintain public respect
justintyme



Joined: 08 Jul 2012
Posts: 8349
Location: Northfield, MN


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/14/21 6:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
justintyme wrote:
Richard 77 wrote:
She's being charged with Manslaughter.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ex-officer-kim-potter-be-charged-2nd-degree-manslaughter-daunte-n1264025

Will be interesting to see how this plays out. Glad I wouldn't be a juror. Though they have my sincere condolences, I wouldn't be on the side of the family.

I mean, it's pretty much a slam dunk manslaughter conviction. Accidentally killing someone due to your own negligence is pretty much the definition of Man 2. I wouldn't be surprised to see a plea dealwhere there is an agreement on a prison sentence short of the max (10 years) in return for a guilty plea.


More likely is the defense will say "qualified immunity" and all the living players in the farce will go home. The cop may or may not need to add "I was afraid for my life".


Qualified immunity wouldn't apply to this. And seeing as the defense as to why it's not murder is pretty much "because I only committed manslaughter" the idea that she was afraid for her life is not a realistic argument.



_________________
↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
jammerbirdi



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 20865



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/15/21 6:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That charge is one of the few things that has made perfect sense in any of these stories in the last year.



_________________
Every woman who has ever been presented with a career/sex quid pro quo in the entertainment industry should come forward and simply say, “Me, too.” - jammer The New York Times 10/10/17
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 63236
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/15/21 7:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
pilight wrote:
justintyme wrote:
Richard 77 wrote:
She's being charged with Manslaughter.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ex-officer-kim-potter-be-charged-2nd-degree-manslaughter-daunte-n1264025

Will be interesting to see how this plays out. Glad I wouldn't be a juror. Though they have my sincere condolences, I wouldn't be on the side of the family.

I mean, it's pretty much a slam dunk manslaughter conviction. Accidentally killing someone due to your own negligence is pretty much the definition of Man 2. I wouldn't be surprised to see a plea dealwhere there is an agreement on a prison sentence short of the max (10 years) in return for a guilty plea.


More likely is the defense will say "qualified immunity" and all the living players in the farce will go home. The cop may or may not need to add "I was afraid for my life".


Qualified immunity wouldn't apply to this. And seeing as the defense as to why it's not murder is pretty much "because I only committed manslaughter" the idea that she was afraid for her life is not a realistic argument.



So you say. I disbelieve there will be any substantive punishment levied.



_________________
The power of the police to fulfill their functions and duties is dependent on public approval of their existence, actions and behavior, and on their ability to secure and maintain public respect
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 63236
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/15/21 2:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Also in Minnesota

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2021/04/14/police-man-drags-hutchinson-officer-with-car-hits-him-with-hammer-after-face-mask-dispute/

Quote:
The officer approached the car, then became stuck in the driver’s side window. The suspect sped off with the officer hanging on, and then struck him on the head with a hammer.


Amazingly this white man was not shot or tased despite not complying and then physically assaulting an officer. They didn't even shoot out his tires.

Actual video of the incident here: https://www.instagram.com/p/CNsVCBnAx9l/?hl=en

Daunte Wright was killed because he was black. No other reason.



_________________
The power of the police to fulfill their functions and duties is dependent on public approval of their existence, actions and behavior, and on their ability to secure and maintain public respect
GlennMacGrady



Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 6930
Location: Heisenberg


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/15/21 5:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here is the Minnesota crime with which Kim Potter is charged:

Quote:
609.205 MANSLAUGHTER IN THE SECOND DEGREE.

A person who causes the death of another by any of the following means is guilty of manslaughter in the second degree and may be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than ten years or to payment of a fine of not more than $20,000, or both:

(1) by the person's culpable negligence whereby the person creates an unreasonable risk, and consciously takes chances of causing death or great bodily harm to another; or

(2) by shooting another with a firearm or other dangerous weapon as a result of negligently believing the other to be a deer or other animal; or

(3) by setting a spring gun, pit fall, deadfall, snare, or other like dangerous weapon or device; or

(4) by negligently or intentionally permitting any animal, known by the person to have vicious propensities or to have caused great or substantial bodily harm in the past, to run uncontrolled off the owner's premises, or negligently failing to keep it properly confined; or

(5) by committing or attempting to commit a violation of section 609.378 (neglect or endangerment of a child), and murder in the first, second, or third degree is not committed thereby.


Obviously, only section (1) can apply to this situation.

Potter will argue that none of the following elements of section (1) can proved beyond a reasonable doubt:

-- That she was "negligent" in the technical legal sense.

-- That she created an "unreasonable risk". (She'll argue Wright created the risk; and that all she intended to do was follow routine police procedure for possibly armed suspects resisting arrest: tasing).

-- That she fired a gun instead of a taser "consciously".

-- That a taser (which she consciously believed she was using) chances "death or great bodily harm".

The jury will have to decide whether the prosecution has proved each of these four elements beyond all reasonable doubts or to a moral certainty.

I suspect the key factual issue will center on her "consciousness" of what weapon she was firing. Potter will testify that, in the heat of the sudden few seconds, she consciously (but mistakenly) believed she was firing a taser. The video will support this testimony because she can be heard warning Wright, "I'll tase you . . . I'll tase you . . .. taser . . . taser . . . taser." If there is no testimony or other evidence to prove that Potter consciously and intentionally shot her gun at Wright to cause him death or great bodily harm, the jury will have to infer that conclusion (beyond all reasonable doubt) from the context and circumstances.
justintyme



Joined: 08 Jul 2012
Posts: 8349
Location: Northfield, MN


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/15/21 6:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Here is the Minnesota crime with which Kim Potter is charged:

Quote:
609.205 MANSLAUGHTER IN THE SECOND DEGREE.

A person who causes the death of another by any of the following means is guilty of manslaughter in the second degree and may be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than ten years or to payment of a fine of not more than $20,000, or both:

(1) by the person's culpable negligence whereby the person creates an unreasonable risk, and consciously takes chances of causing death or great bodily harm to another; or

(2) by shooting another with a firearm or other dangerous weapon as a result of negligently believing the other to be a deer or other animal; or

(3) by setting a spring gun, pit fall, deadfall, snare, or other like dangerous weapon or device; or

(4) by negligently or intentionally permitting any animal, known by the person to have vicious propensities or to have caused great or substantial bodily harm in the past, to run uncontrolled off the owner's premises, or negligently failing to keep it properly confined; or

(5) by committing or attempting to commit a violation of section 609.378 (neglect or endangerment of a child), and murder in the first, second, or third degree is not committed thereby.


Obviously, only section (1) can apply to this situation.

Potter will argue that none of the following elements of section (1) can proved beyond a reasonable doubt:

-- That she was "negligent" in the technical legal sense.

-- That she created an "unreasonable risk". (She'll argue Wright created the risk; and that all she intended to do was follow routine police procedure for possibly armed suspects resisting arrest: tasing).

-- That she fired a gun instead of a taser "consciously".

-- That a taser (which she consciously believed she was using) chances "death or great bodily harm".

The jury will have to decide whether the prosecution has proved each of these four elements beyond all reasonable doubts or to a moral certainty.

I suspect the key factual issue will center on her "consciousness" of what weapon she was firing. Potter will testify that, in the heat of the sudden few seconds, she consciously (but mistakenly) believed she was firing a taser. The video will support this testimony because she can be heard warning Wright, "I'll tase you . . . I'll tase you . . .. taser . . . taser . . . taser." If there is no testimony or other evidence to prove that Potter consciously and intentionally shot her gun at Wright to cause him death or great bodily harm, the jury will have to infer that conclusion (beyond all reasonable doubt) from the context and circumstances.

No, all they have to prove is that the way she handled her gun was "extreme negligence". A person has an affirmative responsibility to control a weapon in their possession. Mistaking it for a taser and firing it by mistake is considered extreme negligence.

The conscious part is not quite as you are describing it. Anyone who consciously chooses to carry a gun on their person has consciously chosen to chance the death or great bodily harm of another. This is why a gun owner who is simply cleaning their gun and the gun goes off killing someone is guilty of Manslaughter Two. Because they were negligent in their handling of the gun and had consciously chosen to have the gun on their person, even if they didn't consciously fire the weapon



_________________
↑↑↓↓←→←→BA


Last edited by justintyme on 04/15/21 6:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
tfan



Joined: 31 May 2010
Posts: 8571



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/15/21 6:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Also in Minnesota

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2021/04/14/police-man-drags-hutchinson-officer-with-car-hits-him-with-hammer-after-face-mask-dispute/

Quote:
The officer approached the car, then became stuck in the driver’s side window. The suspect sped off with the officer hanging on, and then struck him on the head with a hammer.


Amazingly this white man was not shot or tased despite not complying and then physically assaulting an officer. They didn't even shoot out his tires.

Actual video of the incident here: https://www.instagram.com/p/CNsVCBnAx9l/?hl=en

Daunte Wright was killed because he was black. No other reason.


There are more white men killed by the police each year than black men. It seems like none are since none go viral. But you can see the stats here:
https://www.statista.com/statistics/585152/people-shot-to-death-by-us-police-by-race/

They don't show any aggregated statistics on what triggered the shooting. But I don't think it is unreasonable to assume that some of the [457, 399, 370 , 457] white men shot by the police in the last 4 years were done so because they were resisting arrest. And the few studies that have been done on the matter don't conclude that a black man in an incident with the police is more likely to be shot by the police than a white man. When people say black men are more likely to be shot they are always going "per capita" not the incident statistics or even arrest statistics.




Last edited by tfan on 04/15/21 7:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
jammerbirdi



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 20865



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/15/21 6:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Also in Minnesota

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2021/04/14/police-man-drags-hutchinson-officer-with-car-hits-him-with-hammer-after-face-mask-dispute/

Quote:
The officer approached the car, then became stuck in the driver’s side window. The suspect sped off with the officer hanging on, and then struck him on the head with a hammer.


Amazingly this white man was not shot or tased despite not complying and then physically assaulting an officer. They didn't even shoot out his tires.

Actual video of the incident here: https://www.instagram.com/p/CNsVCBnAx9l/?hl=en

Daunte Wright was killed because he was black. No other reason.


Ugh. He was a wanted young man. Forcing other humans (who probably just watched the recent Georgia and New Mexico videos of cops being shot by people they’d stopped) to make split second decisions in what they must perceive as life and death situations is going to result in a certain number of citizen fatalities.

Blaming it on race? We fucked that up as a country SO long ago and we aren’t fixing it. And it’s the same answer for all working class and poorer people in America regardless of race. Actually it’s the same answer for the affluent as well. Education and better opportunities. But the elites hoard both better educations and more desired career paths. And they keep multiplying like every other sector of the population and they need those positions in all of those wonderful careers and they’re never going to hand all of that over to people from the lower classes regardless of race.

But certainly, African Americans should be priority one in reimagining and remaking education and opportunities for the kind of futures that so many people take for granted as their birthright.

But here’s the news flash. It’s never going to happen. They have us all. Maybe not you guys. Maybe not me. But my people back home, certainly. And vast swaths of America. They have the entire lower 60% of the population economically right where they want thrm and they’re not letting them up off that fast food-line floor mat. That’s all there is to it.

The result, if we’re being honest and not a bunch of virtue signaling SJW’s, is that criminality in America is well beyond what we should be expected to tolerate. Whatever got us here and keeps us here, we are where we are. And yet the pushback against law enforcement continues every time video captures another outrageous incident of either a mistake by a stressed out cop or a demon who should have never been a cop to begin with.

If this kid wasn’t black and working class his life would no doubt have had a different trajectory. But... as did George Floyd by the way... he decided at some point to stick a gun in a women’s face during an attempted robbery and there was a warrant out for him failing to appear on that charge. He would have been considered to be a threat by the police. Then shit happens.

But to say he was specifically or intentionally shot because he was black in the way that you’re saying is something that is being asserted now by millions but it’s not what happened. A black cop was trying to handcuff a guy wanted on a weapons charge related warrant and the guy resisted and got back in his car. At that point another officer attempted to taze the guy after repeated warnings and we know the rest. Her life has been destroyed. She did not intentionally kill the kid. Maybe make tasers a different shape than guns entirely? Hello.

The racially divisive rhetoric and the overall volume of it and the lies... it’s all leading us straight into a race war. Resist the coming race war by de-escalating the inflammatory racially divisive rhetoric. Turn down the volume. Stop listening to celebrity assholes who have armed security and wouldn’t dream of sending their kids to a public school with Daunte Wright.



_________________
Every woman who has ever been presented with a career/sex quid pro quo in the entertainment industry should come forward and simply say, “Me, too.” - jammer The New York Times 10/10/17
undersized_post



Joined: 01 Mar 2021
Posts: 1083
Location: midwest/indiana/iowa


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/15/21 10:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
pilight wrote:
Also in Minnesota

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2021/04/14/police-man-drags-hutchinson-officer-with-car-hits-him-with-hammer-after-face-mask-dispute/

Quote:
The officer approached the car, then became stuck in the driver’s side window. The suspect sped off with the officer hanging on, and then struck him on the head with a hammer.


Amazingly this white man was not shot or tased despite not complying and then physically assaulting an officer. They didn't even shoot out his tires.

Actual video of the incident here: https://www.instagram.com/p/CNsVCBnAx9l/?hl=en

Daunte Wright was killed because he was black. No other reason.


Ugh. He was a wanted young man. Forcing other humans (who probably just watched the recent Georgia and New Mexico videos of cops being shot by people they’d stopped) to make split second decisions in what they must perceive as life and death situations is going to result in a certain number of citizen fatalities.

Blaming it on race? We fucked that up as a country SO long ago and we aren’t fixing it. And it’s the same answer for all working class and poorer people in America regardless of race. Actually it’s the same answer for the affluent as well. Education and better opportunities. But the elites hoard both better educations and more desired career paths. And they keep multiplying like every other sector of the population and they need those positions in all of those wonderful careers and they’re never going to hand all of that over to people from the lower classes regardless of race.

But certainly, African Americans should be priority one in reimagining and remaking education and opportunities for the kind of futures that so many people take for granted as their birthright.

But here’s the news flash. It’s never going to happen. They have us all. Maybe not you guys. Maybe not me. But my people back home, certainly. And vast swaths of America. They have the entire lower 60% of the population economically right where they want thrm and they’re not letting them up off that fast food-line floor mat. That’s all there is to it.

The result, if we’re being honest and not a bunch of virtue signaling SJW’s, is that criminality in America is well beyond what we should be expected to tolerate. Whatever got us here and keeps us here, we are where we are. And yet the pushback against law enforcement continues every time video captures another outrageous incident of either a mistake by a stressed out cop or a demon who should have never been a cop to begin with.

If this kid wasn’t black and working class his life would no doubt have had a different trajectory. But... as did George Floyd by the way... he decided at some point to stick a gun in a women’s face during an attempted robbery and there was a warrant out for him failing to appear on that charge. He would have been considered to be a threat by the police. Then shit happens.

But to say he was specifically or intentionally shot because he was black in the way that you’re saying is something that is being asserted now by millions but it’s not what happened. A black cop was trying to handcuff a guy wanted on a weapons charge related warrant and the guy resisted and got back in his car. At that point another officer attempted to taze the guy after repeated warnings and we know the rest. Her life has been destroyed. She did not intentionally kill the kid. Maybe make tasers a different shape than guns entirely? Hello.

The racially divisive rhetoric and the overall volume of it and the lies... it’s all leading us straight into a race war. Resist the coming race war by de-escalating the inflammatory racially divisive rhetoric. Turn down the volume. Stop listening to celebrity assholes who have armed security and wouldn’t dream of sending their kids to a public school with Daunte Wright.


I agree with some of your points.
But, also --
Educate yourself about implicit bias.


jammerbirdi



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 20865



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/16/21 12:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:
pilight wrote:
Also in Minnesota

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2021/04/14/police-man-drags-hutchinson-officer-with-car-hits-him-with-hammer-after-face-mask-dispute/

Quote:
The officer approached the car, then became stuck in the driver’s side window. The suspect sped off with the officer hanging on, and then struck him on the head with a hammer.


Amazingly this white man was not shot or tased despite not complying and then physically assaulting an officer. They didn't even shoot out his tires.

Actual video of the incident here: https://www.instagram.com/p/CNsVCBnAx9l/?hl=en

Daunte Wright was killed because he was black. No other reason.


Ugh. He was a wanted young man. Forcing other humans (who probably just watched the recent Georgia and New Mexico videos of cops being shot by people they’d stopped) to make split second decisions in what they must perceive as life and death situations is going to result in a certain number of citizen fatalities.

Blaming it on race? We fucked that up as a country SO long ago and we aren’t fixing it. And it’s the same answer for all working class and poorer people in America regardless of race. Actually it’s the same answer for the affluent as well. Education and better opportunities. But the elites hoard both better educations and more desired career paths. And they keep multiplying like every other sector of the population and they need those positions in all of those wonderful careers and they’re never going to hand all of that over to people from the lower classes regardless of race.

But certainly, African Americans should be priority one in reimagining and remaking education and opportunities for the kind of futures that so many people take for granted as their birthright.

But here’s the news flash. It’s never going to happen. They have us all. Maybe not you guys. Maybe not me. But my people back home, certainly. And vast swaths of America. They have the entire lower 60% of the population economically right where they want thrm and they’re not letting them up off that fast food-line floor mat. That’s all there is to it.

The result, if we’re being honest and not a bunch of virtue signaling SJW’s, is that criminality in America is well beyond what we should be expected to tolerate. Whatever got us here and keeps us here, we are where we are. And yet the pushback against law enforcement continues every time video captures another outrageous incident of either a mistake by a stressed out cop or a demon who should have never been a cop to begin with.

If this kid wasn’t black and working class his life would no doubt have had a different trajectory. But... as did George Floyd by the way... he decided at some point to stick a gun in a women’s face during an attempted robbery and there was a warrant out for him failing to appear on that charge. He would have been considered to be a threat by the police. Then shit happens.

But to say he was specifically or intentionally shot because he was black in the way that you’re saying is something that is being asserted now by millions but it’s not what happened. A black cop was trying to handcuff a guy wanted on a weapons charge related warrant and the guy resisted and got back in his car. At that point another officer attempted to taze the guy after repeated warnings and we know the rest. Her life has been destroyed. She did not intentionally kill the kid. Maybe make tasers a different shape than guns entirely? Hello.

The racially divisive rhetoric and the overall volume of it and the lies... it’s all leading us straight into a race war. Resist the coming race war by de-escalating the inflammatory racially divisive rhetoric. Turn down the volume. Stop listening to celebrity assholes who have armed security and wouldn’t dream of sending their kids to a public school with Daunte Wright.


I agree with some of your points.
But, also --
Educate yourself about implicit bias.


Well thank you but I’m not going off to educate myself on implicit bias, I understand what both of those words mean individually and when used together. That’s actually what you’re here for and what this place is here for. Explain what you mean and how you think my post shows a blind spot on the impact of implicit bias.



_________________
Every woman who has ever been presented with a career/sex quid pro quo in the entertainment industry should come forward and simply say, “Me, too.” - jammer The New York Times 10/10/17


Last edited by jammerbirdi on 04/16/21 12:42 am; edited 1 time in total
undersized_post



Joined: 01 Mar 2021
Posts: 1083
Location: midwest/indiana/iowa


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/16/21 12:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
undersized_post wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:
pilight wrote:
Also in Minnesota

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2021/04/14/police-man-drags-hutchinson-officer-with-car-hits-him-with-hammer-after-face-mask-dispute/

Quote:
The officer approached the car, then became stuck in the driver’s side window. The suspect sped off with the officer hanging on, and then struck him on the head with a hammer.


Amazingly this white man was not shot or tased despite not complying and then physically assaulting an officer. They didn't even shoot out his tires.

Actual video of the incident here: https://www.instagram.com/p/CNsVCBnAx9l/?hl=en

Daunte Wright was killed because he was black. No other reason.


Ugh. He was a wanted young man. Forcing other humans (who probably just watched the recent Georgia and New Mexico videos of cops being shot by people they’d stopped) to make split second decisions in what they must perceive as life and death situations is going to result in a certain number of citizen fatalities.

Blaming it on race? We fucked that up as a country SO long ago and we aren’t fixing it. And it’s the same answer for all working class and poorer people in America regardless of race. Actually it’s the same answer for the affluent as well. Education and better opportunities. But the elites hoard both better educations and more desired career paths. And they keep multiplying like every other sector of the population and they need those positions in all of those wonderful careers and they’re never going to hand all of that over to people from the lower classes regardless of race.

But certainly, African Americans should be priority one in reimagining and remaking education and opportunities for the kind of futures that so many people take for granted as their birthright.

But here’s the news flash. It’s never going to happen. They have us all. Maybe not you guys. Maybe not me. But my people back home, certainly. And vast swaths of America. They have the entire lower 60% of the population economically right where they want thrm and they’re not letting them up off that fast food-line floor mat. That’s all there is to it.

The result, if we’re being honest and not a bunch of virtue signaling SJW’s, is that criminality in America is well beyond what we should be expected to tolerate. Whatever got us here and keeps us here, we are where we are. And yet the pushback against law enforcement continues every time video captures another outrageous incident of either a mistake by a stressed out cop or a demon who should have never been a cop to begin with.

If this kid wasn’t black and working class his life would no doubt have had a different trajectory. But... as did George Floyd by the way... he decided at some point to stick a gun in a women’s face during an attempted robbery and there was a warrant out for him failing to appear on that charge. He would have been considered to be a threat by the police. Then shit happens.

But to say he was specifically or intentionally shot because he was black in the way that you’re saying is something that is being asserted now by millions but it’s not what happened. A black cop was trying to handcuff a guy wanted on a weapons charge related warrant and the guy resisted and got back in his car. At that point another officer attempted to taze the guy after repeated warnings and we know the rest. Her life has been destroyed. She did not intentionally kill the kid. Maybe make tasers a different shape than guns entirely? Hello.

The racially divisive rhetoric and the overall volume of it and the lies... it’s all leading us straight into a race war. Resist the coming race war by de-escalating the inflammatory racially divisive rhetoric. Turn down the volume. Stop listening to celebrity assholes who have armed security and wouldn’t dream of sending their kids to a public school with Daunte Wright.


I agree with some of your points.
But, also --
Educate yourself about implicit bias.


Well thank you but I’m not going off to educate myself on implicit bias, I understand what both of those words mean individually and when used together. That’s actually what you’re here for and what this place is here for. Explain what you mean and how you think my post shows an ignorance on the impact of implicit bias.


bolded


jammerbirdi



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 20865



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/16/21 12:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They had a warrant for this specific person. It was a warrant having to do with a weapons violation, the weapon was a gun, and the violation I believe was brandishing the gun during an armed robbery or attempted armed robbery. They got the guy, pulled him over, attempted to handcuff him and he broke free and got back in the car to escape. There was a struggle and one of the cops mistakenly fired her gun instead of the taser she thought she was discharging and killed the guy. I’ve already addressed in detail the racial and socio-economic failures that put this guy on the path to ending up in his position. What I don’t understand is where you’re seeing me missing implicit bias in my comment.



_________________
Every woman who has ever been presented with a career/sex quid pro quo in the entertainment industry should come forward and simply say, “Me, too.” - jammer The New York Times 10/10/17
undersized_post



Joined: 01 Mar 2021
Posts: 1083
Location: midwest/indiana/iowa


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/16/21 1:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"But to say he was specifically or intentionally shot because he was black in the way that you’re saying is something that is being asserted now by millions but it’s not what happened."

The vast majority of people are not claiming it is as simple as, "The officer specifically and intentionally shot him because he was black." (It's rarely/never this simple.) Implicit bias plays a role in that the officer was implicitly biased to perceive a higher threat of danger because he was black. The racial element can't be separated.


Richard 77



Joined: 19 Nov 2004
Posts: 4022
Location: Lake Mills, Wisconsin


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/16/21 3:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If I were on her legal defense team, I would remind the jury that Officer Potter shot at Wright one time as if firing her taser as she believed because tasers only need to be fired once. Had she willingly and knowingly pulled her gun on him, there would have been the chance she would have shot at him multiple times.



_________________
If you cannot inspire yourself to read a book about women's basketball, or any book about women's sports, you cannot inspire any young girl or boy to write a book about them. http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Richardstrek
justintyme



Joined: 08 Jul 2012
Posts: 8349
Location: Northfield, MN


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/16/21 10:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richard 77 wrote:
If I were on her legal defense team, I would remind the jury that Officer Potter shot at Wright one time as if firing her taser as she believed because tasers only need to be fired once. Had she willingly and knowingly pulled her gun on him, there would have been the chance she would have shot at him multiple times.

If she had willingly and knowingly pulled her gun and the prosecution could prove it, she would be charged with murder, not manslaughter.

This isn't a defense against manslaughter 2, which is what someone gets charged with when they make a "tragic mistake".



_________________
↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
Howee



Joined: 27 Nov 2009
Posts: 13669
Location: OREGON (in my heart)


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/17/21 11:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:

There are more white men killed by the police each year than black men. It seems like none are since none go viral. But you can see the stats here:
https://www.statista.com/statistics/585152/people-shot-to-death-by-us-police-by-race/.


This is true. (The 'going viral' factor is dependent upon various factors, for what that's worth)

This graphic demonstrates that. I am curious as to how this data matches population/race percentages.

I'd say it's pretty obvious that the majority (>50%) of these deaths involve the slaying of criminals that left the police no other option. But honestly....can we ever know how many Dauntes or Georges or Philandos (or ANY people of ANY race) REALLY perished at the hands of unnecessary force?

I am VERY grateful for my local police force. I am VERY grateful I do not live in an urban setting. I am VERY grateful I don't live in a veritable Police State, nor in the Old Wild West. But policemen are humans, given a uniquely powerful position over Life and Death. Their accountability must be of the highest order.



_________________
Oregon: Go Ducks!
"Inévitablement, les canards voleront"
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 63236
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/23/21 9:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
The streets in so many big cities weren’t safe before last year. That was unacceptable in my opinion. I want them to be made safe, come hell or high water.


Also, jammer, this is complete fabrication. Crime rates are way down all over the country. The murder rate in 2018 was 5.0 per 100k people, the same as it was in 1960 when you freely roamed the streets.



_________________
The power of the police to fulfill their functions and duties is dependent on public approval of their existence, actions and behavior, and on their ability to secure and maintain public respect
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin